Page 2 of 167 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 102 ... LastLast
    PMC
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    You got it, small and a large. I was stoked to actually get my hands on one of each from the first batch.

Down South Yooper

Nice Rides

Still waiting here, but really enjoying seeing all the other builds so far.

Estimated date is December 8 right now for the medium I pre-ordered..

Have almost everything accounted for so far, just have to work out the details on the build..

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

mtbr member
    PMC:

Nice "Mr and Mrs Fargos"... Mind my asking your dimensions (ie height and inseam)? Also, is that stem length and angle working for you? Thanks,
    BB

PMC
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    MCB - I'm 6'1" with an 89cm inseam, saddle height is around 78.5cm. I ended up with a 8cm 90 degree stem thinking I had bought a 9cm but it seems to be working pretty good so I'm keeping it. I'd usually ride something longer than an 8 or 9 on a road bike but it really works on this bike. You can't really tell from the photo but the bars are a bit higher than the saddle, probably an inch higher which seems to work pretty good but I don't think I would go any higher.

On my road and cross bikes the cockpit is set up longer and lower, I'd run a 120mm stem with about 3.5 inches of drop if all other measurements were equal.

Harmonius Wrench

Latest variation

Here's the latest incarnation. Crossmax 29"er hoops, Geax TNT Saguaro tires tubeless. 180mm front rotor. Rides like a dream!

mtbr member

Racks, anyone?

Slightly disappointed at a seeming lack of front rack options for the Fargo... So far, aside from the Nitto (M18?) front rack from the Interbike model, I've neither heard nor seen few other front rack options. Anyone run a Nice Rack on the front? (I know the rear Nice Rack fits, but concerned about front disc brake interference). Also, has anyone tried installing a Tubus Tara lowrider yet?

In particular I would like to install a light load rack that fastens via the mid-fork braze-ons (like the M18, but a little less spendy) for everyday riding, AND also have the option of adding the Tara for more loaded riding.

I may end up making my own... Any ideas? Thx!

Peace,
    BB

Dec 2005

The fargo is looking good

The fargo is looking good GTed. Is that a Medium Frame?
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted

Here's the latest incarnation. Crossmax 29"er hoops, Geax TNT Saguaro tires tubeless. 180mm front rotor. Rides like a dream!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by montclairbobbyb
    Slightly disappointed at a seeming lack of front rack options for the Fargo... So far, aside from the Nitto (M18?) front rack from the Interbike model, I've neither heard nor seen few other front rack options. Anyone run a Nice Rack on the front? (I know the rear Nice Rack fits, but concerned about front disc brake interference). Also, has anyone tried installing a Tubus Tara lowrider yet?

In particular I would like to install a light load rack that fastens via the mid-fork braze-ons (like the M18, but a little less spendy) for everyday riding, AND also have the option of adding the Tara for more loaded riding.

I may end up making my own... Any ideas? Thx!

Peace,
    BB
    Some of the photos of the Salsa guys' Fargos show a Velo-Orange Porteur rack installed on the front.

Freelance Whatever

bar end shifter compatibility

This may be a silly question, but are the bar con shifters compatible with SRAM ders? I would like to shift over parts, but I'm running X9 rear and it's virtually new. Would I have to get something from the big "S" or would the combination of barcons and SRAM work? Anybody trying this?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Racks, Here's the load.

Front Racks First...
    Compatible and tested:
    - Surly Nice Rack (Serious Loading)
    - Velo Orange Porteur (Light Touring large load capacity)
    - Tubus Duo (Touring with Panniers)
    - Nitto M18 (light touring, I don't understand the allure)

Rear Racks...
    Compatible and Tested
    - Jandd Expedition models
    - Surly Nice Rack
    - Tubus Cargo

More details... Front Racks are tough. The 29er tire doesn't allow for lowrider racks with a stabilizing front loop that goes over the tire. Most of these racks were not designed with a 29 in mind, just a 35 and a fender. This is why the Tubus Duo is great. It mounts to both sides of the mid-blade mount to stabilize the rack with a load on it.

I've run the VO Porteur extensively and I love it! It is great for around town errands, commuting, some touring. It will work with panniers, but puts the load high. Heavy, high loads do not ride well. I have however picked up my CSA (Large box of vegetables) multiple times with the Portuer rack. I Love It!

We have also run the Surly Nice Rack and Nitto M18 extensively. GNAT road the m18 with a small dry bag strapped in, this seemed to work well for clothing and light loads. He'll have to comment. I haven't heard much on the Nice Rack, although it clearly mounts up and will handle large loads. It is expedition worthy and over-built for 99% of us, but will clearly serve needs.

Rear Racks are much easier. We designed the dropout eyelet to be in a position so 99% of racks out there would clear the 29 tire. So you will very easily find one to fit. The difficult point here is the attachment to the seatstay. You may need long mounting straps if your rack doesn't come with them. This is a result of seatstay position in relation to the rack caused by a shorter seat tube and increased standover of the frame. Geek stuff, but trust me on this, make sure your mounting struts or straps are long enough!

Frame Bags are also a great idea to consider...Eric at EpicDesigns does great bags, as does Jeff at Carousel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Witty McWitterson
    Nope. Not compatible. Unless you choose to run them in friction that is. Even the SRAM barends won't work as the road line pulls a different cable amount vs. the Mtn stuff.
    Just a regular guy.

PMC
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Jtek makes a shiftmate that supposedly works with Shimano 9 shifters, cassette and SRAM 1:1 Mtb derailleurs.
    http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate_straight.htm

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by threesixeight
    The fargo is looking good GTed. Is that a Medium Frame?
    The frame I am running is a Large size. Thanks for the kind words!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Hey GT, How "Big a Boy are ya"? What is your inseam, etc?

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by black cross
    Hey GT, How "Big a Boy are ya"? What is your inseam, etc?
    I am 6'1" and my "cycling inseam" is a hair over 34". My saddle height from the center of the BB is 31" and my measurement from the saddles center to the centerline of the stem bar clamp is 28". (Normally it is 28", on this Fargo it is 27")

Freelance Whatever

would a medium fit...

if I have a 30" inseam? I've read that Salsa tends to run a little big, at least as far as the cross bikes go (the compact sizing and all) so would a medium allow me to place the bars at the correct height to ride the drops most of the time?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm 5'11" with a 30" inseam and the medium works for me.

mtbr member
    Zarf, Is the frame bag pictured here custom? I noticed Jandd makes one in a similar size...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    No custom, that straight up IS the Jandd bag. They are sweet little packs.

mtbr member
    Ok, so now that there are quite a few of you who have logged a decent number of miles on this bike I have a survey of sorts for all of you. Because of the versatility designed into this bike I'm curious what range of uses and setups people are going for with their Fargo.

This is part curiosity and part research since I'm looking at getting one of these when the completes hit in February. My use will be commuting, occasional bike camping and exploration ride. Not much in the way of unpaved roads in my area. Just pavement or singletrack.

That said:
    1. List off what you use your Fargo for (e.g. Commuting, road touring, off road touring, technical singletrack riding, etc...)

2. What percentage of your riding spent on each surface type (e.g. paved road vs. dirt road vs technical singletrack.)

3. What is your bar setup for the types of riding listed above? Specificallly:
    A. Which model bar you prefer.
    B. How high you have it setup compared with either a typcial road drop or MTB drop setup that you have previously used, or describe the height compared to the saddle for reference.
    C. Percentage of time spent in the drops vs. the hoods or tops with this setup.

4. optional: what type of cargo system you use with this bike. front or rear rack, frame bag, etc...

The third question may be really helpful to others not yet riding this bike. I'm curious myself how people are setting up the bars when they ride both pavement and dirt. Are you putting them up high to use the drops off road and sacrificing comfortable road positions?

Fill me in while I wait through the winter. Thanks!

(edited for clarification)
    Last edited by ATXSS; 12-13-2008 at 07:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Has anyone done a road trip on a Fargo yet? Loaded? I'm looking for a bike to cross the country and possibly do the CDT some day & the Fargo seems perfect.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXSS
    1. List off what you use your Fargo for (e.g. Commuting, road touring, off road touring, technical singletrack riding, etc...)
    So far I've ridden paved roads, dirt roads, technical singletrack, non-technical singletrack, and a cyclocross course (not racing). Planned: on-road and off-road touring.

2. What percentage of your riding spent on each surface type (e.g. paved road vs. dirt road vs technical singletrack.)
    So far, probably 60% pavement, 20% singletrack, 20% other. It's really sloppy here right now, so I'll be doing mostly road riding for a while.

A. Which model bar you prefer.
    B. How high you have it setup compared with either a typcial road drop or MTB drop setup that you have previously used, or describe the height compared to the saddle for reference.
    I have the Salsa drop bars, set up pretty high in relation to the seat. I have little choice in this matter without changing stems: I have short legs and my saddle is quite low, but the stem is set up only one spacer above the head tube.

I still ride roads on the hoods; most of the time on the trail is in the drops.

4. optional: what type of cargo system you use with this bike. front or rear rack, frame bag, etc...
    I have a Surly rear rack and an Epic Designs frame bag. I've never had a bike with either before, so I don't have much feedback. The Surly rack is pretty heavy and I do seem to notice that it's there when riding singletrack.

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Quote Originally Posted by PMC
    Jtek makes a shiftmate that supposedly works with Shimano 9 shifters, cassette and SRAM 1:1 Mtb derailleurs.
    http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate_straight.htm
    The following is an email chain with Jay Guthrie of JTek Engineering:

Original Email:
    I would like to use a Shimano 9 speed bar end shifter with a mountain bike SRAM x.9 rear derailleur. Would the ShiftMate Straight model #6S be the correct item? I prefer to use the straight over the regular ShiftMate.

Response:
    Yes, that's correct. The cable routing on the Straight version is better for the SRAM x9 rear derailleur.

Best Regards,

Jay Guthrie
    Jtek Engineering

I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

mtbr member

Smile My New Fargo

AT LONG LAST, my Fargo frame and fork arrived this week. After several long evenings in the labora-tree, I finally emerged yesterday in the waning daylight hours to reveal my newest Franken-creation.... BEHOLD, THE LAND BEAST...... IT LIVES!!!!

Salsa Fargo

Land Beast 2

See the full set of photos and build information at Flickr.com
    http://flickr.com/photos/16461051@N0...7611148254223/

Now... to answer ATXSS's questions:

1. List off what you use your Fargo for (e.g. Commuting, road touring, off road touring, technical singletrack riding, etc...) YES, plus urban assault...

2. What percentage of your riding spent on each surface type (e.g. paved road vs. dirt road vs technical singletrack.) Sorry, that is a silly question, and I refuse to answer it... To suggest that the Land Beast could possibly be confined to one over the other is utterly absurd....

A. Which model bar you prefer. Titec H-bar... haven't tried anything else, but can't imagine a better setup...

B. How high you have it setup compared with either a typcial road drop or MTB drop setup that you have previously used, or describe the height compared to the saddle for reference. I subscribe to the "Grant Peterson philosophy", that suggests bar height should be at or above seat height for maximum comfort. My bar is close to seat height, but I am taking it one step further, adding a higher rise Thomson stem, resulting in a slightly shorter and higher reach.

N/A... Hoods? We don't need no stinkin hoods... But I do spend about 10% of my time with hands resting on the bars over the hydraulic reservoirs (which I guess qualifies as my hoods, right???)

4. optional: what type of cargo system you use with this bike. front or rear rack, frame bag, etc... Yet to be installed, but here is my diabolical plan: Tubus Logo - rear, Tubus Tara - front (with some necessary customization to the fender), and an Axiom Odysee disc rack, Franken-rigged as a front porteur rack, taking advantage of the mid-fork brazes.... Mbwaahaaahaa!!!

And please pardon the cynical answers, ATXSS.... I'm still giddy from finishing this build, and having way too much fun riding it!!!! Thanks, and Peace,

MBB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by montclairbobbyb
    And please pardon the cynical answers, ATXSS.... I'm still giddy from finishing this build, and having way too much fun riding it!!!! Thanks, and Peace,

MBB
    No worries mate. That truly is a one-of-a-kind setup you've got there. I'm sure it suits you well. Enjoy it!

Page 2 of 167 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 102 ... LastLast