Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The Salsa Fargo Thread

2M views 6K replies 794 participants last post by  hankj 
#1 ·
Here's the Fargo in action. post yours when you get it here...

See less See more
#1,402 ·
I set up the front D as it should be and if I find a case of it needing adjustment I use the trim function of the shift lever. The only issue is with cable stretch, you can't just "adjust" it out. I plan to add the Jagwire mini rubber coated adjusters in white (Tree Fort Bikes has them for $9.95 and they do ship to Canada although postage would be a bit much).

#1,403 ·
Thanks clewttu and Ocho...heading to my lbs after work to pick up my wheels, should get it sorted there...did have a look on jenson and i see the minibarrel adjusters from jagwire...
its just the front i really need it for.
thanks for the help...hopefully next time i post it'll be to share experience of the new ride...
cheers

#1,407 ·
Mud tires on the Fargo...

Hey everyone.
I have been riding my Fargo as a commuter and local tourer with WTB Vulpines. We have a few trails in the area that are great, and approved, for wet conditions riding. I am tired of hosing down my Knolly Delirium and want to run the Fargo more on the wet days.

Part of the reason I want to run the Fargo is the fact that I have modified Cascadia fenders already mounted up. I run Maxxis Ardents on my 26" MTB and I really like them for the majorty of riding I do.

Does anyone know if the 2.4 Ardents will fit with the Cascadia fenders? I could bend the metal tabs on the fenders a bit if needed. I am not considering the 2.25 Ardents in 29 because they do not have the EXO protection.

The other tires I am considering are the WTB Bronson and Bontrager Jones mud X. I can easily find the Ardents but not sure about the Bronsons or JMX's. If anyone has comments on these tires I am all ears. The Vulpines will go back on the Fargo once the trails dry out some.

Thanks!

All of these tires cost about the same and would like to stick with WTB or Maxiss if possible.

#1,408 ·
The Ardent 2.4"ers are huge. I wouldn't think they would even fit at all without fenders on wider rims, say Semis, and gordos for sure. My Gordo/Ardent 2.4"ers were 62+ millimeters wide, so you can figure not having the Cascadias cover the Ardent very well, if at all.

The Mud X would be where I would go here. The tires will easily fit under the fenders, and they slay mud.

Bronsons wouldn't work that well. To close in the knob placement and they are flimsy knobs on the edges of the tires too.

#1,409 ·
Colinmonty, can't wait to see the complete build. It must feel like Christmas for you. :D

About the earlier discussions of the Vulpines--I've used them on miles of pavement (and gravel roads as well) and I'm very pleased with them. They didn't seem to wear prematurely, even on chip sealed roads. I've tried other tires but in my experience nothing beats the low rolling resistance of the Vulpines and I've used them for 2 seasons and am just now mounting new ones for this season. I do like how tall the tires are which gives one a cushier ride. :thumbsup:

#1,411 ·
Guitar Ted said:
The Ardent 2.4"ers are huge. I wouldn't think they would even fit at all without fenders on wider rims, say Semis, and gordos for sure. My Gordo/Ardent 2.4"ers were 62+ millimeters wide, so you can figure not having the Cascadias cover the Ardent very well, if at all.

The Mud X would be where I would go here. The tires will easily fit under the fenders, and they slay mud.

Bronsons wouldn't work that well. To close in the knob placement and they are flimsy knobs on the edges of the tires too.
Thanks for the reply Ted. Guess I need to visit a local Bontrager dealer for some mud X tires.

+++on the Vulpines for all around riding without much mud.

#1,414 ·
sfuller said:
colinmonty - Glad to see the 2011 FGG frames are shipping. I have one on order too. I do have to say I like the old downtube graphics with the red lettering a little better. Guess I'll have to get used to it. Excited to see your finished build.
I liked the red lettering of the old Fargo. I am glad that they still provide the fgg. I like it a lot better than the cream. I also like the suspension correctedfork. Makes the steer tube shorter. My old xxl steer tube is so long that it looks weird. I will post pics when I am done.

#1,415 ·
colinmonty said:
I liked the red lettering of the old Fargo. I am glad that they still provide the fgg. I like it a lot better than the cream. I also like the suspension correctedfork. Makes the steer tube shorter. My old xxl steer tube is so long that it looks weird. I will post pics when I am done.
Sounds like a lot of my thoughts too. I wouldn't have gone to the 2011 had they not run this batch of FGG frames. Suspension correction was one thing for me, and the slightly shorter top tube as well. I also wanted a fork built to work with the anything cages.

#1,416 ·
sfuller said:
Sounds like a lot of my thoughts too. I wouldn't have gone to the 2011 had they not run this batch of FGG frames. Suspension correction was one thing for me, and the slightly shorter top tube as well. I also wanted a fork built to work with the anything cages.
One reason I made the change was that the XXL was just a little to large. As everyone has said before, it is really difficult to pick out the correct size. I had the last 2010 XL ordered, but someone bought it from under me. Hopefully this XL will fit.

#1,418 · (Edited)
Sprig is here!

Shot ride in Oslo's untouched mini valley, the Mærradalen.
Apologies for the bad photo quality, but I had to use AquaPack on my cell due to snowfall, which unfortunately cannot be seen in the photos.
The Chariot trailer made the trip more challenging.
Below the 3 inches of fresh snow there was rock hard ice, so the studded Nokians were great here :)

Wheel Tire Mode of transport Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle accessory

Tire Wheel Mode of transport Automotive tire Spoke

Iron Metal Snow Freezing Still life photography

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport

Winter Mode of transport Bicycle wheel Branch Freezing

Winter Flag Freezing Bicycle wheel Snow

Winter Branch Nature Natural environment Freezing

Branch Winter Freezing Stream Snow

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Winter

#1,420 ·
suspension forks! ....fargo to... farman...manfar

Anyone else doing it???
....suspension....
haha must be a few trying this right now.
Forks ordered, offset fears dispensed with, just looking forward to dialing it all in. Should be ready in the next few weeks with new racks and frame bag as well so we'll see how it goes.
i do have some concerns on bike set up now as i'm in going to forks now rather than later as intended.
i'm wondering if very lightly loaded anything cages on the slider tubes is a terrible idea?, if it is and I like the idea of light load still being used with cages do does anybody out there think some kind of tubus like skewer mounting could be used with clamps on suspension sliders?
another puzzle right now is where i'm going to load my heavy as hell fuggedabout mini and cable on my fairly light setup. After being sure of going with a tubus vega, i decide to go with the longer decked nifty looking wanderlust rack. i'm not sure now because its aluminium and i need to load that lock on there, I wonder if the tubus is the better call...
great to see people mission pictures :thumbsup:
thanks all

cheers