Page 5 of 170 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 105 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    So when are the complete bikes arriving? And are they sold out?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

First shipment went to day

Quote Originally Posted by black cross
    So when are the complete bikes arriving? And are they sold out?
    First shipment of pre book complete bikes started shipping today to dealers. We've got some more coming next week, but due to Frostbike, we won't be able to receive them and ship them until after next weekend. Yeah, that stinks.

Frames: We shipped some of those too. A LOT more frames coming and due in 3 to 4 weeks.

Sold out, I'll check tomorrow, but I know Medium Complete bikes are sold out and I thin the Larges are too, but I can't remember what is coming on next weeks shipment.

Sorry I don't have the exact specifics.

Jason
    Salsa Crew
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My website: Gnat Likes - Bicycles - Photography - Adventure - People
    Disclaimer: I work for Salsa Cycles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GnatBikes
    First shipment of pre book complete bikes started shipping today to dealers. We've got some more coming next week, but due to Frostbike, we won't be able to receive them and ship them until after next weekend. Yeah, that stinks.

Frames: We shipped some of those too. A LOT more frames coming and due in 3 to 4 weeks.

Sold out, I'll check tomorrow, but I know Medium Complete bikes are sold out and I thin the Larges are too, but I can't remember what is coming on next weeks shipment.

Sorry I don't have the exact specifics.

Jason
    Salsa Crew
    So when you say that frames went out, did that include a medium on its way to Alaska?
    Last edited by hooker_47; 02-15-2009 at 11:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I got the frame the first week of November, originally set up with 42mm tires, fenders, and racks. I moved a block from work/school so I took the fenders and rack off for now. I'm running Crossmarks now too. And I switched from bar-ends to 10 speed campy centuar shifters. I've only had time to do a little trail riding, but I've loved it on everything so far. Sorry for the low pic quality, no digital camera..

Keep on Rockin...

Head tube help....

I have never seen a dirt-drop-moutain bike without an unsightly amount of spacers, or a ridiculously tall riser stem; something you'd see on a Wal Mart cruiser.

What am I missing? The folks at Salsa made the necessary mods to the frame to accomidate it's intended niche-purpose. Why not address the short head tube issue while they were at it?

Explain this to me please.

For goodness sakes, even most full out CX bikes are being ridden with stacks of spacers and riser stems.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Let's show some more Fargo's. I got the frame yesterday and after a day of playing in the garage this came out. I will mount my Burley Piccolorack this weekend, so I can carry gear or pull my son on his trailerbike. SMILE and RIDE....

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Very nice build!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ee ay ess
    And I switched from bar-ends to 10 speed campy centuar shifters.
    Could you give the rundown of your drivetrain set-up?

I'm debating 9 versus 10 speed for my Fargo build. If using 9 I would go with D/A bar end shifters, if 10 speed I would use 105 STIs.

Based on your setup, do you think the 105 STIs would work with a trekking crank (48/36/26) and a XT front derailluer?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NAHTNOJ
    Could you give the rundown of your drivetrain set-up?

I'm debating 9 versus 10 speed for my Fargo build. If using 9 I would go with D/A bar end shifters, if 10 speed I would use 105 STIs.

Based on your setup, do you think the 105 STIs would work with a trekking crank (48/36/26) and a XT front derailluer?

Thanks!
    Its 10 speed Campy to 9 speed Shimano. You can make the Campy 10s work with Shimano 8 or 9. I think the Shimano road levers have different pull for the front derailleur than their mountain shifters. The rear would work fine, but I think you'd need a road front der..

PMC
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Its 10 speed Campy to 9 speed Shimano. You can make the Campy 10s work with Shimano 8 or 9. I think the Shimano road levers have different pull for the front derailleur than their mountain shifters. The rear would work fine, but I think you'd need a road front der..
    I second that, the mtb front Ds don't work well with STI levers. They do work just fine with bar end shifters though so if you go that route and already have the parts you're set.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PMC
    I second that, the mtb front Ds don't work well with STI levers. They do work just fine with bar end shifters though so if you go that route and already have the parts you're set.
    Thanks to both of you. I already have bar ends so will probably wind up going that route. They are not as easy to shift but are drop dead reliable, and I want this bike to work predictably and for a long time.

808+909 = Party Good Time
    Seems all the Fargo excitement is dwindling on MTBR... has anyone got any new stories or pics to share? Easily the coolest bike going around at the moment...

Harmonius Wrench

Calm before the storm

Quote Originally Posted by chumbox
    Seems all the Fargo excitement is dwindling on MTBR... has anyone got any new stories or pics to share? Easily the coolest bike going around at the moment...
    I suspect you will start seeing more stories and pics soon. We're just coming out of winter in many parts of the country and a lot of fargos just got delivered.

I'll be surprised if this thread doesn't take off in a couple of weeks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Here's a photo of mine from last weekend. I have been having trouble with knee pain when riding clipless lately, so I've been going with flat pedals. It's a cell-phone photo; I never remember to bring a real camera.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    I suspect you will start seeing more stories and pics soon. We're just coming out of winter in many parts of the country and a lot of fargos just got delivered.

I'll be surprised if this thread doesn't take off in a couple of weeks.
    I'll have some pics of mine in the snow posted up soon. My frame should be in by the end of this week (fingers crossed!).

mnutz
    Apr 2005

initial ride

Here are a couple of pics taken during the initial outing on my new Fargo. The weather was too nice and the day was coming to a close so extra bottle cages and bar tape was optional. Epic Designs frame bag in the near future.

mtbr member

Black Fargo

Nice paintjob! ...hey is that fun-guy black? I will one day (no doubt) need to paint mine... In the mean time my riding wardrobe will take full advantage of the stock color... after all, doesn't everything go with fun-guy green?

Are those Dirt Drop or Midge bars? I dig the shifter placement... Nice build.... Maybe some Brooks brown leather handlebar tape would put that over the top...

Peace,
    BB

jmw
    mtbr member

stealthy!

So did you do a rattle-can overcoat w/ the black paint job, or is that a new powdercoat?
    future nature

mnutz
    Apr 2005
    i dig the black bikes.

we have a powdercoating facility at the workplace, it took about an hour or so to scuff the green enough to accept the new black layer of powder. xxxtra durable.

wtb dirtdrops, and as of tuesday it has black brooks leather wrap.

i'll save the rattle can for the touchup ; ^ )

Harmonius Wrench

Hey d-ray.....

Hey d-ray, I like your black Fargo, very nicly done, by the way. I wanted to ask about the shifter mounts. I've had that idea in my head for awhile now and you have executed it exactly the way I thought it would work. What I am wondering is did you simply mill out the shifter perches to fit the bar diameter? It looks as though that is what I am seeing.

mnutz
    Apr 2005

shifters

gt- you are correct sir. i increased the inside diameter of the mounts about .070". you also need to remove a good portion of the thumbshifter to gain clearance to stay in the drops. i milled and hand filed about .400" from the ends of the shifters. (i'll probably remove more next time i swap cables or re-wrap the bars) if these were placed on ergo bars (bell laps maybe) i think it would increase the amount of adjustability.

the last modification was removing a 1/2 inch from the bottom of the brake lever mount, this allows you to push the shifter assembly farther into the curve of the drops.

i think maybe i've been staring at nates multi mounts in the mwc jewelry case too long.

thanks for the nice comments guys!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

GDR Ride Take 1!

GDR Racer Take 1!

GDR Racer Take 1!

A couple of photos of my latest Fargo build. Now it's time for a shakedown of a few pieces of equipment.

I've also put together a flat bar Fargo and posted a few photos over here.

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    Here's the Fargo in action. post yours when you get it here...
    Here's mine. It's not black, but it's another Fargo in Lincoln. You'll recognize the bridge from d-ray's pics... Wilderness Park.

I've been riding mine for about a month now and can't believe how much I love it. It rips. I've never had a drop bar bike that I've felt so comfortable carving, jumping, and generally just having way too much fun in the dirt on. In short, it lives up to every expectation I had for it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mgersib
    Here's mine. It's not black, but it's another Fargo in Lincoln. You'll recognize the bridge from d-ray's pics... Wilderness Park.
    What front der. are you using?

i heart singletrack
    What front der. are you using?
    That's an old Shimano low-mount Deore LX. It works great once I gave the cable a little "reduction wrap" to change the pull ratio ever so slightly (to work with the STI lever).

Page 5 of 170 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 105 ... LastLast