Page 114 of 165 FirstFirst ... 14 64 104 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 124 164 ... LastLast
Results 2,826 to 2,850 of 4115
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    FYI a medium Tangle Bag from Revelate fits a Large Fargo really well. A Large bag is a bit too big, interferes with the bottle cages, and in my opinion is a bit too droopy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    hey there- i've been lurking for a couple of years, finding all sorts of info to trick out my genII- which, if any, brooks saddle would you recommend? any ladies out there with recommendations?thanks!

mtbr member
    B17 is a good, reliable saddle
    "Ride what you love, love what you ride"

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hi. Does anyone have a lightly used 1st generation Fargo medium they would part with on know someone else who does? Thanks,
    Shannon

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    There's a gen 1 medium on Ebay at this very moment. Looks pretty good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thank you, but It looks like it is a size xl.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Oh, sorry. I was thinking this 2010 was still gen 1:

2010 Salsa Fargo Drop Bar 29er Moutain Bike | eBay

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks again. Yeah that is a gen 1, but it is 22 inches, and I'm looking for 18 inches. Thank you Owlish.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shannonmichaelp View Post
    Thanks again. Yeah that is a gen 1, but it is 22 inches, and I'm looking for 18 inches. Thank you Owlish.
    I have a medium gen 1 frame and fork only!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hi rs728. Thanks for the reply. I would love to learn more about the frame and fork. What condition are they in? What is the odometer reading? Original owner? Tell me more about it. What else can you tell me about it?

More about what I'm looking for.... Since the bike that I am looking for is old and Salsa did not make very many of them, I am not sure if what I am looking for is attainable. But I just posted, so I will keep my fingers crossed. My dream is to find one new still in the box. Or with less than 100 miles on it. Or lightly used.

If your bike is lightly used, then I would like to talk to you more about it.

Thanks rs728.
    Shannon

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I've been looking at Fargo's for a while now. I am planning on doing the GDR in '14 and figured that it was a good choice for it. I've bid on a few frames on Ebay and was just narrowly out bid each time. I've even sent a few pm's to some of the members here but for some reason or another it didn't work out. While searching on Ebay again a new '12 Fargo Ti popped up for a good price and I just couldn't pass it up. The starting price was great but the buy it now price was good too. I didn't want to take the chance so I bought it.

I put it together yesterday but the weather has turned bad again so no real rides today. It needs a few minor adjustments for my taste. I need a slightly longer stem with less rise/drop. Thinking about putting on some 9sp Ultegra brake/shifters off my wife's old bike, but I'll wait a while for that to see if I like the bar end shifters. If I keep them I'll reroute the cables to come out near the stem. The brake levers point in too much for my taste but that's easy enough to correct.

I'm a little disappointed in the weight (27lbs with pedals) which is the exact same as my '06 FS Epic Disc. I guess it's got some heavy components- Brooks saddle and Thudbuster seat post but most seem reasonably light. Oh well, once it's loaded up it won't matter much anyway.

I can't wait to get out there and ride it. I'll probably use it most of the time instead of my road bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Picked up a 2013 Fargo 2 on wednesday. Got a deduct for taking out the SRAM drivetrain and brifters and swapped out the thudbuster for the stock post on the 3.

I also added some VP platform pedals that I picked up from Rivendell. The dealer was very accommodating in letting me swap out and delete parts.....

Set it up with regular bar end shifters thinking I'd give them a try and if I didn't like them, I'd pick up some Paul's Thumbies instead. Took it out on a 17 mile ride yesterday and am getting used to the bar ends - I may just keep them.

Took a while to get used to the woodchipper but I did get comfortable with the position of the hoods. Did some fairly steep climbs and found myself using the drops themselves to stand and hammer.

I first thought the deep brown and orange scheme was too much, but it has grown on me. I did take off the orange bar tape and went with the grey that comes with the 3.

I still don't have a high enough post count to post pics. I'm picking up a quick release salsa clamp (orange!) and B17 saddle (in honey) this weekend.

So the next post should include pics of the final set up.

never summer
    Congrats on the new bike! The Brooks saddle, Thudbuster and DT/XT wheelset are all pretty heavy parts. I pulled the Thudbuster off in favor of a Thomson. To me the combo seemed overkill. The stock wheelset is ~5lbs. I went with some older Stan's Flows around Hope hubs and they were 1lb lighter. So with a good light wheel set I imagine shaving 1-2lbs wouldn't be hard. I'm not pinching grams or anything with mine, this is fresh info since I just swapped the Ti frame off a close out '12 Ti complete.

Bad weather! With a Fargo there is no such thing. Planet Bike Cascadia Fenders and your set.

For what it's worth the Fargo Ti complete comes with BB7 Mnt and I believe you need BB7 Road for brifters. The only difference between the two is the pull. So maybe watch for a set of used calipers or something on ebay. There might be a trick or adapter to make it work, just a heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluechip View Post
    I've been looking at Fargo's for a while now. I am planning on doing the GDR in '14 and figured that it was a good choice for it. I've bid on a few frames on Ebay and was just narrowly out bid each time. I've even sent a few pm's to some of the members here but for some reason or another it didn't work out. While searching on Ebay again a new '12 Fargo Ti popped up for a good price and I just couldn't pass it up. The starting price was great but the buy it now price was good too. I didn't want to take the chance so I bought it.

I put it together yesterday but the weather has turned bad again so no real rides today. It needs a few minor adjustments for my taste. I need a slightly longer stem with less rise/drop. Thinking about putting on some 9sp Ultegra brake/shifters off my wife's old bike, but I'll wait a while for that to see if I like the bar end shifters. If I keep them I'll reroute the cables to come out near the stem. The brake levers point in too much for my taste but that's easy enough to correct.

I'm a little disappointed in the weight (27lbs with pedals) which is the exact same as my '06 FS Epic Disc. I guess it's got some heavy components- Brooks saddle and Thudbuster seat post but most seem reasonably light. Oh well, once it's loaded up it won't matter much anyway.

I can't wait to get out there and ride it. I'll probably use it most of the time instead of my road bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Singlefin- Thanks, I didn't even notice the bb7 mtn's. I just assumed they were the road version because of the road type levers. I'll probably just keep it the way it is for now with a few cockpit adjustments. If after riding it for a while I decide I don't like the bar end shifters I can make the adjustments. I just checked on my seldom used tandem and it has bb7 road calipers and Ultgetra 9sp triple shifters. So it's an easy swap if I go that way.

I am sure at some point I will get or build a lighter set of wheels but these should be fine for now. I just checked around and the XT hubs are fairly heavy at nearly 700g for the set. The rims also could be lighter at nearly 1100g for the pair. Should be fairly easy and not too expensive to build a nice but lighter set.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    So I've spent the last several days pouring over every thread I could find on the Fargo- on MTBR, ACA's website, and Neil's entertaining experience with the Fargo on crazyguyonabike....

Am I right in saying that the bike isn't particularly light? I guess that's the 'weigh' (haha) it is when attempting to build a durable and reliable expedition-type bike.

I just mention it because my 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er is right at 29 lbs, and is a bike I find extremely comfortable and versatile, although I wouldn't want to spend hours pedaling down gravel roads with the standard flat bar.

I wonder...could I just bolt on a set of On One Mary's to my Stumpjumper for a little more 'touring' flexibility, or do I need this bike, too?? lol

Need to find one to test ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Untitled by mbeganyi, on Flickr

Untitled by mbeganyi, on Flickr

Running Nokian Extremes. Heavy, but certainly welcome today. Dirt roads that were frozen in the morning, some hike a bike, and some slop. All good fun.

Really need to move to fully housed drivetrain. Froze up / jammed up my rear derailer (I've got the front protected with the low mounted Crud Catcher.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by NDTransplant View Post
    So I've spent the last several days pouring over every thread I could find on the Fargo- on MTBR, ACA's website, and Neil's entertaining experience with the Fargo on crazyguyonabike....

Am I right in saying that the bike isn't particularly light? I guess that's the 'weigh' (haha) it is when attempting to build a durable and reliable expedition-type bike.

I just mention it because my 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er is right at 29 lbs, and is a bike I find extremely comfortable and versatile, although I wouldn't want to spend hours pedaling down gravel roads with the standard flat bar.

I wonder...could I just bolt on a set of On One Mary's to my Stumpjumper for a little more 'touring' flexibility, or do I need this bike, too?? lol

Need to find one to test ride.
    Weight is relative. What is "heavy" to some is no big deal to others.

My Fargo Gen II which is pictured earlier in this thread with a Rock Shox Reba RL front suspension and a Cane Creek Thudbuster ST seat post comes in at 28.32lbs ready to ride.

I feel that's pretty respectable for a fully geared front and (almost ) rear suspended rig meant to haul a load off road. But, if you want a similar bike with a lighter tube set, (albeit rigid fork design only), take a look at a Singular Gryphon. It has a rear rack mount now and can be single speeded.

I've got both and love them for different reasons.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks, Ted. I agree, the weight is relative, and a bike in the 28lb range for what the Fargo is intended for (promoted as?) is respectable.

I really need to decide what way I want to go if there's a No. 2 bike in the garage. Sometimes I think it'd be nice to have a 20 lb hard tail to go zipping around, but that type of bike is not really the type one would throw a bunch of camping paraphanelia on and expect it to stay reliable....well, not at the Fargo's price point, anyways.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yesterday, I went for a singletrack ride. My first time on these trails, and they're a lot more technical than the others I've taken the Fargo on. Twisty, rutted, rocky, you name it, it was there. Lots of really steep decents, and similarly steep climbs, as well. Making matters more challenging, I went with some friends of mine, all of whom race mountain bikes or cyclocross. I'm in okay shape, but not like these guys.

After that ride and into today, I felt like I'd fallen down a flight of stairs. I'm far from new to mountain biking, but hadn't taken the Fargo on anything like this before. I've been a Fargo apologist with these racer guys for months now, extolling its virtues as a do-anything bike. But this was the first time I felt like I had the wrong tool for the job, and felt like maybe those guys are right. So...

Quote Originally Posted by NDTransplant View Post
    I really need to decide what way I want to go if there's a No. 2 bike in the garage.
    I'm in the same exact spot. I'm currently eyeing dedicated MTBs, and I really want a Ritchey P-29. But egads, that's going to be expensive. And I'm not convinced I'll do enough hardcore singletrack riding to justify such a bike.

I'd keep the Fargo, because I'm already so attached to it. It rekindled my love of bicycles.

And, on a side note, I thought the Selle Anatomica was great in those conditions. I only noticed its unconventional shape at the sides one time. In fact, one of the racer guys took my Fargo for a quick spin, and even he said he couldn't believe how good that saddle is.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by krshultz View Post
    Yesterday, I went for a singletrack ride. My first time on these trails, and they're a lot more technical than the others I've taken the Fargo on. Twisty, rutted, rocky, you name it, it was there. Lots of really steep decents, and similarly steep climbs, as well. Making matters more challenging, I went with some friends of mine, all of whom race mountain bikes or cyclocross. I'm in okay shape, but not like these guys.

After that ride and into today, I felt like I'd fallen down a flight of stairs. I'm far from new to mountain biking, but hadn't taken the Fargo on anything like this before. I've been a Fargo apologist with these racer guys for months now, extolling its virtues as a do-anything bike. But this was the first time I felt like I had the wrong tool for the job, and felt like maybe those guys are right. So...

I'm in the same exact spot. I'm currently eyeing dedicated MTBs, and I really want a Ritchey P-29. But egads, that's going to be expensive. And I'm not convinced I'll do enough hardcore singletrack riding to justify such a bike.

I'd keep the Fargo, because I'm already so attached to it. It rekindled my love of bicycles.

And, on a side note, I thought the Selle Anatomica was great in those conditions. I only noticed its unconventional shape at the sides one time. In fact, one of the racer guys took my Fargo for a quick spin, and even he said he couldn't believe how good that saddle is.
    I have a dedicated mountain bike and I have a Fargo. I would not even consider taking the Fargo on technical trails - there are people that can pull it off with style and without an epsom salt soak at the end of the day- I'm just not one of them.

No, my full suspension mountain bike will still fill that niche. The Fargo, with a set of road tires, is what I'll turn to when I want to pull daddy multi-use trail duty or when I want to do a nice day ride with my wife while she trains for her century rides.

With more aggressive rubber, it's the bike I'll use to explore fire roads with my older kids and it's the bike I'll take camping.

I looked at the Vaya and the Cross-check as my potential second bike and neither put the same grin on my face as the Fargo. Does the bike make sense? Probably not - but neither does my 1969 FJ40 Landcruiser

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by krshultz View Post
    But this was the first time I felt like I had the wrong tool for the job, and felt like maybe those guys are right. So...
    I go single track riding on my Fargo (2012 steel) all the time, that's pretty much my only mountain bike now (I've got a Sugar 2 hanging in the garage, but the 29er is way more fun!). Anyway, rigid, the Fargo is a fun but HARD ride. With front suspension, it's smooth, still fun, albeit a little heavier, but way, way easier on the body after the ride. I really enjoy it for single track use.

That said, I've got a Niner MCR frame sitting at home, and I am really contemplating building it up and trying it out for single track use.

I got the Fargo as a trail/bikepacking bike, but I've been doing a lot more single track, and I think the MCR will be a better fit (and it's probably 2+ pounds lighter just for the frame).

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by skiploder View Post
    I have a dedicated mountain bike and I have a Fargo. I would not even consider taking the Fargo on technical trails - there are people that can pull it off with style and without an epsom salt soak at the end of the day- I'm just not one of them.
    That made me laugh.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    [
    photo did not pos
    tno delete button

mtbr member
    Was wondering if someone that has ridden a ti fargo and a steel 1 could tell me their opinion of the ride differences if any. Thanks
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I had a Gen 1 steel fargo for two years, and my Ti Fargo is about to celebrate its second birthday...

Going to the Ti, I was expecting it to be lighter, and as comfortable and a whole lot sexier, and it was all these things...

I wasn't expecting it to be so much more efficient, which I am sure is partly due to the shorter stays, but it really has a lot more snap if you kick it in the guts...

There's a lot more trail feel too, without being harsh. Like, you always know what's going on... It's hard to explain...

Just do it...