Page 119 of 168 FirstFirst ... 19 69 109 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 129 ... LastLast
Results 2,951 to 2,975 of 4186
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SocratesDiedTrolling View Post
    The Fargo is my favorite bike, in part because I've always been the adventurous sort. There are some places it just won't go, though... like this super fine sand down by the river. It's moments like these when I think, "Man, I could use a Mukluk or a Pugsley..."

Click for Full Size

ha ha...! yes, for sure.
    if i were to do it over... i might build up a beargrease, with 2 sets of wheels though...

but pugs in the mud, and fargo in the same spot, about a week later:

muddyvale by mbeganyi, on Flickr

fargo-vale by mbeganyi, on Flickr

love both, for different reasons. but the fargo was ridden more last year than my indy fab ti club racer...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Fun Guy Green Question

On a completely non-substantive topic - has anybody used an anodized green Lip Lock seat collar or anodized green Chris King headset on a fun guy green frame? I realize those components would be a lot darker and more green than the frame, but wondered if they complemented the frame well or looked bad next to each other. I'm happy just to go with black or silver if so for the "new old stock" 2010 generation 1 Fargo I picked up recently, but thought I'd check to see if anyone else had gone this route before I ordered parts for my new build...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Guys I just picked up my Salsa Fargo this week and it is a 2012 model, I know this has been discussed but the thread is large to search. What rear racks is everyone using on their bikes?

never summer
    Quote Originally Posted by Peak7 View Post
    Guys I just picked up my Salsa Fargo this week and it is a 2012 model, I know this has been discussed but the thread is large to search. What rear racks is everyone using on their bikes?
    I'm using a Tubus Logo Evo. Thought about getting the Salsa rack, but ended up with the Tubus.

So I'm a big fan of Chris King...you guys should check out this new Overlander from Cielo.
    Fargo Ti + Moonlander + Necro Pug + Nature Boy

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Can anyone show me how they have fitted a front Tubus Tara rack and mudguards to their Fargo. It looks like I will have space out the dropout mounting point by around 10mm to clear the fork blade. Will the mounting bolt be strong enough for off road touring. Is it still possible to use the dropout mudguard eyes to mount the mudguard stays and still clear the brake caliper, or do you use the low rider bosses further up the fork blade?

mtbr member
    May 2010

The Salsa Fargo Thread

I have the wanderlust on mine. Gonna also do the low rider/minimalist combo up front.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Long time lurker and first time poster. I just added a 2012 Salsa Fargo to the stable a couple weeks ago. The bike has an interesting history. I bought it used from a buddy that had it stolen last summer. He bought a new Salsa bike with the insurance money. A couple months later the bad guys were caught and his Fargo was miraculously recovered. He didn't need both bikes so he gave me a good deal on this one. He built it up with every rack imaginable and with a number of nice component upgrades. It has the stock tires and he also included a set of Big Apples. One of the modifications I really like is a set of Paul brake levers at the top hand position on the woodchipper bar. I'm not used to a drop bar setup and I typically bike in a city area with frequent stops. It's super nice to be able to brake in any hand position while I'm getting comfortable with this setup. I took it on my first long ride tonight and I'm really enjoying the bike so far! My other bike is a Salsa Mukluk. I think the two bikes complement each other well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Salsa Fargo Thread-fargo1.jpg  

The Salsa Fargo Thread-fargo2.jpg  

The Salsa Fargo Thread-fargo3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    That thing looks like it's ready to carry any load anywhere!

------------------------------

Would there be anyone in the Phoenix or Tucson area with a Fargo they would be willing to let me test ride?

I've called three dealers between Phoenix/Tucson; none of them have either the Fargo or Vaya in stock. I guess rigid, multi-surface bikes are not cool in this area...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

New tubeless setup / pictures

Easton EA70 XCT with Schwalbe tires. Weighing in around 24lbs.

The Salsa Fargo Thread-fargo-easton-side-small.jpg

Another one out in the mountains:

The Salsa Fargo Thread-borel-hill-foggy.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    "Have a first gen small that might work. If interested let me know"
    Quote Originally Posted by smporter View Post
    Hello, I'm after a lightly used first generation Salsa Fargo Medium. Thanks, Shannon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Any Fargonauts running a tubeless set-up with their Fargo? I just did the conversion yesterday. Any thoughts on how high (what psi) you can inflate the tire? I think the ZTR Rapid rims for a 2.2 tire says 38, but on the Stan's website it says 40. Has anyone played around at all with this? How high have you gone? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Yes. The picture I posted above is my tubeless setup. I'm running Easton EA 70 XCT tubeless rims with Schwalbe TL ready tires. I'm not using any sealant whatsoever. I've been running it between 20 and 35psi. The latter feels very tight and was discouraged to try out higher pressure for fear of blowing out the tire. If I go below 20, the air starts leaking when I hit bigger bumps. So I wouldn't recommend that either.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

New question here.

Hello out there. i am New. Still figuring out how i am going to equip my brand new fargo 2 : hub, lights, pedals, mudguards, racks, etc. Without of course spoiling the estethics of this beautiful machine.

Any advice?
    Merci
    Last edited by Caribou!; 03-04-2013 at 08:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Respected Fargonauts!

I have been trying to decide on a new bike for good six months now and finally made up my mind and pulled the trigger for Fargo 2 (2013).

So another rookie here. I am plannig to use the bike as a commuter and semi-long distance touring bike.

But my problem is that I cannot test ride bike here (in snowy Finland that is), so I have to order the bike “blind” and in that process I have slight difficulty in deciding over a right size. I am 183cm/6' tall and unsure whether I should go for Large or Medium size Fargo? I mean according to Salsa website both would fit in my “size limits” (Medium is recommended for 173cm - 183cm riders whereas Large is recommended for 180cm - 191cm riders). I understand that Salsa website recommendations are only very general guidelines. Therefore, any advice regarding this size question would be highly appreciated.

My other question concerns rims, what rims would you recommend? I was thinking of Salsa Semi Discs.

Sorry about these newbie questions.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'm just under 5' 11" and have a medium Fargo. I made my decision based on top tube length, coming from a road bike background. I am pleased with the fit. I did need a 110 stem with less rise but other than that all is good. I am at the max height on the 350mmThudbuster seat post though. If you go with a medium you would probably need a 400mm post. But if I were you I would get the large. If you like your handlebars low the medium might be ok but if you like them anywhere around level with the seat the large would suit you better. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jekurantodistaja View Post
    Respected Fargonauts!

I have been trying to decide on a new bike for good six months now and finally made up my mind and pulled the trigger for Fargo 2 (2013).

So another rookie here. I am plannig to use the bike as a commuter and semi-long distance touring bike.

But my problem is that I cannot test ride bike here (in snowy Finland that is), so I have to order the bike “blind” and in that process I have slight difficulty in deciding over a right size. I am 183cm/6' tall and unsure whether I should go for Large or Medium size Fargo? I mean according to Salsa website both would fit in my “size limits” (Medium is recommended for 173cm - 183cm riders whereas Large is recommended for 180cm - 191cm riders). I understand that Salsa website recommendations are only very general guidelines. Therefore, any advice regarding this size question would be highly appreciated.

My other question concerns rims, what rims would you recommend? I was thinking of Salsa Semi Discs.

Sorry about these newbie questions.
    Hi, I have just completed building my Fargo. I'm 182 cm and have a Large Fargo. I am happy with the fit after roughly 400-500 Km. Before I ordered I was able to test both a medium and a large. Medium was indeed a bit low (handlebar) for my taste and felt a bit cramped. My LBS had also a great deal: Salsa Gordo Rims with SRAM hubs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Anybody know how much a large fargo frameset weighs (fargo 2 frameset 2013). I forgot to weigh the frame before the build. Salsa does not mention it on their website.

Thanks
    Last edited by patrickevers; 03-05-2013 at 05:55 AM. Reason: forgot something

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hi, I recently picked up a 2012 Fargo in trade for a Pugsley Necromancer I built for my father-in-law. I previously had a Salsa Las Cruces but could only fit a 32 rear and a 1.8 front. This Fargo is exactly what I really wanted. I can ride the 8 miles of pave to the trail head and then I keep beating my previous times (Strava) on the single track climbs. I swear it climbs faster and with more precision (techy stuff I'm in the drops) than my other mountain bikes. I will be riding it the one day a year I ride-2-work and I'm looking forward to jumping some curbs and riding about 6 miles of single track in the 70 mile RT commute.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I am about 184/185cm, and Large was definitely better for me than Medium. I had test-ridden both, and found the Medium was definitely too small. I also test-rode the similar sizes of Vaya and felt the same (58cm was better for me than 56cm).

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    How capable is a Fargo as a MTB? I have a Mukluk that I now use as my only MTB, which is cool, but I have been thinking of adding a flat bar road/gravel/touring/tooling around town with the kids bike. I have a Vaya and a SS Casseroll. I plan to keep them set up as roadies. But would I regret going with a Fargo for trail riding to replace the Mukluk? The Mukluk sees limited snow/sand action and I don't really race for serious, if at all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I compared the geometry to a El mariachi in the same size and they are very similar. The Fargo is 1.5" shorter in the top tube and a 1/3" taller standover (from memory). If Strava holds any weight, I was faster up and down on a segment on the Fargo that I've ridden several times on my Mooto-X YBB SS. Could have been new bike syndrome - could have been gears.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by philoanna View Post
    How capable is a Fargo as a MTB? I have a Mukluk that I now use as my only MTB, which is cool, but I have been thinking of adding a flat bar road/gravel/touring/tooling around town with the kids bike. I have a Vaya and a SS Casseroll. I plan to keep them set up as roadies. But would I regret going with a Fargo for trail riding to replace the Mukluk? The Mukluk sees limited snow/sand action and I don't really race for serious, if at all.
    As usual, your mileage may vary, but here's my two cents: I love taking my Fargo off road. While I do most of my pleasure riding on concrete or tame dirt, I've also taken it on some rather technical single track from time to time and had a blast, and that was just using a stock setup. As you may know, the current Fargoes (Gen 2) feature a suspension corrected geometry, so you can always throw a suspension fork on the front if that's what you're into. You say you already have a Vaya, and, well, the Fargo is very similar, except having clearance for wider tires, so imagine what your Vaya would be like with 2.2 inch tires and that might give you an estimation.

Also, I envy you... I wish they still made the Casseroll. I'd love to get one and set it up with an internal gear hub, maybe a dyno hub in the front, like the grandson of the old British three speeds.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for your input. I do love my Vaya, so maybe a Fargo with flat bars or my Soma Clarence bar would be a nice combo. I do like that my Vaya, Casseroll SS, and my Mukluk are each are very different and have their own unique jobs, but I just need to decide whether I can do without a fatbike. I don't think my wife would be down with me adding another.
    About the Casseroll, I really enjoy that bike. I do hope that Salsa comes out with another SS road bike that falls into that nice price range again.
    Thanks again.
    Kevin

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Funny how bikes seem to fit a specific purpose! I debated on which bike to purchase for a long time, already having a road bike and hardtail 29er. Could not decide between the Vaya, Fargo, El Mariachi and even looked at the Casseroll a few times. I get why you could have one of each. I went with the Fargo for different reasons, because it could cover all the area's well. May not be quite the CC Touring bike as a Casseroll, Gravel Road bike as the Vaya, MTB bike as the El Mariachi or Sand/Snow bike as the mukluk, but at the end of the day it can do them all (sand and snow could be a problem). I would rate the Fargo as a capable MTB for trail riding, to rough of terrain might warrent a suspension fork. I love that I can head out the door and ride down the street to the paved bike path, across the river to the gravel rails-to-trials, take a side trip on some single track and head home. I am planning to sell my 29er in the spring and just have 2 bikes, my road bike and my go everywhere bike, the "Fargo".
    Last edited by jjproctor; 03-05-2013 at 06:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I use my Fargo only as a trail bike. The low BB bothered me at first, but I swapped the stock cranks out for 165's with a smaller chainring and all is right with the world now. It is fast and very responsive on the trail. It feels like you are in the bike, not on it when riding fast singletrack. I would not recomend flat bars, the bike was designed for drops, just make sure they are set up properly. Don't assume the mechanic at your LBS knows anything about dirt drops.