Page 115 of 166 FirstFirst ... 15 65 105 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 125 165 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,875 of 4128
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I've had a Gen I steel Fargo since mid 2010 and it is the bike I love and use all the time. Nevertheless, having ridden Gen II steel Fargo, I must say there is something lazy and slow about Gen I. Gen II seems to be a quicker, better accelerating, faster bicycle even in its steel version. On the other hand Gen I seems to be a better bike for loaded touring with more water bottle mounts, more space in the frame, with a fork better suited for fenders etc.

never summer
    Quote Originally Posted by t0pcat View Post
    Was wondering if someone that has ridden a ti fargo and a steel 1 could tell me their opinion of the ride differences if any. Thanks
    I previously owned a steel frame and upgraded to the Ti version. The Ti frame is even more compliant, dampening a lot of vibes and chatter. It's very responsive and lively feeling, I noticed this almost immediately. It seems to have a more poppy feeling on the single track. The steel version had all these qualities and the Ti version took them further. The rear triangle may have more flex. I can't really say 100% since I went to a stronger and stiffer wheelset. FWIW tires and pressure are all the same.

It would be interesting to hear from someone who has done some loaded riding and see their opinion.

mtbr member

2013 Frame availability?

Does anyone have the scoop on 2013 Fargo frame availability? I see Tree Fort Bikes is the only shop that seems to have them online. Checked with U-cycles (local for us) and they expected the frames to be in already. They are not sure when to expect them now. Any insider clues out there?

Thanks,
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    When I tried to buy a small Fargo 3 from my local shop before Christmas I was told March for bikes and sometime in the fall for frames. Check with Bikeman.com, that's where I ended up getting the bike for my daughter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post
    Does anyone have the scoop on 2013 Fargo frame availability? I see Tree Fort Bikes is the only shop that seems to have them online. Checked with U-cycles (local for us) and they expected the frames to be in already. They are not sure when to expect them now. Any insider clues out there?

Thanks,
    Try Bilenky.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm really getting tired of this. I've been told by my LBS "The end of this month, for sure!" since September. "The end of October!" "Okay, the end of November absolutely!" "End of the year without fail!" I wish Salsa would simply tell us when to plan for the bloody stupid bikes. It's putting my loyalty to a severe test.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Was looking forward to putting my Fargo to use this winter. Had knee surgery on Wed. so now I am dreaming of putting my Fargo to use this Spring! Did get to ride it enough to make a few changes and fine tune it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Salsa Fargo Thread-fargo-019.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    To those of you riding 2013 Fargo 2s: any issues with those SRAM cranks? It seemed like there were many problems with the 2011/2012 bikes.

never summer
    Quote Originally Posted by Owlish View Post
    To those of you riding 2013 Fargo 2s: any issues with those SRAM cranks? It seemed like there were many problems with the 2011/2012 bikes.
    I have a variant of the crank that's spec'd on the '13. It's way better than the FSA in regards to shifting smoother. I didn't really care for the design of the FSA crank, and the 3 bolt chainring sucks when it comes to shopping for new or different gearing options.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post

Thanks,
    Bikeman seems to have them. Try phoning first before you order. I got mine there and thought their service postage prices and delivery time were all very good.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I've been thinking of swapping my gen1 frame for a ti frame... Now it thinking of just doing a gen2 swap.
    I've also ridden the gen2 and noticed it seemed "quicker" but not sure it'd be that big of a difference vs going with the ti frame.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Dear rallyrcr and all other gen1 Fargo owners, I'll just put this out there again: I am after a lightly used gen1 Fargo medium frame or complete. Thank you,
    Shannon

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Mine is a large.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

On topic or no reply
    Jul 2012
    Hi Gang,

Been lurking for a while, I believe this is my first post on MTBr.
    I received my 2013 Fargo Ti frame a few weeks back and built it up with a mix of old/new parts from another bike. I am absolutely in love with this bike and have started using it for my daily commuter.

My current build:
    2013 Salsa Fargo Ti, Large
    Fargo V2 fork
    Crank Bros Iodine 3 wheels
    SRAM X0 drive/shift
    Jones Ti H-loop bar
    Conti Race King 2.2
    X-Fusion Hilo Seatpost
    Brooks B17

I have been playing with different stems before I order my new Ritchey Trail.

I will be holding on to the stock fork for more loaded trips, but most of my trips can be done without the extra capacity and so I am looking to upgrade/drop some weight.

I have my eyes set on:
    -White Brothers 29er Rock Solid
    -Whisky Parts Co. No.7
    -Ritchey WCS Carbon

I would actually REALLY like to have the Ritchey fork, but the non-tapered carbon steerer makes me uneasy. I have browsed through this thread and haven't seen much variety in forks other than stock. Anybody have any other thoughts, opinions on carbon forks for the Fargo?

mtbr member
    I think the standard fork is worth at least trying for a while. If a light full carbon fork makes you feel uneasy, a fork that is strong like the OnOne carbon fork is only 200g lighter. After all, we are talking about a bike with wire beaded 50mm touring tyres, mud guards and a rack, etc if you are commuting on it.

Good luck either way.

On topic or no reply
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicCarpet View Post
    After all, we are talking about a bike with wire beaded 50mm touring tyres, mud guards and a rack, etc if you are commuting on it.
    Good luck either way.
    I am using Conti RaceKing 2.2, tubeless - no mud guards and no need for a rack (isn't that the idea of the Fargo - Rackless mixed-terrain touring?)
    The three forks I am looking at will drop a significant amount of weight on the bike and can feasible take the unloaded weight down to 20 lbs.
    Last edited by nastygrandma; 01-20-2013 at 02:45 PM. Reason: I a word

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nastygrandma View Post
    I am using Conti RaceKing 2.2, tubeless - no mud guards and no need for a rack (isn't that the idea of the Fargo - Rackless mixed-terrain touring?)
    The three forks I am looking at will drop a significant amount of weight on the bike and can feasible take the unloaded weight down to 20 lbs.
    The Fargo is eyeletted and nutserted for racks front and rear because it is designed to have a rack front and rear if you want them. However, I realise that that doesn't discount the option of not having them.

All I was doing was pointing out the that a strong carbon fork was only 200g lighter. If that is important to you or you are willing to use a fork that in your own words makes you feel uneasy, that's your call.
    Last edited by MagicCarpet; 01-20-2013 at 03:22 PM.

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009

2012 2 vs. 2013 2?

Hey folks,

Long time lurker, first time post. I'm about to order a 2013 Fargo 2, but I've got an opportunity to buy a 2012. Since you all are the sages of all things Fargo, I thought I'd ask:

1. Any thoughts on the DT Swiss rims vs. Stans Rapid?
    2. Any thoughts on the FSA Comet cranket vs. SRAM Apex?

Thanks! Can't wait to join the Fargonauts....

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Gearing Questions

OK, I'll admit I know very little about gearing...been trying to read up on it, etc. How low a gear do you need for loaded hill climbing, blah blah...

From what I can gather on the spec sheets...
    2012 Fargo 2
    Crankset 27/39T
    Cassette 12-36t

2013 Fargo 2
    Crankset 28/42T
    Cassette 11-36t

If this is correct, the 2013 model would have a considerably wider spread. Or am I over-analyzing the gear spread?

I realize a stronger rider, carrying less weight, etc., etc., can 'get by' with a different range of gears than someone else. Just wondering if the difference in gearing would even be a consideration in purchasing a 2012 vs a 2013.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Earlier I said that I was after a lightly used Gen1 Fagro medium frame or complete. I should of said that ideally I am after a brand new in the box Gen1 Fargo medium frame or complete. Just wanted to add that. Does anyone know where I can find one? Thanks, Shannon.

mtbr member
    NDTransplant, everyone will have a different view on gearing depending on their fitness, location and loading. Personally, I couldn't use either of those where I live, so a complete Fargo was not going to happen.

This would be my only gripe with the complete Fargo models. The gearing is not comensurate with the intended use of the bike. Not even close for me. Not slow enough - not fast enough.

If it bothers you, the cheapest alternative is to buy a model with bar end shifters and change to a triple crank. The friction shifter will just keep on throwing the front derailleur. Then there is what was my only option because there are no Fargos in Australia and the complete bike shipping was too high. That is a custom build up, which doesn't have to be that dear if you are patient and prudent.

I hope your Fargo dream comes true. I really love mine - it's the full barge option. Check it out: My Fargo Build

On topic or no reply
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicCarpet View Post
    All I was doing was pointing out the that a strong carbon fork was only 200g lighter. If that is important to you or you are willing to use a fork that in your own words makes you feel uneasy, that's your call.
    Of the 3 forks I was asking about, even the heaviest one is 400 grams lighter than the stock Fargo v2 fork and the lightest is over 500 grams lighter! If you happen to have experience with any of the forks I listed, I would gladly take your feedback in to consideration. I personally have no experience with them, and so, I came here to ask.

Thanks? for your replies.

I noticed in Ride the Divide (5/5*s) and Reveal the Path (2/5*s) that many are riding Fargo/El Mar with rigid carbon forks.

On topic or no reply
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NDTransplant View Post
    OK, I'll admit I know very little about gearing...been trying to read up on it, etc. How low a gear do you need for loaded hill climbing, blah blah...
    This is really only something you can answer.
    Personally, I will sacrifice high gears for low gears - I don't mind spinning out at 26 mph because that likely means I am going downhill anyway; but I'll be damned if I am going to walk up a hill when I can ride!

That being said, on my Surly LHT 26in with 22x36 low gearing and 18lbs of gear, I have found that I have to walk up anything over 19% while my usual touring partner has a mountain tamer 4th chainring (16x34) and can ride up 24% grades.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Wow that is some low gearing on your buddy's bike, nasty grandma!!

Thanks for the response.

Enjoyed reading your build, MagicCarpet. Lot of thought went into your build, I can see that!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Anyone have an XL Gen2 Fargo (preferably in cream scheme) they want to get rid of?