Page 160 of 165 FirstFirst ... 60 110 150 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 ... LastLast
Results 3,976 to 4,000 of 4114
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    At the risk of beating a dead horse - I lurve the Serfas Drifter - 29X2".

Mike

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by keyhavenpotterer View Post
    I have been thinking of the Continental Travel Contact in 700 x 50. Highly regarded in touring trekking circles.

Continental Cycle Tyres UK

I had a pair in 26" - Very heavy and slow tire and they failed in the most spectacular way - splitting across the tire. BOOM! you're walking son
    Schwalbe marathon appear to be the goto tire for touring, but I have no experience. Check out crazyguyonabike.com for in depth discussion on tires.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks for the replies; I probably wasn't clear in what I'm after. I want a 2nd wheel set to complement the first. The original wheel set and tires will be for off pavement. The second wheel set and tires will be for when I plan to ride on pavement. I want to be able to just swap wheels depending on where I'm riding on any given day.

I would like to buy a 2nd set of wheels (strong, light and inexpensive - haha) and then mount a good set of dependable tires for riding on pavement.

If my idea works, I'll probably sell my LHT because I think the Fargo may perform (or even out-perform) the LHT as a road machine.

Should I just look for the same wheel set or do y'all have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

KJ

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    You have a lot of choices! I'm "borrowing" a set of XT 29er wheels off my wife's bike, to try out the tubeless setup. That knocked a couple of pounds off my Spearfish. Those would be WH-MT75, which you can still find for $400 to $500. I'm sure there are lots of similar things around. When I was swapping the wheels between the bikes, I thought the Shimano wheels would be really nice for a Vaya. I'm still a little skittish about 24 spokes on a wheel holding my large self up, but on a road or touring bike I think they would work fine.

Your idea seems like a good one. I thought about it myself when I got my '09 Fargo, but it came with Vulpines that roll really well and I just left it alone. Well, I did replace the extremely strong stock wheels with something a bit lighter but also cheap. I was happy to pick up a new set of Vulpines after they had been discontinued, too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Progress update: I bought the Stan's Notubes ZTR Crest 29er wheelset. They are light and although they suggest a rider weight limit of 190 (I'm 170), I feel confident they'll be more than adequate for me since I'll be riding them on pavement, not off-road.

Now, I need to decide on tires and a 9-speed cassette.

KJ

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kj78133 View Post
    Progress update: I bought the Stan's Notubes ZTR Crest 29er wheelset. They are light and although they suggest a rider weight limit of 190 (I'm 170), I feel confident they'll be more than adequate for me since I'll be riding them on pavement, not off-road.

Now, I need to decide on tires and a 9-speed cassette.

KJ
    Here's a question for youse, I am a big fat 235 - pounds not stones

I often see Stan's Notubes ZTR Crest 29er wheels for sale on my local Craigslist. I have wondered that with the weight restriction, would I be OK on pavement? After all, I assume, the weight restriction is based on getting big air in an all out mountain bike situation - plus some additional lawsuit friendly safety margin.

What say ye?

Mike

mtbr member

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by mgreene888 View Post
    Here's a question for youse, I am a big fat 235 - pounds not stones

I often see Stan's Notubes ZTR Crest 29er wheels for sale on my local Craigslist. I have wondered that with the weight restriction, would I be OK on pavement? After all, I assume, the weight restriction is based on getting big air in an all out mountain bike situation - plus some additional lawsuit friendly safety margin.

What say ye?

Mike
    230lbs here. Stan's Crest rims, if ridden with a light touch, would be okay on pavement. You probably would feel a little squirrelly in hard corners even at that though. They are just a bit flexy under bigger folk. Otherwise, I don't see any issues with pavement use. (Assuming a top notch wheel build, of course)

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    230lbs here. Stan's Crest rims, if ridden with a light touch, would be okay on pavement. You probably would feel a little squirrelly in hard corners even at that though. They are just a bit flexy under bigger folk. Otherwise, I don't see any issues with pavement use. (Assuming a top notch wheel build, of course)
    Thanks Ted! You have enabled me.

Always nice to hear from the super-famous Guitar Ted

Mike

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Anyone else having trouble adjusting their 2013 Fargo lower headset bearing? I'll tighten mine and it's rattling right away. Looked at the cup/race/bearing and they seem okay. I have a new lower set to install, but they seem they'll be finnicky too (takes a lot of pressure to eliminate the play). Thoughts?
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    So I finally got in a position to purchase a Fargo and my LBS is no longer able to get Salsa frames. Nearest dealer is 300 miles away. And on line sales are no longer allowed by Salsa. Crap.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Just picked up a Shimano dyno wheel and a Revo for the Fargo. Added the Redeye rear light too.

Untitled by mbeganyi, on Flickr

Untitled by mbeganyi, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Anyone else having trouble adjusting their 2013 Fargo lower headset bearing? I'll tighten mine and it's rattling right away. Looked at the cup/race/bearing and they seem okay. I have a new lower set to install, but they seem they'll be finnicky too (takes a lot of pressure to eliminate the play). Thoughts?
    I've had similar problems...
    I tightened the headset several times and it always seemed to work its way loose again? I thought I had a bad headset.

I bike mechanic buddy of mine took it apart and put it back together again and I haven't had a problem since?? I have no idea what he did that fixed the problem, but it seems to gone????? He said he didn't notice any problems by looking at it.

Quote Originally Posted by jmhtx View Post
    So I finally got in a position to purchase a Fargo and my LBS is no longer able to get Salsa frames. Nearest dealer is 300 miles away. And on line sales are no longer allowed by Salsa. Crap.
    Universal Cycles has them in stock. Frames and Bikes. Ordered a Fargo 2 earlier this year (2013 model) but I just checked and they had most models and both frames available.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Universal Cycles has them in stock. Frames and Bikes. Ordered a Fargo 2 earlier this year (2013 model) but I just checked and they had most models and both frames available.
    Unfortunately, Salsa has stopped dealers from selling online.

When I try to purchase and check out I get this message:

Your order can not currently be shipped, as one or more items are restricted to local in store pickup.
    I'll try talking to someone at Salsa on Monday to see what options I have.

Quote Originally Posted by jmhtx View Post
    Unfortunately, Salsa has stopped dealers from selling online.

When I try to purchase and check out I get this message:

I'll try talking to someone at Salsa on Monday to see what options I have.
    My bad. Didn't look close enough at the options. Good luck with your search.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I contacted Salsa directly and they are working on a solution with my LBS. Hope that means I will have one soon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Bike: 2013 Fargo 2 Purchased last fall so I have few miles thus far.
    Comment: Most of my riding (~80%) is on logging roads and accessing via tarred roads. Still have the original Race Kings, which seem slow. This spring my rides have all been on tar since there are still a couple feet of snow in the woods and some dirt roads. While spinning down the road I seem to be getting to the top end pretty easily. On a faster set of tires I think it would be too easy.
    Questions:
    What would you recommend for a faster rolling tire?
    Would the shifting be compromised by one or both chain rings being replaced with larger ones? I'd probably try to keep the low end one and just replace the higher.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Comment: Most of my riding (~80%) is on logging roads and accessing via tarred roads. Still have the original Race Kings, which seem slow. This spring my rides have all been on tar since there are still a couple feet of snow in the woods and some dirt roads. While spinning down the road I seem to be getting to the top end pretty easily. On a faster set of tires I think it would be too easy.
    Questions:
    Would the shifting be compromised by one or both chain rings being replaced with larger ones? I'd probably try to keep the low end one and just replace the higher.
    Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by cryoftheloon View Post
    Questions:
    Thanks in advance.
    I'm swapping tires for the club roost CX tire but there are a lot of wide CX/Skinny MTB tires that would work (small block 8's, narrower Conti Race Kings, etc.) Difficult to spread more teeth in the chainrings. Might be better to go to a triple.

mtbr member
    Just picked up a Fargo 3 yesterday, super pumped to finally have one! Just looking at it makes me want to bolt any and everything to this bike: racks, bags, bottle cages, my 2 year old, etc. this bike is awesome.The Salsa Fargo Thread-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Nice! looking good. I think I have spent more on crap I have put on the bike then the bike itself.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

I'm in...
    Jan 2011
    How did that eVent Dry Bag strapped to your handle bar hold up in the rain?
    GRAPHIC DESIGN : PRINT : SOLUTIONS
    assembly1.net