Page 94 of 112 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495969798104 ... LastLast
Results 4,651 to 4,700 of 5573
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    Attachment 985500

Who's out and about. Let's see where you've been this Spring.
    Got out on the W&OD Canal trail along the Potomac River just north of DC. I was able test my new cockpit - Velo Orange Seine Bars with Ergon GC1 grips - this is the setup ive wanted for a long time. Brought the obligatory Rivendell hipster smoked salmon and also my hammock from Warbonnet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Salsa Fargo Thread-image.jpg  

The Salsa Fargo Thread-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I have a full frame bag on my 58cm Vaya (your Fargo looks similar sized), and it's hard to measure the volume directly. But I estimate about 12 liters.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fourfa View Post
    I have a full frame bag on my 58cm Vaya (your Fargo looks similar sized), and it's hard to measure the volume directly. But I estimate about 12 liters.
    That is less than I was hoping for. Thanks.
    ''Anybody who thinks wood isn't magnetic, hasn't ridden a bike in the forest.''

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentilo View Post
    This spring? Upper Bavaria, round the lake trip with some smoked trouts in the daypack.

What tires are those ?
    Nice pic/bike
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    What tires are those ?
    Nice pic/bike
    Thanks
    Judging on the walls of the tire I'd say Onza Canis' (skinwall version).

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    @ Tinman: Yep, that are Onza Canis 2.25. Weight is 680 g. Roll resistance? Not a Racing Ralph, but okay. Quite good puncture resistance (one flat tire in 5.000 km).

Another pic:

P.S.: If you like Skinwalls, the Maxxis Ardent 2.4 have more volume, more grip (and more weight).

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    IMO, the brooks tape has more grip when wet. I suppose you could consider it slippy - doesn't bother me, but then again I always wear fingerless cycling gloves. Sweaty hands will slip on anything

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yeah I noticed that too. Grip is fine when the tape is wet, but once it dries it just becomes a bit too slippery for me. Sweaty hands actually help getting grip on Brooks tape, but I don't have sweaty hands that often, even when I'm riding hard.

@Sentilo, that is one good looking Fargo you got there! Love the blue!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    New to this forum, we have been endurance road bikers for several years doing the STP (Seattle to Portland 205 miles) in 1 days for the last 3 years. We just jumped into the touring (on and off road) by getting my girlfriend a blue Fargo 2, and my LBS was able to find me a Grey one. Swapped out the mountain tires for 700x37 Continental Top Contact ii tires, so far I love to ride this bike. The fit and position are so much different it just makes it fun to ride. I would like to swap out the Apex shifter for SRAM Force, and find a 28/ 44 or higher big ring. Can't wait to post pics once I have racks and cages on it.

mtbr member
    May 2007

WTB Salsa Carbon Firestarter Fork for my Fargo

If anyone is willing to sell me a Salsa Carbon Firestarter Fork that would be awesome.

The Salsa Fargo Thread-143.jpg

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentilo View Post
    @ Tinman: Yep, that are Onza Canis 2.25. Weight is 680 g. Roll resistance? Not a Racing Ralph, but okay. Quite good puncture resistance (one flat tire in 5.000 km).

Thanks,
    Yes I do like skin walls. He is another in road/dirt/Cross/Tour size 42 which you may have already seen around? Its made by Panaracer. I found them for about $50 on line but did not purchase them ,,,,,,yet. Per memory seems they are about 500g weight

Cazadero Tires (700c/650b x 42mm) | SOMA Fabrications

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Cruising Down a Portion of California Coast on The Fargo

A lunch stop at the Cold Springs Tavern. An old stagecoach stop from the 1800's. Now a popular bar and restaurant.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Salsa Fargo Thread-img_0092.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Replacing the CrMo Firestarter with a Ti fork

I am ordering a titanium fork from Ti Cycles in Portland for my 2013 Fargo Ti. This fork will be the same dimensionally as the stock fork, except in titanium. It is what they call "semi-custom" which means they send specs overseas and get the fork fabricated in Asia. It is $450 as opposed to the $1195 custom fork they would make in Portland. My wife has this fork on her "adventure touring bike" and the quality seems fine. They will be getting several made at the same time as mine if anyone happens to be interested.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Salsa Fargo Thread-img_20141226_142856.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Any one intrested in selling their fargo? I need a xlarge or a large. Located in the dc area Iam open to the bike being shipped. dxd

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Ready for the Italy trip (no camping, just B&B). Salsa Alternator and Tubus Duo racks, Ortlieb Front Roller Plus bags.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Fargnificent!

mtbr member
    I've finally picked up a Fargo after wanting one for years, 2012 medium.
    The Salsa Fargo Thread-fargo_big.jpg
    I'm having it powder coated and I'd like to know if there is anyplace I can get the stock stickers for it?
    I searched this thread but I didn't have any luck.
    Perhaps someone with better Google Fu than I can help me out.
    CatfishRacing@Gmail.com or here works for me.
    Thanks.

Training for the Darwin's
    Quote Originally Posted by CatfishRacing View Post
    I've finally picked up a Fargo after wanting one for years, 2012 medium.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fargo_Big.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	146.2 KB 
ID:	992657
    I'm having it powder coated and I'd like to know if there is anyplace I can get the stock stickers for it?
    I searched this thread but I didn't have any luck.
    Perhaps someone with better Google Fu than I can help me out.
    CatfishRacing@Gmail.com or here works for me.
    Thanks.
    you might check with the powder coater to see if they can duplicate the stickers in powder coat.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    I suppose I should.
    He doesn't come across as very artistic and while I was taking pictures of the stickers before I handed it off he didn't offer to do them.
    There's a local sign shop that could probably do it but I figured if there's already someone making the stickers why should I try to reinvent the wheel.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by CatfishRacing View Post
    I suppose I should.
    He doesn't come across as very artistic and while I was taking pictures of the stickers before I handed it off he didn't offer to do them.
    There's a local sign shop that could probably do it but I figured if there's already someone making the stickers why should I try to reinvent the wheel.
    Try these:
    VeloCals vintage bicycle decals - Thin transfers - waterslide - dry transfer
    Premium vinyl bike decals to make your bike happy
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    My Fargo is still going strong Mounted new tires: Maxxis Thread Lite 2.1. Wanted to mount them tubeless, but only managed to get the front tire tubeless.. It seemed impossible to get the rear tire to set on the rim, so I just put in a tube. Tires are very nice on road (low rolling resistance) and offer enough traction on gravel roads or dirt! I do have my doubt about the width, as I find them a bit too narrow. Maybe a new wheelset I have in mind helps widen the tires a bit..

The Salsa Fargo Thread-fargo.jpg

Harmonius Wrench

Survivor

The Dirty Kanza 200 was last weekend and it claimed a lot of bikes. many lost rear derailleurs after a 3 mile mud pit hike-a-bike section and the nearly "Portland-esque CX Race" aftermath. There must have been a thousand mud pits and mud puddles!

My 27.5+ wheeled Fargo Gen 2 rig slayed it all and despite the conditions was flawless. Me? I missed CP#2 by 2 minutes but got in a solid 158 miles in.

Next time......The Salsa Fargo Thread-p5300106.jpg
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Congrats to you and your Fargo, Ted.

mtbr member
    Gave my Fargo some Lauf Love...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keski View Post
    Gave my Fargo some Lauf Love...

Yes, this.

Initial thoughts?

wrench extrodinare
    Was that a free fork or are they laufing all the way to the bank.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

My Fargo

The Salsa Fargo Thread-img_20150610_202930.jpg

Hey guys, this is just my fargo in its gravel touring set up with Maxxis Ardent Skinwalls. I run Specialized Fatboy Skinwall 45c for commuting. Excited to take this thing to Seattle with me tomorrow! Love this bike.

Quote Originally Posted by jonpear6 View Post

Name:	IMG_20150610_202930.jpg 
Views:	563 
Size:	246.5 KB 
ID:	995179

Hey guys, this is just my fargo in its gravel touring set up with Maxxis Ardent Skinwalls. I run Specialized Fatboy Skinwall 45c for commuting. Excited to take this thing to Seattle with me tomorrow! Love this bike.
    Brooks C-17?
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Harmonius Wrench

A Carbon Fargo?

The Radavist posted an image on Instagram today of what looks to be a carbon hard tail with a Woodchipper. A Carbon Fargo? Makes sense from the standpoint of where Salsa has taken thngs with the Beargrease and the Warbird, both of which feature top-o-the-line carbon bikes.

Link: https://instagram.com/p/3z-gyaLHed/
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I was wondering what that was... saw someone riding this the other day. Noticed the paint job and "Salsa" on the downtube but didn't recognize it. Looks pretty sweet.

www.fattiremn.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Introducing the Salsa Cycles Cutthroat Tour Divide Bike - The Radavist

Details on the Radavist are up. Guessing the Salsa blog will be up soon.
    [

mtbr member
    Call me old school Salsa guy but all these carbon bikes from Salsa just don't do it for me. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. I love the brand and have owned a half dozen Salsa bikes over the years. I have two currently, Fargo Ti and Vaya.

Salsa was always a small company doing unique designs well before most everyone else and a cult like status that Surly also has. Always sold out of bikes, always had the diehards begging for more info for the next years release. I couldn't wait!

When the coveted American Ti Salsa bikes was announced they would not be USA made no longer it was heart breaking. To this day those USA ti frames are being hunted down by those that got to have them. It's not that the Taiwan Ti is bad, it just doesn't have a soul. My Fargo is Tai-Ti and I love it, but it just doesn't give me a sense of pride like the way my Fatback does. I get it, it's cheaper to build, but not cheaper to buy.

I remember when the aluminum Beargrease came out, I bought a frame and built it up. It's was very Salsa. Then the carbon BG came out and I was like, wow that is light and very Trek looking. You could have stuck any emblem on the front of it. Yeah it was all Salsa but carbon has many identities.

Why Salsa, why build from materials like everyone else? Leave the carbon for the masses and get back to your uniqueness. Rant over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Two fargos on a 7 day adventure on the GTMC (Grand traverse of the massif central) in France, mainly off road gravel and single track. My 3 year old anything cage broke, but managed to fix it temporarily with a tie wrap.

The Salsa Fargo Thread-dsc00417.jpg
    The Salsa Fargo Thread-dsc00404.jpg
    The Salsa Fargo Thread-dsc00361.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2009

Well I'm showing my Fargo some love but it's not loving me back. Replaced the stock contis with some excellent Bruce Gordon Rock 'n Roads and managed to skin the back of my hand and two fingers on the disc. Fun times tonight at my reunion with my whole hand taped up and stinging.

mtbr member
    I did that to a finger before. Sucks big time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

[NEW] 2013 Fargo 2 - Looking for a framebag? :-/

Hello, all you wonderful Fargo owners! I just drove 13 hours to pickup a (brand new, it's been sitting in a garage for 2-3 years) 2013 Fargo 2 at a ridiculous price.

Now for the issue, my medium Revelate Tangle doesn't fit well, and I want the Revelate Salsa Framebag 3 for a MD Fargo 2013. Anybody have a clue as to where to get one? Salsa lists it on their website, but I've already checked a lot of google, amazon, ebay, AND QBP. It looks like they're discontinued!! All the ones you'll see listed are the 2014+ model, and I've already painfully dug through PDFs to verify dimensions, to no avail.

On to the new bike day photo! I'll post more when I "make it mine". I've already pulled most of the safety stickers off, time to attack the rims. So excited to ride!

The Salsa Fargo Thread-00000_hlcpmpm3hej_600x450.jpg

Edit: I would be happy to buy a used one off one of you fine Fargonauts if you have one in nice shape for a 2011-2013 Medium Fargo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mikhaelc View Post
    Hello, all you wonderful Fargo owners! I just drove 13 hours to pickup a (brand new, it's been sitting in a garage for 2-3 years) 2013 Fargo 2 at a ridiculous price.

Now for the issue, my medium Revelate Tangle doesn't fit well, and I want the Revelate Salsa Framebag 3 for a MD Fargo 2013. Anybody have a clue as to where to get one? Salsa lists it on their website, but I've already checked a lot of google, amazon, ebay, AND QBP. It looks like they're discontinued!! All the ones you'll see listed are the 2014+ model, and I've already painfully dug through PDFs to verify dimensions, to no avail.

On to the new bike day photo! I'll post more when I "make it mine". I've already pulled most of the safety stickers off, time to attack the rims. So excited to ride!

Name:	00000_hLCpmPM3HEj_600x450.jpg 
Views:	729 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	997280

Edit: I would be happy to buy a used one off one of you fine Fargonauts if you have one in nice shape for a 2011-2013 Medium Fargo.
    I went through this same search a while back. I had no luck trying to find the older model frame bag.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Try to find an LBS that has some new bikes in stock and cross reference. I used an El Mar I found local to measure for a Salsa bag I put on a GT Peace 9er, and now two different KMs. Bags don't need too be exact, within an inch and you should be close enough.

But if you are picky, there are still a bunch of companies that will make you a custom bag.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Well fargoer i have joined the family finally. I picked. Up a fargo online at a sweet price photos will follow soon dxd

Quote Originally Posted by blkthghts View Post
    Any one intrested in selling their fargo? I need a xlarge or a large. Located in the dc area Iam open to the bike being shipped. dxd

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by blkthghts View Post
    Well fargoer i have joined the family finally. I picked. Up a fargo online at a sweet price photos will follow soon dxd
    Welcome to the dark side.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Figured it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
    I went through this same search a while back. I had no luck trying to find the older model frame bag.

Email Response from Andy at Salsa:

"Hey there,

You can use the new bag on your 2013. We had them made to be reverse compatible. From a soft bag fit standpoint, the geometry change of the bike in 2015 hardly affected the fit, we just had to make a couple minor tweaks.

Thanks!

Andy"

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Inaugural New-Bike-Day Voyage

Rode the new Fargo on the three-ferry loop around Lake Champlain in VT/NY Tuesday. Those 2.2's are pretty heavy on roads, but on dirt roads and gravel trails they're great. Can't wait for tubeless with rougher terrain.

The Salsa Fargo Thread-img_0349.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mikhaelc View Post
    Email Response from Andy at Salsa:

"Hey there,

You can use the new bag on your 2013. We had them made to be reverse compatible. From a soft bag fit standpoint, the geometry change of the bike in 2015 hardly affected the fit, we just had to make a couple minor tweaks.

Thanks!

Andy"
    Yeah, Eric from Revelate said essentially the same thing.

I'm sure the newer bag would work fine. I haven't tried one though. Still using my panniers for now. I will probably still switch to a bikepacking setup in the future.
    Last edited by Crowley; 06-24-2015 at 04:19 PM.

mtbr member
    No Fargo for me, but I figured people here might find this interesting.

Based on Guitar Ted's reviews, I decided to get a Gary Sweep OS to replace the Woodchipper on my Gryphon. I like the Woodchipper quite a bit, but there are some things about it that I've always thought could be improved, and I'm always happy to waste money on new bike stuff.

It's funny because I'd ordered it a month ago and it took forever to arrive, and in the meantime I'd found the perfect setting for the Woodchipper, and had spent the last 3 weeks sortof debating whether I'd even try the new bar?

But I put it on, and so far I like it a lot. The drops are much more intuitive and immediately comfortable than the Woodchipper. It's actually a really nice and "neutral" dirtdrop bar - not stubby like the midge, or generally weird like the woodchipper (or extreme like I assume the Luxy is)

One of my ongoing issues with the woodchipper is brake-reach - especially for the 4 months of the year when I'm wearing my bulky winter gloves. With this bar that shouldn't be a problem. It does have quite a bit more overall reach than the woodchipper, but so far I'm using the same stem and haven't felt the need to swap on a shorter one from the partsbin.
    Last edited by newfangled; 06-24-2015 at 09:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    So will a small Tangle bag fit my Medium Fargo? Also if it does fit how is water bottle access?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teletimg View Post
    So will a small Tangle bag fit my Medium Fargo? Also if it does fit how is water bottle access?
    A normal size water bottle on my gen2 Fargo barely hits the bottom of my Tangle bag.

mtbr member
    I got a set of Cinq5 Rohloff thumb shifters on the way from the great folks at Cycle Monkey. I will be putting them on a new set of Cowchippers. I currently have VO Seine bars which I really wanted to like, but I didn't realize how much I would miss dropbars on my Fargo.

I will post a video and review of the Cinq5 Shifters because a video showing how they work currently does not exist anywhere on the internet.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    For those of you running the gumwall Onza Canis or Maxxis Ardent tires tubeless, how are they holding up?

My spouse and I are preparing to go tubeless for the first time on our Fargos and I'm really loving the gumwall look but neither of those tires seem to be officially marked as UST. I kinda feel like for our first foray into tubeless we should stick to something officially marked as such but nothing else is exciting me like those gumwalls.

She's leaning towards WTB Nanos due to their reputation and we're using WTB Frequency i23 rims but I'd like something wider basically because I can haha.

honez1414
    Jan 2011
    My experience with the Ardent was hit and miss and I really think it came down to the rim. Worked well on Mavic rims but didn't always hold air with Stan's rims. I'd try it out and give it at least a week before giving it a try on a bikepacking trip. If i had to give a recommendation it would be Geax. If you can get those darn things on the rim, which is a challenge, I swear they could hold air forever without sealant.