Page 15 of 112 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast
    Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    Nice valve caps.

You'll love the bike.
    I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WTB-rider
    Mine, finally complete. Still need to do to some tweaking.

WTB Rider what size Fargo are you riding? Is that a small?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I just bought an XL Fargo frameset from my LBS, and when they went to cut the fork down a bit, they messed up and cut it too short. They solved this by purchasing a second frameset (small) and swapped the forks. The cut fork was long enough for the small frame, and the new fork was long enough for my XL frame. However, I just realized that the two forks have different rake (55mm for the S and 50 mm for the XL).

From what I can tell, the main purpose of this rake difference was to give the smaller frames more toe clearance, so the small frame may have issues, should I be concerned about an additional 5 mm of rake on my XL?

On a side note, I will be building this frame up with an Alfine wheelset. I'll add some posts later to show how that works out.

mikE

Spud State Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrythewound
    By side racks do you mean the stuff sack "cages"? Those looked like they had 3 mounting points. Do you know if those 3 line up with the 3 points on the Fargo fork? I still have not had cause to use the 3rd for a toe strap to keep the bottles in, guess the new cages are still pretty tight on the bottles
    side racks....what are these side racks? I need more racks.....yes, I have issues.

those are Rollercams...
    Quote Originally Posted by dlavi
    WTB Rider what size Fargo are you riding? Is that a small?

Yep, it's a small. I am one short mofo

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

Down South Yooper
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug_ID
    side racks....what are these side racks? I need more racks.....yes, I have issues.
    There's some pics up on Martini's site, scroll down:

http://theprairiepeddler.blogspot.com/

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

mtbr member
    I don't know that you can really feel 5mm of rake. The 29er boards are all awash with discussion regarding changing forks from 38mm to 44m rake (basically, gen1 29er suspension forks to gen 2). My off the cuff guess is that it's worth about a degree of head angle... hold on, by a quick calculation here, I see a full degree is of head angle adjust has a bit more effect than 5mm of offset. Which is a roundabout way of saying it probably won't be a huge difference, but it will make the bike a bit quicker handling.

But I'd still ask your LBS to get the correct fork on there.

Quote Originally Posted by tswg
    I just bought an XL Fargo frameset from my LBS, and when they
    went to cut the fork down a bit, they messed up and cut it too short. They solved this by purchasing a second frameset (small) and swapped the forks. The cut fork was long enough for the small frame, and the new fork was long enough for my XL frame. However, I just realized that the two forks have different rake (55mm for the S and 50 mm for the XL).

From what I can tell, the main purpose of this rake difference was to give the smaller frames more toe clearance, so the small frame may have issues, should I be concerned about an additional 5 mm of rake on my XL?

On a side note, I will be building this frame up with an Alfine wheelset. I'll add some posts later to show how that works out.

mikE
    Last edited by seat_boy; 03-01-2010 at 06:12 PM.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy
    I don't know that you can really feel 5mm of rake. The 29er boards are all awash with discussion regarding changing forks from 38mm to 44m rake (basically, gen1 29er suspension forks to gen 2). My off the cuff guess is that it's worth about a degree of head angle... hold on, by a quick calculation here, I see a full degree is of head angle adjust has a bit more effect than 5mm of offset. Which is a roundabout way of saying it probably won't be a huge difference, but it will make the bike a bit quicker handling.

But I'd still ask your LBS to get the correct fork on there.
    Well, as one who has messed with swapping out several forks on 29"ers with offsets from 38mm to 51mm and axle to crown measurements from 420mm to well over 500mm, I can say that keeping everything else the same, yes, you can notice a bit of a difference. Does it make the bike all squirrely and hard to handle? No.

But as you say, I would want what was meant to be on it from the designer's point of view. Obviously the geometry was optimized around specific parameters. I would respect that, even though it may handle okay without the proper offset for that size frame.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Yes the larger rake in the small frames helps with toe overlap, but the primary reason for the two offset forks is to keep the handling consistent and appropriate across the line up.

The XL and XXL frames have 71deg head angles. The smaller frames 70. The 55 offset fork on the 70deg head angle produces a certain trail number, which helps define the overal steering and handling of the 3 smaller frames combined with each size's wheelbase and a whole pile of other factors.

The two larger frames are longer in TT and thus wheel base. The head angle can be steepend to 71 as toe overlap is less of an issue and keeps the WB from growing too huge. Then the rake is adjusted accordingly to bring the trail back up to a point where the larger bikes retain a balance and feel similar to the smaller frames. Running a 55offset fork on the 71deg HTA will produce a quicker front end than was originally intended.

But, your bike will still work, and I guarantee it won't spontaneously explode.

Enjoyin' life....
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    But as you say, I would want what was meant to be on it from the designer's point of view. Obviously the geometry was optimized around specific parameters. I would respect that, even though it may handle okay without the proper offset for that size frame.
    You did buy a frame and fork and its not your fault the fork was cut too short. Salsa does sell Fargo forks independently...they are painted black, at least the ones I've seen or the LBS might be able to approach Salsa and buy a warranty hold over fork - many manufacturers hold over painted, matching parts to satisfy warranty claims and such. Whatever, there are avenues to getting you a fork though. Insist on having the correct one.
    Wally

Professional Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum
    There's some pics up on Martini's site, scroll down:

http://theprairiepeddler.blogspot.com/

Plum
    From the looks of the pics, those fork racks use evenly spaced screws (on a demo fork). I wonder if they will make a version that will work with the 3 mounting points on each fork arm of the Fargo...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarf
    But, your bike will still work, and I guarantee it won't spontaneously explode.
    I don't know... I am putting it together myself, so I wouldn't go so far as to guarantee that.

Down South Yooper
    From the looks of the pics, those fork racks use evenly spaced screws (on a demo fork). I wonder if they will make a version that will work with the 3 mounting points on each fork arm of the Fargo...
    I'd be very surprised if the racks were designed around a layout that did not match the Fargo/Vaya 3 bolt fork layout. Especially since they're coming out with another fork with that layout as well, the Enabler 135mm fork.

I'm trying to remember, but I think the 3 bolt arrangment may be a common arrangment with the blackburn monster cage (for holding store bought bottled water) or the Ibis Hot-unit thermos cage, but I've never used/had either, so I can't speak with any authority. Also in that respect, I'm not sure either product was popular enough to set a 'standard' for spacing.

I'm guessing those with a spacing other than the fargo 3 bolt spacing will be coming up with a work around to fit the racks, not the other way around.

Plum

Professional Amateur
    (snip) the 3 bolt arrangment may be a common arrangment with the blackburn monster cage (for holding store bought bottled water) or the Ibis Hot-unit thermos cage
    Plum (snip)
    In my excitement I read your post as "store bought bottled BEER". I have been thinking of a way to modify a standard cage to securely hold a beer (there are many occasions where this would prove useful). Any tried and true methods out there or will that Blackburn hold beer as well?

those are Rollercams...
    I'm trying to remember, but I think the 3 bolt arrangment may be a common arrangment with the blackburn monster cage (for holding store bought bottled water) or the Ibis Hot-unit thermos cage, but I've never used/had either, so I can't speak with any authority. Also in that respect, I'm not sure either product was popular enough to set a 'standard' for spacing.
    Plum
    The third bottle braze-on found on the fork legs is to secure a toe strap to wrap around large bottles carried in the fork mounted cages. BTW, neither the Blackburn B-52 Bomber cage (for carrying 1.5L spring water bottles) nor the Ibis Hot Unit has been available for years. Topeak does make a large cage with 1.5L capacity these days.

Professional Amateur
    The third bottle braze-on found on the fork legs is to secure a toe strap to wrap around large bottles carried in the fork mounted cages. BTW, neither the Blackburn B-52 Bomber cage (for carrying 1.5L spring water bottles) nor the Ibis Hot Unit has been available for years. Topeak does make a large cage with 1.5L capacity these days.

I'm hoping that 3rd braze-on lines up with the new stuff sack mounts Salsa will be coming out with later this year. The pics posted above look like it might only work with their new fork although, as mentioned, a workaround can be made pretty easily should the mounting points not line up exactly

Down South Yooper
    I'm hoping that 3rd braze-on lines up with the new stuff sack mounts Salsa will be coming out with later this year. The pics posted above look like it might only work with their new fork although, as mentioned, a workaround can be made pretty easily should the mounting points not line up exactly
    The new fork mounts shown are the same as the fargo mounts. I'm guessing the primary market for these racks is intended to be the fargo/vaya crowd.

Plum

Professional Amateur
    The new fork mounts shown are the same as the fargo mounts. I'm guessing the primary market for these racks is intended to be the fargo/vaya crowd.

Plum
    Thanks again, I won't keep pestering the thread with my inquisitive and speculative comments, but after repeated close examination of the pics on the prariepeddler link you posted those mounts really look equidistant from one another and they are on a fork different from the Fargo. the top braze on on my Fargo is not equally spaced compared to the bottom two. I know these mounts are prototypes so I'll just hush and wait for Salsa to come out with the final (and Fargo-compatible) version.

Thanks for the info!

those are Rollercams...
    Fortunately, the Salsa crew is on here pretty frequently so an answer should be forthcoming. I have to think those cages would be compatible with the Fargo and Vaya forks.

Harmonius Wrench
    Here's a pic I took at Frostbike of the Enabler Fork with the Everything Cages mounted to it. You can see clearly that the cage has three equidistant mounting points.

I just checked my Fargo in the kitchen, (Yes- it is in the kitchen in the corner! ) and the upper braze on is much closer to the middle, so apparently the Everything Cage would need to be slightly modded before production to accommodate a Fargo fork, at least.

Hopefully that can be done, because I would agree that it would be an oversight on Salsa's part not to do that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Salsa Fargo Thread-frostbike10-017.jpg  

Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

those are Rollercams...
    I wonder if a growler will fit into those cages?

Down South Yooper
    Here's a pic I took at Frostbike of the Enabler Fork with the Everything Cages mounted to it. You can see clearly that the cage has three equidistant mounting points.

I just checked my Fargo in the kitchen, (Yes- it is in the kitchen in the corner! ) and the upper braze on is much closer to the middle, so apparently the Everything Cage would need to be slightly modded before production to accommodate a Fargo fork, at least.

Hopefully that can be done, because I would agree that it would be an oversight on Salsa's part not to do that.
    I stand corrected, Thanks Ted. All the writeups I've seen on the enabler identified the fork braze ons to be like the Fargo, but i guess they are different. My mistake, sorry for the mis-information..

Plum

Harmonius Wrench
    I stand corrected, Thanks Ted. All the writeups I've seen on the enabler identified the fork braze ons to be like the Fargo, but i guess they are different. My mistake, sorry for the mis-information..

Plum
    Well, no worries. I could have it slightly wrong as well.

It might be, for instance, that the Everything Cage has slotted mounting holes, in which case it "could" work with a Fargo fork. That I don't know, and I forgot to even ask about that when I was standing there for what..............three or four hours?

Ya think I'd have thought about that in that amount of time!

I hope it comes out Fargo compatible, because I think that would be smart. The other thing I see here is disc cable routing. I wonder if you would have to run spacers to clear a disc brake cable, or maybe it would be just as easy to route the cable alongside the Everything Cage.

Ahhh! So many questions! We'll find out soon enough, I'm sure!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

those are Rollercams...
    Well, no worries. I could have it slightly wrong as well.

It might be, for instance, that the Everything Cage has slotted mounting holes, in which case it "could" work with a Fargo fork. That I don't know, and I forgot to even ask about that when I was standing there for what..............three or four hours?

Ya think I'd have thought about that in that amount of time!

I hope it comes out Fargo compatible, because I think that would be smart. The other thing I see here is disc cable routing. I wonder if you would have to run spacers to clear a disc brake cable, or maybe it would be just as easy to route the cable alongside the Everything Cage.

Ahhh! So many questions! We'll find out soon enough, I'm sure!
    C'mon GT, you were with Ben, the beer was flowing and there was all that food...

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    C'mon GT, you were with Ben, the beer was flowing and there was all that food...
    That was the night before! Hehehe...

those are Rollercams...
    Quote Originally Posted by benwitt11
    That was the night before! Hehehe...

Ahhh, hangover!

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    Ahhh, hangover!
    I'll vouch for everyone there. We were all perfectly well behaved gentlemen. I think we were in bed by 11:00. Ha!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    After a year or so of thinking. hemming and hawing, this morning my Long Haul Trucker was stripped of it's seat and racks and has left for it's new home. Replacement will be a Fargo XT complete. I feel like I've gone and joined a cult or something.

those are Rollercams...
    Quote Originally Posted by sfuller
    After a year or so of thinking. hemming and hawing, this morning my Long Haul Trucker was stripped of it's seat and racks and has left for it's new home. Replacement will be a Fargo XT complete. I feel like I've gone and joined a cult or something.
    Welcome fellow Fargonaut, I recently became one myself!

those are Rollercams...
    Oh yeah, we're on facebook too.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=65312348194

Enjoyin' life....
    Cult? Nah. What cult? I had a nice ride on my Fargo today although it was quite chilly on my newly shaved head...time to light some incense and chant for awhile.
    Wally

those are Rollercams...
    After a little dialing. Swapped out the super high stem, tossed the butt ugly Shimano ring guard for a Salsa model and added a few necessities. Don't have much time on it yet but I'm loving this bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Salsa Fargo Thread-fargo3a-600-x-450-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Any thoughts on the WTB Vulpine tires?

Planning to ride the GDMBR this summer. Looks like they should be ok,but this will be my first foray into dirt road touring The Schwalbe marathon's would be my second choice. Any opinions are welcome. Thanks, Harry

mtbr member
    Doing the same trip this summer and sticking with the Vulpines. I think the fast roll on smoother terrain will out weigh any rear tire slippage problems during climbs. Climbed a steep wet grassy hill today and it was just a matter of getting my weight in the right place to stop the slipping and you can tip the bike a bit to get the sides to bite in.

I might carry an extra tire might not.

Harmonius Wrench
    I' ve rolled Vulpines for quite awhile now. They are an excellent balance between hard surfaced riding and dirt roads. Great gravel road tires too.

I've run them tubeless as well as tubed, so you can get them to work well either way you choose to go there.

Another tire not mentioned here but would be an excellent choice is the Continental Race King. Better grip on dirt and especially single track, if your trips lean more towards less paved roads. These can also handle going tubeless really well.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Maiden voyage

Recieved my Fargo aweek ago and other than adjustment rides and one short ride in the rain around town on streets and walking paths, I finally got to put it through its paces. I spent all weekend in Monterey CA helping put on the Norcal High School MTB league season opener. The bike proved to be a true work horse and alot of fun at the same time, it seemed to get alot of attention, especialy when loaded with gear bombing out on the course.

Bottom line, I love this bike, for the next couple of months it's main job will be setting up these races and running a few errands around town. I put a Paul flatbed on the front( the bar basket was used for my clipboard and folders in the venue, but was removed when out on the course and trails). I ordered panniers but they hadn't arrived in time, so I picked up some cheap ones at OSH the night before we left and they worked fine for carrying stakes, signs, hammers and other gear needed for setting up. I also was able to move all sorts of gear weaving through hundreds of people in the pit and venue area very quickly, i don't think I will be able to get by without it at these races.

I will make some changes as time permits(first will be the shifters, there cumbersome and just in the way). I was originaly planning on running H-bars which I run on most of my bikes, but i am going to keep the Bell Laps on for awhile, I like all the different hand options.

I ended up buying a large, I made my final decision based on standover mainly. I was also not sure about the difference in the head angle with the XL and may even try the Xl's fork on my large to see if it increases stability( you can pile alot of stuff on that flatbed front rack)
    At some point I plan on doing some distance on and off road and will switch the front rack to something more like the Nitto or the new Salsa for these adventures.

Ride On,
    Scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Salsa Fargo Thread-fargo-season-opener.jpg  

Professional Amateur
    I got a set of Woodchippers and in the process of getting bar tape and planning on moving my Bell Lap bars over to the road bike realized something. The Fargo comes stock with a 26.0 mm clamp stem for the Bell Laps. The Woodchippers I just got are 25.4. So now I have to get another stem too? I suppose this is a chance to upgrade but an additional fee I did not count on. I have heard of people using coke can shims to make this work but I don't think I want to go that route.

those are Rollercams...
    I got a set of Woodchippers and in the process of getting bar tape and planning on moving my Bell Lap bars over to the road bike realized something. The Fargo comes stock with a 26.0 mm clamp stem for the Bell Laps. The Woodchippers I just got are 25.4. So now I have to get another stem too? I suppose this is a chance to upgrade but an additional fee I did not count on. I have heard of people using coke can shims to make this work but I don't think I want to go that route.
    No need to upgrade or go ghetto, just get one of these. Your LBS probably stocks them.

http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?m...3&currency=USD

Ballstein Models
    A little Fargeaux updating. I decided to get a bit blingy with green Chris King bits. I also had these pornographic white rimmed and white spoked 29er wheels begging for some mudd road dirt. A couple of Epic Designs bags complement the setup. Looking forward to the B.A.L.L.S. ride next month.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Salsa Fargo Thread-img_0866.jpg  

The Salsa Fargo Thread-img_0867.jpg  

The Salsa Fargo Thread-img_0869.jpg  

The Salsa Fargo Thread-img_0868.jpg  

The Salsa Fargo Thread-img_0870.jpg  

The source for mountain biking information in the Madison Wisconsin Area:

Capital Off Road Pathfinders

Professional Amateur
    Whoa, thats a pretty "no expense was spared" setup! I dig the bottle opener and I have been meaning to get another bottle cap headset top for this bike. I didn't even know Hope made stems!

Ballstein Models
    Yeah, I got a bit out of hand. It is also a pretty big change from back in post #269. Trying to use all of my willpower to resist a set of those beautiful wood fenders.

mtbr member
    I like the setup Hogprint. Which size Top Contact Tires are you running? Are those the 37mm or something bigger?

Ballstein Models
    Thanks, ATXSS. They are folding 47's. I have a bud in Germany that got 'em there and sent them to me. Tried to get the 52's but no luck in the folding.

mtbr member
    Can anyone help me out on Fargo touring accessories. I'm looking at fenders, front & rear racks and bags to go with it. I shop at these online shops chainreaction, and wiggle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

I have Surly nice racks front and back.

Heavy ,expensive ,but they sure wont break. I have Ortlieb panniers on order. Look at Thetouringstore.com They sell Tubus racks, Ortlieb and Lone Peak. Really good prices and information. Harry

mtbr member
    Another Fargo outing.

My outdoor blog: www.yetirides.com

mtbr member
    yeah. It's a shame those 47's aren't readily avialable in the US. I'm looking at the new Swhalbe marathon "dureme." Those appear to be available in a 50c - pricey though.

mtbr member
    Anybody have the original WTB Salsa saddle from their Fargo that they may wish to part with?
    Thanks, James

mtbr member

My Fargo training plan

40 pound Henry + 24 pound Sam + 22 pound Kate + 12 pound child seat + 15(?) pound trailer + etc = a good workout.

Despite looking a little glum, Kate was actually having a good time up front!

mtbr member
    looks like a good family outing, plus daddy's getting a good strength training pulling those weighted kids