Page 65 of 109 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,250 of 5418
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by keyhavenpotterer View Post
    Triton Cycles in the UK are selling off 2012 cream Fargo frame sets are very good prices. They only have XL size left tough.
    SALSA Fargo Frameset | £299.99 | Frames & Forks | Frames - 29ers | Triton Cycles

Brian
    So pity, they ship in UK only!

Strangelove
    Dec 2007
    My latest Adventure by Fargo turned sour. I wish they ran the alternator dropout on the Fargo to make it easier to run emergency singlespeed. A broken mech hanger and a mangled mech conspired to give me a long walk home. A jury rigged SS solution didn't work well due to having to find both a ratio that gave sufficient chain tension and chain line which led to the chain skipping up and down the cassette either throwing the chain off or breaking it in two.
    Luckily for me I had just nine miles to walk. I'd hate to have been loaded up and forty miles from help.

In an attempt to keep the chain in place I used a stick of hazel and some zip ties. It worked for a while which allowed me to trim some distance.

Before the troubles it had been another fine day with my Fargo. I still love this bike.

www.ukfatbikes.co.uk
    . . .the home of the UK fat bike community

mtbr member
    looks like a fatbike wheel up front? what's your tire size and pressure? have you been able to compare that to a susp. fork on singletrack?
    In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

Strangelove
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kevrider View Post
    looks like a fatbike wheel up front? what's your tire size and pressure? have you been able to compare that to a susp. fork on singletrack?
    I have not tried a suspension fork on a Fargo. That's a Rabbit Hole/ Knard 120tpi tyre up front. I run around 12psi in there. I only use that wheel when I know I'm going to be on rocky trails. It takes some of the sting out but most importantly provides lots of front end grip in the corners and whilst braking on steep loose surfaces.

I putting a short film together to show the Fargos abilities. Many see them as just a touring / adventure bike, but when fitted with a semi fat front end they are very capable at tackling pretty rough and fast singletrack.
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk
    . . .the home of the UK fat bike community

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Rough ride this morning.

50 miles of dirt and a riot of green here in Vermont! The Fargo is perfect for the back roads, trails, and mountain logging roads.

The Salsa Fargo Thread-image.jpg

The Salsa Fargo Thread-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by middcrossrx View Post
    50 miles of dirt and a riot of green here in Vermont! The Fargo is perfect for the back roads, trails, and mountain logging roads.
    Good to know! that's where I'll be riding mine too

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by middcrossrx View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	202.5 KB 
ID:	803115

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	175.6 KB 
ID:	803114
    yes it is!

IMG_7824 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I have sold my On One Inbred Monstercross and now I'm ready to build the Fargo, I'm so excited for that!!!
    Now it's time for me to take a decision: I really love the cream paint color of the 2012 model year while I hate the brown 2013, it's subjective, and also the color shouldn't be a big problem (I know) but after so many years of cycling I also like to get satisfaction from this kind of little details.

My idea is to buy a brand new 2012 frame (also enjoying a discount) and build it with full X9 drivetrain, Salsa seat post/stem/handlebar and nice wheelset (not decide yet, I'm in between American Classic or Stan's), I also think that I will mount a carbon fork to use when do not need to mount front rack and keep the enabler ready for the long trip only.

Buying a 2012 frame while we are in the middle of 2013 do you think that's a bad idea?
    Do you think that's better to forget about the paint color and buy the 2013?
    For which technical reason exactly?
    I know that 2013 model has bigger headtube and fully housed cable but in my opinion these are not a so decisive upgrades.

Thank you for your suggestions, then I'll keep you informed anout the build of this new Fargo!

Paolo

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Sounds to me like you already made up your mind, you don't need the approval of random strangers to justify your decisions Build whatever bike makes you happy!

I didn't like the idea of a brown bike either, until I saw a Fargo 2 for myself at my LBS. That's where I fell in love with the 2013 model. But colour is a very subjective thing, and I like to take pride in a bike that shows off my own individual sense of style. So if the cream colour does that for you, more power to you.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by GoremanX View Post
    you don't need the approval of random strangers to justify your decisions
    ^^^ This.

If we were mainstream, we would not look at the Fargo wonder warthog.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Sounds to me like you already made up your mind, you don't need the approval of random strangers to justify your decisions .
    Holy words!
    Anyway I just wanted to know if the 2013 frame is technically better then 2012: if somebody can tell that the Handling of 2013 is better than 2012 I will forget about the color: of course the handling is much more important in a bike.
    If the handling, the weight and the driving feeling is just the same I will choose the 2012 cream!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Geometry is identical, nothing has changed. The factory build still uses a straight 1-1/8" headset, even if the 2013 head tube can accommodate a tapered steerer. I use fully sheathed cables on my 2008 Kona Hoss, even though it wasn't designed for them, and they fit fine. Besides, there's nothing wrong with running bare cables over the top tube, we've all been doing that for endless decades.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Geometry is identical, nothing has changed. The factory build still uses a straight 1-1/8" headset, even if the 2013 head tube can accommodate a tapered steerer. I use fully sheathed cables on my 2008 Kona Hoss, even though it wasn't designed for them, and they fit fine. Besides, there's nothing wrong with running bare cables over the top tube, we've all been doing that for endless decades.
    it doesn't run them over the TT.

if you ride in snow / slop / mud and freezing temps, consider re-routing, or getting the 2013. i plan on rerouting mine next time i cable up.

mud-bb by mbeganyi, on Flickr

mtbr member
    May 2013

Questions with sizing, tires, and that need advices :)

Hi All!

Another Salsa Fargo noobie here, with questions with sizing, tires, and that need advices

Hi, I like both the Vaya 2 and the Fargo 2 models. I am 190 cm (6 feet 2.8) with 91 cm leg inseam (35.8 inch).
    I am looking at getting either the 58 cm (180cm - 191cm) or the 60 cm (188cm - UP).

Tough call because hard to get any idea what is right and reading some older post can be misleading. Anyone matching me and can recommend what would be the difference opting for the smaller or the bigger size?

I want to ride fairly relax, have a good compromise between power and confortability.

This to do some light touring (like a 1 week road/gravel backpack trip), day trips during the weekend with friends, and commuting to work during the week (22 km=13 miles). So I can say I will be doing mainly road/asphalt, and also hit the occasional gravel/dirt road.

The Vaya 2 would be more suitable to my type of use, and the Fargo 2 could look be very comfortable- may be changing its tires could make it even more road friendlier what do you think? What tires would you recommend?

I live in Sweden so there is no chance for me to visit any Salsa retailers unfortunately so any of advise on size and setup will help me to make the safe choice

Thank you in advance!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post

if you ride in snow / slop / mud and freezing temps, consider re-routing, or getting the 2013. i plan on rerouting mine next time i cable up.
    Yikes! Did not know that... I do ride in nasty winter weather, and now I'm glad I got the fully sheathed cables of the 2013 model. Also, the cables appear the run under the top tube on the 2013, not under the down tube.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yikes! Did not know that... I do ride in nasty winter weather, and now I'm glad I got the fully sheathed cables of the 2013 model. Also, the cables appear the run under the top tube on the 2013, not under the down tube.
    yeah, the cables on mine are not housed down there... even through they look it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    If I were your size, I would certainly go for an XL Fargo, or a 60 cm Vaya. I'm right at the edge between recommended L or XL sizing. I got an L Fargo, and I love it, but I sometimes wonder if I'd have liked the XL better. So, given you're a bit taller than I, I think the bigger size would be good.

As far as Fargo vs Vaya, that depends. I really considered both of them, but really fell in love with the Fargo. The Fargo and Vaya have very similar geometry, with the Vaya having narrower tire clearances. So, I would say the big difference is versatility. You can totally run narrow tires on a Fargo. I do so sometimes when I'm going to stick to pavement. But, you can't put the 2.2 inch 29er tires on a Vaya. So, I think, if you want that option, the Fargo is a winner. If you want a dedicated road/light trail tourer, Vaya is a wonderful bike too.

Quote Originally Posted by argaume View Post
    Hi All!

Another Salsa Fargo noobie here, with questions with sizing, tires, and that need advices

Hi, I like both the Vaya 2 and the Fargo 2 models. I am 190 cm (6 feet 2.8) with 91 cm leg inseam (35.8 inch).
    I am looking at getting either the 58 cm (180cm - 191cm) or the 60 cm (188cm - UP).

Tough call because hard to get any idea what is right and reading some older post can be misleading. Anyone matching me and can recommend what would be the difference opting for the smaller or the bigger size?

I want to ride fairly relax, have a good compromise between power and confortability.

This to do some light touring (like a 1 week road/gravel backpack trip), day trips during the weekend with friends, and commuting to work during the week (22 km=13 miles). So I can say I will be doing mainly road/asphalt, and also hit the occasional gravel/dirt road.

The Vaya 2 would be more suitable to my type of use, and the Fargo 2 could look be very comfortable- may be changing its tires could make it even more road friendlier what do you think? What tires would you recommend?

I live in Sweden so there is no chance for me to visit any Salsa retailers unfortunately so any of advise on size and setup will help me to make the safe choice

Thank you in advance!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hi, I am 6'2" with similar measurements like you and I have an L Fargo. I could easily have XL and that is what I recommend for you. Just yesterday, I bought Vaya. They had both 58 and 60cm versions in the store and they let me try both. I picked 60. More room on the bike, fewer spacers up front, less seatpost sticking out, enough space over the top bar to save my jewels when dismounting. I have had a Fargo generation I for three years and I swapped wheels for off-road and on road use and it worked well. Since I accumulated enough parts for two rigs I bought a Vaya and it will be my dedicated road/gravel/CX/commuting bicycle and my Fargo will get the fattest tires I can get through the frame and will retire as an adventure MTB. There is one feature in which Fargo reigns supreme over Vaya - my bike has 6 waterbottle mounts, and I used them all, both in the desert of Arizona and Colorado and on daylong trips in Europe. I will post pictures of both once I build my Vaya (brown-blue). Good luck!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Where I live we have long winters with snow, ice, and mud. I never had a problem with generation I Fargo cable routing. I would not even consider it an issue when choosing between two versions. In my eyes the only significant change is between non-suspended Fargo generation I and later suspension-corrected-generation-II Fargos. Unless Salsa shortens or beefs-up rear triangle, all Fargos will be the same. Just pick what you like more and ride it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

If you want to use the stock cable routing, just use the Gore fully sealed cables. It will effectively be just like running full-length housing. Admittedly, they are a bit pricey and a PITA to set-up. But they should give you a few seasons of trouble-free shifting.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    ^ I'm still using Gore cables bought and installed in the 1990s; they are extremely durable, have survived a couple of drivetrains and shift levers, and I'd recommend them very highly. NB: They are still on the same frame.

I don't think they are a PITA to install, but it does help to read the instructions(!), and to be careful. If you are not prepared to do this then they should perhaps be avoided. Whilst they cost more than other cables, they keep dirt out, reduce shift lever effort and last a very long time IME, so value for money is there.

Note that Gore has stopped making cables so they may be hard to find; I will be stockpiling some.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The Salsa Fargo Thread-p1050942.jpg

which handlebar is this?

Thanks!
    Paolo

mtbr member
    May 2013
    another question: which shims do you use to let the RAM front derailleur fit on the 28.6 mm Fargo seat tube?
    It seems that the smallest SRAM derailleurs mech is 31.8 while Fargo seat tube is 28.6, thank you!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Not sure about the 2012 model, but the 2013 Fargo uses a High Direct Mount front derailleur.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Not sure about the 2012 model, but the 2013 Fargo uses a High Direct Mount front derailleur.
    Yes, 2013 Fargo uses the direct Mount fron derailleur through the Problemn Solver direct Mount adaptor, but it's nearly impoosbile to find this adaptor in the European web shops, I cannot wait for a shipt from the States.
    I saw that the 2012 (that's my case) mounts a normal mech front derailleur, but what's the shims?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Shim thickness will be (diameter of FD clamp - diameter of seat tube)/2. If the FD clamp is 31.8 and seatube is 28.6, shim needs to be (31.8-28.6)/2 = 1.6mm. Where you can buy such shims is something about which I have no idea, though the Shimano multi size FDs start off at 34.9 and come with shims to fit 31.8 and 28.6, and shops often have excess shims sitting in a box somewhere.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lee paolo View Post

Name:	P1050942.JPG 
Views:	5382 
Size:	291.8 KB 
ID:	803524

which handlebar is this?

Thanks!
    Paolo
    Looks like the On-One Midge bars.
    "Ride what you love, love what you ride"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    i think the inside is 28.6.....31.8 is out side so sram 31.8 should work

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by medeist View Post
    i think the inside is 28.6.....31.8 is out side so sram 31.8 should work
    Inside is 27,2, see the seatpost diameter, outside is 28,6

mtbr member
    May 2010
    The Salsa Fargo Thread-image.jpgThe Salsa Fargo Thread-image.jpgThe Salsa Fargo Thread-image.jpg

I think they are most likely On One Midges. Examples of Midges fitted above. I really like them and have become much more confident on singletrack with them now. Feels like you are riding one of those speeders from Return of the Jedi when you are rushing along tree lined singletrack.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by jddjirikian View Post
    Looks like the On-One Midge bars.
    Nope! I posted that image. It's a Ti Fargo I built up for a customer of the shop where I work at that is doing Tour Divide in a couple of weeks. That bar is Ragley Luxy Bar. No longer available. You could only get those from Chain Reaction Cycles U.K.

There must be some sort of world wide synergistic convergence for these bars. This is the third time today I've seen or been asked directly about them. I've had mine for several years and had no inquiries until today. Weird!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    All right I picked up some Velocity VXC rims from a gent who needed to get rid of them, now I am trying to figure out what tires I should mount to them. My friend says I should put Schwalbe Marathon Supremes on them or the Schwalbe Big Apple. Anyone put these tires on their Fargo?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    That bar is Ragley Luxy Bar. No longer available.
    Damn! Should have known that! I've been on the lookout for some these last few months. They don't seem to come up on ebay or the forums since they were discontinued and I'm in the UK.

I like he look of the bottom sweep which seems angled more to ride like conventional mtb bars. Just have to live with my Midges and keep my etes peeled!

Spud State Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Peak7 View Post
    All right I picked up some Velocity VXC rims from a gent who needed to get rid of them, now I am trying to figure out what tires I should mount to them. My friend says I should put Schwalbe Marathon Supremes on them or the Schwalbe Big Apple. Anyone put these tires on their Fargo?

I have been running Marthon XR's and now the new Mondial for quite a while. I run them tubeless at 35-40 psi. They are almost bullet proof and last forever.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Nope! I posted that image. It's a Ti Fargo I built up for a customer of the shop where I work at that is doing Tour Divide in a couple of weeks. That bar is Ragley Luxy Bar. No longer available. You could only get those from Chain Reaction Cycles U.K.

There must be some sort of world wide synergistic convergence for these bars. This is the third time today I've seen or been asked directly about them. I've had mine for several years and had no inquiries until today. Weird!
    Thank you! It's a very nice piece, pity it's no longer available, I'll search it in some web shop, also CRC seems it's sold out.

Spud State Rider

Do you know if Ragley stopped producing these or if CRC just stopped carrying them? I guess I am lucky to have two already. They are by far my favorite drop bar.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug_ID View Post
    I have been running Marthon XR's and now the new Mondial for quite a while. I run them tubeless at 35-40 psi. They are almost bullet proof and last forever.

What size are they? 40c? looks like you have plenty of clearance all around. thinking of using 40-50 Duremes

Spud State Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by nachtjager View Post
    What size are they? 40c? looks like you have plenty of clearance all around. thinking of using 40-50 Duremes
    Yea they are

700 x 40c

I had been running the 50's before and decided to try something a bit narrower. Thinking now a 45 or so would be perfect.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug_ID View Post
    Do you know if Ragley stopped producing these or if CRC just stopped carrying them? I guess I am lucky to have two already. They are by far my favorite drop bar.
    Ragley is to CRC as Salsa is to QBP, so you see that they are a house brand for CRC. My understanding is that there is a "Luxy 2" to come. I do not know how it is different, or when it is coming, or for how much, but CRC will have it when it does make an appearance, if it does.

Brant Richards, who designed the Luxy is no longer with Ragley/CRC, and that may be the reason for the change, but I am just speculating there. I had a very small part in the original Luxy Bar's design phase, so the two I have are special to me. The thing came out waaaay different than I had envisioned, by the way!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Picked up my brand new 2013 Fargo 2 XL yesterday! What a beauty, rides like a dream. I stuck with the brown/orange theme for some accessories. Still waiting on the Wanderlust rear rack so I can mount the brown/orange pannier

Taking it out for its first long ride today, really looking forward to it.

As for the LBS where I bought it, I'm a bit disappointed. Seems like I overpaid for the bike ($1950 +tax, most other places have it at $1850). And the brakes were VERY poorly adjusted, making it hard to come to a complete stop at all. I spent all of 5 minutes rectifying that, not sure why the LBS didn't do it.

Speaking of brakes, even adjusted to perfection, they're still underwhelming. I've been running hydraulic Avid Code 5's with a front 203mm disc for the last 3 years, and going back to BB brakes with a 160mm disc takes a lot of getting used to. Maybe I'll dig into my spare parts bin and see if I can find a bigger rotor and caliper bracket.
    Last edited by GoremanX; 05-31-2013 at 08:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Goreman, how tall are you? I like your XL - not too many spacer and not too much seatpost sticking out. It looks nicely balanced. What pedals are you using? Some SPD freeride? They are wide! Enjoy your maiden voyage on Fargo!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    There, that's better:

I ordered a proper IS 203mm caliper bracket, but for now the post-bracket-on-IS-bracket setup works fine. Still doesn't stop near as well as my Code 5's, but it's a vast improvement over the 160mm disc. Now the rear looks puny, and I can't lock it up... maybe I should upgrade it to a 185mm

Quote Originally Posted by fox1965 View Post
    Goreman, how tall are you? I like your XL - not too many spacer and not too much seatpost sticking out. It looks nicely balanced. What pedals are you using? Some SPD freeride? They are wide! Enjoy your maiden voyage on Fargo!
    I'm 6'1", with a relatively short inseam (so long torso). The saddle height needs to come up just a smidge, but the fit is otherwise perfect, exactly what I was hoping for.

The pedals are Wellgo WAM-D10's. They're a double-sided pedal, platform on one side and SPD on the other. I've been running WAM-D10's for 4+ years, and I never want to switch. I replace them with the same model when they wear out (about every 2 years so far). They're amazingly convenient. You can tell which side of the pedal you're stepping on by feel, so if you're on the wrong side, you just lift your foot off the pedal for half a turn and put it back down. I wear my SPD shoes for long treks, and I can hop on with any normal shoes for short runs to the mailbox or the convenience store. These work way better for me than typical platform SPD pedals.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Sweet, found an old 185mm disc and an appropriate caliper bracket for the rear. Now I have adequate braking power. I can just about lock up the rear brake on pavement. I don't dare add any more braking power on 32 spoke wheels, especially with my weight.

Before:

After:
    Last edited by GoremanX; 05-31-2013 at 08:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Wow, that was a great ride, what an amazing bike. I did 24 miles. Normally I'd do more, but it was 88f/31c out there with bright sunshine, no breeze in sight and enough humidity to drown in. A few observations from this first ride:

- Salsa should call this colour "super awesome metallic brown", or at least something a little more interesting than just "brown". When the sun hits the paint, it sparkles with all kinds of beautiful green, yellow and red metal flake. It's mesmerizing!

- the Thudbuster seat post creaks incessantly. Sounds annoying. I tried tightening the bolts, and it helped, but didn't eliminate the issue. I think I'll just get a good old Thomson seat post.

- I love this bike, it rolls way better than my old Kona Hoss with a lot less effort. I can go farther faster, this will make exploring new areas even more fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Glad you're lovin' the Fargo, GoremanX! I haven't had any issues with my stopping power, though my brakes, especially the front, do seem to require a bit more adjusting than I'm used to. I've seen the brown in person, but only indoors. Maybe I should take it for a test ride, despite already having my cream Fargo. The metallic effect of which you speak does sound neat, though so far I've preferred the blue 2013 over the brown in the showroom.

So, some recent pics:

Recent storms in my neck of the woods have felled quite a few trees. It gives the rail-to-trail some character. Challenge accepted.

Seems legit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SocratesDiedTrolling View Post
    I haven't had any issues with my stopping power, though my brakes, especially the front, do seem to require a bit more adjusting than I'm used to.
    You probably don't weigh 250+ pounds In my weight category, every bit of stopping power helps.

What part of the world are you in? We've also had some nasty amounts of rain recently, but the 88f+ bright sunny weather is taking care of most of that.

A few more observations:

- that bottom bracket sure sits low... a lot lower than I'm used to on a MTB. It does seem to add some stability, though.

- going suspension-less is surprisingly pleasant. I've been brainwashed by marketing into thinking that bikes NEED at least a suspension fork these days. It's easy to forget my suspension-less youth.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nachtjager View Post
    I mounted Marathon Supremes thsi spring, they are listed as 50's, but in practice only measure 45.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Seriously considering a Fargo but a frame and forks build. The question I have is that I want to use a CX bike as a donor which is all Shimano 105, everywhere I look Fargo has XT SRAM ie mtb gearing, will I be OK with 105, what should I change, its a 2x10.

Also wheels currently the wheelset would be Alex CXD, it would obviously save me a lot of money if I can transfer most of the components and upgrade as I went along.

I actually only bought the CX ike as it was mostly 105 with BB7s.

never summer
    Here is my Fargo as of late. I've been thinking about going back to a MTB tire or more off-road tire for the summer. The Marathon Supreme get around okay, just not that sure footed.

Fargo Ti + Moonlander + Necro Pug + Nature Boy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by petenugent View Post
    will I be OK with 105,
    Pete,

The only trouble you will have is with the new Gen3 frames having a direct mount front derailleur. In this case you will need a direct mount Shimano 9 speed MTB front derailleur and a Shiftmate #7. You can see how I did this with 105 shifters here:
    My Fargo Build