Page 117 of 177 FirstFirst ... 17 67 107 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 127 167 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,925 of 4408
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    It must be a rust protector applied to the inside of the frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE610 View Post
    What is boeshield and what do you apply it too

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Metal protectant - like Weigle Frame Saver. This compound isn't obnoxious smelling and can be used indoors. I like to treat the inside of any steel-framed bike I ride with some sort of rust preventer and the shop which built wifey's Fargo didn't apply anything prior to assembly.

Metal protectant is applied inside the frame tubes, prior to assembling the bike if at all possible. When I built my Fargo I used an aerosol spray lube to coat the frame but it'll get a shot of the Boeshield T9 product next time I have it apart. FWIW, I've used the particular aerosol spray for years to winterize several motorcycles. You cover all chromed and raw metal surfaces with it, and removal pretty much involves dynamite or a thorough degreasing come spring. Unfortunately, the stuff has a petrochemical odor...and using it inside a closed house isn't the smartest thing.

You can pick Boeshield up at any Sears Hardware store. Although we probably won't ride our bikes (Fargos or the Pugsley I'm building) in a corrosive environment, I want to prevent flash rusting in places where it's not possible to clean the tubing. Since Ohio's muggy days and cool nights are just the thing for inducing condensation inside a frame, it makes sense to head potential problems off at the pass.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Cool .ill have to try that. I ride my Fargo here in Illinois so I need to protect it from the salt

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Yes that is it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed View Post
    I have the i23 rims on my Satori I just finished building up...they are nice rims for sure. Buit up super easy. Curious about your comment on the new Stan's...you think they are too wide now?

EDIT: Just looked up the Pacenti TL28 rim and it looks perfect for the job. Wide and light and would hold up well to gravel/bike packing I assume? Anyone running these on a Fargo?
    I really love the old Flows and was dissapointed because I just couldn't see why a rim without problems needed fixing. For me the new version was wider and heavier and a lot of people would have used the Arch to start with for the riding I do, so the new ones just seemed like they were on the wrong side of my personal line. I guess I could have tried the Arch EX instead of the WTB i23 but the price was too tempting.

With the i23 I think I just saw what was more or less the old Flow with a smaller price tag, so had to give it a try. I also agree that the wheels seemed easy to build, but being a novice I didn't discount that it was just a good day I was having.

I considered the TL28, but the price with postage to Australia is prohibitive and I have read on mtbr that they dint easily. I have to say that the Flows are very tough and hopefully the i23s will be too.

One thing I noticed is that the centre channel is deeper on the i23. For me a tubeless set up must be possible with standard folding tyres and inflateable by hand or it is a failure. The Flows pump straight up, but the i23s required some manual seating of the bead to be inflateable by hand. This seating was very easy and a very second hand pair of Geax Saguaros then inflated by hand and are immoveable.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicCarpet View Post
    ...One thing I noticed is that the centre channel is deeper on the i23. For me a tubeless set up must be possible with standard folding tyres and inflateable by hand or it is a failure. The Flows pump straight up, but the i23s required some manual seating of the bead to be inflateable by hand. This seating was very easy and a very second hand pair of Geax Saguaros then inflated by hand and are immoveable.
    You are noticing the deeper center channel because the WTB Frequency rims adhere to UST dimensions. It is also why your Geax tire fits as well as it does.

The new EX stuff from Stan's will have a very slightly larger diameter to the bead seat vs the older Flow, so a TNT Geax, for example, which was super-difficult to mount on an older Flow, will now be next to impossible on the EX type rim.

Stan's stuff is meant for converting non-tubeless tires to tubeless, primarily, so I see this as being okay. Many companies doing tubeless ready stuff are moving toward UST dimensions, so I feel that in the future, you will see the two types being not cross compatible, or poor fits at best.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    sorry folks, carry on. i was never here.
    Last edited by dazzlingdennis; 01-31-2013 at 09:55 PM. Reason: oops!

mtbr member
    Dennis, I think there is a $2 fee in addition to the classified add for what is called "paid spam". I doubt your intentions will be harshly judged by anyone, but it might be worth PMing a moderator or seeking out where the specific instructions are. There's tonnes of paid spam threads out there, so the instructions must be somewhere. Sorry the Fargo wasn't for you. I'm sure someone will want it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Box o' parts arrived on the back porch this afternoon. Bling for the wife's new ride. Last night I cut the steerer tube on the spare '11 fork; made it long enough to mount a second stem which will be used to mount a front bag. This has worked well on my Fargo so we opted to do same with hers.

Topeak rear rack and Cascadia fenders await final fitment. Brake rotors along with mounts went up in size to match those used on our other bikes and I mounted four bottle cages. Next comes a light mount and I need to rotate the shift levers so that drops won't break them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I've had the FargoTi for a couple of weeks now and I have to say I love it. I have yet to take it off road but that will come soon. On the road it is much better than I expected. In original specs it was a little bouncy on the road. I couldn't tell if it was the tires, Thudbuster or the Brooks seat. Some 32cm tires, regular seatpost and an old Selle Italia Flite took care that. With those changes it makes a fine road bike. I still am switching things around to see what combination works best for me.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Salsa Fargo Thread-img_2904_zps31d6f3f7.jpg  

Last edited by Bluechip; 01-31-2013 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Picture didn't show

never summer
    Glad to hear your liking it. Looks good as well! Are you liking the bar ends or going to switch to brifters? I didn't care for thudbuster+brooks, was just to much bounce. If you decide you want a bit more volume the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme (28x2.0) is an excellent tire.
    Fargo Ti + Moonlander + Necro Pug + Nature Boy

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    It's a little to early to tell about the shifters. I think I'll keep them on throughout the summer. My biggest concern, at least as a road bike, is the wide spaced gearing. I am used to a narrow road cassette (12-23) with one or two tooth jumps. The three and four tooth jumps take a little getting used to. I'm finding that I just shift less and deal with the large jumps, not looking for that perfect cadence.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hey guys,

8 weeks of waiting - and it was worth it. Got my Fargo TI frame and built it up in 2 evenings (ok, nights). First ride, and it feels exactly as it should. Compared to my Surly Cross Check touring bike the Fargo is stiffer, smoother, more comfortable on and off road, lighter and faster. As shown it weighs 24,3 lbs with fenders, battery lights and saddle bag, 23,5 lbs naked. The wheelset (Novatec hubs, ZTR Crest) and the Maxxis Tires are very light, I will see how it will handle the riding. On a longer tour my equipment barely exceeds 15 lbs, that should not be too much for the rims.

So far I am not happy with the fenders, they are too small for the tires, and I could use a shorter stem. I am 5´9, medium fits with a short stem, I think I could also ride "small", but for touring I went for the bigger frame.

Another thing: I ride Shimano 105 shifters 10-speed. These are not compatible with rear MTB 10-speed derallieurs. You have to buy a 9-speed der. to be able to shift 10-speed with the road shifters. Makes perfect sense.

And yes, the Fargo TI would be the one bike that I keep, if I had to choose.

Winter gave us a break here, right in time for the first ride.
    Richard

The Salsa Fargo Thread-img_0444.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Salsa Fargo Thread-img_0442.jpg  

The Salsa Fargo Thread-img_0441.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Wow that bike looks nice, Richmotion! Nice weight, too.
    The fenders look nice, in my opinion...what brand are they? You're wanting even more coverage, I assume, or do you mean they aren't large enough to accommodate a specific size of tire?

mtbr member
    My experience with bar end shifters is that they're pretty robust. I've used one pair for over 10 years, on and off road, with no issues beyond a cracked plastic washer (still functional, just cosmetic).

But, if you don't want to go that way, you have two options:

1) Expensive: Paul's thumbies

2) Cheap: Falcon or Sunrace shifter (Nashbar used to sell a shifter like this for $1--I have it, and it is indeed very, very cheap)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisx View Post
    What are people using for fiction shifters? I gave up on the flat bars. While installing the wood-chipper (25.6?) bars I realized I have not had drop bars since I was 15. My Power thumb shifters did not fit on the bars. I don't want bar end shifters because they break in crash. Yes, I tip over occasionally. Mostly when I am 2 days walk from a town. Trigger shifters are out. What if I need to buy a 7 speed cassette in a village somewhere. I expect there is a way to use old fashioned friction shifters on drop bars. I just don't know what it is. If somebody has full instructions on brake position, bar height, bar position, I would appreciate it.

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009

WTB rims? Use an inflator.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    You are noticing the deeper center channel because the WTB Frequency rims adhere to UST dimensions. It is also why your Geax tire fits as well as it does.
    FWIW, I have WTB rims on my Tallboy. They're a PITA to inflate by hand, but a quick shot from a 12oz CO2 canister via an emergency inflator pops just about any tire on like a champ.

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks man! I ended up getting the 2012 at a great price, so it'll cover the eventual changes. I'll pound the Comet into the ground then change it out.

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks - I got a pretty good deal on the 2012 that'll more than cover changing it to cranks I'd want. I'm going to get the wheels rebuilt/retensioned, give them a shot, and only change if necessary.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Re: bar end shifters...

I built my '12 up with a set of ST-4503 levers. Work great. Except when you're wearing heavy gloves and try to shift the things.

Wife's '11 has bar-end shifters and she doesn't think she'll care for them. If that's the case I foresee a lever/shifter/front dérailleur swap coming up, and when I do so I think I'll put a set of Cowbells on mine.

ETA:

If I knew how much I would like riding my Fargo prior to buying a frame I would have gone the Ti route. Congrats on the build!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Going Places

Two pics from some local day adventures around here.
    The Salsa Fargo Thread-img_0325.jpgThe Salsa Fargo Thread-img_0388.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks, NDTransplant!
    The fenders are SKS from Germany, 53mm. These are in fact too small for the tires, but I bent the braces (is that the right term?), so a little flex of the fenders would not rub on the tires immediatelly. The coverage is ok, the tires are even a little wider than the fenders though - but that´s ok for aerodynamics. On the front I changed the mounting of the braces to the inside rack mounts for lowriders. So the braces are shorter, the fender feels stiffer and I can still mount Anything cages or a lowrider on the outside of the fork. And I need not to bend the braces around the front brake caliper.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Cool-blue Rhythm

I've asked around, in this very thread, about recommendations for more road-ish tires for the Fargo. When my LBS mechanic heard me pondering tires for Fargoing on concrete, he gave me a pair of 700x35 hybrid tires to try out. Bontrager Select Invert 8s, they had been left, lightly used, probably by someone upgrading the tires on their Trek. (It's a Salsa/Trek shop.)

I must say, I think I was able to build up a bit more speed on flat land with them, but I missed the smoother ride of the stock 2.2 inchers. I don't know that the speed increase is really worth it when I'm just out riding on my own. Plus, resistance builds character. When Spring gets into full swing, I'll probably buy some Schwalbe Big Apples, to get a smooth, but still chubby, tire for road rides.

It does look a bit funny with the skinnier tires, though that doesn't really bother me.

They look so diminutive in the Fargo's wide, 29er clearances.

My two favorite vehicles. I'm an EMT, and decided to ride to my station to try out the tires.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Both nice vehicles! Though I have no intention to need the bigger one, ever.

I have Maxxis Aspen 29x2.1 on my Fargo TI. They offer a lot of comfort but very little rolling resistance and they really go fast on tarmac. They take serious offroad too, but are very lightweight - I don´t know how long they will last, just made about 150 miles on them.

Schwalbe Big Apples are rather heavy and road only balloon tires. They are very comfortable and bomb proof. 28x2,15 weighs 810 grams, the Maxxis Aspen 542 grams. You will notice that on starting from a red light...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I use the Geax Mezcal in 2.1. In rolling roads well and good off road defend yourself if you go slowly.
    Greetings.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

never summer

The Salsa Fargo Thread

I had Big Apples in the 2.35. They felt sluggish, but I kind of expected that considering the size. Ended up swapping them for Marathon Supreme's 28x2.0, fairly similar tire but much lighter.
    Fargo Ti + Moonlander + Necro Pug + Nature Boy