Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 8485455565758
Results 5,701 to 5,709 of 5709
    mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by FargoGX View Post
    It's heavy once you load it down with gear for trekking. I ride it on paved trails and roads all day long at 15MPH just as it came from the factory ... plus a rear fender, rear rack, two ortlieb classic rollers and 30+ pounds of junk. If you're worried about every ounce, the Fargo isn't your bike. But if you're worried about every ounce, why are you even looking at a Fargo?
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    My 2017 is heavy, but it's also the most versatile bike I own. I use it for everything from commuting on mixed surfaces to moderately technical singletrack to bikepacking. It's not necessarily the best choice for any one of those, but it gets the job done and it is always fun to ride. If I was primarily riding on pavement I would probably get a Vaya. The Fargo is designed as a mountain bike, so it's always going to perform better on dirt. A nice set of "road" wheels will certainly make it feel a little snappier.
    This answers it for me well. I'm just worried about being able to keep up when on paved trail rides with less serious (non mtb) biking friends, at 15mph on flats...while not struggling on climbs.

It's good to see that it shouldn't be a problem, since I prefer comfortability vs shaving every ounce of weight!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Depending on your fitness level you should be fine. I average about 15 mph on my 11 mile commute and easily maintain 16-18 on the flat sections. This is on a non-paved rail trail with 2.4 knobbies on the stock wheels. I ride a lot, but I'm no powerhouse: 61 YOA and packing about 15 extra pounds around the mid-section. Should you find you cant keep up, try a set of Schwalbe Big Apples or Marathons on your stock wheels before shelling out more $$ for new wheels.Good luck and welcome to the Fargo club.
    The older I get the better I was...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wow, 58 pages and 5700+ posts are a bit much but I think this has all convinced me to go after a barely used gen 4 Fargo over an entry level Vaya and other bikes. It already starts with better parts and lower weight and can clearly take some 40-45 mm tires.

Addressing my cons list, it appears the steel Firestarter fork and a QR adapter I just found at Problem Solvers site would give it some utility. It also looks like you can give the Fargo more mounting options with their own adapters and racks.

I'm not a weight weenie and have been commuting with a steel 29r MTB. This should have same toughness, spare the suspension fork, and let me keep knobbies on that bike. Of course the Fargo thread is probably the wrong place to have someone talk you out of one.

ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    Wow, 58 pages and 5700+ posts are a bit much but I think this has all convinced me to go after a barely used gen 4 Fargo over an entry level Vaya and other bikes. It already starts with better parts and lower weight and can clearly take some 40-45 mm tires.

Addressing my cons list, it appears the steel Firestarter fork and a QR adapter I just found at Problem Solvers site would give it some utility. It also looks like you can give the Fargo more mounting options with their own adapters and racks.

I'm not a weight weenie and have been commuting with a steel 29r MTB. This should have same toughness, spare the suspension fork, and let me keep knobbies on that bike. Of course the Fargo thread is probably the wrong place to have someone talk you out of one.

Don’t do it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
    Don’t do it!
    Too late.

ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    okay, well the least you can do is post some pics of your new rig. and, congrats!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
    okay, well the least you can do is post some pics of your new rig. and, congrats!
    Almost new, barely used, new used? What bike to get was settled with a really good deal on a 2016 that was barely used. Now I'm at configuration and gear homework in addition to a lot of riding.

It came with 2.2 Race Kings that might be better all around tires than I thought - not noisy commuting, not feeling totally slow, and discovered as clearly "no problem" compared to 40c tires when hitting soft, loose and wet stuff. I thought Riddler 45c might be the best for truly on and off road use but maybe not needed.

The whole bags, racks, types, brands and setup for more than commuting is the next mystery. I have my venerable Ortlieb back rollers and am doing homework.

The plastic fork is a nice light performer but it looks like a 2016 has no decent accommodations for fenders.

I'm really a trail (MTB) rider at the core but I have a feeling this bike will get a LOT of use. A teenage son is loving it too. It's quicker than commuting on MTB or fattie. Home and our cabin area are surrounded by rail trails and gravel roads.

The Salsa Fargo Thread-av54kkr.jpg
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lmike6453 View Post
    Hey guys, new Fargo owner here with a 2018 in cream color on pre order.

I have to ask, is it heavy? I'm worried that it won't ride well on paved trails and roads, and that it will be hard on climbs.

I'm willing to pick up a second wheel set to use it as a roadie if it will help a lot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    It's only been a short while but the 2016 I just got has fast rolling Race King 2.2 tires and I'm not feeling any reason for different wheels. They roll way better than the relatively fast MTB tires and bike I was using for short commutes and a Fargo is no modern bad a$$ trail/enduro bike so it's good overall.

It appears Riddler 45c tires are a good solution to speed up or make things feel quick and have off road performance. We might do that experiment if my son puts the Race Kings on the MTB he uses for everything.

I don't know how you intend to use the bike but one riding friend is a big fan of a Schwalbe Marathon series tire he says is good for basic off road stuff and a really tough commuter. A tourer I know with a Wolverine frame goes with a 45c Kenda Kwik to address paved and unpaved riding.

A few days ago I was caught in a downpour over fallen leaves on pavement. I'm old and no great athlete. The MTB width tire was confidence and I passed others on a hill. On a different ride it was only big ring riding on pavement with someone riding on 40c touring tires that made my Fargo seem hard and drafting made up the difference. Add, there are posts here and elsewhere on rolling resistance if you want to get really nerdy about it.

Enjoy the bike. I'm liking mine more than I expected to!
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Partridge

I don't how many here hunt but a gated road, a dog, a gun and a Fargo can't be beat. Northwestern Maine
    The Salsa Fargo Thread-dog.jpg

Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 8485455565758

Members who have read this thread: 316