Page 125 of 173 FirstFirst ... 25 75 115 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 135 ... LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,125 of 4302
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I've been a roadie for 30+ years and an occasional mountain biker for almost that long. I saw a Fargo a few years back at the show in Vegas, been thinking about buying one ever since. I finally bought one a few months back and have been riding it more and more. It's a ton of fun.

Kudos to Salsa for creating something out of the box!

I work in .001 tolerances

Re: The Salsa Fargo Thread

And so the fun begins...:thumbup:

Built up 1x8 with 700x38 WTB's on a '12 frame.
    First 'real' ride of many tonight. This is my do anything go anywhere be everything bike.

So fresh I haven't even made a frame Pak for it yet.
    Love at first ride

Last edited by HomegrownMN; 04-19-2013 at 08:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

My Salsa with racks

Here is my fargo with front and rear racks, in progress
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Salsa Fargo Thread-image.jpg  

The Salsa Fargo Thread-image.jpg  

The Salsa Fargo Thread-image.jpg  

Spud State Rider
    Newb bikepacker bag setup. Heading out tomorrow for an overnight shakedown ride.

Fargo Bikepacking prep by Doug in Idaho, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    "Doug - what is that front bag? I get the sleeping bag on top but what is below? Fargo in Boise."

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_ID View Post
    Newb bikepacker bag setup. Heading out tomorrow for an overnight shakedown ride.

Fargo Bikepacking prep by Doug in Idaho, on Flickr

Spud State Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by cfpete View Post
    "Doug - what is that front bag? I get the sleeping bag on top but what is below? Fargo in Boise."
    That is a Bedrock Entrada handlebar bag: Bedrock bags and packs: Entrada handlebar bag

I have my tent, inflatable sleeping pad, and the sleeping pad seat/chair packed in there.............tight fit though.

Spud State Rider

I work in .001 tolerances
    On a very cold and snowy day (in April) here in Denver, I want to say thank you for the warm pics! ^^

Ride and Smile

Spud State Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by HomegrownMN View Post
    On a very cold and snowy day (in April) here in Denver, I want to say thank you for the warm pics! ^^

Ride and Smile
    It was sunny but not quite as warm as it looked.....upper 40's and strong winds.

mtbr member
    fargonauts,

I need your help. I am 5'7" and am riding a 16" 2012 fun guy green Fargo. Per salsa's website I am right in the middle of the recommended height for the 16". I have been riding it for a year and love it.

Yet . . .

Something doesn't feel right. Maybe the head tube angle is wrong, I don't know. I just know that I feel tightness in my lower back and upper part of my spine near my neck damn near every time I ride this bike lately.

It's a built up frameset with Midge bars, bar end shifters, 100mm Ritchey 6deg stem flipped negative and a Thomson lay back seat post. I had a small salsa mukluks which was too small a frame for me. I am wondering if perhaps the 16" Fargo is too small and perhaps i need to switch to the next size up?
    Don't know if this helps but it feels as though I am riding on top of the bike as opposed to riding in the bike, a weird phrase I know.

All and any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks
    "Ride what you love, love what you ride"

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    To avoid upper back/neck pain I have had to ride with higher and higher bars. bars have to be same height as seat these days. Seem to be tolerant of small differences in top tube lengths so long as bars and seat are level.

Obvious question is do you have a bike available to measure that you are comfortable on? If so, then check distance from front of seat to handle bars and difference in height of the seat and bars.

Bikes such as the Fargo with high front ends do seem to me to measure with long apparent effective top tubes, making correct frame choice more confusing. My Moonlander is 595mm ett and is really comfortable, but I would never normally ride with such a long ett, usually 560 to 570 at most when measured on bikes years ago with lower front ends.

Brian

mtbr member
    jd,

I am 5'10" and could not go any bigger than a medium. I really can't see you on a medium, so it will come down to set up. Can you post some pics of the bike?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yes, pix would be helpful. Can you get someone to photo you on the bike?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicCarpet View Post
    jd,

I am 5'10" and could not go any bigger than a medium. I really can't see you on a medium, so it will come down to set up. Can you post some pics of the bike?
    Same here, 5'10" w/31" inseam and a medium fits me well.
    I tried a large but it was clearly too big for me.

mtbr member
    Hi all. Thanks for the replies. I don't have any pics of me on the bike yet, but will post some soon. In the interim, I think the problem lies with the flipped (negative) stem and the Midge bars. The Midge bars don't extend as far back as the Woodchippers do. I flipped the stem to give more extension on the front end to accommodate the Midge bars.

Perhaps if I were to "right" the stem and put Woodchippers on instead, I wouldn't have the problems I'm experiencing?
    "Ride what you love, love what you ride"

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'm on a medium. 9cm stem. Woodchipper.
    Setup pic below. Bars are 'high' for a road or cross setup. But in a good place for single track and dirt road bikepacking for me.

Salsa Fargo, Woodchipper Setup by mbeganyi, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

salsa fargo fit

I am 5'10" and would choose a medium, but the chance to buy a large which had only done 10 miles came up and after checking the ETT was shorter than my medium Moonlander I decided to risk it. I could always use a shorter lower stem or swap out the frame for a medium as a last resort.

Bike arrived this afternoon and although a little bit big in terms of a mountain bike, she is very comfortable on the bike and feels like I would not want the bars any closer.

I do need high bars these days (62 years old) and she feels great. An off road touring bike, not so much a drop bar mountain bike.

Some pics,

at Keyhaven

Behind the sea wall, overlooking the salt marshes

Me, 5'10" sitting very comfortably

and my son Ed, 5'11" trying her out behind his practice

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2784884...in/photostream

DSCN2159 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Brian

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The good thing about the larger frame is it can handle a larger frame bag too!

I'm 5'10.5 and have a med Fargo Ti. I was at the highest extension with the Thudbuster post that came with it. I have a 110mm 6 stem on it to give me the correct reach. Now my 17yr son may be doing the Divide with me in '14. He is just under 5'8" so he is at the other end of the scale on a medium frame. So now I am may be looking for another medium Fargo. I set up my bike for him to try out for the next couple of weeks but I want it back. I put an 80mm stem and lowered the seat way down for him. Or maybe he can get an El Mariachi so we have something different. We'll just have to see if he likes the drop bars or prefers flat bars.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Um, Hi. This thread is awesome. I signed up for the forum just to participate! On saturday I stumbled into a LBS (looking for a Vaya) and discovered the Fargo. Eventually my search led me here and I read the entire thread over the last few evenings. I think the Fargo is the best bike out there for my current riding goals. I love the mtb-like geometry and handling with tour-ability. I have a nice Cannondale roadie, but in my new city I live very close to a good number of singletrack, doubletrack, and cinder/gravel/dirt roads, that I would like to take advantage of year-round. There are also some great state parks within a days ride in every direction that would be fun for S24O trips. And I need a grocery getter around-towner because my wife and i share a car.

So my question to you all is... do you regret buying the stock build? If you had to do it again would you build your own bike from the ground up?

I've crunched the numbers and it looks like it might be sixes to do a complete slx/xt build on a 2012 frame vs stock 2012 Fargo 2. The other alternative is the 2013 Fargo 3, that blue sure is attractive, and I would most likely get some thumbies and CX levers like phorn above.

Second question is, how many of you prefer the double crank over a triple, or vice-versa and why?

I'm leaning for the triple to make get the biggest possible gear range. I'm well north of 200# so I need the low gears for the uphill grind, and I regularly spin out my 50 tooth road ring on descents.

Cheers for the great resource you've built here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    @kai_ski
    I'm new to this thread as well. Like you, I went the shop looking at a Vaya and a Fargo. I rode both and ended up getting the Fargo 3, ( the blue one).

If money were no object, I would've bought the titanium frame and set it up with a combo of higher end Shimano components and STI shift levers. I'm still getting used to the bar ends, they work fine but I prefer the brake-lever shifters.

There is plenty of steep climbing in my area so I'm good with a triple for the biggest gear ranges. Keep in mind that comparable gearing is higher on 29" wheels compared to 26".

Finally, I vacillated for while about buying the Fargo. I have a garage full of bikes already, but I'm totally happy with the purchase. I still ride my road bike, my FS mountain bike, my beach cruiser, my old beater commuter and now I ride the Fargo as well. The Fargo may not be the best at any one thing but it does it all pretty darn well as an all-arounder IMO. My Fargo - "The Jack Of All Trades" bike.

Harmonius Wrench
    @kai_ski @Crowley: Gearing- I think it depends on how you use-where you ride your Fargo. This bike is an "open palette" and folks will, and have, painted it in very different ways. My two fargos are very differently set up. The gravel/forest road Fargo is a 2X crank while the MTB is a 3X crank, but that's just me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    @kai_ski

I got my new Fargo 2 stock build except a standard seatpost and i kept my old SQ-Lab 612 saddle.
    Ill complete it with a Tubus Cargo and SKS Bluemels, because now it is my only bike.
    Im very happy with my decision.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Well, I sent payment on my "blank canvas" today. A Large Gen1 Fargo with headset and tripe crank installed. Looking forward to building up the rest of the bike!

Does anybody have a Woodchipper bar they want to sell? The dirt-drop bars don't seem to come up too often on the used market (at least from what I can see on ebay.) edit- a mtbr user sold me a woodchipper/stem combo for a great deal. Thanks again!
    Last edited by kai_ski; 04-27-2013 at 12:51 PM.

mtbr member
    The Woodchipper is AU$69 at Wiggle. I think that is just below free shipping for AU, so another small purchase may be worth while if genuinely needed, unless your freepost threshold is lower.

mtbr member

New Fargo Club Member

I test rode a Fargo several years ago and have always wanted one since. I picked mine up on Friday (a 2012 model) and took it out for a 92 mile adventure in the mountains of central PA yesterday. The bike is perfect for the ride yesterday, some paved country lanes, lots of gravel forest service roads, and some double track.
    The Salsa Fargo Thread-fargo1.jpg
    The Salsa Fargo Thread-fargo2.jpg
    The Salsa Fargo Thread-fargo3.jpg
    I can't wait to go on my first bikepacking trip. Hmmm, might have to order me a set of Tour Divide maps?