Page 120 of 166 FirstFirst ... 20 70 110 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 130 ... LastLast
Results 2,976 to 3,000 of 4143
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    SocratesDiedTrolling, patrickever and Bluechip, many thanks for answers and recommendations on Fargo size question! I will go for a Large frame. It seems like a safer bet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Anyone else named their Fargo? I named mine Marge Gunderson since I've wanted to ride her for some time.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rray View Post
    Attachment 770296
    This is a shot of my Breezer Uptown 8 on a grocery run. It has been my much loved all purpose commuter for six years now. Eight speed internal hub. Heavy. Slow. Arkel bags to haul stuff. Versatile.

One ride on a slightly used Fargo 2 last night and it's been replaced.

I commute about 25 miles round trip each day. It's not the intended purpose of the Fargo, but it strikes me as the ultimate urban assault vehicle. I'd love to hear from owners who use it mainly as a commuter.
    I've put the majority of my Fargo miles in commuting. About half of the route is on a rails to trails path. When I first bought the bike, the first half of that was unpaved, with even a small area of singletrack that got me from the road to the path.

Today, the RtT path is 100% paved, but I still have that bit of singletrack to navigate on my there, so it's nice having the stock Race Kings on there. They're nearly worn out, though, and I think when I replace them, I'll get something a little more towards the gravel road end of things and less singletrack-y. So to speak.

I've put a Niner carbon fork on mine, and honestly I think I'm going to switch back to stock. The Niner doesn't ride all that much better than the stock steel fork does. It's also made the bike very, very tail heavy, especially when loaded up. I carry my gear on a Blackburn rear rack, and the front end is so much lighter than the back that I don't like cornering quickly. The Niner also won't accept fenders, which are something I'd like to try out.

I carry a Kuat bottle lock with me and often stop at the store on my way home from work. I can pick up some groceries and throw 'em into the Ortliebs perfectly fine. The staff at the grocery store have gotten used to seeing my weird looking shopping bags.

Anyway, it sounds like your use case is pretty similar to mine. I like being able to do "guerrilla commuting" through shopping malls, office parks, and construction sites, without care of whether or not the bike can hold up to it. A traditional touring bike would probably be faster, but the Fargo makes me feel like I'm 10 years old again, clomping through the woods on my Redline BMX bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by philoanna View Post
    How capable is a Fargo as a MTB? I have a Mukluk that I now use as my only MTB, which is cool, but I have been thinking of adding a flat bar road/gravel/touring/tooling around town with the kids bike.
    if you want a flatbar mtn bike, why not get a mtn bike designed for flatbars? the geometry is not the same. or are you looking at Fargo as an alternative to a flatbar mtb?
    In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    "The geometry is not the same"....

Why don't you enlighten us how since (as I pointed out earlier) the El mariachi is very similar except in TT length?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MicroDrive View Post

Why don't you enlighten us how since (as I pointed out earlier) the El mariachi is very similar except in TT length?

and wheelbase, chainstay length, bb drop, head tube length, and reach. Other than those it's almost identical. Designing a bike for drop or flat bars requires quite a few changes to keep everything in balance. That's why you don't see too many standard mtb's converted to drop bars, or vice versa. It just doesn't work that well. I am not saying that it won't work just that it's probably not going to work for most.

trail rat

Top tube length is THE single most important part of proper bike fit.

You can raise and lower seat height, but changing saddle fore/aft relative to the bottom bracket will radically affect your pedal power, or changing stem length affects how the bike steers and handles. Doing either to make a bike "fit" is a bad idea and detracts from the fun of a bike, especially off road.

Bikes designed for balance with drop bars have shorter top tubes because of longer stems and bar reach to hand positions on hoods or drops; bikes designed for balance flat bars have longer top tubes because of shorter stems and far less bar reach (to your hand position).

Yes, you can run drop bars on a bike designed for flat bars and vice versa, but why make such a large detrimental compromise in a new purchase? If you have to fix a bad purchase with a bad compromise due to budget, do it, but why make the mistake knowingly from the start? That just make no sense to me.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    So the guy was saying "I have been thinking of adding a flat bar road/gravel/touring/tooling around town with the kids bike."

Doesn't sound like he wants to go race cross country on it. Sounds like he wants a fun bike to go play on. Putting a flat bar on a bike which is essentially a mtn bike with a 36mm shorter TT sounds fun to me. Like a big BMX bike, which is the way most of us describe the joy of riding our Fargo.

I'm not going to try and figure out how a 1/4 difference in BB drop is going to change handling and the chainstays are the same length as many other 29er frames. The wheelbase IS shorter...cause it has a shorter TT. Which makes it fun like BMX bike

...and I ran drop bars on my first SS in 1999. The frame was about a size smaller than I usually ride (shorter TT) and I used a short and very upright stem (like the Fargo ships with).

trail rat

Re: The Salsa Fargo Thread

So the guy was saying "I have been thinking of adding a flat bar road/gravel/touring/tooling around town with the kids bike."

Doesn't sound like he wants to go race cross country on it. Sounds like he wants a fun bike to go play on. Putting a flat bar on a bike which is essentially a mtn bike with a 36mm shorter TT sounds fun to me. Like a big BMX bike, which is the way most of us describe the joy of riding our Fargo.

I'm not going to try and figure out how a 1/4 difference in BB drop is going to change handling and the chainstays are the same length as many other 29er frames. The wheelbase IS shorter...cause it has a shorter TT. Which makes it fun like BMX bike

...and I ran drop bars on my first SS in 1999. The frame was about a size smaller than I usually ride (shorter TT) and I used a short and very upright stem (like the Fargo ships with).
    Every bike rider benefits from proper fit not just racers. And if adding a bike, why start with a bad choice? I don't see how poor fit can be fun.

Galaxy Nexus / Tapatalk 2
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Here's some folks who don't agree with you that its the "wrong" bike:

a selection from page one of a google image search for "Salsa Fargo"

mtbr member
    so philoanna, as you can see from th above pics, the Fargo has a long head tube, which can place flatbars fairly high. depending upon your fit, the grips may be above the saddle. combined with the short TT, this is not ideal for weight distro when riding singletrack, the front may be a little light. this is not a problem for tooling around with the kids. and they used to ride beach cruisers on Mt Tam. but there are better ways to do it. so whether this would work for you depends upon intended usage.

why not just stick with dropbars? if you haven't tried drops on dirt, you should. it's so wrong it makes you giggle.
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    fargo is a drop bar touring bike with fat tires!
    want a flat bar touring bike with fat tires?
    try an ogre
    want a mountain bike?
    they make plenty of them

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Just finished my first build; love the drop bar. Best handling bike I ever rode.
    Pat
    Netherlands

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Pat-

What is that funky goodness you have going on with that stem?? Is that some sort of an adjustable stem?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Xx1?

I am in the process of planning a ti fargo build and am intrigued by the xx1 group- are there good solutions for shifting that group with drop bars?

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by threepin View Post
    I am in the process of planning a ti fargo build and am intrigued by the xx1 group- are there good solutions for shifting that group with drop bars?
    Hmm.....not likely. XX-1 is 11 speed, so there is that issue. Beyond fabbing your own custom mount for the triggers, or doing a custom bar end shifter from scratch, I don't think there is currently any off the peg solution.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    if i fabbed a mount is there a location that would work well for triggers?
    i have only used brifters, barcons and down tube shifters with drops

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    In the early 90s when I was riding a drop bar Cannondale mountain bike creation I had come up, and being a poor college student with no money for bar end shifters, I once mounted grip shifters at the ends of a drop bar. Kinda looked funny but worked fine. The other option would be to try to slide the grip shift all the way up the bar and mount it near the stem, if you could get it around the curves of the bar.

Harmonius Wrench
    if i fabbed a mount is there a location that would work well for triggers?
    i have only used brifters, barcons and down tube shifters with drops
    You'd probably want to do it in a similar manner to the vintage WTB mounts or Kelly Take-Offs mounts. Those were mounts that positioned the shifter, (at that time, a thumbie), where your thumbs would be while the hands were in the drops. Right around where the brake lever clamps with the triggers inboard, if that makes sense. I've seen a pic with 9spd SRAM shifters done that way.

Otherwise you might fab a clam shell style mount, like a hydro brake lever has, and use the MatchMaker mount somehow. There probably is a clever way to get it done if you have access to a machine shop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aerotugpilot View Post
    I once mounted grip shifters at the ends of a drop bar. Kinda looked funny but worked fine
    that's what Sheldon Brown used to do when installing Shimano Alfine hubs on Bianchi San Jose frames.

The Salsa Fargo Thread-san-jos8-4.jpg

going 1x10 with a brifter would too easy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    thanks for the inputs folks
    how different is the diameter of the end of a mountain bar and a road bar? from sheldon browns site it seems mtn is 22.2mm and road is 23.8mm

when the grip shift was placed on the end of the road bar what changes were involved?

if one had to cobble something together, i assume the triggers placed near the brake levers would be operationally preferable?

Strangelove
    Dec 2007
    This week I made the first major change to my Fargo set up. It's always been brilliant at touring, commuting, shopping trips and bike packing, but I also love riding it on singletrack. It's always excelled at this but sometimes I wished for a little more comfort up front. I've seen suspension on Fargo's before, but I personally don't like the looks or want the maintainance hassles.

So my solution has been to stuff a Surly Rabbit Hole / Knard combo up front and run it at 18psi. It's only raised the front end by 10mm and there's no difference in handling. The comfort and grip levels are off the scale though. I'll continue to run the old regular wheel for touring, commuting etc....but when I want to go a ride some singletrack, I'll swap out for the Knard.

Plenty of room to spare.

Color matched for extra pleasure!
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk
    . . .the home of the UK fat bike community

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr S View Post
    This week I made the first major change to my Fargo set up. It's always been brilliant at touring, commuting, shopping trips and bike packing, but I also love riding it on singletrack. It's always excelled at this but sometimes I wished for a little more comfort up front. I've seen suspension on Fargo's before, but I personally don't like the looks or want the maintainance hassles.

So my solution has been to stuff a Surly Rabbit Hole / Knard combo up front and run it at 18psi. It's only raised the front end by 10mm and there's no difference in handling. The comfort and grip levels are off the scale though. I'll continue to run the old regular wheel for touring, commuting etc....but when I want to go a ride some singletrack, I'll swap out for the Knard.

Plenty of room to spare.

Color matched for extra pleasure!

i like this one, i have similar bike whith rohloff and knard front

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

i had some parts layimg around

so i stuck a brifter and hogged out a trigger shifter a bit and stuck them on an old road bar i had and i think that it could be made to work pretty well, of course the devil is in the details and the mount is different on the xx1 shifter but i think a good result may be be possible
    i think i might order a sram discrete clamp to check it out- doThe Salsa Fargo Thread-p3131343.jpges not look like much extra metal on it though

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Maybe I'm missing something but what about just using bar ends in friction mode. Sometimes the simplest way is the best way.