Page 4 of 168 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 104 ... LastLast
    Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXSS
    In my brain I like to think of this bike as the modern day (technologically) Bridgestone XO-1 or Rivendell All Rounder. Both bikes I have an affinity for.
    Well, I like that sort of cool style too, but I think it is epitomized by this modern incarnation...

Rawlands take 700c/29"er rubber too, so you could have that bike today.

To me the Fargo is a more "heavy duty" version of something like that that is specifically designed for 29"er wheels.

Both types of bikes are super cool in their own rights.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    And lets be honest here. How many hand positions do you guys with flat bars or risers use? One? Maybe two if you use bar ends?
    Without bar ends, on my current setup, I use three. If I had bar ends, four. Must be all of the road riding I've done in the past, and the time spend on the LHT this summer. That being said, I'm going to give the Midge a shot on my KM here in the next few weeks and see how I think it will feel for TI and DK (assuming I get in). If I manage to make the lottery for Leadville, then I'll have some decisions to make after the month of May is over.

Birthday Collector
    So - just wondering - has anyone set up a Fargo with H-bars yet?
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member

Smile Fargo with H-bars

Quote Originally Posted by ATBScott
    So - just wondering - has anyone set up a Fargo with H-bars yet?
    Scott: See Page 2 of this forum -
    The Salsa Fargo Thread

You ought to own one of these...

Birthday Collector
    Very cool - missed that! Been following the thread off and on, but somehow skipped that (that's what I get for sporadically following the links that come in the e-mail notices). I just put a set of the "J-bars" (Flat Titec H-Bar with 31.8 clamp size) on my XXIX a few rides ago. Been playing with position - raised the stem height and length a bit with a Salsa SUL stem (120mm x 40d rise) and it feels pretty perfect. Didn't think I'd want it that high, but for standing and climbing the other stems were a bit low (105 x 10d with an extra 5mm spacer) Hopefully I will be able to ride it for an hour or so tomorrow and verify that!
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ATBScott
    Didn't think I'd want it that high, but for standing and climbing the other stems were a bit low (105 x 10d with an extra 5mm spacer)
    Scott:

The Fargo was designed for drop bars, as you can see with the frame's geometry and headtube length. I just swapped out the stem in the pic (5 degree, 120mm) with a 15 degree, 110mm stem, which so far feels about right.

Peace,
    BB

mtbr member

Fargo with Racks and Lights

Now my Fargo is beginning to look more like an expedition touring bike...

Tubus Logo (rear); Axiom Odyssee (front, with custom fork crown mounting bracket). Light is a 3-LED homebuilt, with custom circuit board (in white tube) to be compatible with the Schmidt hub. More pics on Flickr.com http://flickr.com/photos/16461051@N0...7611148254223/

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Montclairbob,

How are you liking the riding position of your Fargo with H-bars? Are you going to stick with it or migrate to drop bars?

I'm considering the same setup but with Shimano dual control shift/brake levers. Do you think that would work well?

I know I'll never be able to test ride such a setup beforehand so if anyone has opinions on how that would work (2 questions really: 1) fargo w/ h-bars, is that a good setup?; 2) same plus shim dual control?) I'd be much obliged.

BTW, your ride looks sweet.

mtbr member

H-bars and dualies for Fargo?

Quote Originally Posted by Vikingfan
    How are you liking the riding position of your Fargo with H-bars? Are you going to stick with it or migrate to drop bars?
    I LOVE my setup... especially since I can run hydraulic disc brakes (which to me was the main reason for these bars. I never really took to drop bars. I generally ride riser mountain bars, and have tried Mary's, All-rounder, Sparrows, etc... the H-bar is the best bar yet (for the all-round on/off road kind of riding I'll do on the Fargo)... These bars are so comfortable and versatile, I even rode them in a skatepark (on a whim) last week with a few of my buddies who were skating and BMXing, where I shot some video footage (see below link). There's a segment of me on the Fargo...first time in a bowl on a bike and I was instantly and completely comfortable... plus all the helmet-cam chase footage was shot by me on the Fargo... THIS BIKE ROCKS, and these bars are the BOMB!!!

Check it out: (shots of the Fargo are at 1:40 of the video)

As far as the dualies, I don't see why they wouldn't work great on the h-bars... In fact, look at my freaky setup. I say GO FOR IT!!! Good luck... you'll enjoy this ride.... I hope others will try out the h-bars....

Peace,
    BB

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Almost Finished

Here it is:
    Quick Thanks again to Gnat,
    G - Ted,
    Eric http://www.epicdesignsalaska.com/
    Old Spokes Home http://www.oldspokeshome.com/

Just got to stick on the front nice rack and swap out pedals
    Attached Images Attached Images

RDS
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Will the Fargo take a suspension fork?

mtbr member
    Any one get out for an adventure this week? Give me some new photos to look at! Share the love with the rest of us.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXSS
    Any one get out for an adventure this week? Give me some new photos to look at! Share the love with the rest of us.
    Up north we are still dreaming of all the great Fargo adventures to come and riding Fargo's winter cousin...

mtbr member

Smile Pugsley (like his Adams Family namesake)...way underrated

That's it.... I MUST own a PUGS.... It just looks like way too much fun... almost as if it would laugh and talk to you as you ride it... The Fargo fills the void for now, (and I often talk to it as I ride around the neighborhood, which sends the moms scurrying for their kids)..."That crazy man, Mr Birmingham is out talking to his ugly green bike again"....

Peace,
    BB

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Nice rack modifications

Hi,

I just wanted to attach some pics of the Fargo with a front Surly nice rack. The front Nice rack is incompatible with mounting water bottle holders directly to the fork. My LBS created their own water bottle mount directly on the rack. I apologize for the photo quality. The mods are simple enough and the end result still came out great.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Sorry

Sorry about the giant photos. This picture thing is still new to me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Nice bike, Is that a complete bike from Salsa or a shop build?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Very nice! Makes me really really really want one.

Captain Bob

mtbr member

Nice Rack, but...

The water bottle position looks like it would prevent you from running low-rider panniers. If you're not running lowriders, then it's not a problem. Still, I hope your LBS didn't charge you more than the cost of the hardware for their (ahem) "innovative" design...

Great build, BTW, and awesome rack...

Peace,
    BB

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Love the build. Can't wait to start my Fargo build...

I see that your front fender is cut "short" of the front rack...

Is that because it wouldn't fit between the rack and the tyre? (or just a personal preference thing?)

Elvis.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I guess I should lay out my planned build too. (keeping in mind that this bike is really going to be used most of the time as my super commuter).

wheels
    Schmidt front dynamo hub
    Supernova E3 triple front light
    Rohloff rear hub
    DT Swiss TK7.1d rims (mmmm double eyeletted goodness)
    DT Swiss Competition black spokes
    DT Swiss Pro Lock nipples (brass)
    Schwalbe Marathon plus 700 x 45 tyres (or Big Apples)

cockpit
    Syncros FL stem
    Salsa Pro Moto 11 degree flat bar
    1996 generation Control Tech Team Issue bar ends (green anno')
    Oury glow in the dark grips (on both the bars and the bar ends)
    Salsa seatpost
    SDG Gran Prix saddle (cro-mo rails)

Race Face Evolve cranks
    Crank Brothers Mallet 2 pedals
    Surly Nice Racks front and rear
    Full fenders
    lots of Salsa bottle cages
    lots of rear flashing lights (my commute usually starts at 3.30am)
    oh yeh... and one of those external BB eccentric BB adapter things... (I hate tensioners)

did I miss anything?

Elvis.
    Last edited by Elvis @ Dirt Works; 02-10-2009 at 09:03 PM.

mtbr member

Fargo Build

Nice build, Elvis! I'm considering building up an internal hub wheel for my Fargo... probably a Shimano Alfine... I will need to work out the tension thing with the Forward Components EBB adapter and a half-link... that should do it... I have the Schmidt hub and it's a miniature engineering marvel...

That's a pricey config.... no wonder you had no money leftover for brakes...

I use Shimano hydraulic brakes, and love em!!!

Good luck... send pics, please when you're build is done....
    Peace,
    BB

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by montclairbobbyb
    That's a pricey config.... no wonder you had no money leftover for brakes...
    ya got me.

Hayes Stroker brakes. I'm running Stroker trails on most bikes now. (Stroker Carbons on the Mojo).

But I'm seriously considering the Stroker Ace for the Fargo. The weight difference is so minimal (60g per end).

check the light! www.supernova-lights.com/newsite/e3_triple.html

and one of these on the rear! http://www.supernova-lights.com/news...ail_light.html

and the beam patten! http://www.supernova-lights.com/news...omparison.html

as soon as I read the line "Depending on the alignment it can be extremely blinding"... I was sold. So it could blind car drivers huh?... gimme gimme...

Elvis.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Couple quick answers

To Black Cross: Thank You. It is a shop build but pretty much the same as the complete.

Captain Bob: I'm really wanting a Selma like yours! Hope your arm is feeling better.

Montclairbobbyb: Your correct about running low rider panniers but it won't be an
    issue for me. My shop didn't charge me a dime for hardware or
    installation of the rack. They are a great shop.

http://www.oldspokeshome.com/

Elvis: Cut for fit. I'm looking forward to pics of your build. Sounds awesome!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Fat and Hairy. Thanks. Hope it heels soon. Selma? Wish I had one. I guess they will be available soon. Can't wait.

Captain

Page 4 of 168 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 104 ... LastLast