Page 60 of 169 FirstFirst ... 10 50 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 70 110 160 ... LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 4224
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by colinmonty
    Boomersooner523,

What tires do you have on your Fargo? Your "Skinny Tires". I have Vulpines for off-road, but I am looking for a on-road set. I have some Cheap kendas that I got for $6 each. They do not sit on my rims very well.
    Thats funny you mention that because I just spend like 10$ on some used tires for off road use. I got 1.9's. The tires I currently have came on the bike when I bought it from the PO and they are actually Continental Travel CONTACTS. They are very worn in the pictures but they are a fantastic set for on road use.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug_ID
    Ahhh....Still very very nice

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by colinmonty
    I had heard mid April. I could not wait so I bought it from a dealer.
    Well, my LBS is saying they can see them in the catalog, but they are still listed as 'not orderable' by non-stocking dealers

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dankilling
    Well, my LBS is saying they can see them in the catalog, but they are still listed as 'not orderable' by non-stocking dealers

I was working with one guy who has the same problem. I was on a time limit, so I went to a dealer!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Concerning the new geometry on the 2011 frames... I wonder if some of those tweaks were done to help push people one way or the other on their decision to get a Fargo or a Vaya. The comments I've read so far RE: Geometry and comfort compared to the 1st gen frames make me think so.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Fargo gen I suspended - has anybody tried?

Hi, I used my Fargo to cross the US unsupported and did quite a few long trips with on and off road with tires ranging in width form 28 mm to 2.3". I must say it is ideal both on and off-road. I use it as an MTB between the trips and that is when I could use a suspended fork. HAS ANYONE TRIED? YOUR EXPERIENCE? Please do not advise me to buy generation II Fargo. I want to know if anybody tried it on gen I. I know of all the possible shortcomings of such a step, my frame is L. But I can imagine that it could work under some circumstances. If you tried it, post a picture pls!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Got my fargo today. If anyone is interested a medium complete weighs 12.8kg

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by fox1965
    Hi, I used my Fargo to cross the US unsupported and did quite a few long trips with on and off road with tires ranging in width form 28 mm to 2.3". I must say it is ideal both on and off-road. I use it as an MTB between the trips and that is when I could use a suspended fork. HAS ANYONE TRIED? YOUR EXPERIENCE? Please do not advise me to buy generation II Fargo. I want to know if anybody tried it on gen I. I know of all the possible shortcomings of such a step, my frame is L. But I can imagine that it could work under some circumstances. If you tried it, post a picture pls!
    From the research I have done and what I have read, you will have a hard time finding a suspension fork with a long enough steer tube to fit the gen one bikes. I may be wrong. I have a bike that was custom made before the Fargo was released, but very close in design; mine has a suspension corrected fork so I have thought about trying a suspension fork with a lockout. I have not found one.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

Spud State Rider
    Nice shots of your new Fargo Matt

Coloradian
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fox1965

According to Salsa's site, the Large green Fargo has a 190mm head tube. Most new suspension forks come with 260mm or so steer tubes (last time I looked) so you should be able to get one on your bike. You might have to be careful about what headset and stem you use, but it should be possible.

I wouldn't try it, though, even if I had a fork lying around that I knew would "fit". Having tried such things on other bikes over the years, I would bet you would end up with seriously jacked up geometry. Very high bottom bracket, chopper steering, and so on. But who knows? Maybe someone has tried it and loved it.
    29ers are just a fad, like disc brakes, suspension, indexed shifting and mountain bikes.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Zimmermann
    According to Salsa's site, the Large green Fargo has a 190mm head tube. Most new suspension forks come with 260mm or so steer tubes (last time I looked) so you should be able to get one on your bike. You might have to be careful about what headset and stem you use, but it should be possible.

I wouldn't try it, though, even if I had a fork lying around that I knew would "fit". Having tried such things on other bikes over the years, I would bet you would end up with seriously jacked up geometry. Very high bottom bracket, chopper steering, and so on. But who knows? Maybe someone has tried it and loved it.
    I've considered what it might take to get this done on a Gen I Fargo. Here are my thoughts:

1: Find a Rock Shox Reba made to fit a Fisher 29"er with an uncut steer tube. (This might be tough) It would have a 51mm offset, so perfect for the Fargo Gen I

2: Reduce the travel to 60 mm using spacers internally.This would pull the axle to crown down to a more reasonable level.

3: Install and ride. Should have a touch higher BB height, but given that sag will account for a lower height, it might come out pretty close. Even though the head tube and seat tube might be slightly slacker, a slightly higher BB on a Gen I Fargo off-road might be a good thing.

I don't know that it would actually work, and of course, you'd need to find that Reba, (I think you can buy the crown/stanchions for that G2 offset?), but it might make a good project for somebody.

mtbr member
    Hmm...I may actually try this, since I have a gen 1 Fargo and a Reba leaning against the garage wall that I've recently installed a G2/uncut steerer on. I wouldn't be changing the travel, though.

Hmm... Too bad it's been raining here for the last several days, and is supposed to rain for the next week. The trails are soaked.

Hmm....

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    I've considered what it might take to get this done on a Gen I Fargo. Here are my thoughts:

1: Find a Rock Shox Reba made to fit a Fisher 29"er with an uncut steer tube. (This might be tough) It would have a 51mm offset, so perfect for the Fargo Gen I

2: Reduce the travel to 60 mm using spacers internally.This would pull the axle to crown down to a more reasonable level.

3: Install and ride. Should have a touch higher BB height, but given that sag will account for a lower height, it might come out pretty close. Even though the head tube and seat tube might be slightly slacker, a slightly higher BB on a Gen I Fargo off-road might be a good thing.
    FS: Chinese carbony goodness, trade for a steel frame?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    My Fargo Mk1, just built up and still need to finalise fit, think the bars still need to be higher and a little longer on the stem.

Salsa Fargo by dickyelsdon, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug_ID
    Nice shots of your new Fargo Matt
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

suspension

had a blast riding my suspended fargo today! (gen2)
    just stoked to ride with forks, panaracer rampage 2.35 up front. awesome in the mud. great cornering. could be a good tire to add to a light weight bikepacking adventure. use the race kings mostly, whip out the rampage for special occasions
    The forks for those interested are manitou tower expert with lockout. coil/ air, nice damping and i'm about 155lbs so the stock spring seems good. all black no stickers... looks good on the fargo!
    this is a wickedly versatile and fun bicycle!!!

i'll post a picture when i can.

cheers!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    @Guitar Ted: Thanks for the info! I was guessing that the chainwheels were a bit smaller than they are; I'm not surprised I didn't recognise the cranks.

@seat_boy: I dug out a 1990 Suntour catalog to find out the BB specs but they don't list the spindle lengths. IIRC - and I might not! - the MD cranks used a shorter spindle than the standard cranks. I think the MDs were about 112mm, and the standard ones were about 10 or 12mm longer, but I wouldn't swear to either.

I suspect that the only way you're going to get something like 42x26 to clear the stays is with one of the newer FSA cranks (42x27 possible) SRAM in 39x26 or 42x28, Rotor cranks (use standard 110/74 rings) or these: http://www.suginoltd.co.jp/english/z...in_english.htm BTW, good luck finding the last ones; it looks like Sugino have some other new stuff too, but the links on their site don't even work yet.

meh

Alfine 11 Fargo

Finished building this up about a month ago, havent gotten around to taking/posting any photos till now.
    I was trying to decide what I wanted as an all around bike to fit in between my FS mountain bike and road bike, and was looking at a some others (like the Civia Bryant and such) when I came across the Fargo and started lurking around here. I fell in love with the notion of its swiss army knife-ish uncategory. Basically wanted an IGH, steel framed, disc braked, dropbar, big tired, commuter/tourer that could handle just about any surface I could throw at it and would last me a good while (would have liked a belt drive, but center track isnt out yet which pretty much killed that for me). As soon as the Alfine 11 drop bar shifters hit the stores back in January, I started accumulating parts.
    Absolutely loving this bike for cruising to the bars, getting groceries, all day exploring on/off road, and soon to be some touring... its been an amazingly fun ride, and not bad looking either.

Build:
    Salsa Fargo Large
    Alfine 11 Rear Hub 36h 18t with Alfine Tensioner
    Alfine Generator Front Hub 32h
    Velocity Dyad Halo Reflective Rims
    WTB Vulpine Rear
    WTB Nanoraptor Front
    Versa VRS-11 Brifters
    Salsa Woodchipper Bars
    Salsa Cross Top Levers
    Brooks Antique Brown Tape
    Brooks B17 Antique Brown
    Chris King Brown Sotto Voce Heasdset
    e.13 XC SS Crankset with 38t Raceface Chainring
    Cane Creek Thudbuster LT
    Easton EA50 70mm Stem 20deg
    Avid BB7 160mm Brakes
    Topeak Super Tourist DX Tubular Rack
    Topeak MTX TrunkBag DXP
    Planet Bike Cascadia 29er Fenders (need to make an adapter for the front crown)

Still need to get a generator light.

Reflective rims with my phones flash.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Verrry nice indeed! How well does the shifting work? I wasn't aware there was an 11 speed Versa shifter (or brown headsets and spacers!) and will have to investigate further...

meh
    it shifts great, really like being able to downshift while stopped...admittedly this is my first foray into IGH's so i cant give a great critique
    the brown isnt a common color King makes, and may take a little extra time to get

mtbr member

Suspended Gen 1

Well, I did it, but not without issues: I installed my '08 Reba, G2 crown, uncut steerer on my XL Fargo this afternoon. Here are the results:

Before:

After:

I measured the bottom bracket height change to be 30mm. That's pretty significant. I did some rough trig calculations, and that's an angle change of 3.7*.

A major issue was the steerer length. Even with my uncut tube, it only extended about 20mm past the headset:

The normal headset cap bolt wouldn't reach the star fangled nut, and I didn't have a long enough bolt on hand to work. With that the case, I just pressed down on the stem while tightening the stem bolts. Only the lower bolt actually gripped the steerer.

This setup didn't exactly encourage me to go crazy and push the limits to see how it handled, so instead I just rode up and down the street. Surprisingly, it wasn't terrible. I expected massive wheel flop, or it to be hard to steer, or something, but it wasn't a huge change. Pushing it harder might have revealed more, but images of the fork falling out of the head tube kept me mellow.

Kind of an inconclusive experiment, but I tried.

2OFME
    Sep 2006
    I would highly suggest not riding that thing for long term with that little amount of stem clamping the steerer. Hopefully you're not going to do that. That is just asking for trouble.

mtbr member
    No worries, it's already back to its regular fork.

Quote Originally Posted by onrhodes
    I would highly suggest not riding that thing for long term with that little amount of stem clamping the steerer. Hopefully you're not going to do that. That is just asking for trouble.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    @clewttu: Thanks.

@seat_boy: It's good that you're not going to ride with that steerer tube!

Ride & Smile
    That must be another reason Salsa discontinued the 24" frame. It had a 8.7" head tube length where the current generation Fargo only has a 6.69" head tube length on the largest size.
    KanzaKrūzer
    Salsa Warbird | Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    How much clearance would the head tube length on a medium frame allow ??

Page 60 of 169 FirstFirst ... 10 50 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 70 110 160 ... LastLast