Page 15 of 168 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 65 115 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Thanks Martin for clarifying a point!

From your video I can see that the fargo can eat up the rough terrain quite nicely!!

Did you get any back pain or any pain in the hands because of not having suspension?

Thanks!
    Last edited by hesher; 08-25-2009 at 05:17 AM. Reason: Apparently Papajoe is Martin :)

Harmonius Wrench

Excellent!!

Martn- That video is great. I noticed a few things in it:

-A Fargo set up for bikepacking can go to some pretty rad places!
    -Riding rigid is okay, even in dual suspension land. You just need to pick the right lines.
    -The nose wheelie where you stopped to refresh at the spring- nice!!
    - A refreshing break from all the helmet cam angles posted lately!

Great work on the video. Well done. I really enjoyed that.

And that pic of the Fargo under the stars?

Priceless!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Really sweet video. Nice work! Some day I want to come ride with you in Germany.

I was trying to figure out who the band was. Nebula. Thanks for that. They sound a great deal like one of my personal fave bands Fu Man Chu.
    Kid Riemer

mtbr member

First ride=love

Hi all,

Just got my Fargo built today (pics to follow). On my first ride I decided I love the bike, but the gearing isn't quite right. I have an XT 44-32-22 crank and I think I want to go the 48-36-26 route Salsa does with their complete bike. Anyone know if I can go to that chainring setup and keep my M770 front derailleur? It seems Shimano makes a specific one for the 48t chainring. First long ride next weekend.

Thanks!
    Dan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flakbait
    I have an XT 44-32-22 crank and I think I want to go the 48-36-26 route Salsa does with their complete bike. Anyone know if I can go to that chainring setup and keep my M770 front derailleur?
    FWIW, I once tried to go in the opposite direction: tried to use a derailer from a 48/36/26 chainring set with a 44/32/22 set. It was a terrible match. It didn't work well at all. I gave up and bought the correct derailer for the cranks that I was running.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
    FWIW, I once tried to go in the opposite direction: tried to use a derailer from a 48/36/26 chainring set with a 44/32/22 set. It was a terrible match. It didn't work well at all. I gave up and bought the correct derailer for the cranks that I was running.

Thanks, I think I'll just get a new derailleur to avoid headaches. Here's the bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I've found the high mount/bottom pull front derailleurs to be ideal on the Fargo. They offer tons of mud clearance over the low mount. These have worked on two Fargo's for me, both with 48, 36, 22 setups. One without shift ramps on the rings at all, one with ramps that are now nearly gone after 1000's of miles.

The bike is looking clean. I assume you'll cut the steerer after getting fit dialed?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMKM
    I've found the high mount/bottom pull front derailleurs to be ideal on the Fargo. They offer tons of mud clearance over the low mount. These have worked on two Fargo's for me, both with 48, 36, 22 setups. One without shift ramps on the rings at all, one with ramps that are now nearly gone after 1000's of miles.

The bike is looking clean. I assume you'll cut the steerer after getting fit dialed?
    Thanks! Ordered a new derailleur with the new chainrings. Hopefully I can sell the others. Cutting the steerer tomorrow at work. Definitely not going to need the bar any higher than it is. You can get a 36-22 shift to work? or did you mean 36-26?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Nope, it is a 36-22. I wanted the 22 for a bailout on the divide.

mtbr member

Frame bag capacity?

I haven't been able to find the capacity of the Epic Design frame bags. Does anybody know what it would be for the flared and non-flared version or even for the seat bags? This would be good information for anyone wrestling with pannier vs. frame bag or combined system questions.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    From the Epic Website

Seat Bag:
    Standard: 600-800 cu in (13L ish)
    Super Twinke: 800-1000++ cu in (16L ish)

Frame Bag obviously depends on your frame size. It should be approximately the inside height of your frame triangle times the inside length, in inches. (Assume a triangle, 2 inches wide times the area)

mtbr member

Salsa Fargo / Epic Design bag capacities

I asked Eric what the sizes were as well. Here is what he had to say:

Hi Nathan,
    This should help, generally I try to avoid calculating volumes and try more to put it into gear size terms.
    The handlebar harness works best with dry bags in the 10-18L range, then the front pocket holds another 250 cu in.
    The seat bag is quite variable, but it holds about 10L give or take, I'd say 8-12L is the real range.
    Frame bags - I make then 2.5" wide which goes to about 3" wide in the middle which can expand a bit wider between dividers. So that X the area of the triangle. The 20" is quite a bit larger than the 18" fargo. To those who have not used them before, most people are amazed at how much you can carry in them.
    Cheers,
    Eric

So I treated the frame triangle as if it were square at the seat tube and top tube and estimated a conservative 7L using 2.5" for the width. It is conservative because I did not account for the change in width over the area of the bag. I also don't have physical measurements, just those on the Salsa website. And there are custom features or the flared option to consider.

So my rough estimates are:

Seat bag 8 - 12 L
    Frame bag 7 - 10 L
    Handlebar Harness 10 - 18 L

mtbr member

w/ Speed City Wheels-

Here is my Fargo in commuter mode. 700c Mavic Speed City wheels, WTB Pathway tire (32mm). This also works for most of the hard pack gravel and dirt so far. A bit skittish on steep descents where the road has been recently graded without a tire tracks remade. I mounted a pair of Conti cross tires to the Salsa 29 in wheels for a bit more contact when the gravel conditions are not so ideal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JMKM
    Nope, it is a 36-22. I wanted the 22 for a bailout on the divide.
    I think I remember reading somewhere that you are running a 16-27t 6 speed set up. What full cassette does that spider come from?

I was thinking about running a 17-34 xt cassette, but a 16-27 might work better for what I want...depending on chainring set up I end up on too. ...Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jayb, that's a really nice pic of your Fargo and the fall leaves are just the right backdrop for your bike. Do you use more cables to lock up your bike? I would be paranoid about bike thieves stealing it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    ee ay ess,

I ran a 12-34 cassette on the divide and a 12-27 cassette around Minnesota. I've not tried a 6-Speed cassette setup.

mtbr member
    Fargal, Thanks. Yes it look precarious, but it is only a few feet from and in full view of the front desk and would be a pretty ballsy move to take it as everyone knows me as the 'freak' who rides to work. Ha!

mtbr member
    May 2008

Back

Greetings
    I'm just getting back to this forum to post a few pics and parts regarding my fargo build. This forum helped me a lot when I was trying to piece my bike together. Now that I have 1600 miles under my fargo tires - I'd like to mention all 1600 miles the bike has been rigged as a fully loaded touring mule. I'd also like to say that at the end of July I finished an 850 mile tour from Vancouver BC up up the big hill Cayoosh over north to Mt Robson then down to Alberta ending at the big dern rodeo. The bike was stellar. I mean that. The whole tour was great time and I just can't wait unitl the my two week X-mas break so I can load up and head south.

Had the ss-couplers installed so I could fly the bike to touring destinations. The concept works with some fussing at packing time - but worth it in the end.

Notables - The front deraileur is sooo sweet, the flat dimension h-bars are a nice change, the platform pedals grip my shoes nicely. I switched the low ring on the Sugino to a 24....and OH, that bike lock is just too heavy to take on a tour -period. That lock is very nice to have around town though.

Shimano Dura-Ace 7700 BS77 Bar End Shifter
    Phil Wood Rear Disc Hub
    Cane Creek S8 Headset
    Dimension Flat Top Bar
    Shimano FD-M773 XT Front Derailleur
    Avid Mountain BB7 Disc Brakes 2009
    Tektro RL520 Brake Levers
    White Industries Bottom Bracket
    Cinelli Gel Cork Tape
    Phil Wood QR Front Disc Hub
    Mavic A719 Rim
    Wheelsmith Straight Guage Spokes
    Wheelsmith Nipples
    Sugino XD600 Crankset
    Schwalbe Marathon Cross Tire
    Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit U-Lock
    Shimano Deore CS-M510 Cassette
    Deda Elementi Logo Stem
    Brooks B17 Special Saddle
    Salsa Shaft Seatpost
    Shimano RD-M771 XT Rear Deraillier
    Sugino 74/110mm Standard Rings
    Wellgo MG-4 Magnesium Pedals
    Sram PC-971 Chain
    SKS P50 Fenders 700c/26"
    Thanks for looking. Mike edit: sorry all -Looks like I'll be posting the pictures later.
    Last edited by mrpincher; 09-27-2009 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Picture files too large - will get back to the photo's later

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm replacing the cables/housing on my Fargo along with some other parts...and I'm not sure, but I think I remember the rear cables needing to be tandem length? Anyone know for sure? Is it both brake and derailleur?

The first time setting it up I just ran whatever I had in my parts bin and got a rear brake cable from the LBS...would like to run better stuff this time around and want to get the right thing!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    EE AY ESS,

Yes, you should use tandem cables for both shift and der. housing. I tend to run my cables under the bar tape for both shift and brake. It keeps the bars clean looking and makes shifts quite easy.

lowdesertpunk
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Riemer
    Really sweet video. Nice work! Some day I want to come ride with you in Germany.

I was trying to figure out who the band was. Nebula. Thanks for that. They sound a great deal like one of my personal fave bands Fu Man Chu.
    yeah, nebula are great. i'm gonna see them next week (maybe even twice). they're an awesome live band too. and actually the founding members played in fu manchu before they split and started nebula, so your association is no coincidence.

thanks for the feedback on the photos and the video guys! i appreciate it.

and gt, as you mentioned dual suspension land... here's some bonus material: http://vimeo.com/6435062

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by papajoe

thanks for the feedback on the photos and the video guys! i appreciate it.

and gt, as you mentioned dual suspension land... here's some bonus material: http://vimeo.com/6435062
    Hey, you are welcome and thank you for posting/taking the time to make the videos. Very cool.

On the bonus: Nice! I like the two FS rigs, then seeing the Fargo, which just really sticks out like a sore thumb. That is really great! Thanks again.

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuanswan
    Here's Fargo version 1.5 for me. I did the Mary Bar conversion that was shown by MG, and I switched to the 2.55 Weirwolf in front. These modifications definitely make for a better singletrack and rough-road Fargo, at least for me. On my first singletrack ride I was able to clean an obstacle that I'd never been able to come close on using the drop bars. I used the same stem as before and it seems OK; maybe a a little high but I can deal with it for the moment.

Version 2.0 will probably be a tubeless system on wider rims. The other issue I need to think about is the result of going 2000' downhill in 3 miles on some of the jeep roads around here. I've been told that the BB7s don't work that well with larger rotors. Should I go hyrdaulic? Or just stop more often?
    Nice... That's hot. Once you go tubeless, you're gonna' be super stoked. As for the brakes, I'm kind of struggling with the same question you are. I think I'm going to go with a big rotor first, then will likely ultimately go with hydraulic brakes. It's probably inevitable...

The Fargo is a radical ride with the upside-down Mary though, isn't it? It opens up a whole new world of riding possibilities without any real downsides. I like it.

Nice work, my friend.

Cheers,
    MG

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    So I was cleaning my Fargo yesterday- and found what seems to be a crack on the underside of the BB that stops half way on the top side No where near the welds- maybe 4cm in from the BB spacers. At first i thought it was oil or road grime.......but.

It is clearly a crack that when you rub your nail over it- is obvious. The bike shop where i picked it up from is open late tomorrow so i'll take it in for a closer look.

I'm hoping that it is the paint that has cracked- but even so- it has been ridden for 2 months on a 15KM daily road commute- so hardly what I would call stressful on the bike.

Has anyone else experienced cracking of the enamel like (?) paint or tubes?

I'll post photos once i have the bike shop take of the cracks etc to examine it. Needless to say- this is a first for me.........but i'm sure i'll be looked after what ever it is.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Here is a pic. I'll update what the LBS says tonight. The hair line crack runs from here all the way to centre of cable guide on bottom....

super large image here:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2662/...5d781d80_o.jpg

Isn't she pretty though....

Page 15 of 168 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 65 115 ... LastLast