Page 112 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112
Results 5,551 to 5,591 of 5591
    mtbr member
    duplicate/deleted
    In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryonaspot View Post
    they sell the Gnarwahl.
    wow, eighty dollars for that? $80???
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Well if you're running a Jones bar, just find an old 25.4 stem and use that. Just wrap it with tape.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kevrider View Post
    i've been thinking about trekking bikes and handlebars lately, wondering... has anyone ever used a so-called 'trekking bar' on a Fargo, or on any other bike? it looks weird but it does have the multiple hand positions we call crave.

same question regarding this Velo Orange offering:

this one is really interesting, with the 'aero' position out front. i has just about everything you want. could it be, dare i say it... better than a jones bar? has anyone tried it?

i'm picturing Fargo for bike packing and something else for trekking, like a Trucker or a Sutra. but i'm starting to think a Rohloff would be the way to go for that and a Rohloff shifter on a dropbar bike seems like a hack, so i'm starting to look at the Jones bars. i never thought about using a Jones bar until Fargo+Jones came up in a recent thread on another forum. anyway, these two VO bars seem like interesting alternatives to the Loop....
    I have ridden both the butterfly style trekking bars and the Crazy bars for short periods, though neither on a Fargo.

First, both will drastically shorten you cockpit, considering the Fargo already has a short toptube might result in a pretty cramped setup.

The bike with the butterfly bars had them set up much lower then I would want, which seems inherent of their design, though that could be solved with a taller fork or stem. Other then that they seemed ok, though I could get see myself using the forward position. REI actually sells a bike with them, if you wanna try them out.

The Crazy bars were on a bike very similar to be I own and ride with standard riser bars. I expected them to be WAY to close and low but they actually felt really good. IMO the forward extensions didn't seem very usable due to their angle.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoLB View Post
    Well if you're running a Jones bar, just find an old 25.4 stem and use that. Just wrap it with tape.
    22.2mm?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have a jones carbon loop and a TI version on two bikes. If you wrap both the front and rear of the loop bar you can just rest your arms on the top without the gnarwal thingy. Also the loop is not 25.4, it is a much smaller diameter.

Be sure to tilt them down, this is one of the keys to success with using a Jones bar. I also like the woodchippers - those are on my Fargo which I use for commuting and gravel.
    "Nothing is free."

Fargo Ti / Jones TI Spaceframe SS / Mukluk Ti / Foundry Cross / Colnago Master / Cannondale Tandem

mtbr member

tire questions for v1 2009 fargo

Anybody tried the nobby nick 2.6? On a 2009 Fargo to be exact. Will they fit? I have i25 Stans Flow rims, the old ones rom 2009. The guys on the plus bike forum are saying i30 would be better. I will not be building a 29 inch wheel this year. What is the widest tire that will fit in a 09?

Second question, what is a good tire for road and dirt? Example, last august I rode from Klamath Falls south for 3 weeks. I had to ride the roads some, but took as many forest service roads and rail trails as I could find. Nano raptors are good, but fit the stans rims a little tight. What are the other choices.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Maxxis Crossmark: Crossmark II | Maxxis Tires USA

Quote Originally Posted by chrisx View Post
    Anybody tried the nobby nick 2.6? On a 2009 Fargo to be exact. Will they fit? I have i25 Stans Flow rims, the old ones rom 2009. The guys on the plus bike forum are saying i30 would be better. I will not be building a 29 inch wheel this year. What is the widest tire that will fit in a 09?

Second question, what is a good tire for road and dirt? Example, last august I rode from Klamath Falls south for 3 weeks. I had to ride the roads some, but took as many forest service roads and rail trails as I could find. Nano raptors are good, but fit the stans rims a little tight. What are the other choices.

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007

I have a 2009 Fargo as well, and recently put the Surly Extra-Terrestrial 2.5" tires on it with the original ~30mm outer width salsa semi rims. They measure 2.5" at the tread and 2.38" casing. They clear fine, but they don't have the knobs of a typical mountain bike tire.

As for your 2nd question, the Surly ET tires would be a good option. I ride mine on pavement and light singletrack. They roll really well on pavement, but have enough width to handle singletrack too.

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    same question regarding this Velo Orange offering:
    Attachment 1123460
    this one is really interesting, with the 'aero' position out front. i has just about everything you want. could it be, dare i say it... better than a jones bar? has anyone tried it?
    I have VO crazy bars on my Salsa Marrakesh. It's the flat bar frame version, so the frame has a longer top tube.

I like them, but do find it a bit challenging to setup and optimize both the rear and forward positions. I wish the forward extensions tilted back more.

The biggest advantage of VO crazy bars is that they are open in the middle, which allows use of a traditional, large handlebar bag.

Salsa Marrakesh by jon_baler, on Flickr

The surly moloko bar should be in stock "soon" as another alternative. It's a cross between the jones bar and vo crazy bar.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

I could *almost* fit my factory Krampus front wheel (3" Knard on 50mm rim) in my 2009 Fargo fork, so I'm sure the 2.6 on a 30mm or less rim would work in the front. Not sure about the rear.

For road/dirt, I've used the Kenda Happy Medium 40 and the Terrevail Cannonball 35 and been very happy with both.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuanswan View Post
    I could *almost* fit my factory Krampus
    For road/dirt, I've used the Kenda Happy Medium 40 and the Terrevail Cannonball 35 and been very happy with both.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik_A View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuanswan View Post

Almost fit a Knard? I tried a 3.0 Ranger, 26 x 3, (my 26er has a fargo fork,) though 1 mm clearance. The wheel was not perfectly true, so the tire rubbed in one spot. I did not flip the bike right side up.

Am I allowed to ask about mud tires while I am asking? I am thinking of visiting the rain forest in Guatemala. So, when I say mud I mean mud. April is the dry season, and so hot you sweat the dye out of your shirt. In the dry season it only rains enough to make mud like we see in north America. Somebody knows something about mud and how to deal with it. So starting with tires, speak up.

I just tossed out my Weirwolf 2.55 tires, (wore them down,) and my racing ralph 2.4 tires, (never liked them). I have some 35 mm and 40 mm road tires, never really used them. 8 and 10 year old tires had to go. I need modern tires, for Stans i25 Flows. In the next couple of years I see some desert rides, (Baja), a few Pacific Northwest and Northern California rides on road and gravel. Some of those Ncal back roads are soft and require some width. And a Mayan ruin adventure with possible mucho mud. The cannonball (above), tire looks good on paper. Do they fit on Stans tight fitting rims? Some tires are to tight on stans rims, including my 2 40mm road tires. Are the Cannonballs wide enough for sand patches? Like to find the widest tire that will fit the 2009 Fargo, for the desert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blbNINUB2yw

mtbr member
    Pardon me Sir, do you happen to have the weight of the Surly ET tires? Surly has some of the best ideas, but the weight of Surly stuff puts me off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIHXhFJ4FoM

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    Pardon me Sir, do you happen to have the weight of the Surly ET tires? Surly has some of the best ideas, but the weight of Surly stuff puts me off.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIHXhFJ4FoM
    No, I haven't seen it published anywhere. I will say the weight is very reasonable given these are a 2.5" wide and meant for off pavement touring. I wouldn't want them to be any lighter in this width for the types of trips you mention.

It's a myth that just because it says "surly" on it, it must be heavy and over-built. Their steel frames and fat bikes tires aren't much heavier than other brands given a apples/apples comparison of price and application.

mtbr member
    i find Conti Race King tires to be good for dirt and surprisingly good for pavement, really fast rolling. i don't have stans rims, so not sure how that goes. also not sure they would be better ET, certainly not on pavement.
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

mtbr member
    Surly ExtraTerrestrial tire
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffpoulin View Post
    I couldn't find the weight listed anywhere, so I contacted a bike shop in Portland, OR which just got them in. For info, the actual weight is 928g. That's pretty good considering a Schwalbe Marathon Mondial in 26x2.15 (Evo edition) is 865g. So the ET weighs 7% more than the Mondial, but has 35% more volume.
    had to dig a little, seems to be a 26er weight, so over a 1,000 grams?

Quote Originally Posted by renegade44 View Post
    No, I haven't seen it published anywhere. I will say the weight is very reasonable given these are a 2.5" wide and meant for off pavement touring. I wouldn't want them to be any lighter in this width for the types of trips you mention.

It's a myth that just because it says "surly" on it, it must be heavy and over-built. Their steel frames and fat bikes tires aren't much heavier than other brands given a apples/apples comparison of price and application.
    Some myths turn out to be true
    They seem good at predicting the future though. They had 3.0 tires years ago. In a couple of years everyone will have 4 water bottles on the fork.

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    Surly ExtraTerrestrial tire
    had to dig a little, seems to be a 26er weight, so over a 1,000 grams?
    I would have guessed they were lighter, and would not have thought they were on par with heavier 3" knobby tires. Hopefully somebody can weigh an actual 29er version to confirm.

mtbr member
    I have VO crazy bars on my Salsa Marrakesh. It's the flat bar frame version, so the frame has a longer top tube.

I like them, but do find it a bit challenging to setup and optimize both the rear and forward positions. I wish the forward extensions tilted back more.
    do you think it would have been easier to set up if you had a shorter top tube? or do you think the rear position would have been compromised?

The surly moloko bar should be in stock "soon" as another alternative. It's a cross between the jones bar and vo crazy bar.
    well, that thing is an interesting piece of work!
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    do you think it would have been easier to set up if you had a shorter top tube? or do you think the rear position would have been compromised?
    No, I have used a longer stem with them (120 mm), so always had the option of going shorter. I just recently changed to a 110 stem, so I'll see how that changes my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I'm waiting on my 2017 Fargo Rival build to show up, and I had a quick question for you guys. Does anybody know if the Whisky rims come taped for tubeless use from the factory? I'm about to order some tires and I'm trying to figure out if I need to get some wide tape as well.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 2, Cannondale CAAD12, Niner RLT9, Specialized Sirrus X1

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Mine came with rim strips but I don't think they are tubeless compatible.

I use 2 rounds of gorilla tape. Have a couple hundred miles on mine. No slow leaks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by misternicholas View Post
    Mine came with rim strips but I don't think they are tubeless compatible.

I use 2 rounds of gorilla tape. Have a couple hundred miles on mine. No slow leaks.
    Thanks for the quick response. I exchanged some emails with the guys at Whisky, and they thought it "might" come with tape, but they were not 100% sure. Thanks for chiming in and letting me know. Sounds like I should just go ahead and order some 40mm tape and have it ready to go.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 2, Cannondale CAAD12, Niner RLT9, Specialized Sirrus X1

CKD
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Has anyone ridden a 2016 and a 2017 back to back?

If so, any opinions? I'm a bit curious about how the new "stronger" tubing rides.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    i'm interested in the 2017 for the longer reach in the XL. hopefully someone can comment on that too!

mtbr member
    And crap. So I think I'm unexpectedly in need of a new frame, and I guess it's time for a fargo.

Anyone know when the 2017 framesets are expected to be available?

And is the frameset-only option just the grey with carbon fork this year?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    SPAM warning . . .

I have a perfect condition dynamo wheel that is uniquely suited to the 2017 Fargo in 27.5+ form. SP PD-8X hub (15mm thru-axle) with DT XM 551 rim (40mm inside, tubeless ready) and Sapim butted spokes. Currently taped for tubeless w/ valve installed.

FYI if anyone is interested before I go the eBay route, PM me.

trail rat
    There are free sale listings here on MTBR in case you did not know.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    And crap. So I think I'm unexpectedly in need of a new frame, and I guess it's time for a fargo.

Anyone know when the 2017 framesets are expected to be available?

And is the frameset-only option just the grey with carbon fork this year?
    It wasn't easy, but I was able to find a large '17 Fargo GX in Phx just after Christmas last year. Most shops I checked with were expecting stock mid-March. And yes, I believe the frame only option is gray, but calling it gray doesn't do it justice. It has purple, pearlescent undertones and is actually quite nice. Prefer the forest service green though. Loving the Fargo (and WC bar) on singletrack, BTW. Carves switchbacks and soaks up bumps far better than I expected. My $5K+ FS bike is turning into a garage queen.
    The older I get the better I was...

mtbr member
    ^ I've been doing the rigid+dirtdrops thing for a few years so I know what I'm getting into, but today I found a crack in my current frame. It's steel so I have to spend some time debating whether to fix it & get it repainted, or get a new frame and move things over.

Good to hear about the gray, though. It wouldn't have been my first preference, but I can't really stall 8 months and wait for the 2018s.
    Last edited by newfangled; 1 Week Ago at 08:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Call me a convert. Very surprised at how much I'm liking the dirt drops and the Fargo geo. Started riding mtb on rigid bikes in the 80s (when that was all there was) so being back on welded steel feels like coming home. Feels good, I must say.

Bummer about your frame, and good luck finding a replacement for your rebuild.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CKD View Post
    Has anyone ridden a 2016 and a 2017 back to back?

If so, any opinions? I'm a bit curious about how the new "stronger" tubing rides.
    Post DELETED due to major brain fart by the author.

mtbr member
    Can't find a review anywhere for the 2017 Fargo, but I've ordered it. ETA first of May.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

mtbr member
    There's so little information out there.

I know people have said that the 2017 has the same basic geo as the old deadwood, but I'm really curious about 29+ when seeing a photo like this (which uses the 27.5+ wheel):

The Salsa Fargo Thread-image-71.jpg

Anyone know how truly 29+ compatible the 2017 is? I guess the plate probably needs to be all the way back, which means no ss unless you luck out on your gearing?

mtbr member
    i have no personal experience, but there have been lots of complaints about clearance for 29+ on the fargo fb page.
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    i have no personal experience, but there have been lots of complaints about clearance for 29+ on the fargo fb page.
    Coming from a salsa Timberjack I will say I am NOT a fan of the alternator plates. Getting the ThruAxle in never feels right. Always feels like its getting cross threaded. I wanted the Fargo but after dealing with the plates on the Timberjack No thanks. To bad to because the bike has a lot of appeal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bhorocks View Post
    Coming from a salsa Timberjack I will say I am NOT a fan of the alternator plates. Getting the ThruAxle in never feels right. Always feels like its getting cross threaded. I wanted the Fargo but after dealing with the plates on the Timberjack No thanks. To bad to because the bike has a lot of appeal.
    you could just keep the plates loose, then tighten the axle, then tension the chain. i could be wrong. idk.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by buell View Post
    you could just keep the plates loose, then tighten the axle, then tension the chain. i could be wrong. idk.
    Not saying they don't work. Just don't really care for them. Given the option I would rather the frame just come setup for 148 spacing. The biggest selling point of the plates though is a single frame that supports lots of wheel choices. To each their own though!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Salsa Spring Sale

SPRING SPECIAL!

Cover Any Terrain: SPRING SPECIAL! | Salsa Cycles

We’re ushering in the warm weather riding season with a Spring Special on selected bikes and frames!

Complete bikes in this sale include specific Bucksaws, Mukluks, and Colossals. Framesets include specific Blackborow, Bucksaw, and Mukluk.

Spring Special prices are as follows!

Full Bikes:

2016 Salsa Bucksaw Carbon Bike / Orange Red $4500

2016 Salsa Bucksaw X01 Bike / Transparent Blue $2999

2016 Salsa Bucksaw GX1 Bike / Black $2295

2016 Salsa Mukluk Front Sus GX1 Bike / Black $1999

2016 Salsa Colossal Apex Bike/ White $1350

Frames:

2016 Salsa Bucksaw Carbon Frame / Orange Red $1499

2016 Salsa Mukluk Rigid Frameset / Black $599

2016 Salsa Blackborow Rigid Frameset / Green $650

Head to your local authorized Salsa Dealer and take advantage of these deals while supplies last!
    Last edited by Erik_A; 1 Week Ago at 05:53 PM.

Harmonius Wrench
    Dealers have reported several Timberjack frames being out of spec/alignment. Take yours in and have it checked. If it is out of alignment it should be warranted.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Not saying they don't work. Just don't really care for them. Given the option I would rather the frame just come setup for 148 spacing. The biggest selling point of the plates though is a single frame that supports lots of wheel choices. To each their own though!
    Also, based on my experience, the plates are never in stock. It's great that my frame can potentially run a different wheel config, but when are the plates for my intended config going to be available? smh

I had a mistrust of EBBs due to an old Biocentric, but after riding a bike with a bushnell ebb, I'm convinced these are better than the alternators (which I used to love except until I needed to get a plate).

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DoLB View Post
    Also, based on my experience, the plates are never in stock. It's great that my frame can potentially run a different wheel config, but when are the plates for my intended config going to be available? smh

I had a mistrust of EBBs due to an old Biocentric, but after riding a bike with a bushnell ebb, I'm convinced these are better than the alternators (which I used to love except until I needed to get a plate).
    The part number has been setup in QBP for well over a year. Literally since the Deadwood was announced. But to the best of my knowledge, Salsa has never shipped a single pair of them unattached to a bike, so none of us have ever been able to buy them.

This is particularly annoying now that we can see they exist. They are shipping on the Timberjack NX builds. Any yet Salsa still won't inventory/ship the plates alone. They are extremely basic items, literally 3mm alloy plate with some simple machining, evidenced by their $9.99 msrp. So why a company with the depth and breadth of QBP/Salsa can't figure out how to make and ship a few of them is beyond my comprehension.

mtbr member
    in a post above, i responded to this question by recommending Conti Race Kings, but i couldn't say anything about the tubeless setup with Notubes rims. well, i have a pair of 650b Stans rims and wanted to try them on my gravelly thing, so i mounted a pair of Race King 2.0 tires. the test fitting was a fail, 1.9 would been perfect, but the tires went onto the rims easily and sealed nicely.
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted