Page 112 of 166 FirstFirst ... 12 62 102 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 122 162 ... LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,800 of 4143
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by krshultz View Post
    I feel the same way about the Thudbuster / Anatomica combo. It's a little too much, it feels...wobbly. I also agree that I only come crashing down onto the nose of a saddle when something else has gone badly wrong. You make a good point that it's going to hurt with a Brooks, an Anatomica, or a whatever.

Thanks for the tip-off on that Thomson. I was just looking at their stuff and I guess i'll hold off for now.
    It depends how you're riding and what type of trails you're riding. But it things get technical, it's much easier to have a lower saddle that is a bit soft. I think Selle AnAtomica is generally designed for your saddle to be higher or level w/ your handlebars, whereas in mountain biking saddle is designed to be at same level or lower. So, for fire road touring, AnAtomica works well, but for singletrack, it's not optimal.

mtbr member
    Thought i'd post up a shot of my fargo since my daughter got me fenders for christmas and i think that i now have it where i want!

“An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

Harmonius Wrench

New Fork

I got this new 80mm travel Reba RL fork with G2, (51mm), offset for my Fargo Gen II. Can't wait for the trails to clear off in spring to try it out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Salsa Fargo Thread-p1050914.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Great thread. Good research for my first build. Got my Fargo 2013 frameset from the LBS last week. Will post some pics from the build.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Ok guys, this is serious. I ordered a Fargo TI 2012 - frame. Unfortunately I wonīt get it before January. Now because of the delivery delay the dealer offered me the 2013 model at a special price if I would wait for it. So the difference for me would be about 100 USD between these two frames. Downside is that I would have to wait even longer.

So far I heard the 2013 model is no longer made by Linskey in the US, butted tubes, better finish - if all that is true. I saw that there are no rear upper rack mounts, people must buy the salsa seatclamp. And they changed the cable routing. What about the weight?
    Any other arguments?

Thanks, guys!
    Richard

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by richmotion View Post
    I saw that there are no rear upper rack mounts, people must buy the salsa seatclamp. And they changed the cable routing.
    Wow...why would they get rid of the rear upper rack mounts? That would be a deal breaker for me. I do like the new cable routing on the 2013s though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I should add to actually provide a useful comment that I have a 2011 Ti Fargo which is still my favorite bike ever. As a matter of fact I'm loading it up now for quick overnighter tomorrow in the forecast snow! Should be interesting getting home if we get much more snow than predicted.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    How much longer is the wait time for the 2013, or do you know?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    As I order from Germany, Europe (living in Austria) any given information would not apply to US... My dealer said "end of January..." - the same dealer who said 1 - 5 days delivery time for the 2012 Fargo TI. That was 4 weeks ago.

Itīs not even the dealerīs fault, he getīs the info from the import company. I do not understand why they have nothing in stock, but say so. Nor do I understand why and how they can still order 2012 models. Maybe they canīt.

I see that one coming.

Given the fact I can still choose: Which one should I take? I still think the 2012 model is a good choice, I need less patience (hopefully) and spare a little money. And even I am not an US citizen I buy an american frame.

Regarding upper rear rack mounts: Yes, they are missing on the 2013 Fargo TI. You have to buy the Salsa Rack Lock seatclamp which has integrated rack mounts. I can only assume that Salsa wanted to reduce production costs by getting rid of them.

More riders switch from racks and bags to frame bags, overkill saddle bags and anything-cages. Maybe racks are overrated...

Richard

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Tough choice. I would take whichever one I could get.
    For what it's worth, my LBS (in the U.S.) checked his computer last week and said there were plenty of Fargo TI's (medium) available. I'm waiting to pull the trigger because I've never been able to ride a bluidy steel Fargo to confirm that it's the bike of my dreams. Soon as I do —

mtbr member
    I plan on writing a detailed account of my build. Here is a pic for now. I'm very happy with it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Topcat how are you enjoying the Topeak Rack and rear bag?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    MagicCarpt —
    Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but what is the rubber piece on your top tube? A bumper, for leaning against supports? I keep seeing these on Fargos but not on any other bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Owlish View Post
    MagicCarpt —
    Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but what is the rubber piece on your top tube? A bumper, for leaning against supports? I keep seeing these on Fargos but not on any other bike.
    Likely for when the bars spin around to protect the top tube. That is what I have one for.

mtbr member
    It's just to stop the bar ends from damaging the top tube. I started a thread about sizing Woodchipper bars in the Salsa forum a while back which contains some handy links to rubber bar ends that might negate the need for top tube protection. I am in Australia, so while the item is cheap, the postage makes it a bad value buy. I plan on making it a bit more attractive if I can and will get those bar ends one day. My bar end hits the cable mount, so no big deal as far as dings go, but could still damage bar tape.

EDIT: Sorry, I must have been typing when bmike posted.

Harmonius Wrench

Fargo Ti

We've got a customer at the shop where I work and we just got word his large 2013 Fargo Ti is shipping now. If I get permission to take some images, I will.

Rack mounts missing on the new ones will maybe lose a few folks, but rackless touring/bikepacking type set ups are what Salsa is designing this for I guess. Seems that works better off road for many. Vaya still has rack mounts, and is billed as their touring bike, so maybe that explains things better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicCarpet View Post
    It's just to stop the bar ends from damaging the top tube. I started a thread about sizing Woodchipper bars in the Salsa forum a while back which contains some handy links to rubber bar ends that might negate the need for top tube protection. I am in Australia, so while the item is cheap, the postage makes it a bad value buy. I plan on making it a bit more attractive if I can and will get those bar ends one day. My bar end hits the cable mount, so no big deal as far as dings go, but could still damage bar tape.

EDIT: Sorry, I must have been typing when bmike posted.
    The rubber bar ends suck, at least the ones I tried. Keep the tape / padding on there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Does anyone use a Revelate Tangle bag on their Large Fargo? What size Tangle bag do you recommend? It looks like it would either be the Medium or the Large as the Large Fargo has a 20" top tube. Does anyone run either the Medium or Large Tangle bag have a preference for any reason? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dysun View Post
    Topcat how are you enjoying the Topeak Rack and rear bag?
    I like them, easy on and off fairly roomy only down side is i can't put it on with my ortlieb panniers as the clips that hold them on stick up just high enough that the topeak bag won't slide into its track.
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    I got this new 80mm travel Reba RL fork with G2, (51mm), offset for my Fargo Gen II. Can't wait for the trails to clear off in spring to try it out.
    I have a 100mm X-Fusion Slide fork on mine, and I think it rides great (although the front end is a little high, and I do want to change the fork to 80mm), but my question is about the G2 geometry - how does it compare to a non-G2 fork? Does the bike handle better/easier due to the extra offset? Thank you!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    @the_agent: Best looking Fargo I've seen. Nice!
    Thanks! It took about 2 months to get all the parts together, but I think it was worth it. Quite the head turner. I'll post a before and after shot when I get a chance.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by anatolyg View Post
    I have a 100mm X-Fusion Slide fork on mine, and I think it rides great (although the front end is a little high, and I do want to change the fork to 80mm), but my question is about the G2 geometry - how does it compare to a non-G2 fork? Does the bike handle better/easier due to the extra offset? Thank you!
    First- Here is the Gen II Salsa Fargo geo page link for reference: Salsa Cycles | Bikes | Fargo 2

Notice that the fork length is 468mm. In other words, compensated for an 80mm travel fork. That explains why your 100mm fork, (and the G2 Fox 100mm fork I tried first), raises the bars up. Longer axle to crown there.

Secondly you will notice that the head angle is 71° on large Fargos w/stock fork installed. Fork offset is 45mm as listed on their site.

Any replacement suspension fork that is 80mm travel, non-G2 will be pretty close to Salsa's intended handling traits. However; that doesn't mean you can't "tune your ride" a bit.

Putting a G2 offset fork on the Fargo I have does two things- 1st it reduces the "trail figure" vs a 46mm offset Reba, which makes the handling a touch less stable/quicker. I like that. You may not. It is simply a choice I could make, or that anyone could make, if they wanted a sharper/quicker handling bike.

Secondly, that little bit more of an offset kicks the front tire out just a hair, reducing the possibility of toe overlap. I do not care about that, personally, but it is a "benefit" for some, possibly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Notice that the fork length is 468mm. In other words, compensated for an 80mm travel fork. That explains why your 100mm fork, (and the G2 Fox 100mm fork I tried first), raises the bars up. Longer axle to crown there.

Secondly you will notice that the head angle is 71° on large Fargos w/stock fork installed. Fork offset is 45mm as listed on their site.

Any replacement suspension fork that is 80mm travel, non-G2 will be pretty close to Salsa's intended handling traits. However; that doesn't mean you can't "tune your ride" a bit.

Putting a G2 offset fork on the Fargo I have does two things- 1st it reduces the "trail figure" vs a 46mm offset Reba, which makes the handling a touch less stable/quicker. I like that. You may not. It is simply a choice I could make, or that anyone could make, if they wanted a sharper/quicker handling bike.

Secondly, that little bit more of an offset kicks the front tire out just a hair, reducing the possibility of toe overlap. I do not care about that, personally, but it is a "benefit" for some, possibly.
    Thanks for a thorough explanation.

I think the first step for me is to correct the geometry by reducing front travel. Play around with it, and see what happens. I don't have overlap issues with my current setup, but, a quicker bike sounds interesting, though I'd rather just get better and see if it makes a difference. Thanks again.

never summer
    Quote Originally Posted by acoldsteadyrain View Post
    Does anyone use a Revelate Tangle bag on their Large Fargo? What size Tangle bag do you recommend? It looks like it would either be the Medium or the Large as the Large Fargo has a 20" top tube. Does anyone run either the Medium or Large Tangle bag have a preference for any reason? Thanks!
    I have a medium frame and my tangle bag is a small. I ordered it directly from Revelate and in my notes wrote if medium is big or small feel free to adjust my size to what fits the best. I got a sticker with a note on the back saying a small fits best (for a medium).
    Last edited by singlefin; 12-28-2012 at 10:01 PM.
    Fargo Ti + Moonlander + Necro Pug + Nature Boy