Page 66 of 108 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076 ... LastLast
Results 3,251 to 3,300 of 5368
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by petenugent View Post
    Seriously considering a Fargo <snip> will I be OK with 105, what should I change.
    You will almost certainly have to change the cranks for two reasons:
    1) The Fargo has a 73 mm BB, as opposed to the 68 mm BB shell on road bikes, so the cranks will not go on, safely anyway.
    2) It's extremely unlikely that the cranks would turn even if you managed to get them on somehow. I'm using an old (very low Q, ~151mm) Ritchey Logic compact MTB triple, and the arms barely clear the stays using the standard BB length. Current Shimano road cranks are typically 5 mm narrower overall.

Other likely issues are the front derailleur (mentioned above), and perhaps the wheels, depending on the rim width and what tyres you wish to use. If you plan on using the Fargo offroad, you may also want to switch to a larger cassette, which in turn is likely to require a new chain, and perhaps a different rear derailleur if it has more than ~28-30T.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    Ragley is to CRC as Salsa is to QBP, so you see that they are a house brand for CRC. My understanding is that there is a "Luxy 2" to come. I do not know how it is different, or when it is coming, or for how much, but CRC will have it when it does make an appearance, if it does.

Brant Richards, who designed the Luxy is no longer with Ragley/CRC, and that may be the reason for the change, but I am just speculating there. I had a very small part in the original Luxy Bar's design phase, so the two I have are special to me. The thing came out waaaay different than I had envisioned, by the way!
    Thanks for the info and heads up. I wondered if it was because Brant had returned to On One.

There is clearly a demand out there so hopefully CRC will get going and introduce the Luxy 2.

Harmonius Wrench

Fargo Gen 2 Ready For Slop!

Just got these SKS fenders on for the perpetual rainy season we're experiencing here. The Salsa Fargo Thread-p1060392.jpg
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    My poor 16 pound Scott Addict SL hasn't seen much action since my clunky Fargo 3 came to town. :-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

progress!

Spent a few hours this evening at the neighborhood collective where I could finally get this in the stand. It's a gen 1 Fargo. Everything is used except for the chain, cables, b17, the bb7's and the rubber (Bruce Gordon Rock n Road tires.) I still need to swap the tiagra (double) FD from the parts bin out for a NOS 105 (triple) that I just swiped off of the 'bay, but other than that it's just time to dial in the cockpit, trim some shifter housing and tape up the bars.

• XT 9spd RD
    • 105 triple FD
    • Tiagra 3x9 Brifters
    • Deore Cranks 44-32-22
    • Sram cassette 11-34
    • 32h XT hubs on DT TK540 rims
    • Avid bb7 road disc brake set
    • Salsa Woodchipper
    • Thomson Seatpost
    • Brooks B17 Standard
    • Shimano M324 pedals

Total cost is still under $1k. I'm feeling pretty good about it (and saving up for a tubus rack!)

mtbr member
    Doing the exact same thing. Budget fargo build! I just bought a used gen 1 salsa fargo. i should be on a xl frame.
    This was a xxl, but with afew tweaks it has been the most comfortable commuter I have ever owned! Ill get some pictures up soon

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    What does a 'normal' fargo cost? A build for long distance mountainbiking, more-days rides. I know this is a difficult question to answer but a prize indication would be usefull.
    Also, how is riding with race-tires on a fargo, for those fast kilometers

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JevL View Post
    What does a 'normal' fargo cost? A build for long distance mountainbiking, more-days rides. I know this is a difficult question to answer but a prize indication would be usefull.
    I paid 1300 and change for my 2013 Fargo 3 in January of this year. That was for a complete bike off the rack at a LBS.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JevL View Post
    I can hold my own with touring road bikes riding the Fargo with Maxxis Icons or Conti Race Kings on my wheels. It'll never be as fast as a carbon race bike but with 60psi in the tyres and a tubeless set up on hope hubs and Stans Crests its a pretty easy rolling ride.

mtbr member
    I'm not trying to be your Dad, but I would consider those pressures in those tyres mounted tubeless to be dangerous. Here's hoping I'm wrong.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I've had the conti's with tubes up that high for an all road ride (certainly 50ish) I ran the icons tubeless at 40+ish for a road and gravel ride.

I wouldn't run them that high for any significant off road adventures and actually the tubeless seems to make more difference than the pressure in terms of speeding up the roll on a particular tyre.

They are rated up to 65psi.
    Last edited by unocogero; 06-10-2013 at 03:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    My Fargo is doing much better in the floods than the cars on the opposite bank of the river. Bicycles rule!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Salsa Fargo Thread-p1000684.jpg  

The Salsa Fargo Thread-p1000678.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Just another data point (and my first post, ever!)

I'm 6'1+ with short legs (32" inseam) and test rode a Salsa Fargo 2 this afternoon - the seat was lowered, quite a bit, but the fit fore and aft felt pretty good. Still trying to decide if I'm going to bite the bullet and get the bike.

mtbr member
    Yosso,

Great to see a post after 8 years registered. You obviously have the experience to compare your requirements against the bike's features. Easier said than done, as I am living proof and a classic over informed procrastinator. I know the Fargo has an allen keyed post clamp, but I really think that needed to be adjusted. You're an old hand, rode the bike, but can't decide. I know there could be any number of reasons for that, but let's eliminate the post adjustment. There was no reason to leave it down.

First move for me would be to go back, adjust that post and ride it again.

Good luck either way. I like mine but no bike is for everyone - even ones with 10 million nutserts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicCarpet View Post
    I know the Fargo has an allen keyed post clamp, but I really think that needed to be adjusted. You're an old hand, rode the bike, but can't decide. I know there could be any number of reasons for that, but let's eliminate the post adjustment. There was no reason to leave it down.
    Dude seriously, who goes on a test ride and doesn't adjust the seat post?

Speaking of which, one of the first things I did was get a Salsa flip lock clamp for my seatpost (in orange of course). My saddle comes on and off all the time, that allen key clamp was driving me nuts.

Just took my new Fargo for its first offroad ride... man, that bike is sure-footed. Very impressed. I realize it's a mountain bike, but I felt more comfortable with it in the rough stuff than I typically do on my traditional mountain bike. I think the much lower bottom bracket has a lot to do with it. It may reduce ground clearance a bit, but it adds a ton of stability. And the lack of suspension was never an issue... makes me wonder why I should bother with a suspension bike at all anymore.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GoremanX View Post
    Dude seriously, who goes on a test ride and doesn't adjust the seat post?

Speaking of which, one of the first things I did was get a Salsa flip lock clamp for my seatpost (in orange of course). My saddle comes on and off all the time, that allen key clamp was driving me nuts.

Just took my new Fargo for its first offroad ride... man, that bike is sure-footed. Very impressed. I realize it's a mountain bike, but I felt more comfortable with it in the rough stuff than I typically do on my traditional mountain bike. I think the much lower bottom bracket has a lot to do with it. It may reduce ground clearance a bit, but it adds a ton of stability. And the lack of suspension was never an issue... makes me wonder why I should bother with a suspension bike at all anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicCarpet View Post
    Yosso,

Great to see a post after 8 years registered. You obviously have the experience to compare your requirements against the bike's features. Easier said than done, as I am living proof and a classic over informed procrastinator. I know the Fargo has an allen keyed post clamp, but I really think that needed to be adjusted. You're an old hand, rode the bike, but can't decide. I know there could be any number of reasons for that, but let's eliminate the post adjustment. There was no reason to leave it down.

First move for me would be to go back, adjust that post and ride it again.

Good luck either way. I like mine but no bike is for everyone - even ones with 10 million nutserts.
    I wasn't concise enough in my explanation.

I lowered the seat post in order to ride, the seller is probably 6'-5" - thus the seat post was probably 4" too high for wee little 6'-1" me.

Still over analyzing the entire situation.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Ah, that makes more sense

Well if it makes you feel any better, I run my Fargo XL with the seat post only about 3" up from the seat tube, with the saddle shoved as far forward as it will go. That's where it's comfortable for me. I'm also 6'1"

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    oops... should point out I ditched the Thudbuster seat post that came with my Fargo 2, so 3" of seatpost isn't very much at all.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Re: The Salsa Fargo Thread

oops... should point out I ditched the Thudbuster seat post that came with my Fargo 2, so 3" of seatpost isn't very much at all.
    The bike has the thud buster seat post, and the seat was lowered as much as possible. No fore/aft adjustments were made.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Then you had probably about as much height as I typically run. The thudbuster post has about 3" of mechanism. But it also sets the saddle back a bit father than a straight seatpost. Especially when you sit on it and it compresses. I went with a straight Thomson seatpost instead to reduce the cockpit length a bit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Then you had probably about as much height as I typically run. The thudbuster post has about 3" of mechanism. But it also sets the saddle back a bit father than a straight seatpost. Especially when you sit on it and it compresses. I went with a straight Thomson seatpost instead to reduce the cockpit length a bit.
    Sounds great, appreciate the input.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The Salsa Fargo Thread-large_2013-06-0409_16_46.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Finally got done with the tweaks and add-ons for my new Fargo 2. I only have about 100 miles on it, the weather's been really disappointing so far this Spring

This morning I took a few pictures. Looking forward to a nice, long ride today:

The Final Result

Plenty of room for a frame bag AND 2 bottles in the triangle.

The frame bag has a tire pump and a spare tube for my wife's bike, and plenty of room for snacks and other stuff.

Extra bottle cages!

I'm sick and tired of running out of fluids on long rides. I figure 4x750ml bottles should be more than adequate from now on.

Some frivolous bling on the steerer

Also note the Avenir stem. It's the same length as the Salsa stem that came on the bike, but angled at 40 degrees rather than 25. It's a very slight adjustment which makes my back happy.

Tons of clearance for my feet in front of the pannier:

I'm hopelessly in love with this new pannier. It puts to shame all other panniers I've ever owned. The fact that it's available in orange is icing on the cake.

That's a Salsa wanderlust rack. It's a terrible fit for the current-gen XL Fargo. The front strut design is atrocious and doesn't work well on this bike geometry at all. It would probably be better on a smaller frame. If I could return the rack, I would, but the struts are already cut to length. Notice how short they are, they butt right up against the crossmember in the rack.

My trusty Brooks saddle:

Still looks as good as the day I bought it. I got rid of the Thudbuster seat post in favour of this Thomson seat post. Saddle bag has tools, tire levers, and a spare tube for my bike. Also note the Salsa flip lock collar to replace the allen key collar that annoyed me so much.

I'm so happy I went with a factory build this time, it made customizing it more fun. I usually build my bikes up from a bare frame, but the stock components on this bike were mostly perfect anyways, so I was able to spend my time fine-tuning instead. Less time wasted, more time riding

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Very nice, love the panniers and the color matched bottle cages.

Here's a shot of the Fargo I'm still considering purchasing. :-)

Name:  2013salsafargo2.jpg
Views: 1161
Size:  25.2 KB

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Do eeet!
    [any concerns you have that we could help answer?]

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I've bought a Fargo 2012 (creme) brand new frame and I'm going to build it.
    As I usually do with my bikes, I sent the frame to my favourite bike mechanic to mill the bottom bracket faces, and I taken the occasion to ask to him to put the headset.
    After a check, the mechanic told me that is necessary to mill the internal wall of the head tube for few tenth of millimeter because it seems little bit narrow to accept 1 1/8 headset, can't fit inside.

I was surprised to hear that, of course is not a big problem and I trust 100% in this mechanich who's very expert, I just wanted to know if it's normal or not, what do you think?
    Does anybody met the same problem?

trail rat
    Finally got done with the tweaks and add-ons for my new Fargo 2.
    What a pimpmobile! Brown and orange is a favorite color combo of mine, but never had a bike with them. Well done, ride it long.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Owlish View Post
    Do eeet!
    [any concerns you have that we could help answer?]
    I'm somewhat convinced that the bike size is just right.

Now I just need to decide if I'm going I'm pay the full asking price or attempt to negotiate a lower price.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lee paolo View Post
    After a check, the mechanic told me that is necessary to mill the internal wall of the head tube for few tenth of millimeter because it seems little bit narrow to accept 1 1/8 headset, can't fit inside.

I was surprised to hear that, of course is not a big problem and I trust 100% in this mechanich who's very expert, I just wanted to know if it's normal or not, what do you think?
    Does anybody met the same problem?
    Nope, never heard of that. Sounds extremely odd to me. I've built many bikes, and I've never had to have the head tube machined in any way for a headset to fit properly. Some go in tighter than others, but that's about it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Sounds weird. Occasionally a frame may need the head tube faced if there's too much paint or things are a bit off, but I don't recall ever having a problem with a 1 /1/8" headset not being able to be pressed in. You really DO NOT want it to end up being too loose a fit in the head tube!!! If the headset won't fit, I'd be worried the head tube is deformed (maybe by the frame being dropped on it), and would want to be sure this isn't the case before doing anything that might make a warranty claim more difficult.

NB: Back in the days of things being made in Japan and 1" headsets, frames with the JIS head tube ID needed to be reamed for non-JIS headsets to fit, so it was not uncommon to have to do this then, but we're talking about ~20 years ago...

I'm not saying your mechanic is wrong, but that the description isn't clear.
    Last edited by satanas; 06-13-2013 at 10:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    First real test near Belgian/German border. I love how the Fargo handles off- and onroad. Getting ready for my trip to Norway this summer.

The Salsa Fargo Thread-dsc02418.jpg

The Salsa Fargo Thread-dsc02408.jpg

The Salsa Fargo Thread-dsc02414.jpg

The Salsa Fargo Thread-dsc02417.jpg

The Salsa Fargo Thread-dsc02412.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm going to buy a Chris King headset for Salsa 2012 (creme) with 1 1/8 head tube, in fact this is the first time I buy an headset, could you pls confirm that what I need is: Chris King NoThreadSet GripLock Headset 1 1/8 inch EC34/28.6 | EC34/30 Classic Logo Print?

Thank you very much!

mtbr member
    May 2010

The Salsa Fargo Thread

In keeping with the bridge theme.... From last weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Salsa Fargo Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk-hd1371269916.136516.jpg  

The Salsa Fargo Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk-hd1371269943.103364.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Gotta sell da Fargo, eh.

It's a 2012 Fargo 2 size medium in "Creme Scheme" (tan) with the stock build kit of Apex/x.9 10-speed. Tubeless rim strips in wheels, Cane Creek Cross Top levers installed and Lizard Skins stay protector added. Fantastic condition just too many bikes. Never toured on - dry AZ riding - less than 500 miles.

PM me if you wanna save hundreds off a new one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    dup post due to crappy internet connection
    Last edited by MicroDrive; 06-17-2013 at 07:39 AM. Reason: dup post

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    dup post due to crappy internet connection
    Last edited by MicroDrive; 06-17-2013 at 07:40 AM. Reason: mtbr error msgs

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Don't trust Wildflower Bread's wi-fi for mtbr forum posting......
    Last edited by MicroDrive; 06-17-2013 at 07:42 AM. Reason: WF wifi sux

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I understand urgency to sell, but were four posts necessary?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    @Doug_ID those cowboys and blue skies are making me miss the intermountain west!

So, my Fargo is pretty much complete. I've had it out on some short rides to get the cockpit set and switched to a NOS 105 triple FD. I also dug some SKS Beavertails and a Lizardskin out of the old mtb bin, that I don't think had ever been used. I had to modify the rear beavertail a little, but I think it fits better than the front, which is on the edge of toe overlap.

The mix of Tiagra brifters, 105 front, and XT rear is surprisingly precise and smooth. There is a little delay actuating the ramp on the big ring, but I think it's just the nature of a triple, and probably a shortcoming of that particular ring; downshifts are nice.

I double-taped the bars with a layer of synthetic cork and an outer layer of Newbaum's cotton tape -- VERY COMFY. I may switch to Newbaum's cotton on my road bike when the time comes.

I'm having a little bit of trouble with the bb7's. I've never had a set of mech disc brakes, always hydro before this. Is there a trick to getting these dialed? I followed the directions for setup: the inside pads taking up 2/3 of travel and the outside 1/3, tighten the caliper to set the alignment and then backing each off 2-3 clicks. In doing so I found that I actually had to back off 4-5 clicks to get decent rotor clearance, with only occasional light rub. I then adjusted the inline barrel adjusters to take up some slack but the pull is still a little squishy and I find myself nearly bottoming out the levers at times. Am I missing something, or can this be explained by cable stretch and something that will go away with a short break-in period?

On another note, I've been doing a bunch of cargo-related research. This bike, in addition to being my trail/gravel bike, is also the touring rig and grocery-getter. Has anybody used a frame bag for groceries? I'm talking farmer's market payloads of fruit, veggies, hard-crusted bread, etc. Not looking to haul bulky, rigid items. If that's not logical, I want to set it up to be as multi-faceted as possible, while maintaining good handling on trail. I'm looking at starting with a rear rack and some small "front" panniers (probably Ortlieb), and then eventually adding a frame bag.

That said, does anyone want to share their experiences with the Salsa Wanderlust, Tubus Fly, or Portland Design Works Loading Dock? The PDW loading dock is just so classy, and I don't see myself exceeding it's 35 lb payload if I add a frame bag in the future. It also gives me an extra $50 over the Tubus to put towards said bag.

Which brings me to my next question, is the Salsa/Revelate Standard Fargo frame bag close enough in dimensions to the Gen1 that it will fit well, or are the triangle dimensions different enough that I'm looking at getting a custom bag?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SocratesDiedTrolling View Post
    I understand urgency to sell, but were four posts necessary?
    I was having connection problems - I refreshed the page a dozen times and it never showed it posted and kept giving me error messages.

I'm not that urgent to sell - I love this bike. I can tell my wife I'm "trying" to sell it by posting it here

Spud State Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    I'm having a little bit of trouble with the bb7's. I've never had a set of mech disc brakes, always hydro before this. Is there a trick to getting these dialed? I followed the directions for setup: the inside pads taking up 2/3 of travel and the outside 1/3, tighten the caliper to set the alignment and then backing each off 2-3 clicks. In doing so I found that I actually had to back off 4-5 clicks to get decent rotor clearance, with only occasional light rub. I then adjusted the inline barrel adjusters to take up some slack but the pull is still a little squishy and I find myself nearly bottoming out the levers at times. Am I missing something, or can this be explained by cable stretch and something that will go away with a short break-in period?
    Are you getting consistent rub during each revolution (are the rotors true?) When I have a situation where the rotor is rubbing against one side or the other I loosen the caliper mounting bolts then overtighten the pad that is rubbing the rotor then re-tighten caliper then back off the pad. The whole setup is also sensitive to how much you tighten up the quick release.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    It's my understanding that you shouldn't need to touch the barrel adjusters on the levers. All adjustments can be made using the red rotors or as the poster above has said, loosening and resetting the bolts holding the calliper onto the frame.

I'm not convinced that the pads always sit totally flat in their housing and that it can cause a light rubbing.

Also check that your wheel is in properly and straight but also it can cause problems if your wheel was a little out of alignment when you set them up.

Finally it looks like you have road callipers and road levers which should be fine but if you are running road levers and mtb callipers (or vice versa) it will effect performance and cause sponginess.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I would say any rubbing I'm getting at this point is about par for the course with most disc brakes. If I increase 1 or 2 clicks max, I'm getting consistent rub all the way around the rotor.

I had the chance to go on a 15 miler this morning. A combination of pave, gravel, double track, and moderately technical singletrack, as well as some really smooth flowy singletrack where this bike is really a lot of fun. The flared drops really make you feel like you're flying through the trees on the narrow and smooth stuff.

The brakes performed OK, maybe I'm just feeling the difference between bb's and juicy's.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    The feeling of flying through tight tree lined singletrack on drops is amazing..

never summer

The Salsa Fargo Thread

If your still having issues with the BB7's your best bet is to loosen the mounting hardware. Use the pad adjusters to center the rotor in the caliper, and tighten them until it won't spin. Click off a couple turns so you can rotate the wheel and it will self center. Then click back and methodically torque the mounting hardware. I then loosen the outboard adjuster several clicks and just tune the inboard. Finally adjust the outboard til it touches then back off. Might take a couple attempts. I'm really OCD about noises and feel and this has worked the best for me.
    Fargo Ti + Moonlander + Necro Pug + Nature Boy

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by singlefin View Post
    Click off a couple turns so you can rotate the wheel and it will self center. Then click back and methodically torque the mounting hardware. I then loosen the outboard adjuster several clicks and just tune the inboard. Finally adjust the outboard til it touches then back off.
    This sounds like a good approach. I'll try it when I get the bike back in the stand, hopefully tomorrow. thanks.

never summer
    Here are a couple current pics. I keep trying to go back to set bags, but the frame bag always finds itself back on.

Fargo Ti + Moonlander + Necro Pug + Nature Boy

psy
    mtbr member

just returned from my first tour

850 miles over 14 days down the pacific coast, from eugene oregon to san francisco ca, including a detour out to the lost coast.

My fargo is all xt 3x9 with dura ace bar ends onpaulthumbies.
    Ultegra brake levers on bb7 sl brakes 203 ice tech rotor upfront 180 rear.
    Salsa racks brooks saddle ortlieb bags etc etc
    Wheelset is psycho rims 40 h rear 36h front. Phil wood rear hub shimano dynohub upfront...dt swiss alpine3 spokes. Rubber is marathon mondial 28x2.00
    Luxos u light and topline brake light plus also kept my cell phone charged alongthe way.

The Salsa Fargo Thread-2013-06-12-07.04.08.jpg

The Salsa Fargo Thread-2013-06-11-22.48.10.jpg

The Salsa Fargo Thread-2013-06-08-23.15.11.jpg

The Salsa Fargo Thread-2013-06-11-22.51.36.jpg

The Salsa Fargo Thread-2013-06-05-22.29.16.jpg

The Salsa Fargo Thread-2013-06-08-23.14.31.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Wonderful pictures, must have been a wonderful trip. Thanks for posting psy.

Brian