Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 7475354555657
Results 5,601 to 5,697 of 5697

Harmonius Wrench

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by Rorshanks View Post
    Does anyone have an experience with the Salsa Cowchipper bars over the Woodchipper?

I intended the Fargo to be my all-around second bike to use bikepacking, commuting, trailering around the kids, and for mountain biking when my local trails that are getting a little boring on my full suspension.

I'm 5'11" on a 2017 medium Fargo. When in the drops, I feel a little too much leaned over like the bars are too low, even though the handlebars are at the top of my spacer stack. My bars are currently set up so riding on the hoods is pretty comfortable, but hard to reach the levers in the drops. I could move the hoods lower, but then I'm afraid I would be limited to the "too-low" drop position all the time. I find this position tiring for long rides.

I know the Cowchippers will solve the problem of having a useable lever position in hoods and the drops, but will they put me in an even lower position on the bike since they have a bit more drop? Or will the tighter radius of the Cowchippers improve my position?

I may also try a higher rise stem, but for now I'm wondering if different bars might solve both problems (lever reach in hoods/drops and getting a more upright position.)
    I've ridden a lot with both those bars. Your worries are spot on with the Woodchipper and it is why I really do not like that bar.

The Cowchipper solves all those issues. Yes, it has a bit deeper drop, but as you say, a stem swap can get you in a "drop" position that works better, if you need that. I did not.

Personally, I feel the Cowchipper is a far superior drop bar. The Woodchipper was a bar that wasn't right out of the box and no amount of futzing with rotating it, stems, or spacer gymnastics could fix that for me. It is an inferior design and many bikes I see it on have compromised either the hoods position or drops position so much the rider doesn't use the one position that has been compromised at all.

That said, there are many that are in love with Woodchippers. That's why Salsa has both bars. I get it. It is just my opinion that the Woodchipper is a flawed design. Hopefully you get someone to comment that hates Cowchippers and loves Woodchippers. Balanced and fair reviewing, ya know.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evirob View Post
    I went with 29+ wheels and the clearance could be better. 40mm ID rims with WTB Rangers.
    Just out of curiosity, that's with the 3.0 Rangers or the 2.8?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by annoying crack View Post
    Gearing wise. How do I get the lowest gearing with a double chainset that works with brifters? Planning on using cable disks.
    to get the lowest gearing, you'll use a mtn bike crankset, mtn bike rear mech and mtn bike cassette. if using Shimano, you'll need a Wolftooth "Tanpan" to make the road brifters operate the mech. you can google and/or search this thread for those terms.
    In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

mtbr member

Fargo MTB

I've been riding my Fargo on singletrack a bit lately and I love it more and more. It's just a really fun mountain bike and I'm actually enjoying using the Woodchippers.

You guys discussing the Woodchipper vs. Cowchipper is making me want to try the CC. I adjusted the reach and level of the levers to optimize for the drops, and only use the top of the bar when climbing or going really slow. Definitely a compromise, but I'm okay with it for now.

I installed an old Reba I had laying around that had a shorter steerer tube than the steel fork. I had to use a higher rise stem to get the drops up to around saddle level. The WTB i29 Asym rims with Maxxis Forekaster 2.3 tubeless tires are awesome. Tons of grip and feel solid.

The Salsa Fargo Thread-rockymounts.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Just picked up a new Fargo a couple weeks ago. Re-laced the rims with Stans Flow MK3s wrapped in Ikon 2.35's, swapped out the cassette for a Box components 11-46, and switched the front ring to a 28t. I never thought I'd own a bike like this but I love the adventures that can be had. Pic below is from the first real ride, about 45 miles of old double track with some pavement thrown in for good measure.

The Salsa Fargo Thread-file_000-29-.jpg

mtbr member
    I've tried several shops and cant for the life of me find either a steel or Ti fargo frameset +/- fork in medium anywhere. If anyone has any leads, I am all ears, please shoot me a PM. I just broke my old (non-Fargo) frame and need a new one ASAP. None of my local Salsa dealers are saying that they are able to order me one in time. I need a new one this month if possible for some Springtime bikepack races I have planned.

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Couloirman View Post
    I've tried several shops and cant for the life of me find either a steel or Ti fargo frameset +/- fork in medium anywhere. If anyone has any leads, I am all ears, please shoot me a PM. I just broke my old (non-Fargo) frame and need a new one ASAP. None of my local Salsa dealers are saying that they are able to order me one in time. I need a new one this month if possible for some Springtime bikepack races I have planned.
    You try eBay by chance? Or you could look into another drop bar style bike: velo orange piolet, crust bikes, etc... I know they aren't fargos, but better than nothing. Crust bikes people are big into bikepacking fwiw. good luck and hope you find a speedy solution.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cackalacky View Post
    I've been riding my Fargo on singletrack a bit lately and I love it more and more.
    that is a really cool pic! it's as if your Fargo is screaming "i'm the king of the world!"
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post

The Cowchipper solves all those issues. Yes, it has a bit deeper drop, but as you say, a stem swap can get you in a "drop" position that works better, if you need that. I did not.
    Thanks G-Ted. It sounds like the Cowchippers might be the better choice for what I intend to do with this bike.

I think maybe I see the benefit of the Woodchipper for singletrack riding of you literally only ever use the drops, but I've got other mountain bikes for that type of riding.

Also, is anyone else excited about recently announced 29x2.8" tires from Terrene? I know there are other smaller plus tires that probably measure to around 2.8", but I need a tough casing for my lava rock infested trails. I want to dangle my feet in the plus tire pool, but these should work fine on my i29 rims without chain rub from my 2x10.

Harmonius Wrench
    Also, is anyone else excited about recently announced 29x2.8" tires from Terrene? I know there are other smaller plus tires that probably measure to around 2.8", but I need a tough casing for my lava rock infested trails. I want to dangle my feet in the plus tire pool, but these should work fine on my i29 rims without chain rub from my 2x10.
    I am, for one. Not for a Fargo though. I have 2.8"ers but they are 27.5" tires on my "Fat Fargo", which is a great set up for certain things.

I'll be looking in to this new Terrene tire for a Singular Buzzard I have.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Just out of curiosity, that's with the 3.0 Rangers or the 2.8?
    The 29+ Rangers are only available in 3.0". Currently....

Also, is anyone else excited about recently announced 29x2.8" tires from Terrene? I know there are other smaller plus tires that probably measure to around 2.8", but I need a tough casing for my lava rock infested trails.
    I'm excited. They look sweet. Though I've been running Rangers lately on both my 27.5+ and 29+ rigs and they leave little to be desired. While the "Light and Fast" version may not stand up to sustained lava rock bashing, I've actually been pretty impressed at how durable they are on northern Rockies granite/shale and the usual southern Utah smorgasbord of pokey nastiness.
    "I've been mt biking for 25 years and I don't plan on ever getting a MOPED"
    - Mt Biker E

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevrider View Post
    that is a really cool pic! it's as if your Fargo is screaming "i'm the king of the world!"
    Thanks! Just a quick pic on my roof rack. This bike is a keeper.
    Last edited by cackalacky; 05-15-2017 at 05:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I made it 88 miles on my Fargo before breaking my first derailleur hanger. Not terribly expensive given I have to replace the whole dropout, but after removing it and inspecting it, it doesn't look like the most durable piece of hardware. My plan for the bike was to be able to take long rides with occasional single track mixed in. Anyone have any impressions of the alternator dropouts and whether they are up to the task?

On the plus side, I think the derailleur itself survived just fine (to be confirmed once I fix the bike and ride it again), so the hanger did it's job and provided a breaking point. With the sliding mount, I was able to resize my chain for a middle gear, tension the chain, and single-speed it home without any issues. So, despite breaking, it didn't leave me stranded calling for a ride, which is always a plus.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeR91 View Post
    I made it 88 miles on my Fargo before breaking my first derailleur hanger. Not terribly expensive given I have to replace the whole dropout, but after removing it and inspecting it, it doesn't look like the most durable piece of hardware. My plan for the bike was to be able to take long rides with occasional single track mixed in. Anyone have any impressions of the alternator dropouts and whether they are up to the task?

On the plus side, I think the derailleur itself survived just fine (to be confirmed once I fix the bike and ride it again), so the hanger did it's job and provided a breaking point. With the sliding mount, I was able to resize my chain for a middle gear, tension the chain, and single-speed it home without any issues. So, despite breaking, it didn't leave me stranded calling for a ride, which is always a plus.
    Bummer about the hanger. I have 3000 miles on mine without issue. Mixed dirt and road.

Also, I just made the switch to cowchippers and am really happy. I haven't tried them on a single track yet though. I also switch the BB7s to TRP Spyre. Mucho mejor!
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2016 Salsa Pony Rustler
    2014 Salsa Fargo
    Chips

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I made it 88 miles on my Fargo before breaking my first derailleur hanger.
    The hanger broke? I had the cage separate from the rest of the derailleur. The shop thought I must have damaged it so I had to a buy a new derailleur.
    This year my wife and my friend both got Fargo's and had the same thing happen. Mine was a 2015 and theirs were 2016's. One thing I discovered is that the RD was an older version.

All of these incidents happened with 2-300 miles on them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yeah, the hanger bent so that the derailleur was back in the wheel (luckily, no signs of spoke damage) and when I tugged it to clear the wheel, it snapped. Pictures attached. (Please excuse the mud - they are building bridges over some drainage, but they aren't done yet, hard to ride through without picking some up.) Derailleur seems Ok, but could be bent a bit. I'll know more in a couple days when I get my hands on a new dropout.

Grizzler - Interesting about the brakes. My initial impression was that the brakes were a bit weak, but I have BB7s on my fatbike and they have always worked well. I haven't really investigated what the differences are (aside from the obvious brake levers) between the setups on the two bikes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Salsa Fargo Thread-img_20170516_190015.jpg  

The Salsa Fargo Thread-img_20170516_200659.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I'm looking for suggestions (pictures?) of front racks for the Fargo. I have a '17 with steel fork running 29x2.4s now, soon 27.5x3s. Prefer non low riders. I live pretty remotely (interior Alaska) making it hard to get my hands on actual products and shipping is expensive. I think the Velo Orange Randonneur and Surly 8/24 Pack would work. Maybe?
    Let me know what has worked well!

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Grizzler, what rack is that? Did you have to drill into the fork to make it work?

mtbr member
    Yeah, the hanger bent so that the derailleur was back in the wheel (luckily, no signs of spoke damage) and when I tugged it to clear the wheel, it snapped. Pictures attached. (Please excuse the mud - they are building bridges over some drainage, but they aren't done yet, hard to ride through without picking some up.) Derailleur seems Ok, but could be bent a bit. I'll know more in a couple days when I get my hands on a new dropout.

Grizzler - Interesting about the brakes. My initial impression was that the brakes were a bit weak, but I have BB7s on my fatbike and they have always worked well. I haven't really investigated what the differences are (aside from the obvious brake levers) between the setups on the two bikes.
    I found the MTB BB7 to be plenty powerful, but for some reason I just couldn't get the road version to be great.
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2016 Salsa Pony Rustler
    2014 Salsa Fargo
    Chips

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzler View Post
    I found the MTB BB7 to be plenty powerful, but for some reason I just couldn't get the road version to be great.
    It's a (incorrectly mounted) Surly 8-pack. I don't recommend it unless you want to custom fabricate a mounting bracket or add some crown braze-ons. I did not drill the fork, I just used the mid-blade mounts and the top cage mounts. I am waiting for a friend to make a me a block.
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2016 Salsa Pony Rustler
    2014 Salsa Fargo
    Chips

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by wildernessness View Post
    I'm looking for suggestions (pictures?) of front racks for the Fargo. I have a '17 with steel fork running 29x2.4s now, soon 27.5x3s. Prefer non low riders. I live pretty remotely (interior Alaska) making it hard to get my hands on actual products and shipping is expensive. I think the Velo Orange Randonneur and Surly 8/24 Pack would work. Maybe?
    Hey! Fellow Alaskan with a Fargo here,
    I have the Surly Front Rack. Mounted as high as it will go, it clears 29x2.35 Super Motos, but not by much.

I got it thinking I could strap a dry bag on top, or panniers on the sides depending on where I am going and how much I am taking.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by wildernessness View Post
    I have a Racktime Toppit on my '17 fargo which work pretty well. I think when I measured it it had 4" of space between the rack arms. I don't think there would be any problems with 3" tires. In fact, I'm sure 29x3" tires would be fine. It has a decent sized deck and can support panniers.

I do lament the fact that the rack arms interfere with the ability to mount things to the bottle mounts. I've seen pictures of older Fargos where the 3-pack mounts are to the rear of the fork, allowing people to use a rack and anything cages. That would be nice, but I ordered some 5L panniers from Alpkit to experiment with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I swapped out the wheels and tires on my 2017 GX, and I thought I'd share where I ended up.

It came with WTB 23mm rims and 29 x 2.25" Rocket Rons. It took me a few minutes to hate those tires, and they only made it through one ride before I replaced them with some 45c WTB Riddlers. Also set the Riddlers up tubeless when I made the change. I don't have any real complaints with the Riddlers - in fact, I would probably recommend them if they suit where you are riding. They are smooth, quiet, and have a fair amount of grip. I put about 150 miles on them - mix of pavement, gravel roads and singletrack, and my only complaints were the way they handled in mud, and the lack of cushioning. Of course, neither of these are faults with the Riddler. There isn't a lot of volume for cushioning, and mud is mud.

While I was riding with the Riddlers, I was also having some wheels built with 40mm rims. I received those yesterday, and put Surly Extraterrestrial tires on them (29 x 2.5"), tubeless again. I had time to get in a quick ride last night (5 or 6 miles, pavement and gravel paths), and built up enough confidence to take them on a longer ride this morning, and I'm pretty impressed. They are heavier tires (the combo of rim and tire added about 400 - 500 grams when compared to the original rims and Riddlers), but they roll really well. There is plenty of clearance for them, as Salsa says there should be.

To do some side by side comparisons, my route this morning was one that I rode last weekend on the other tires. It's actually the course from a gravel grinder, so I raced it in April on my Ice Cream Truck, which, it turns out, is slower than the Fargo. It's mostly dirt roads, some seasonal use only, some pavement mixed in, and roughly 32 miles and about 3200 vertical feet. It's a good combination of things to compare. The Fargo is a great bike for this type of riding. I would say that riding this morning, I really didn't feel any downsides from the extra tire weight. I'm sure it was there, but with the faster rolling tread pattern on the ETs, I think it effectively balanced out, at least for what I want to get out of the a bike ride. With the ETs around 30PSI, they also had a fair amount of cushion, and they absorbed some of the rough terrain better. On hard packed dirt, they handled it like pavement. Fast and smooth. As it got looser, they got a bit sketchier. If you look at the tread pattern, that is probably to be expected. A few times I felt the rear tire spin on a climb where I know the Riddlers didn't. There are a few really rough downhills, and I would say the same thing, except with the extra cushion, they absorbed some of the bumps better, providing a little more confidence. Not sure they would do as well with emergency braking, but I think they allowed me to carry more speed because they felt more planted.

I hope someone found that interesting. Next weekend is the Black Fly Challenge, the first race I'll be doing on the Fargo. The surface is mostly either hardpack or sandy, with pavement near the start and finish. I'll probably use the ETs because I'd like to see how they do in the sandier conditions.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks to everyone in the this thread that have shared their stories and builds! Last fall I decided to merge my Fargo and Vaya into one bike and purchased a Cutthroat. Now I've finally put my Fargo up for sale. It's not in the mtbr classifieds yet but it's on my local cl here in vt.
    Here's the link: https://vermont.craigslist.org/bik/6160643930.html

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Found this thread upon researching about the Fargo, from looking at other alternatives, which are few, I took up an offer from the LBS for a discounted price on an ex display 2016 Fargo frameset. Riding my 700c x 42 drop bar Cotic Escapade opened me up to gravel riding, but felt a little under equipped for some of the trails ive taken it. I'll be building the Fargo with parts to hand, including having a go at building some 29er wheels with the hope pro2 hubs I have.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Fell_monkey View Post
    Found this thread upon researching about the Fargo, from looking at other alternatives, which are few, I took up an offer from the LBS for a discounted price on an ex display 2016 Fargo frameset. Riding my 700c x 42 drop bar Cotic Escapade opened me up to gravel riding, but felt a little under equipped for some of the trails ive taken it. I'll be building the Fargo with parts to hand, including having a go at building some 29er wheels with the hope pro2 hubs I have.

Welcome! Hopefully you will enjoy being a Fargonaut. Here's the current state of the Fargo that started this thread. Still running strong after all these years and adventures. This from my recent century in the Flint Hills of Kansas. The Salsa Fargo Thread-p6020137.jpg
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Did I count six water bottles? Love it!

What kind of tire. I can make out WTB, but which one size, please? Thanks.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Franksj View Post
    Did I count six water bottles? Love it!

What kind of tire. I can make out WTB, but which one size, please? Thanks.
    Uhh......that would be seven! Using a Wolf Tooth B Rad with Double Bottle Adapter on the upper most set of bosses on the down tube.

Those are actually Terrene Honali tires. They are very nice riding tires and tough, so far.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I have a Salsa Fargo GX 2017 and it already got a few scratches on the frame. Is there a risk they over time will damage the frame and should I cover them with touch up paint ?

Get on your bike and ride
    No worries until the scratches get all the way through the paint, but I like applying clear coat to scratches as they develop. Better safe than wishing you had done some simple maintenance.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Thanks. What size?

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Franksj View Post
    Thanks. What size?
    The tires? 700 X 50mm.They will be available soon. These are a set I was forwarded to test for RidingGravel.com
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    ok, I'm sold at the +hype except for mud clearance.

Really looking forward to the Terrence tires and will try them asap.

Also been thinking about a regular 29" wheelset with DT hubs and some lighter rims. Any suggestions for rims? I would like them remain somewhat round even if I take them on an adventure. Most likely to be used for lighter graveltouring and occasional singletrack.

Anyone else tried 29+ on their Fargo yet?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Im also interested in the rim choice for gravel/ light singletrack and thinking of running as big 29'ers I can get in my 2016 frameset, which im collecting next week.

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The tires? 700 X 50mm.They will be available soon. These are a set I was forwarded to test for RidingGravel.com
    Do you think they would be OK on 36mm internal width rims?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Any suggestions for rims? I would like them remain somewhat round even if I take them on an adventure. Most likely to be used for lighter graveltouring and occasional singletrack.

Anyone else tried 29+ on their Fargo yet?

Look at the WTB Asym i35 rims. Unless you're railing berms with really low pressure, they are wide enough for 3" tires. I think they're the perfect size for the 2.6" and 2.8" tires that are coming out. The eyelet spokes allow them to take some pretty high spoke tension, and the asymmetrical design brings the tension up on the drive side making them stronger. The i35 is also a lot cheaper and lighter than something like the WTB scraper.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Look at the WTB Asym i35 rims. Unless you're railing berms with really low pressure, they are wide enough for 3" tires. I think they're the perfect size for the 2.6" and 2.8" tires that are coming out. The eyelet spokes allow them to take some pretty high spoke tension, and the asymmetrical design brings the tension up on the drive side making them stronger. The i35 is also a lot cheaper and lighter than something like the WTB scraper.
    Would they really be better for normal 29er tyres than my Easton Arc40?

Could of course rebuild my existing wheels with the WTB ones to be able to run 2.4 to 3.0 but then I'm still stuck with one set of wheels.

Maybe I should build with WTB asym 30 and use my arcs for 2.8-3.0?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Would they really be better for normal 29er tyres than my Easton Arc40?

Could of course rebuild my existing wheels with the WTB ones to be able to run 2.4 to 3.0 but then I'm still stuck with one set of wheels.

Maybe I should build with WTB asym 30 and use my arcs for 2.8-3.0?
    So you asked for suggestions on rims, but you already have ARC 40 x 29 ? Or are the ARC40 your 27.5 wheels?

Your ideal rim, or in this diverse use case, your least-un-ideal rim, will depend on the range of tires you intend to use. If you ever want to ride 1.6-1.75 tires (on a pavement tour, for example) then staying a bit smaller like a WTB Asym i29 would fit those tires safely, while still fitting ~2.5 perfectly and 3.0 functionally. The i35 are good rims, but going that wide is going to create more problems on the ~1.6" side than a 29mm rim will create on the 3" side.

The primary consequence of putting 3" tires on a 30mm rim is loss of sidewall support, which can be a big consequence for railing turns on singletrack, but thats going to be a rare or infrequent use case on a Fargo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The eyelet spokes allow them to take some pretty high spoke tension, and the asymmetrical design brings the tension up on the drive side making them stronger.
    I think you meant NON drive side.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    So you asked for suggestions on rims, but you already have ARC 40 x 29 ? Or are the ARC40 your 27.5 wheels?
    I already got arc 40 for my 29+ duties but would like to run more aggressive regular tires due to tight clearance on the 29+. Right now I've got the WTB Rangers 3.0 (29+) mounted on my arcs. Mud clearance is pretty bad and my chain almost got caught in the mud when I was on small ring front.

I got my eyes on Terrene 2.8 tyres which is both more aggressive and a tad smaller than my Rangers. Rangers are perfect for gravel/forest roads here in Sweden. But as soon as I hit some trails with mud on things are getting nasty.

So, I thought I should get a regular 29er wheelset with maybe 25-30id rims for mud season. Get the Terrene tires and run them in the wetter part of the year and run Rangers in the dry summer.

Am I making any sense or does it just sound like an excuse to build more wheels?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    If you've already got 29x40 wheels than I personally wouldn't bother building 29x35 wheels, they aren't that different, so aren't much of a complement. If the primary tires you're wanting to roll are 29x2.8 then the 40mm Arcs will be fine for them. LOTS of 27.5+ bikes ship w/ 40mm rims and 2.8 tires stock.

If you wanted to run 2.1-ish tires, then I would consider a set of 25-30mm rim wheels for that duty. But if its 2.8 you're "worried" about, just mount them on your current 40mm Arcs.

I'm waiting on the Terrene McFly 29x2.8 myself, for my Timberjack.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    If you've already got 29x40 wheels than I personally wouldn't bother building 29x35 wheels, they aren't that different, so aren't much of a complement. If the primary tires you're wanting to roll are 29x2.8 then the 40mm Arcs will be fine for them. LOTS of 27.5+ bikes ship w/ 40mm rims and 2.8 tires stock.

If you wanted to run 2.1-ish tires, then I would consider a set of 25-30mm rim wheels for that duty. But if its 2.8 you're "worried" about, just mount them on your current 40mm Arcs.

I'm waiting on the Terrene McFly 28x2.8 myself, for my Timberjack.
    Nah, I got a roadbike for my skinny tires

The McFly seems like a really nice one. Happy to find a dealer in Finland as well. Thanks for the help!

Am I making any sense or does it just sound like an excuse to build more wheels?
    Don't need an excuse, just build wheels. If you end up with spares I'll take'em.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by arc View Post
    Do you think they would be OK on 36mm internal width rims?
    That's a bit wide, in my opinion. That would flatten out the crown of the tire enough that you'd end up running a lot of the face of the tread on the terrain you are riding on, square off the tire profile, making it corner strangely, and would expose the sidewalls to more potential damage. It could "work", and certainly, it could be done, but it isn't what I would term an ideal internal rim width for a 50mm tire. I would ideally want to be in the 23mm-25mm area myself and I would entertain going up to 30mm. That's my opinion on inner rim width for the Honali.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    That's a bit wide, in my opinion. That would flatten out the crown of the tire enough that you'd end up running a lot of the face of the tread on the terrain you are riding on, square off the tire profile, making it corner strangely, and would expose the sidewalls to more potential damage. It could "work", and certainly, it could be done, but it isn't what I would term an ideal internal rim width for a 50mm tire. I would ideally want to be in the 23mm-25mm area myself and I would entertain going up to 30mm. That's my opinion on inner rim width for the Honali.
    That's what I was suspecting. The Schwalbe G One Speed's have a nice rounded profile and ride really smooth on those rims. I'm looking for more cornering bite on the front in the looser stuff without giving up too much pavement grip. Its down to 2.35 Mezcals, Teravail Cumberlands or maybe 2.35 Rock Razors.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by arc View Post
    The Schwalbe G One Speed's have a nice rounded profile and ride really smooth on those rims.
    I am pretty sure I want these for when my super motos wear out, but have not seen them for sale anywhere. Do you know anyone who has used them?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Collected my Fargo frameset thismorning, looking forward to getting it built up, which will consist of:

Bars: Salsa Cowchipper
    Levers: Shimano Sora 3*9 & Cane Creek cross top
    Hubs: Hope Pro2
    Rims: Easton Arc 27
    Spokes: DT competition
    Cranks: Raceface XC
    Pedals: Shimano SPD
    Rear Mech: Shimano XT
    Front Mech: ? Looking for advice for a top pull triple mech compatible with lever?
    Brakes: TRP Spyre
    Seat post: Thomson
    Stem: Thomson if I can get the right size, if not maybe an Easton.
    Tyres: Possibly Conti X King (looking for something fast rolling for mixed terrain)

IMG_4372 by John Rowlands, on Flickr

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    They're still hard to find in North America, the Schwalbe Big One is easier to find. It looks almost identical in pictures but does not come in snakeskin so its probably pretty fragile. The tire is still pretty new in North America so there's not many reviews yet.

Have you looked at the Surly Extraterrestrial?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    After failure trying to find a brifter compatible triple top pull front derailleur I have resigned to running 2*9 with a shimano CX top pull front derailleur, But will need to get a clamp on cable stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Fell_monkey View Post
    After failure trying to find a brifter compatible triple top pull front derailleur I have resigned to running 2*9 with a shimano CX top pull front derailleur, But will need to get a clamp on cable stop.
    Have you looked at Jtek shiftmates? Shiftmate Compatibility Charts and Choices - Jtek Engineering

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Just bought my Fargo this month (The GX version -- Green as on the website); I noticed the rear dropout/caliper setup seems different than most other Salsa bikes, with the caliper mounted behind the dropout. Was curious if anyone had insight regarding how I can mount a Tubus Cosmo rear rack and Cascadia fender with this setup. Do I need to move the caliper or purchase some attachments/modification parts? Doesn't seem like it will fit as-is. On the other hand, my wife's Vaya has the caliper mounted on the frame in front of the dropouts and two easily accessible mounting points behind the dropouts which seem easy to work with.

Full disclosure, I'm totally new to the bike world, so if this is a stupid question, apologies in advance!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by FargoGX View Post
    Just bought my Fargo this month (The GX version -- Green as on the website); I noticed the rear dropout/caliper setup seems different than most other Salsa bikes, with the caliper mounted behind the dropout. Was curious if anyone had insight regarding how I can mount a Tubus Cosmo rear rack and Cascadia fender with this setup. Do I need to move the caliper or purchase some attachments/modification parts? Doesn't seem like it will fit as-is. On the other hand, my wife's Vaya has the caliper mounted on the frame in front of the dropouts and two easily accessible mounting points behind the dropouts which seem easy to work with.

Full disclosure, I'm totally new to the bike world, so if this is a stupid question, apologies in advance!
    Salsa's Alternator dropouts are designed to work with Salsa Alternator racks. I believe I've seen people on this site rig up other racks to these dropouts. You can try buying just the alternator rack hardware kit, which includes the spacers and bolts, and figure it out with your existing rack.
    2003 Kona A
    2005 Kona A
    2012 Cannondale Hooligan
    2016 Salsa Deadwood

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    To run fenders you would need the replacement dropouts. Or, put them on the same bolt as the rack.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by buell View Post
    Salsa's Alternator dropouts are designed to work with Salsa Alternator racks. I believe I've seen people on this site rig up other racks to these dropouts. You can try buying just the alternator rack hardware kit, which includes the spacers and bolts, and figure it out with your existing rack.
    Quote Originally Posted by samwe View Post
    To run fenders you would need the replacement dropouts. Or, put them on the same bolt as the rack.
    Which dropouts do I need? Do I need the hardware kit mentioned above as well? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by FargoGX View Post
    Which dropouts do I need? Do I need the hardware kit mentioned above as well? Thanks!
    I am not sure what changed for the 2017s, but for my 2015 this is what I used: Alternator Q/R Fender Mount Plates | Salsa Cycles

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Also, I used the Cascadias on my bike and they work great, but I found out they also make an aluminum version.
    Cascadia ALX 29 Medium
    I have them on my Fargo covering up some 29x2.35 Super Motos and have no complaints.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by samwe View Post
    Also, I used the Cascadias on my bike and they work great, but I found out they also make an aluminum version.
    Cascadia ALX 29 Medium
    I have them on my Fargo covering up some 29x2.35 Super Motos and have no complaints.
    Would I mount the Cosmo rack to the fender mount point as well? Or is there a different setup for that? Appreciate the input.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    In other words, which bolt makes a good mount point for the rack with that doggone caliper in the way?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Well, the Salsa rack mount to the upper bolt (pivot) of the dropouts.
    If mounting another rack i would use some spacers and a long bolt to mount it there. (That is what Salsa has you do with their rack).
    I did that and bolted my fender stays to the same place until I finally gave in and bought the modified dropouts.

Looking at this you can see where the rack mounts and why it needs spacers, and where the fender stays mount if you get the differnet dropouts.
    Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    My '17 Fargo came with the dropouts with the fender mount. Doublecheck before you order those replacements.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Anybody running a suspension fork on their 2017 27.5 plus Fargo? I'm curios what fork might work with the stock 27.5x3 tire and 100mm axle. I don't want to build a new "boost" front wheel in order to run a suspension fork if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 2
    Cannondale CAAD12
    Niner RLT9
    Salsa Fargo 27.5+
    2018 Niner SIR9 27.5+

mtbr member
    This thread has been a wealth of info, didn't read the full 57 pages but pretty close. So I am coming strictly from mountain bike land and want a gravel bike for two things. First as a bike to launch some big rides right out my back door that are gravel roads but, they are Sierra Nevada gravel roads, i.e. as gnarly as gravel roads get. And second, I'm not a racer but I'm very intrigued by the Grinduro event in nearby Quincy, CA and plan to race it next year. So, after much debate between the Warbird and the Fargo, I'm going into the Fargo camp because it simply fits my everyday needs more (I don't plan on using this bike for any other "gravel" events or any event for that matter, not much of an event guy but the Grinduro is rad).

The moral of this whole rant is do you folks have any suggestions to drop some weight on the 2017 gx for the Grinduro event? I'm obviously going tubeless but any tire suggestions in the 2.0-2.1 range?
    Thanks!
    "9 mile skid on a 10 mile ride, hot as a pistol, but cool inside"

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    2017-07-09 14.33.36 by John Rowlands, on Flickr

Loving the Fargo, feels a different ride altogether, cross between a modern slack mountain bike and my escapade, which I guess is exactly what it is. The cowchippers are great for the riding I'll do on it, in hindsight the cross top levers are a little unnecessary as I spend more time on the drops as apposed to all on the hoods. Have some conti race king 2.2's on order, much more suited to the riding i'll be using it for mostly. Cant wait to get myself a bit fitter and used to the bike and head into the depths of the Scottish countryside.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Hi to everybody, I'm new here and live in Germany next to the black forest.
    I bought a Fargo rival today :-) I'm very happy but must wait for about one week to get it by mail...
    I would like to have a second pair of wheels next to the 27.5er. I also would like to have some 29er. After reading here I am thinking of buying some 30 rims so I can ride 1,90 up to 2,5. Is that right? Which rims and hubs would you buy? I don't want to spend too much money...

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    My '17 Fargo came with the dropouts with the fender mount. Doublecheck before you order those replacements.
    I checked one out my LBS and that was the case. Nice of Salsa to do that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan UL View Post
    Hi to everybody, I'm new here and live in Germany next to the black forest.
    I bought a Fargo rival today :-) I'm very happy but must wait for about one week to get it by mail...
    I would like to have a second pair of wheels next to the 27.5er. I also would like to have some 29er. After reading here I am thinking of buying some 30 rims so I can ride 1,90 up to 2,5. Is that right? Which rims and hubs would you buy? I don't want to spend too much money...
    I have 35 mm Velocity Blunts on my Krampus. Tires are 2.4" in the front, 2.25" on the rear. I don't know if you can get them for a good price where you live, but I bought them because they were less expensive than Rabbit Holes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Thanks Muirenn. I could buy those velocity rims here. Maybe I'll choose DT Swiss rims, I don't know yet.

What about the boost standard? I could buy the alternator reduction plate and buy some 142mm hubs. Or would you buy 148mm?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by AVLthumper View Post
    Anybody running a suspension fork on their 2017 27.5 plus Fargo? I'm curios what fork might work with the stock 27.5x3 tire and 100mm axle. I don't want to build a new "boost" front wheel in order to run a suspension fork if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've heard reports of newer fox 34 forks fitting 3" tires, but I don't think you can get them in less then 120mm of travel. Really, the only 100mm travel fork I've seen that will for a plus tire is the rockshox reba boost. There may be others that I'm not aware of though.

mtbr member

11 speed shifters

What are people using for 11 speed bar end shifters? My 2009 fargo is just sitting there, neglected, dusty. I have a 2x 11 speed crank and 11-42 xt cassette ready to use. I am worried my barend shifters could have problems with 11 speeds, as the cassette is just a hair wider than the old 9 speed stuff.

Has anyone tried the Nobby Nick 29 x 2.6 on a v1 2009 fargo? My rims are i25 stans flow.

New tire day. Kenda Happy Medium Pros for Gravel Worlds (half). They're a lot faster than I am.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Interesting thread. I've been reading it for a while, but have now decided to join.

I'm retiring my 2012 Salsa Fargo for the new Ti 2017. Just picked up the frame set (medium) and have sent it out to add S&S couplers. Both my Vaya and Salsa have them. I find it makes traveling by plane easier.

So, I am planning on building this new bike up and am soliciting opinions. Assume no money limits - just the best components. Here is what I've specced out so far:

Stem - Zipp carbon fiber
    Handlebar - Woodchipper
    Fork Cages - Salsa anything cages
    Wheel set - must have SON as front hub, rear hub DT Swiss and rims Industry nine
    Skewers - Salsa Ti
    Headset - Crane Creek 110
    Seat Post - Crane Creek Thudbuster LT (like these - must have)
    Seat - ISM Adamo PM 2.0 (love ism seats - must have)
    Drive - SRAM X0 (BB, Crankset, Deraileurs, Cassette (XG-1080), Disc rotors (centerline))
    Chain - SMC X11
    Brakes - Avid BB7
    Shifters - SRAM Force
    Pedals - Shimano M9020
    Tires - Racing Ralphs (tubeless)

I plan on using this bike for mostly long distance trails and off-road. For instance, my current Fargo has done the divide (for one). And, this bike will most likely be first used to do the Munda Biddi in Australia.

Let the opinions begin, and thanks for any input...

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    sounds like you should make a dedicated thread

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Pauls Klampers instead of BB7s, a step up in feel and power

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Rigid Fork for Ti Fargo

After any thoughts on changing my forks....

I have a 2012 (I think) Ti Fargo frame with these (Niner Carbon Rigid 29" Fork > Components > Forks & Suspension > Rigid Mountain Forks | Jenson USA) Niner carbon forks (I bought both second hand). I also have a 2012 (Gen 2) Steel Fargo with original steel forks. I've never liked the feeling from the front end/forks on the Ti Fargo. Difficult for me to describe.. feels as if they are too light/put the wheel too far out front/are too stiff. The steel Fargo front end feels much more sure footed, such that I don't really notice any issues. Set up in terms of contact points etc are pretty much identical on both.

Any users found similar with carbon forks/these Niner forks? Any advice or thoughts on changing? Thing is I really like the Ti Fargo otherwise, use it as my main road bike with a bit of light gravel. I would consider switching the fork out for a steel Fargo fork (CroMoto Grande 29er | Salsa Cycles ) ? I think , wouldn't mind the weight penalty too much as it is currently 9.2kg as shown. I use the steel Fargo most days for my commute so don't want to start messing around switching forks as a trial without hearing any advice first.

The Salsa Fargo Thread-fargo-ti.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by LyleS View Post
    After any thoughts on changing my forks....

I have a 2012 (I think) Ti Fargo frame with these (Niner Carbon Rigid 29" Fork > Components > Forks & Suspension > Rigid Mountain Forks | Jenson USA) Niner carbon forks (I bought both second hand). I also have a 2012 (Gen 2) Steel Fargo with original steel forks. I've never liked the feeling from the front end/forks on the Ti Fargo. Difficult for me to describe.. feels as if they are too light/put the wheel too far out front/are too stiff. The steel Fargo front end feels much more sure footed, such that I don't really notice any issues. Set up in terms of contact points etc are pretty much identical on both.

Any users found similar with carbon forks/these Niner forks? Any advice or thoughts on changing? Thing is I really like the Ti Fargo otherwise, use it as my main road bike with a bit of light gravel. I would consider switching the fork out for a steel Fargo fork (CroMoto Grande 29er | Salsa Cycles ) ? I think , wouldn't mind the weight penalty too much as it is currently 9.2kg as shown. I use the steel Fargo most days for my commute so don't want to start messing around switching forks as a trial without hearing any advice first.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fargo Ti.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	147.9 KB 
ID:	1152426
    Started new thread for this so ignore here. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I swapped out the wheels and tires on my 2017 GX, and I thought I'd share where I ended up.

It came with WTB 23mm rims and 29 x 2.25" Rons....

I was also having some wheels built with 40mm rims. I received those yesterday, and put Surly Extraterrestrial tires on them (29 x 2.5")... There is plenty of clearance for them, as Salsa says there should be.
    Nice ride!

I'm seriously considering a gx Fargo, but don't have any local to see in person, hoping you can answer something for me.

I know the ET's are only 2.5", but do you think the 2x10 would clear a 29x3?
    Or does the rival 27.5+ come with a 1x because that's the only way to clear the plus sized tires?
    Your setup is the closest I've seen to a '17 with 29+

I found lots of people in this thread trying to jam big tires on the older models, and ever since the '17s with the big clearance came out I haven't been able to find anyone testing clearance.

I'm on the fence between a gx and a frame up build, if a gx needs new wheels built with boost hubs and wider hoops, and something like a surly OD crank to clear a 2x10, half the bike ends up being replaced to run 29+

Anyone out there tested the big rubber on the 17s yet?

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Broke View Post
    Nice ride!

I'm seriously considering a gx Fargo, but don't have any local to see in person, hoping you can answer something for me.

Or does the rival 27.5+ come with a 1x because that's the only way to clear the plus sized tires?

I found lots of people in this thread trying to jam big tires on the older models, and ever since the '17s with the big clearance came out I haven't been able to find anyone testing clearance.

I'm on the fence between a gx and a frame up build, if a gx needs new wheels built with boost hubs and wider hoops, and something like a surly OD crank to clear a 2x10, half the bike ends up being replaced to run 29+

I'm rolling on 29x3 Rangers. Clearance could be better, thinking about getting the Terrene McFly 29x2.8 to get a bit better on that front. For gravel and the likes it's very nice. As soon as I hit some mud it's pretty bad

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I've been reading mtbr for about 18 years and this thread finally got me to register! (Also makes me feel old....)

That should put in perspective how stoked I am about the Fargo's!

Wasnt it last July that the announcements for the 17 Fargo's were made?

I found a blurb about some of the 18s in the salsa lineup, but not a word anywhere about the Fargo's.

I found a 17gx in XL about 600km away, but I'm not 100% on board with the factory build, wondering what next year will bring.

Anybody know when the official word will come out about next year's Fargo's? Color, spec, price etc?

I would like to see if it's closer to my end goal before a 1200km road trip to test drive/buy a 17 complete, or decide to look for frame to build.

I like the range of the 2x10, but I want the option to try 29+.

On the other hand I'm afraid (for my Visa) that a frame up build would turn into a rohloff purchase. $$$

I always wanted one on my troll, but never got around to it after going for a factory build and didn't feel like tossing half the bike away.

Call me old school, but I like a 3x9, and while I can appreciate the reasoning for going to 2x and 1x, I'm not a fan of giving up the versatility.

The move towards more expensive and more gearing limited 1x drivetrains leaves me thinking this might just be the time to finally justify a rohloff that I've wanted for about 15 years.

I've ever had a drop bar bike, and looking for something between my xc, troll, fatbike, touring all rolled into one. A Fargo with + size clearance seems like just the ticket for back road exploration, and with the new belt drive igh compatible alternators that can still space down to 135 it might just be rohloff time. Never wanted the back heavy feel on a mountain bike, but dedicating a Fargo to xc and on/off road touring, I can't see it being a major problem.

Sorry for rambling, I've been pouring over this thread for days (I'm a terrible over analyzer) and have seriously got Fargo's on the brain these days...

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I'm rolling on 29x3 Rangers. Clearance could be better
    Thanks for the (fast!!) Reply.

I remember seeing your posts about the rangers and 2.8s, I was about to go back and search for your comments...but is yours a 17? What drivetrain are you running? Where is your clearance problem?

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I already got arc 40 for my 29+ duties but would like to run more aggressive regular tires due to tight clearance on the 29+. Right now I've got the WTB Rangers 3.0 (29+) mounted on my arcs. Mud clearance is pretty bad and my chain almost got caught in the mud when I was on small ring front.

I got my eyes on Terrene 2.8 tyres which is both more aggressive and a tad smaller than my Rangers. Rangers are perfect for gravel/forest roads here in Sweden. But as soon as I hit some trails with mud on things are getting nasty.

So, I thought I should get a regular 29er wheelset with maybe 25-30id rims for mud season. Get the Terrene tires and run them in the wetter part of the year and run Rangers in the dry summer.

Maybe I'm missing something but wouldn't a set of surly OD cranks solve your chain clearance problems, and then you could keep your 3"/40mm setup year round, with no reason to downsize, and be cheaper than a second set of wheels and tires?

If you wanted a set of narrow wheels for faster rolling tires, different story. But it sounds like you're only wanting to step down to 2.8s for drivetrain mud clearance? I would think offset double cranks would be a better option.

Like I said - unless I'm missing something?

mtbr member
    Anybody know when the official word will come out about next year's Fargo's? Color, spec, price etc?
    i was chatting with a dealer a few weeks ago, he said that the release date is this month. i'm not positive of the exact date, but sit tight, it won't be long.
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    i was chatting with a dealer a few weeks ago, he said that the release date is this month. i'm not positive of the exact date, but sit tight, it won't be long.
    9-8-17....

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Nice ride!

With my setup, I'm pretty confident I would not have clearance for a 3" tire. I'm using a 40mm rim, so the ETs, even being a 2.5" tire, measure 2.65" at the widest point. l had measured the clearance to the chain, and there was about a tenth of an inch between the tire and chain. The ETs are not a chunky tire, so even though I've gotten them muddy, very little sticks on the sides, so I'm comfortable with that amount of clearance. A knobbier 2.6" tire would probably fit, but I would start to worry about clearance in trails where mud may end up on the tire (and if you're not riding trails, no reason for a knobbier tire, I would think). A tire that truly measured 2.8" at the widest points would clear the chain, but leave no margin. A tire that truly measured 3.0" would not clear my chain in the lowest gears. Of course, if you use a narrower rim or a tire that doesn't measure exactly what it is rated once mounted up, it may fit differently.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    sit tight, it won't be long.
    Quote Originally Posted by agent88 View Post
    9-8-17....

I'm using a 40mm rim, so the ETs, even being a 2.5" tire, measure 2.65" at the widest point. l had measured the clearance to the chain, and there was about a tenth of an inch between the tire and chain...A tire that truly measured 3.0" would not clear my chain in the lowest gears
    Thanks for all the replies guys.
    Looking forward to what the announcements bring for next year.
    I appreciate the replies on the 2x tire clearance.
    How's the actual frame clearance for a true 29x3", aside from drivetrain issues? Sufficient mud clearance provided the chain was out of the way?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks for all the replies guys.
    Looking forward to what the announcements bring for next year.
    I appreciate the replies on the 2x tire clearance.
    How's the actual frame clearance for a true 29x3", aside from drivetrain issues? Sufficient mud clearance provided the chain was out of the way?
    I don't have a 29x3" tire to mount up and test it, but it looks like it should be fine. The dropout allows the wheel to be pushed back, which would be required for a 3" tire, but there seems to be plenty of space, and clearance on the sides doesn't look like it would be an issue.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Right on thanks. That's the most important part. Chain clearance can be dealt with.

I flip flop between preferring my 29r and fat bike for local riding. I'm thinking a plus size might be the best compromise between rolling on the hard pack and cushion and float on the soft and choppy.

Never had a drop bar bike, coming from a free ride/AM/XC background, so I'm hoping I can get along with it. The advantages would be nice for the type of riding I do these days, between the variety of hand positions and cheating a bit of wind now that I live on the prairies.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    The shape of the bars on the Fargo make it easy to go back and forth between them and flat bars on a mountain bike. I find myself constantly riding in the drops just because it feels very familiar (also never owned a drop bar bike prior to the Fargo).

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I jut bought a salsa fargo 27.5 and going to buy a rear rack, there are a few options, anyone know which will fit?

mtbr member
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Why is the Fargo $1000 more than a Timberjack? How is that justified?

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Here are some clearances with Ranger 3.0 on a L Fargo 2017. I'm running 2x10, Sram GX drivetrain. 11-36 rear and 22-38 front.

Chain to tyre clearance is roughly 5mm when on small front and large back, which is why I'm looking for some 2.8 tyres for autumn (mud season here in sweden).

I mainly ride it on gravel though, so have had few issues with the tight clearance.
    The Salsa Fargo Thread-imag0366.jpg
    The Salsa Fargo Thread-imag0367.jpg
    The Salsa Fargo Thread-imag0368.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Here are some clearances with Ranger 3.0 on a L Fargo 2017. I'm running 2x10, Sram GX drivetrain. 11-36 rear and 22-38 front.

Chain to tyre clearance is roughly 5mm when on small front and large back, which is why I'm looking for some 2.8 tyres for autumn (mud season here in sweden).

I mainly ride it on gravel though, so have had few issues with the tight clearance.
    Thanks for the pictures. Can I ask what width rim you are using? Any chance you could measure the actual width of the tire?

mtbr member
    Here are some clearances with Ranger 3.0 on a L Fargo 2017...
    So has anyone actually had success with 29+? I took a look at the 27.5+ in the shop, and figured 29+ would really only work in a few really specific cases.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Thanks for the pictures. Can I ask what width rim you are using? Any chance you could measure the actual width of the tire?
    I'm using a rim with 40mm id, tyre on said rim is 73mm

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    So has anyone actually had success with 29+? I took a look at the 27.5+ in the shop, and figured 29+ would really only work in a few really specific cases.
    Depends on where you ride I would say. For mud and the like I wouldn't recommend 3" tyres. 2.6-2.8 would be a better choice then.

For riding in dry conditions 29+ works perfect. I won't downsize more than trying out Terrene McFly in 2.8. Only for better mud clearance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Chain to tyre clearance is roughly 5mm when on small front and large back...
    Thanks a bunch for the pics, that helps a lot!

Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 7475354555657

Members who have read this thread: 316