Page 166 of 169 FirstFirst ... 66 116 156 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 LastLast
Results 4,126 to 4,150 of 4224
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
    Great, thanks.
    And the throw of the brake lever works well discs? I know that was a problem for some combinations back in the cantilever days.
    Yes, no problems, but you have to use the specific road version of the BB7. At the time of purchase MTB BB7s were black and the BB7 road, silver. I'm not certain that is still the case regarding colour, but there are still two versions.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Black rims, black crankset, blackwall tires, black hubs, black bar tape, black stem...
    I'd go with the black seat post. Plus, black goes good with the yellow frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicCarpet View Post
    Yes, no problems, but you have to use the specific road version of the BB7. At the time of purchase MTB BB7s were black and the BB7 road, silver. I'm not certain that is still the case regarding colour, but there are still two versions.
    Thanks again for the feedback. I've been using brifters on the road for years and been very happy with them. I'd like to give them a try on the Fargo at some point.

never summer
    Anyone else considering picking up the Sram S700's when they are available? Only heard of one person on here using them. I like a firm and short pull on my brake levers and it seems like I'm constantly tuning my BB7's between the Fargo and fatbikes to keep them that way. Wonder if the S700's will stay firm and self adjust...no rotor rub?
    Fargo Ti + Moonlander + Necro Pug + Nature Boy

mtbr member
    Crowley- I remembered I had a black thomson on the road bike, you're right it looks even better!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

First S24O

Recently took my Fargo on my first bike camping trip, a leisurely overnight affair of 80 miles round trip. (Well, the ride down was less leisurely due to getting a late start and wanting to get to the destination town before the one local eatery closed, but still pretty relaxed.)

Here she is, my favorite ride, over-laden with stuff, waiting on my friends to show up to begin the ride. I've had this bike, a 2012 Fargo 2, for two years, and mostly use it for an exercise tool, riding up and down my local rail-to-trail, as well as a commuter, an occasional mountain bike trail tackler, and as an exploration machine going off the beaten path. It is a very versatile bike. I've tried some skinnier (35mm) hybrid tires before, but they look funny on this bike, to me, and the ride felt a bit harsher.

The three bikes, when we stopped to rest on a bridge. My Fargo, and my friend's 2013 Fargo 3 in back, and his girlfriend's Trek hybrid thingy in front. I carried all of my gear, and he carried all of theirs. She was lucky.

Same stop, but from the back, best pic I have of my buddy's flat bar Fargo.

Bridge! Lots of nice bridges along the way.

My tent! Worked out well for one guy, and pretty light.
    2014 Motobecane FB4 Elite (Fatty), 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, 2009 Giant Yukon XC (First "real" bike, recently sold )

mtbr member
    May 2010

The Salsa Fargo Thread

^^Pine Creek rail trail?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    It *is* a rail trail, but not that one. Is Pine Creek nice?

This is the Wabash Trace Nature Trail, a rail trail in Southwest Iowa, running about 63 miles from Council Bluffs Southeast to Blanchard at the Missouri border.
    2014 Motobecane FB4 Elite (Fatty), 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, 2009 Giant Yukon XC (First "real" bike, recently sold )

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    One of the worst bike related decisions I have made is selling my gen 1 XL Fargo. It fit great and was amazingly fast on pavement despite being heavy. I also now have a severely pinched nerve in my neck so the poorly fitting custom touring bike that replaced the Fargo is on the way out and a new Fargo is on the horizon.

I am just wondering if I can expect a 2014 or 15 XL to fit as well as the gen 1 and also if it will be as fun on pavement. The geo seems to be close. If not, then I will hold out and wait for an older model to show up on ebay. Thanks for your input.

mtbr member
    well... went to the store yesterday and returned a box of parts. they were 9-speed parts to go with the 9-sp brifters on what was a donor bike. donor bike gets to remain whole, no single speed roadie for me. Fargo gets to remain as a frameset until i splurge for hydraulic brifters. it's gonna happen sooner or later, might as well skip the intermediate step.
    In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Seasucker test

Hey Farg-nuts,

I finally got the farg-nuts to actually try my Seasucker bike rack on the highway - a 2 hr+ trip at speeds up to 90mph. No issues but it still feels scary - even though I actually believe all the advertising hype.
    The Salsa Fargo Thread-wp_20140819_003.jpg
    I carry a small spray bottle of detailer in the trunk to make sure I get a good vacuum. I mount as above so I can see at least 2 of the vacuum indicators in the rear view mirror.

Mike

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    The Salsa Fargo Thread-margo.jpgHi All.
    Newbie to the Forum. Here is my '14 Fargo 3 playing in Val d'Aosta, Italy. I have a question. I am running stock wheels and tires. What is the widest tire I can put on these wheels. Once winter, I'll spend more time on the road and less on the trails and I'm a bike commuter. I was going to go with something like the Big Apples at 28 x 2.15, but wasn't sure that would work on the stock wheels. Thoughts?

White and nerdy
    May 2012
    Is the 2014 Salsa Fargo right for me?

tl;dr - is the 2014 Fargo more of a drop bar mountain bike than the 2011?

I am looking for a drop bar mountain bike. The fargo or singular gryphon are the two top contenders.

I have arthritis / bone spurs / "kissing" osteophytes in my elbow and a drop bar seems like best position for my old busted elbow.

I currently ride a rigid singlespeed and love it. I ride things like the monarch crest trail, crested butte trails, etc. I'm not going to go lift service downhill, etc. My expectations are reasonable...I think. I feel fairly comfortable on drop bars downhill, but I need a taller head tube like in the fargo.

I had an older Fargo and it was meh as a drop bar mountain bike. Sort of felt like driving a tank It could go over anything but it wasnt snappy, fast, or responsive. Possibly due to the long chainstays. I would stand up and try to mash and it was a but mushy.

How is the 2014 Fargo? It looks more mountain bike-ish. Will it work well set up as a SS drop bar mtn bike for singletrack? Or should I look more at the singular?
    Last edited by Deeps Elgnis; 08-23-2014 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Words

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

2015 steel Salsa Fargo Frame(set) price

I have seen some conflicting info on the 2015 steel Salsa Fargo Frame(set).

It is clear that the price will be $999. The question is, what do you get for $999?

Guitar ted's site mentions a "frameset" for $999, which I always assumes means frame and fork.

Salsa's site just says "frame" for $999, which I assume means frame only.

The 2014 steel frame (frame only) sells for $699:

Universal Cycles -- Salsa Fargo Frame 2014 - Blue

Since the 2015 price has increased by $300, and there are no changes to the frame design, I am hoping the $999 gets me the frame plus the carbon firestarter fork.

Can anybody provide clarification on this new pricing? Thanks!

mtbr member
    The Salsa Fargo Thread-dsc06674.jpg
    Forgot to post this pic from a recent overnight. 65ish miles both days on a simple overnighter from the Cincinnati area to Columbus. Bike path, farm roads, some bits of gravel, and crazy Columbus streets. Good times.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Stopped here:
    fargo on the dam by mbeganyi, on Flickr

To look at this:
    silver lake, GMNF by mbeganyi, on Flickr

Did a S24O on the Fargo, road, dirt road, forest road, single track, hike a bike to Silver Lake in GMNF.

Still love the Fargo, mine is a Gen2. Wishing for flat bars some days, and drop bars others.

fargo on the bridge by mbeganyi, on Flickr

trail armor by mbeganyi, on Flickr

thats not a moon by mbeganyi, on Flickr

making dinner by mbeganyi, on Flickr

yard sale by mbeganyi, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeps Elgnis View Post
    Is the 2014 Salsa Fargo right for me?

tl;dr - is the 2014 Fargo more of a drop bar mountain bike than the 2011?

I am looking for a drop bar mountain bike. The fargo or singular gryphon are the two top contenders.

I have arthritis / bone spurs / "kissing" osteophytes in my elbow and a drop bar seems like best position for my old busted elbow.

I currently ride a rigid singlespeed and love it. I ride things like the monarch crest trail, crested butte trails, etc. I'm not going to go lift service downhill, etc. My expectations are reasonable...I think. I feel fairly comfortable on drop bars downhill, but I need a taller head tube like in the fargo.

I had an older Fargo and it was meh as a drop bar mountain bike. Sort of felt like driving a tank It could go over anything but it wasnt snappy, fast, or responsive. Possibly due to the long chainstays. I would stand up and try to mash and it was a but mushy.

How is the 2014 Fargo? It looks more mountain bike-ish. Will it work well set up as a SS drop bar mtn bike for singletrack? Or should I look more at the singular?
    The Fargo does have more of a mountain bike geometry. I like the woodchipper bar, as far as drop bars go...but I think its personal preference. The Fargo is a sweet ride and I'm very impressed with my '14 Fargo 3.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdwhitey View Post
    I have seen some conflicting info on the 2015 steel Salsa Fargo Frame(set).

It is clear that the price will be $999. The question is, what do you get for $999?

Guitar ted's site mentions a "frameset" for $999, which I always assumes means frame and fork.

Salsa's site just says "frame" for $999, which I assume means frame only.

The 2014 steel frame (frame only) sells for $699:

Universal Cycles -- Salsa Fargo Frame 2014 - Blue

Since the 2015 price has increased by $300, and there are no changes to the frame design, I am hoping the $999 gets me the frame plus the carbon firestarter fork.

Can anybody provide clarification on this new pricing? Thanks!
    I'm seeing the frame only for $699 at my LBS also.

Salsa Fargo Frame - Century Cycles - Cleveland & Akron OH
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by aroundoz View Post
    One of the worst bike related decisions I have made is selling my gen 1 XL Fargo. It fit great and was amazingly fast on pavement despite being heavy. I also now have a severely pinched nerve in my neck so the poorly fitting custom touring bike that replaced the Fargo is on the way out and a new Fargo is on the horizon.

I am just wondering if I can expect a 2014 or 15 XL to fit as well as the gen 1 and also if it will be as fun on pavement. The geo seems to be close. If not, then I will hold out and wait for an older model to show up on ebay. Thanks for your input.
    I find the new geometry to be a little quicker feeling on pavement due to shorter chainstays. I found that my Gen 1 Fargo always felt a bit sluggist on pavement. With the alternator dropouts, it should be possible to tune that feeling a little bit. I found the seating position on the newer ones to be a little more comfortable (upright) as well. FWIW, I've owned a Gen 1, Gen 2, and now a 2014 model Fargo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    I'm seeing the frame only for $699 at my LBS also.

Salsa Fargo Frame - Century Cycles - Cleveland & Akron OH
    There is an 18" cream / tan Gen2 at my local outdoor gear shop in consigent. Frame and fork without der hanger for 199. Looks used but not abused.

White and nerdy
    May 2012
    I emailed salsa, for 2015 $999 is frame and fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I just picked up this 2013 Fargo at a very nice discount the other day. It was just a bit over what the newer steel one cost. I got it all setup how I like and took it out today on mostly single track along with gravel and some road riding to get to the better stuff. It was a blast to ride unloaded. It really moves and steers great. It does not seem sluggish at all. Position is upright of course but on multi long day rides that really is what I would want. I cannot wait to get it out more locally and hopefully soon on some good adventure touring. I really like this thing.

Fargo photo photo.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Apologies if this has already been asked...

Anyone running a Fargo with the Surly Open Bars? If so, how do you like them?

I'm not sold on the Woodchippers and was contemplating swapping them out for the Surly's or maybe the new Bend H-Bar from Jones. Though, I'd prefer steel bars to help tamper vibrations from the fork.

Thanks

mtbr member
    I use the Open bar on mine and love it! I use the Open Bar on all of my bikes. On the Fargo, I have a bar with rise, but flipped over for drop. Open bar with Ergon grips is my preferred combo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojoe View Post
    I use the Open bar on mine and love it! I use the Open Bar on all of my bikes. On the Fargo, I have a bar with rise, but flipped over for drop. Open bar with Ergon grips is my preferred combo.
    Thanks, sir. Some folks smarter than me said to give the Woodchippers more time before making any potential changes. I've only ridden the Fargo for 100 miles so I'll see how I feel next season and more miles ridden with the Woodchippers.