Page 65 of 168 FirstFirst ... 15 55 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 75 115 165 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,625 of 4180
    Spud State Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by korbs View Post
    hey doug.
    cool setup! I wasnt sure how I was going to set up by fargo until i saw your photo.

Are you still riding with the j bars? How are you liking or not liking them so far (if so)?

thanks!

Thx, I liked the setup pretty well but on longer rides the angle of the j-bars caused me some wrist pain. I have now returned to drop bars and running the ragley luxy....I have many miles on this setup and I think it is a keeper for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    My usage of the Fargo has morphed into more of a fun training rocket more than touring. Its too fun to ride to be popped into a category like that!

I have a single speed Cannondale 29er with spinergy xyclone disc wheels and 80mm lefty that im considering adapting to the fargo frame....

How is the rake differences on the Lefty going to effect the set up?
    The adapter would be from 321.

obsessive
    Oct 2009
    Cool. Yeah I was looking into the luxy bars too. I haven't yet done any miles with the titec bars so I guess I will have to wait and see. thanks!
    i want to ride my bicycle! i want to ride my bike....

mtbr member
    A short bikepacking trip with the Fargo.

My bike blog: www.yetirides.com

Dickhouse
    Dec 2010
    Just got my new XT build! Took it out for a 40mile rode ride first day. Then introduced it to some singletrack yesterday. Man, this thing is a hoot on singletrack!! Once I get some new bars figured out its going to be a lot of fun.

I had to ride the singletrack in the hoods the entire time, which didn't give me very much grip. The bell lap bars need replaced before any serious mountain biking is done.

obsessive
    Oct 2009
    Hey all. Just got my frame in the other day! SUPER excited to build it up. Wanted to share my joy, and build thus far.
    Im just wondering who out there has set up their fargo in this way. Skinny tires that is. Any feedback from experienced folk would be awesome. I think these wheels will be more or less temporary thing as I would love to have the ability to rock bigger tires. Im just not sure the dt 1.1s would be ok with bigger tires. So any tire recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Ive got a random assortment of conti gatorskins, specialized armadillos and so forth.

09 salsa Fargo in Medium
    King headset
    White industries MI6 Disc hubs
    DT Swiss RR 1.1 rims laced with DT bladed spokes
    Salsa moto ace stem
    Titec H bars (also have a set of salsa woodchippers)
    Avid speed dial Ti
    Paul components / Shimano Thumbies
    2011 Avid BB7 disc F and R 160mm rotors
    raceface turbine ISIS triple crankset
    Sram 9spd chain and cassette 11-34
    Xt front and rear derailleurs
    Thomson setback post with Brooks b17 narrow saddle
    time alium pedals
    temporary use of a set of soma fabrications fenders (for the skinnies) - planet bike cascadia fenders on order
    Jandd expedition rear rack
    Ortlieb classic rollers
    what else? did i miss anything important?

currently in search for more storage bags and such.
    looking at other jandd and revelate designs products, and others of course

thanks again! this thread is truely inspiring and informative

trail rat
    Hey all. Just got my frame in the other day! SUPER excited to build it up. Wanted to share my joy, and build thus far.
    Im just wondering who out there has set up their fargo in this way. Skinny tires that is. Any feedback from experienced folk would be awesome. I think these wheels will be more or less temporary thing as I would love to have the ability to rock bigger tires. Im just not sure the dt 1.1s would be ok with bigger tires.
    They will be fine.

Not a Fargo, but in the same spirit, this bike was built before the Fargo existed.
    I have run Nano, Vulpine, WW-LT, Exi, Race King, all 2.1 to 2.4 on the rims and all is good with probably 3000 miles.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    My Fargo in Yellowstone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Salsa Fargo Thread-pict4708.jpg  

The Salsa Fargo Thread-pict4663.jpg  

obsessive
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus View Post
    They will be fine.
    Not a Fargo, but in the same spirit, this bike was built before the Fargo existed.
    I have run Nano, Vulpine, WW-LT, Exi, Race King, all 2.1 to 2.4 on the rims and all is good with probably 3000 miles.
    Thanks slocaus, Did any of those tires stand out more than the others? Wondering which would be the most durable on pavement (riding to single track)

trail rat
    Thanks slocaus, Did any of those tires stand out more than the others? Wondering which would be the most durable on pavement (riding to single track)
    The Nano and the Race King are the only ones that I feel have good pavement durability; I have settled on the Nano as the best all around tire for me.

This bike gets about 75% pavement use, since it is my "road" bike and "commuter" bike. The other tire I would consider is the Geax Saguaro if you want a higher volume, great dirt tire that will last for pavement as well. I use that on the rear of my SS and it has great traction and lasts twice as long as any other tire I have used on a 29er in the last six years.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    IMAG3117

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks, slocaus. Very useful tyre info as I'm in the same boat. Now just waiting on the delivery men to arrive with the rest of the bits...

PS: biker_eric: Your photo next to the snow wall looks just the same conditions I had many years ago in a similar spot. We were fortunate enough to be in Yellowstone the day they cleared the road to the falls, and the next day Beartooth Pass was cleared. The latter was amazing, riding past frozen lakes and stopping to talk with backcountry skiers on the way up, then a fantastic descent in to Red Lodge. Happy Daze!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Is it comfortable to ride the hoods with them flared out like they are? I prefer hoods on road bike over regular flat bar is why I ask. Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by peter584 View Post
    Is it comfortable to ride the hoods with them flared out like they are? I prefer hoods on road bike over regular flat bar is why I ask. Thanks
    Yes, and you can set them up with minimal flare, if using a woodchipper. You can also run whatever you like, if not looking for a flared, off road, drop bar. That Salsa Cowbell2 looks like a great option.

obsessive
    Oct 2009
    any one order the salsa minimalist rack lately? I read somewhere they take a bit to receive... maybe on this thread? Anyway Im going to order one, they seem pretty cool and am just wondering how everyone else likes them and how long it took to receive. thanks!

those are Rollercams...
    any one order the salsa minimalist rack lately? I read somewhere they take a bit to receive... maybe on this thread? Anyway Im going to order one, they seem pretty cool and am just wondering how everyone else likes them and how long it took to receive. thanks!
    Greetings to a fellow Philadelphian! I like the Minimalist quite a bit, reminds me a lot of the old Pletscher rack. Got mine from Green Tire Bikes, took about 5 days total from the day I ordered it to receive it. Here's the link

http://www.greentirebikes.com/rk8000.html

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

obsessive
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WTB-rider View Post
    Greetings to a fellow Philadelphian! I like the Minimalist quite a bit, reminds me a lot of the old Pletscher rack. Got mine from Green Tire Bikes, took about 5 days total from the day I ordered it to receive it. Here's the link

http://www.greentirebikes.com/rk8000.html
    hey there! ive seen many of your posts on this thread and others. thanks for your valuable imput. I appreciate the link. Im working on finishing my fargo for a short trip down through cape may into maryland eastern shore. Should be only a few days but its coming up quick and id like to be somewhat ready. thanks for the link! happy philly riding

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    IMAG3117
    Great photo! Captures the feeling of just roaming on an adventure bike, no hurry, no goals. Thanks.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    Cross posting from the Internal hub forum, here is my exceedingly functional and currently fairly unattractive Fargo:

Guys,

Thought this might interest some of you. I've recently converted a Salsa Fargo to a Rohloff Speedhub using the OEM dropout design. A local framebuilder did the work for me, including fitting an EBB, cable guides and modifying the non-drive dropout.

Laced to Velocity Synergy rims (SON 28 front hub), 38t chainring, rides perfectly, just did my first service on the hub with the Rohloff kit and it's noticeably smoother.

Forgive the ugly touch-up paint, I'll be repainting it in the summer once I'm sure there's no more frame modifications required.

- Joel
    Cycling is Serious Business.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Excellent idea! Ugly, as you say, but nothing that cannot be fixed with paint. Now if Salsa would make them with the Alternator dropouts...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus View Post
    Great photo! Captures the feeling of just roaming on an adventure bike, no hurry, no goals. Thanks.
    thanks... i was day dreaming in was in a far off mountain meadow... but that is just 5 minutes from my house, right in town...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tomacropod View Post
    Cross posting from the Internal hub forum, here is my exceedingly functional and currently fairly unattractive Fargo:

Guys,

Thought this might interest some of you. I've recently converted a Salsa Fargo to a Rohloff Speedhub using the OEM dropout design. A local framebuilder did the work for me, including fitting an EBB, cable guides and modifying the non-drive dropout.

Laced to Velocity Synergy rims (SON 28 front hub), 38t chainring, rides perfectly, just did my first service on the hub with the Rohloff kit and it's noticeably smoother.

Forgive the ugly touch-up paint, I'll be repainting it in the summer once I'm sure there's no more frame modifications required.

- Joel
    pretty sweet mod!
    really wished that they made the 011 models with the new dropouts that are on the el-mar. then i'd be able to run fixed in the winter, and an IGH if i wanted...

Ride steel, stay hairy.

Dunalley-Wielangta return on the Fargo.

Solo dirt road ride from Dunalley to Wielangta return on the Fargo today. Had plenty of time to think about my bike and elements I like and those I don't. The riding position feels great, the handling is spot on BUT the weight is an issue. So heavy! I keep imagining carbon forks and parts which is not something I'd normally do. The Ti Fargo must be amazing..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Salsa Fargo Thread-fargo1.jpg  

The Salsa Fargo Thread-fargo2.jpg  

The Salsa Fargo Thread-fargo3.jpg  

The Salsa Fargo Thread-fargo4.jpg  

The Salsa Fargo Thread-fargo5.jpg  

www.bottlesandchains.com
    'ride local, drink global'

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    So far I have been enjoying my 2nd Gen Fargo. I have been using it as a commuter and training bike. Its just as awesome all around bike.

Pictures are from my first all day epic ride on Showers Pass road (the ride that inspired the clothing brand). More info can be found here http://northcoastbikerides.blogspot....Showers%20Pass.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hi, I'm near to build my travel bike, now I had to do the final choice:
    Salsa Fargo or Surly Pugsley?

I intend to use it for traveling, but even for some mountain trip and the big tyres of the surly like me, for normal use I will use the pugs with normal 29er wheels.

So, what do you think about that? I know that the 2011 fargo is usable with a 80mm fork, someone tried?

Page 65 of 168 FirstFirst ... 15 55 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 75 115 165 ... LastLast