Page 113 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113
Results 5,601 to 5,621 of 5621

Harmonius Wrench

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by Rorshanks View Post
    Does anyone have an experience with the Salsa Cowchipper bars over the Woodchipper?

I intended the Fargo to be my all-around second bike to use bikepacking, commuting, trailering around the kids, and for mountain biking when my local trails that are getting a little boring on my full suspension.

I'm 5'11" on a 2017 medium Fargo. When in the drops, I feel a little too much leaned over like the bars are too low, even though the handlebars are at the top of my spacer stack. My bars are currently set up so riding on the hoods is pretty comfortable, but hard to reach the levers in the drops. I could move the hoods lower, but then I'm afraid I would be limited to the "too-low" drop position all the time. I find this position tiring for long rides.

I know the Cowchippers will solve the problem of having a useable lever position in hoods and the drops, but will they put me in an even lower position on the bike since they have a bit more drop? Or will the tighter radius of the Cowchippers improve my position?

I may also try a higher rise stem, but for now I'm wondering if different bars might solve both problems (lever reach in hoods/drops and getting a more upright position.)
    I've ridden a lot with both those bars. Your worries are spot on with the Woodchipper and it is why I really do not like that bar.

The Cowchipper solves all those issues. Yes, it has a bit deeper drop, but as you say, a stem swap can get you in a "drop" position that works better, if you need that. I did not.

Personally, I feel the Cowchipper is a far superior drop bar. The Woodchipper was a bar that wasn't right out of the box and no amount of futzing with rotating it, stems, or spacer gymnastics could fix that for me. It is an inferior design and many bikes I see it on have compromised either the hoods position or drops position so much the rider doesn't use the one position that has been compromised at all.

That said, there are many that are in love with Woodchippers. That's why Salsa has both bars. I get it. It is just my opinion that the Woodchipper is a flawed design. Hopefully you get someone to comment that hates Cowchippers and loves Woodchippers. Balanced and fair reviewing, ya know.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evirob View Post
    I went with 29+ wheels and the clearance could be better. 40mm ID rims with WTB Rangers.
    Just out of curiosity, that's with the 3.0 Rangers or the 2.8?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by annoying crack View Post
    Gearing wise. How do I get the lowest gearing with a double chainset that works with brifters? Planning on using cable disks.
    to get the lowest gearing, you'll use a mtn bike crankset, mtn bike rear mech and mtn bike cassette. if using Shimano, you'll need a Wolftooth "Tanpan" to make the road brifters operate the mech. you can google and/or search this thread for those terms.
    In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

mtbr member

Fargo MTB

I've been riding my Fargo on singletrack a bit lately and I love it more and more. It's just a really fun mountain bike and I'm actually enjoying using the Woodchippers.

You guys discussing the Woodchipper vs. Cowchipper is making me want to try the CC. I adjusted the reach and level of the levers to optimize for the drops, and only use the top of the bar when climbing or going really slow. Definitely a compromise, but I'm okay with it for now.

I installed an old Reba I had laying around that had a shorter steerer tube than the steel fork. I had to use a higher rise stem to get the drops up to around saddle level. The WTB i29 Asym rims with Maxxis Forekaster 2.3 tubeless tires are awesome. Tons of grip and feel solid.

The Salsa Fargo Thread-rockymounts.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Just picked up a new Fargo a couple weeks ago. Re-laced the rims with Stans Flow MK3s wrapped in Ikon 2.35's, swapped out the cassette for a Box components 11-46, and switched the front ring to a 28t. I never thought I'd own a bike like this but I love the adventures that can be had. Pic below is from the first real ride, about 45 miles of old double track with some pavement thrown in for good measure.

The Salsa Fargo Thread-file_000-29-.jpg

mtbr member
    I've tried several shops and cant for the life of me find either a steel or Ti fargo frameset +/- fork in medium anywhere. If anyone has any leads, I am all ears, please shoot me a PM. I just broke my old (non-Fargo) frame and need a new one ASAP. None of my local Salsa dealers are saying that they are able to order me one in time. I need a new one this month if possible for some Springtime bikepack races I have planned.

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Couloirman View Post
    I've tried several shops and cant for the life of me find either a steel or Ti fargo frameset +/- fork in medium anywhere. If anyone has any leads, I am all ears, please shoot me a PM. I just broke my old (non-Fargo) frame and need a new one ASAP. None of my local Salsa dealers are saying that they are able to order me one in time. I need a new one this month if possible for some Springtime bikepack races I have planned.
    You try eBay by chance? Or you could look into another drop bar style bike: velo orange piolet, crust bikes, etc... I know they aren't fargos, but better than nothing. Crust bikes people are big into bikepacking fwiw. good luck and hope you find a speedy solution.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cackalacky View Post
    I've been riding my Fargo on singletrack a bit lately and I love it more and more.
    that is a really cool pic! it's as if your Fargo is screaming "i'm the king of the world!"
    In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post

The Cowchipper solves all those issues. Yes, it has a bit deeper drop, but as you say, a stem swap can get you in a "drop" position that works better, if you need that. I did not.
    Thanks G-Ted. It sounds like the Cowchippers might be the better choice for what I intend to do with this bike.

I think maybe I see the benefit of the Woodchipper for singletrack riding of you literally only ever use the drops, but I've got other mountain bikes for that type of riding.

Also, is anyone else excited about recently announced 29x2.8" tires from Terrene? I know there are other smaller plus tires that probably measure to around 2.8", but I need a tough casing for my lava rock infested trails. I want to dangle my feet in the plus tire pool, but these should work fine on my i29 rims without chain rub from my 2x10.

Harmonius Wrench
    Also, is anyone else excited about recently announced 29x2.8" tires from Terrene? I know there are other smaller plus tires that probably measure to around 2.8", but I need a tough casing for my lava rock infested trails. I want to dangle my feet in the plus tire pool, but these should work fine on my i29 rims without chain rub from my 2x10.
    I am, for one. Not for a Fargo though. I have 2.8"ers but they are 27.5" tires on my "Fat Fargo", which is a great set up for certain things.

I'll be looking in to this new Terrene tire for a Singular Buzzard I have.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Just out of curiosity, that's with the 3.0 Rangers or the 2.8?
    The 29+ Rangers are only available in 3.0". Currently....

Also, is anyone else excited about recently announced 29x2.8" tires from Terrene? I know there are other smaller plus tires that probably measure to around 2.8", but I need a tough casing for my lava rock infested trails.
    I'm excited. They look sweet. Though I've been running Rangers lately on both my 27.5+ and 29+ rigs and they leave little to be desired. While the "Light and Fast" version may not stand up to sustained lava rock bashing, I've actually been pretty impressed at how durable they are on northern Rockies granite/shale and the usual southern Utah smorgasbord of pokey nastiness.
    I dream of a day when my children will live in a world without the shackles of cause and effect.” - S. Colbert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevrider View Post
    that is a really cool pic! it's as if your Fargo is screaming "i'm the king of the world!"
    Thanks! Just a quick pic on my roof rack. This bike is a keeper.
    Last edited by cackalacky; 1 Week Ago at 05:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I made it 88 miles on my Fargo before breaking my first derailleur hanger. Not terribly expensive given I have to replace the whole dropout, but after removing it and inspecting it, it doesn't look like the most durable piece of hardware. My plan for the bike was to be able to take long rides with occasional single track mixed in. Anyone have any impressions of the alternator dropouts and whether they are up to the task?

On the plus side, I think the derailleur itself survived just fine (to be confirmed once I fix the bike and ride it again), so the hanger did it's job and provided a breaking point. With the sliding mount, I was able to resize my chain for a middle gear, tension the chain, and single-speed it home without any issues. So, despite breaking, it didn't leave me stranded calling for a ride, which is always a plus.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeR91 View Post
    I made it 88 miles on my Fargo before breaking my first derailleur hanger. Not terribly expensive given I have to replace the whole dropout, but after removing it and inspecting it, it doesn't look like the most durable piece of hardware. My plan for the bike was to be able to take long rides with occasional single track mixed in. Anyone have any impressions of the alternator dropouts and whether they are up to the task?

On the plus side, I think the derailleur itself survived just fine (to be confirmed once I fix the bike and ride it again), so the hanger did it's job and provided a breaking point. With the sliding mount, I was able to resize my chain for a middle gear, tension the chain, and single-speed it home without any issues. So, despite breaking, it didn't leave me stranded calling for a ride, which is always a plus.
    Bummer about the hanger. I have 3000 miles on mine without issue. Mixed dirt and road.

Also, I just made the switch to cowchippers and am really happy. I haven't tried them on a single track yet though. I also switch the BB7s to TRP Spyre. Mucho mejor!
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2016 Salsa Pony Rustler
    2014 Salsa Fargo
    Chips

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I made it 88 miles on my Fargo before breaking my first derailleur hanger.
    The hanger broke? I had the cage separate from the rest of the derailleur. The shop thought I must have damaged it so I had to a buy a new derailleur.
    This year my wife and my friend both got Fargo's and had the same thing happen. Mine was a 2015 and theirs were 2016's. One thing I discovered is that the RD was an older version.

All of these incidents happened with 2-300 miles on them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yeah, the hanger bent so that the derailleur was back in the wheel (luckily, no signs of spoke damage) and when I tugged it to clear the wheel, it snapped. Pictures attached. (Please excuse the mud - they are building bridges over some drainage, but they aren't done yet, hard to ride through without picking some up.) Derailleur seems Ok, but could be bent a bit. I'll know more in a couple days when I get my hands on a new dropout.

Grizzler - Interesting about the brakes. My initial impression was that the brakes were a bit weak, but I have BB7s on my fatbike and they have always worked well. I haven't really investigated what the differences are (aside from the obvious brake levers) between the setups on the two bikes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Salsa Fargo Thread-img_20170516_190015.jpg  

The Salsa Fargo Thread-img_20170516_200659.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I'm looking for suggestions (pictures?) of front racks for the Fargo. I have a '17 with steel fork running 29x2.4s now, soon 27.5x3s. Prefer non low riders. I live pretty remotely (interior Alaska) making it hard to get my hands on actual products and shipping is expensive. I think the Velo Orange Randonneur and Surly 8/24 Pack would work. Maybe?
    Let me know what has worked well!

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Grizzler, what rack is that? Did you have to drill into the fork to make it work?

mtbr member
    Yeah, the hanger bent so that the derailleur was back in the wheel (luckily, no signs of spoke damage) and when I tugged it to clear the wheel, it snapped. Pictures attached. (Please excuse the mud - they are building bridges over some drainage, but they aren't done yet, hard to ride through without picking some up.) Derailleur seems Ok, but could be bent a bit. I'll know more in a couple days when I get my hands on a new dropout.

Grizzler - Interesting about the brakes. My initial impression was that the brakes were a bit weak, but I have BB7s on my fatbike and they have always worked well. I haven't really investigated what the differences are (aside from the obvious brake levers) between the setups on the two bikes.
    I found the MTB BB7 to be plenty powerful, but for some reason I just couldn't get the road version to be great.
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2016 Salsa Pony Rustler
    2014 Salsa Fargo
    Chips

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzler View Post
    I found the MTB BB7 to be plenty powerful, but for some reason I just couldn't get the road version to be great.
    It's a (incorrectly mounted) Surly 8-pack. I don't recommend it unless you want to custom fabricate a mounting bracket or add some crown braze-ons. I did not drill the fork, I just used the mid-blade mounts and the top cage mounts. I am waiting for a friend to make a me a block.
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2016 Salsa Pony Rustler
    2014 Salsa Fargo
    Chips

Members who have read this thread: 333