Page 116 of 166 FirstFirst ... 16 66 106 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 126 ... LastLast
Results 2,876 to 2,900 of 4136
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nastygrandma View Post
    I am using Conti RaceKing 2.2, tubeless - no mud guards and no need for a rack (isn't that the idea of the Fargo - Rackless mixed-terrain touring?)
    The three forks I am looking at will drop a significant amount of weight on the bike and can feasible take the unloaded weight down to 20 lbs.
    Careful with those Race Kings - I swear those sidewall are made of tissue paper..........

On topic or no reply
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by skiploder View Post
    Careful with those Race Kings - I swear those sidewall are made of tissue paper..........
    Is that seriously an issue? I work in a mountain-heavy shop and haven't seen any sidewall issues with the Race Kings (not saying it doesn't happen, I just haven't seen it). The lack-of failure with the Race Kings is actually why I chose them. My second choice is the Kenda 24seven.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nastygrandma View Post
    Is that seriously an issue? I work in a mountain-heavy shop and haven't seen any sidewall issues with the Race Kings (not saying it doesn't happen, I just haven't seen it). The lack-of failure with the Race Kings is actually why I chose them. My second choice is the Kenda 24seven.
    It was an issue for me. They came stock on my Fargo and I immediately swapped them out due to prior experiences with them.

I had them on my five spot and tore the sidewalls on a rocky section of a trail I usually ride 2x a week. Never had a problem before and haven't had one since.....

Don't know if it has been an issue with anyone else.....
    Last edited by skiploder; 01-23-2013 at 05:00 AM.

Geordie biker
    just picked mine up today....cant wait to explore.

2014 milage so far - 2,167
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by IoC View Post
    Hey folks,

Long time lurker, first time post. I'm about to order a 2013 Fargo 2, but I've got an opportunity to buy a 2012. Since you all are the sages of all things Fargo, I thought I'd ask:

1. Any thoughts on the DT Swiss rims vs. Stans Rapid?
    2. Any thoughts on the FSA Comet cranket vs. SRAM Apex?

Thanks! Can't wait to join the Fargonauts....
    I cant speak to the Stans rims or SRAM crank, but I did just build up custom wheels and add a wider range cassette to my Gen2. I was having an issue with the front wheel coming out of true and I have wished for higher AND lower gears. IMO the 2013 spec looks closer to what I would build up if I was starting with just a frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hey folks,

Long time lurker, first time post. I'm about to order a 2013 Fargo 2, but I've got an opportunity to buy a 2012. Since you all are the sages of all things Fargo, I thought I'd ask:

I have a 2012, so I can't comment to the 2013 stuff. Anyway, for me:

1. The DT wheels are very durable. My commute is on mixed terrain - mostly pavement, with some singletrack and gravel thrown in. I carry probably 10lb of stuff with me, between the big Ortlieb panniers, my work stuff, a change of clothes, and a bike lock. So the bike is heavy. I've also had some light crashes on the bike, no problems there either. After my 200 mile checkup, the wheels have stayed completely true.

2. The FSA Comet on mine is terrible. Mine isn't even totally straight. The front shifting on this bike took me a long time, and some fully sealed Gore cables, to get right. And I still have to kind of nurse it along. Fortunately, I find I don't have to change rings all that often. For me it's basically small ring for singletrack, big ring everywhere else. The crank is something I've thought about upgrading, but I haven't bothered with it yet. Other places to spend money.

Geordie biker
    First ride at last!

30 mile loop to the coast to get away from all the snow inland!.....I'm going to enjoy this bike.

2014 milage so far - 2,167
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

never summer
    1. My Fargo 2 had issues with the wheels staying true, I had loose spokes in the first 250 miles. I finally bent one and ended up just getting some Stan's Flow that were on closeout.

2. Comet crank was annoying. Never shifted great and different chain-rings was on par with buying a new crank. I picked up a SRAM X9 crankset and it was night and day in shifting. The new Fargo's don't have Apex cranks, they are pretty much X5 cranks but called S1000.

If you like the '13 color scheme pick that up, if you like the '12 color scheme then go that route. Either way down the road you will want to make some changes. For me 175mm cranks are long, I ride 170mm...so either way with a medium I would end up changing the cranks.

Hey folks,

Fargo Ti + Moonlander + Necro Pug + Nature Boy

Harmonius Wrench

2013 Ti Fargo

Just built up this Ti Fargo for a customer of the shop where I work. It's going on Tour Divide this summer with him.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Salsa Fargo Thread-p1050942.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    What are people using for fiction shifters? I gave up on the flat bars. While installing the wood-chipper (25.6?) bars I realized I have not had drop bars since I was 15. My Power thumb shifters did not fit on the bars. I don't want bar end shifters because they break in crash. Yes, I tip over occasionally. Mostly when I am 2 days walk from a town. Trigger shifters are out. What if I need to buy a 7 speed cassette in a village somewhere. I expect there is a way to use old fashioned friction shifters on drop bars. I just don't know what it is. If somebody has full instructions on brake position, bar height, bar position, I would appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    Just built up this Ti Fargo for a customer of the shop where I work. It's going on Tour Divide this summer with him.
    WOW! Just..... WOW!
    Randy

tao
    succinct
    plunging like stones from a slingshot on mars.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    That is definitely one of the nicest Fargos I've seen... Well done!

Home of the Gravedigger
    The Salsa Fargo Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1359229267.914279.jpg

Here is mine!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Pic of my Fargo in mid-December, everything is pretty much stock at this point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Salsa Fargo Thread-img_0322.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    After a lightly used gen 1 Fargo medium.

get down!
    Do you guys think the Flow EX rims are overkill for a Fargo if it will be mostly used for gravel grinding? I'm torn between the Flows or something lighter like the Crests/Arch rims.

I'm around 180 pounds or so.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed View Post
    Do you guys think the Flow EX rims are overkill for a Fargo if it will be mostly used for gravel grinding? I'm torn between the Flows or something lighter like the Crests/Arch rims.

I'm around 180 pounds or so.

Yes. Go with the Crest if you are sticking to gravel. Go with the Arch if you want to hit a trail now and then.

I would only modify that suggestion if (a) you are going to use the bike for bikepacking or (b) have a lot of fast, hard cornering in your future. If that was the case, I may lean more toward the Arches.

mtbr member
    Everyone has their own personal threshold where a rim is just too much. I would have been a Flow rider for life, but can not understand why a manufacturer cans such a great rim. It just doesn't make sense to me and personally the Flow EX is too much rim for me.

My off road Fargo wheel set has WTB Frequency i23 rims and after a short test ride I can not dislodge standard folding Geax Saguaros mounted tubeless - even though I tried. That's my personal measure of success, so I have found my new rim of choice at a fraction of the cost.

Home of the Gravedigger
    I'm running 36 spoke flows. Bike still only weighs 26 lbs as shown above.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jkaber View Post
    I'm running 36 spoke flows. Bike still only weighs 26 lbs as shown above.
    Specs please. That sounds pretty good for a Fargo.

Home of the Gravedigger
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluechip View Post
    Specs please. That sounds pretty good for a Fargo.
    Stock medium Fargo 2...except for:
    Brooks B17narrow
    XT cranks, chain, cassette
    XTR trail pedals
    4 King SS cages
    Wheels: King hubs, 36h Flows, DT 14/15 spokes w/ pro lock nipples, 2.0 Crow tires tubeless
    The Salsa Fargo Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1359324764.251041.jpg
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359324861.018054.jpg
Views: 1351
Size:  29.7 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359324881.396300.jpg
Views: 1359
Size:  39.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

get down!
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicCarpet View Post
    Everyone has their own personal threshold where a rim is just too much. I would have been a Flow rider for life, but can not understand why a manufacturer cans such a great rim. It just doesn't make sense to me and personally the Flow EX is too much rim for me.

My off road Fargo wheel set has WTB Frequency i23 rims and after a short test ride I can not dislodge standard folding Geax Saguaros mounted tubeless - even though I tried. That's my personal measure of success, so I have found my new rim of choice at a fraction of the cost.
    I have the i23 rims on my Satori I just finished building up...they are nice rims for sure. Buit up super easy. Curious about your comment on the new Stan's...you think they are too wide now?

EDIT: Just looked up the Pacenti TL28 rim and it looks perfect for the job. Wide and light and would hold up well to gravel/bike packing I assume? Anyone running these on a Fargo?
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Went with wife yesterday to pick her new (2011 closeout) Fargo 3. She's having a bit of trouble getting past the color, and would have preferred a 2012 in cream or a 2013 in either blue or brown...but the deal we got on the bike makes up for it.

Boxes o' farkle inbound. Bike is now in the basement, stripped down as far as it can be without pulling the cranks and cables. Waiting for the application of Boeshield to set up then I'll reinstall everything.

My 2012 was built up from scratch and I cut the steerer tube to allow mounting two stems - one to hold the bars and another to hold a short piece of tubing which holds a front bag mount. I'm going to bump up the diameter of the tube to 31.8mm and build a dynamo-powered USB charger/light controller inside it. I lucked out in finding a NOS 2011 Fargo fork on eBay; the steerer tube is uncut and it'll be set up to accomodate a similar bag arrangement on her bike.

If I could post a pic of my Fargo at this point I wouldn't...last weekend's dance through the muddy, icy trails got it thoroughly splotched with gunk.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    What is boeshield and what do you apply it too

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2