Page 66 of 166 FirstFirst ... 16 56 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 76 116 ... LastLast
Results 1,626 to 1,650 of 4129
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I run an 80mm Fox fork on my 2011 Fargo (Ti) and I am never taking it off.... I tend to ride rougher, more mountain bike trails on my Fargo as I also own a Vaya.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Tough decision, but note that you'll need a special offset 29er wheelset to run in the Pugsley.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bricke View Post
    Hi, I'm near to build my travel bike, now I had to do the final choice:
    Salsa Fargo or Surly Pugsley?

I intend to use it for traveling, but even for some mountain trip and the big tyres of the surly like me, for normal use I will use the pugs with normal 29er wheels.

So, what do you think about that? I know that the 2011 fargo is usable with a 80mm fork, someone tried?
    traveling, like touring?
    or like packing it onto a train / airplane / car / bus then riding?

pugs would be really fun with stock tires, or some hookworms mounted up.
    but that is a beast to schlep around. not sure how you would fit it into a bike box / suitcase.

and its heavy.

you can go fat front fargo, or suspension fork, if you wanted.
    love my pugs and fargo both, for different reasons.
    if i was to have one? tough call. probably the fargo.
    or i'd sell off everything and get a custom drop bar geometry ti fatback with carbon fork.

but i can't let go of my custom indy fab road machine (which will fit 30s and fenders, or 35s...)
    Last edited by bmike; 06-30-2011 at 08:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by tgoff View Post
    Pictures are from my first all day epic ride on Showers Pass road (the ride that inspired the clothing brand). More info can be found here

What kind of bars are those?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dazzlingdennis View Post
    What kind of bars are those?
    Soma Clarence which are very similar to On One Mary. I run them upside down ( drop instead of rise). They work well and are comfortable on long rides. I use a 130mm stem with them.

obsessive
    Oct 2009

fargo SS commuter !

Currently rocking the eno ss rear while my derailleurs and cassette are on the way. pretty enjoyable ride! Will be running schwalbe marathon supremes on the geared wheels.

yay
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Salsa Fargo Thread-30.jpg  

i want to ride my bicycle! i want to ride my bike....

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Here is my Salsa Fargo want to be. Could not afford a Fargo but build this up with select Salsa parts to get a nice all around on/off road bike. She is hanging in my office with me today half way through my 17 mile one way commute.

The Salsa Fargo Thread-down-size.jpg

mtbr member
    Video from my midsummer bikepacking ride with the Fargo:

My bike blog: www.yetirides.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

nice Yellowstone pictures

Quote Originally Posted by biker_eric View Post
    My Fargo in Yellowstone.
    Nice pics. I hope the recreation vehicles and cars were kind. The drivers tend to get distracted in Yellowstone.

those are Rollercams...
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
    Video from my midsummer bikepacking ride with the Fargo:
    As always, entertaining and inspirational.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bricke View Post
    Hi, I'm near to build my travel bike, now I had to do the final choice:
    Salsa Fargo or Surly Pugsley?

I intend to use it for traveling, but even for some mountain trip and the big tyres of the surly like me, for normal use I will use the pugs with normal 29er wheels.

So, what do you think about that? I know that the 2011 fargo is usable with a 80mm fork, someone tried?
    I have a pugsley and a fargo. I even had a 29er set-up for the pug. But there's a reason I now have the fargo instead. If you are going to do any touring or travelling, go Fargo, not pugsley. If you want a very fun bike to goof around on or do some serious sand or snow riding, then go Pugsley. The fargo handles the off-road stuff well enough (even loaded), the Pugsley would only be advantageous for touring in very soft sand or snow, as it's a beast otherwise, even with an ackward 29er setup.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Also worth considering is that if you care at all about keeping the Q factor down the Pugsley will not make you happy. I've thought about buying something like that in the past but the wider rear end and thus BB shell and axle would destroy my knees in short order. Some people prefer a wider Q so this may not bother you, but if it does watch out. The only way I can see around the massive Q is a custom frame (>$) with a Rohloff (>$), or perhaps a SS, but my knees wouldn't survive SS.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Figuring out this drop bar MTB thing. So - much - fun.
    Finally feeling like I've got a good bar position...

SameSpot, Different Bike

SameSpot, Different Bike2

SameSpot, Different Bike3

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    bdstorer: Is that a Revelate Tangle bag on your bike? If so, which size is the bag, and what year and size is the bike? Thanks!

Ride steel, stay hairy.
    Quote Originally Posted by satanas View Post
    bdstorer: Is that a Revelate Tangle bag on your bike? If so, which size is the bag, and what year and size is the bike? Thanks!
    Mate, it is an old custom Epic Designs bag Eric sewed for my Surly 1x1. It fits the 2011 Fargo (L) perfectly.. but I do have a Revelate 'Mountain' Tangle bag that I use on my Kona Paddywagon (56cm) that also fits the Fargo neatly. Hope that helps mate.
    www.bottlesandchains.com
    'ride local, drink global'

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Did yours come with the 42/27 front rings? Mine came with 38/27 for some reason. I wish I had the 42.

Ride steel, stay hairy.
    Quote Originally Posted by SLC29er View Post
    Did yours come with the 42/27 front rings? Mine came with 38/27 for some reason. I wish I had the 42.
    Running Blackspire 40/26 rings on mine with a MTB cassette on the back. Good spread of gears for the hills we have here in Tasmania.
    www.bottlesandchains.com
    'ride local, drink global'

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Tasmania?!? I'm in [shudder] Sydney.

Not sure what to do about bags for my NOS 2009 vintage M Fargo, but won't be an issue for a while as it's ski season for me at the moment. I was hoping yours might've been the same and you could thus tell me exactly what would fit, but I guess not. Just collected the last bits for the build today so hopefully will be able to ride it in the next few days. I think mine will end up with either 40x30x20 (if I can get a front derailleur to clear the bidon boss and work okay with the shifter), otherwise 34x22 should be enough for me and I know that will clear and shift okay.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    Figuring out this drop bar MTB thing. So - much - fun.
    Finally feeling like I've got a good bar position...

SameSpot, Different Bike
    Mike,

Glad to hear you are getting your bars dialed-in. I'm getting very close to getting mine; had a chance to ride a large(I need an XL) on Saturday, I couldn't believe how plush the bike felt! The bars were set-up fairly well and I had no problems lifting the front-end over small-ish obstacles and tried some wheelies in the parking lot... definitely different but I think it will work. The shifters are going to take some getting used to; now I'll have the brifter trifecta: Campy on my Ritchey, Shimano on the Vaya, and Sram on the Fargo! Any chance you could post a profile shot of you bike for reference? I think it might help me get a good idea for a place to start(with bar and shifter set-up) when I build mine.

Thanks,
    Tom

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tws21975 View Post
    Mike,

Glad to hear you are getting your bars dialed-in. I'm getting very close to getting mine; had a chance to ride a large(I need an XL) on Saturday, I couldn't believe how plush the bike felt! The bars were set-up fairly well and I had no problems lifting the front-end over small-ish obstacles and tried some wheelies in the parking lot... definitely different but I think it will work. The shifters are going to take some getting used to; now I'll have the brifter trifecta: Campy on my Ritchey, Shimano on the Vaya, and Sram on the Fargo! Any chance you could post a profile shot of you bike for reference? I think it might help me get a good idea for a place to start(with bar and shifter set-up) when I build mine.

Thanks,
    Tom
    Tom,

I'll snap a shot later today.

I'm running Campy on my Indy Fab, Shimano bar ends on Thumbies on my Pugsley, and SRAM on the Fargo. I could see moving the IF to SRAM when I need to next replace my drivetrain. Cheaper for parts than the Campy 10 speed Chorus stuff I built it up with.

The levers do take a bit of muscle memory training. I really like the shape though. So much more comfortable for road / gravel cruising than my old style (2005/06) Campy levers. The Camp ergo's feel so small now!.

I shortened up my cockpit a bit, and I can pop the bike up onto rocks / obstacles. I have the bars higher than my road rig, and higher than I did on my old CrossCheck. I've played with way way up so the hooks are about where my hands would be on my Pugs or where they'd have been on the single speed - but that is too high. Felt really 'tippy' up there - so I compromised and am finding the single track to be fun, even some technical (for me) local rock / root 'paths'.

I'm running either the stock Race King tires or the WTB Vulpines I just put on. I'm going to budget a set of 2.2 or 2.4 knobbies for the fall - maybe a Nevegal, which I liked on my single speed. Lots of grip, and plenty of cush. Those tires won't roll well on the road / gravel - but will be fun in the woods.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Tom -

Here you go.

IMAG3356

IMAG3357

IMAG3358

I need to slide the levers down just a bit on the bars. Bar angle is good, lever position needs to drop just a bit.

Stem is a temp, borrowed from a friend. The stock 100mm stem pointing up was basically reaching like a 90, so glad I left the steerer long. I want another ~2deg of rise - so I'm riding this for a week and will likely order something up.

And I'm experimenting with the reach adjustment on the SRAM levers. Currently in the middle setting - might pull them in once more.

Professional Amateur
    I have a medium Fargo (the old FGG color) and the mountain Tangle bag fits perfectly. You should order one. It's super light and cinches down nice and tight. Opening the zipper feels solid when the bag is stretched taut and you can fit a lot of stuff in there provided you pack smart

Quote Originally Posted by satanas View Post
    Tasmania?!? I'm in [shudder] Sydney.

Not sure what to do about bags for my NOS 2009 vintage M Fargo, but won't be an issue for a while as it's ski season for me at the moment. I was hoping yours might've been the same and you could thus tell me exactly what would fit, but I guess not. Just collected the last bits for the build today so hopefully will be able to ride it in the next few days. I think mine will end up with either 40x30x20 (if I can get a front derailleur to clear the bidon boss and work okay with the shifter), otherwise 34x22 should be enough for me and I know that will clear and shift okay.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks Henry! Exactly what I needed to know.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    Tom -

Here you go.

IMAG3356
    Thank again, Mike. I'm looking forward to getting my new Fargo!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    New member here, making my first post. I saw a "Large" Salsa Fargo yesterday at my local bike shop and would love to get my hands (and feet) on an XXL version. Any clues as to where I might be able to do so? I am 7', 290 lbs. and cannot fit comfortably on most bikes. If you have other alternatives feel free to chime in.

Thanks -
    Bob

Page 66 of 166 FirstFirst ... 16 56 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 76 116 ... LastLast