Page 111 of 161 FirstFirst ... 11 61 101 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 121 ... LastLast
Results 2,751 to 2,775 of 4007
    mtbr member
    May 2010
    You´re welcome. Since I plan a tour across the western US for next year (already did AZ on my Surly) I was thinking about waiting and buy a complete Fargo in the US.

But patience regarding a new bike is somewhat hard to obtain...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

flat bars

Great pictures and nice looking bike.

Do flat bars change the rec'd frame size vs drop bars??

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueViajero View Post
    Hispanic Fargo:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Best Regards

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Owlish View Post
    Good points. I'll be patient. Thanks for replying!
    I have a US made fargo ti in XL for sale. ridden for 112km.

PM if interested

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rides2slow View Post
    Great pictures and nice looking bike.

Do flat bars change the rec'd frame size vs drop bars??

Thanks.

Thanks for your kind words.
    As for your question, I bought my usual size frame, never mounted bar drops. It's a little shorter than abitual but better so, with the stem can be configured to own taste.
    Greetings.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlueViajero View Post
    Thanks for your kind words.
    As for your question, I bought my usual size frame, never mounted bar drops. It's a little shorter than abitual but better so, with the stem can be configured to own taste.
    Greetings.
    Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Looking for a 2012 Fargo ti. Any on-line vendors? Any help would be appreciated.....Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Me too! Size medium. TIA

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Fargo cockpit tweaking

Really inspiring stuff - glad you're riding. I built up my Salsa Fargo 2012 a few weeks ago, and have gone on a few single track rides around Phoenix on it. The initial build was:

- On One Mary bars
    - x9 grip shifters + ergon grips
    - bb7 brakes
    - Mavic T521 wheels (super heavy)
    - FSA 20mm offset seatpost, 350mm
    - old-school, what looks like an 8 sp crank (nice shape, strong) 22/34/44
    - xt front D
    - x9 rear D
    - 11-34 9sp cassette
    - thomson 110mm x 5 degree stem

Mary bars are great. They really put you back and upright. So upright, I feel like it's too much. I just tweaked the bars a little, instead of the Marys I put on the on one Fleegle bar, with a thomson 100mm x 0 degree stem. The position def feels more aggressive.

I really like the grip shifters - they are precise, easy to use and don't interfere with grip. Downside is since the shifter is fatter than the grip, it does feel odd. Not too bad, but I'm still getting used to it.

I also have ridden the bike with a suspension fork, x-fusion slide 29. It's currently set at 100mm, but I'll change it to 80mm soon - 100mm is just too much for that frame, feels off.

Anyway, the fargo is a great hard tail as well. I really enjoy some of the rockier/more technical terrain with a suspension fork more than without.

I'll post back re: Fleegle bars after a few rides.

Quote Originally Posted by bwfox View Post
    I have been reading this thread since its' inception. in 2011 I debated between a Stumpjumper Comp 29er and the Fargo. I was working pt at a small LBS and the killer employee purchase on the Stumpy won me over. Fast forward a year and I had my left leg amputated below the knee. I decided my offroad would be a little more limited and we had moved 20 miles out of town with 5 miles of gravel to get to the ,mailbox and pavement. I gave my stumpy to a son and I ordered a Fargo. I am 5'10' with 34" inseam, ape arms, and a very short torso. As an indicator, my wife is 5'4", and she towers over me when we sit together on the sofa. When the Fargo came in, I knew I wanted to try and set it up with the drops. I left the steerer uncut and used an adjustable stem to allow me to get it dialed. I left the Woodchipper IIs on for 8 months. I eventually installed some inline cable adjusters to allow me to fine tune the derailleurs. With the Sram stuff, they should be included. I have not needed the ones for the BB7s, but I did need some for shifters. As winter approached, I went to some riser bars with Ergon grips with bar ends and X7 shifters and Avid brake levers. I also moved my stem down the steerer a couple of inches and used a 25mm longer stem. I also had to move my saddle back. I really like the set up for now. I hope to add a Mukluk to my stable in 2013 and then I would rebar the Fargo. I have liked the 10 speed cluster and I have enough gearing choices with the stock double. I just don't think I want to go back to the Apex shifters. I am thinking a Mary bar or something that gives multiple hand positions with mountain bike shifters and brake levers. I don't see myself doing enough offroad to justify suspension forks and giving up the multiple cage functions of the stock fork. I may even use some Gripshift on the next set up. I would have a mtn bar on a Mukluk with X5 or
    X7s.
    I have really enjoyed the Fargo and it would be the last one to leave. We ride a Burley tandem and the Fargo is my solo bike. I also have a 2013 Specialized CF Roubaix. It would be the first to leave, and it might to make room for a Muk.
    I don't do any touring. I have a 50 mile loop into town and back and the first 27 miles are dirt/gravel and then the highway back with the last 5 on the dirt again. The Fargo excells!
    The Muk would be my winter bike and a spare offroad bike for one of my sons in the summer.
    Thanks for all the years of keeping my Fargo lust active! I live in NE Nevada and have thousands of miles of old two track, but not much singletrack. I keep thinking of trying to raise Doug ID whenever we go to Lewsiston to visit her family. That's where she was born.
    Bert

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I got a Selle Anatomica "Titanico X" saddle for mine last week, and have put 60 or so miles on it so far. It is absolutely fantastic - I really had no idea a bike saddle could be this comfortable.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Titanico

Quote Originally Posted by krshultz View Post
    I got a Selle Anatomica "Titanico X" saddle for mine last week, and have put 60 or so miles on it so far. It is absolutely fantastic - I really had no idea a bike saddle could be this comfortable.
    Yea, I, too, put a Titanico on my Fargo a couple of weeks ago. I bought the Mahogony one. It matches the decal on the 2012 Fargo 2. It has been surprisingly nice. I have tried Brooks 3 times and end up not being happy with them. I am going to put a Titanico on my new CX bike that is coming. Then I need to put a suspension fork on the Fargo. I am still liking the X7 shifters and brakes on a longer flatter stem and a riser ATB bars. I have held the Woodchippers back with the Apex brifters in case I decide to use them for long distance rides.
    '13 CDale CAADX
    '12 Spec Camber Comp
    '12 Salsa Fargo
    "Riding with one leg is way better than not riding"

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    For the folks on here who haven't noticed: Selle Anatomica has their saddles on sale right now for $99.00. If you're riding on a saddle you don't like right now, it's something to consider.

Another note: I asked about carrying the bicycle by the nose of the saddle. They said they'd rather I not do that, since these bikes can get so heavy fully loaded. I have a staircase to climb on my commute, and there's really no way around having to carry the bike up it. Mine's heavy enough with just my rear rack and commuting gear - I can't imagine what some of the bikepacking rigs on here weigh. In any case, with a loaded Fargo, it's best to not carry it by the nose of a Titanico saddle. Just FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by bwfox View Post
    Yea, I, too, put a Titanico on my Fargo a couple of weeks ago. I bought the Mahogony one. It matches the decal on the 2012 Fargo 2. It has been surprisingly nice. I have tried Brooks 3 times and end up not being happy with them. I am going to put a Titanico on my new CX bike that is coming. Then I need to put a suspension fork on the Fargo. I am still liking the X7 shifters and brakes on a longer flatter stem and a riser ATB bars. I have held the Woodchippers back with the Apex brifters in case I decide to use them for long distance rides.
    Ha! I got the same color for the same exact reason. And I'm thinking about binning the Thudbuster now, too. I figure I can get the weight I added with the Titanico back if I switch to something like a Thomson seatpost. Maybe. It's not like I bought this bike for it to be a flyweight racing machine anyway.

I ordered a standard Titanico, and was sent a Titanico X by mistake. I weigh 160 or so, and figured I needed the standard model, so I emailed. The next day, I got a phone call from them. We decided that I'd stick with the X, since I'm doing some off road riding. Not only that, if I didn't like the X, I can send it back through their usual return policy and get a standard. I currently have no intention of ever giving this saddle back to anybody, for any reason. I absolutely love it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Selle-AnAtomica on a Fargo

What type of terrain are you riding? I put a Titanico on my Fargo, as I love it on my road and touring bike, but, riding single track on it was literally a pain in the ass (and elsewhere). I was constantly in fear of coming down hard on the nose of that thing and really hurting myself.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by anatolyg View Post
    What type of terrain are you riding? I put a Titanico on my Fargo, as I love it on my road and touring bike, but, riding single track on it was literally a pain in the ass (and elsewhere). I was constantly in fear of coming down hard on the nose of that thing and really hurting myself.
    Mostly paved stuff sine I got the Anatomica. My commute to work is 10 miles each way. There is some bounding through parking lots, construction sites, and over curbs and stuff, but its mostly paved road and greenway. There is also a stretch of singletrack, but I haven't had a real singletrack ride for any amount of time in months now.

When I do ride singletrack on this bike, I can't say that I'm super racy or aggressive. But it's been months now, and I'm in a lot better shape than I was, so maybe that will change.

Have you got the Thudbuster (or some other suspension seat post) on yours?

mtbr member
    Quick question. Can I put Deore trigger shifters..or any kind of trigger shifter on the stock Woodchipper 2 bars?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Mostly paved stuff sine I got the Anatomica. My commute to work is 10 miles each way. There is some bounding through parking lots, construction sites, and over curbs and stuff, but its mostly paved road and greenway. There is also a stretch of singletrack, but I haven't had a real singletrack ride for any amount of time in months now.

When I do ride singletrack on this bike, I can't say that I'm super racy or aggressive. But it's been months now, and I'm in a lot better shape than I was, so maybe that will change.

Have you got the Thudbuster (or some other suspension seat post) on yours?
    Makes sense. For pavement, the AnAtomica saddle is boss. I tried both it and a brooks b17 on singletrack here in Phoenix, and I liked the b17 a bit better, but both were just inadequate for that type of riding. I just picked up a Selle SMP saddle, so we'll see about that.

I don't have a thudbuster on the bike, and I am not really sure I'll get one - the issue isn't so much the vibration, it's the hard landing. And even with a thudbuster, a hard landing on a hard saddle maybe damaging.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethany1 View Post
    Quick question. Can I put Deore trigger shifters..or any kind of trigger shifter on the stock Woodchipper 2 bars?

Nope: Road controls only.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus7Clark View Post
    If you've got some specific questions, create a new post. We all need more pics.

Here ya go. New gold ano Midge Bars on my Fargo Gen I that started this thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Makes sense. For pavement, the AnAtomica saddle is boss. I tried both it and a brooks b17 on singletrack here in Phoenix, and I liked the b17 a bit better, but both were just inadequate for that type of riding. I just picked up a Selle SMP saddle, so we'll see about that.

I don't have a thudbuster on the bike, and I am not really sure I'll get one - the issue isn't so much the vibration, it's the hard landing. And even with a thudbuster, a hard landing on a hard saddle maybe damaging.
    I can see how coming down hard on the business end of an Anatomica could be...eventful. On the other hand, in the small number of times I've done that with other bikes and saddles over the years, none have been a picnic. Aside from the hard nose and a perfectly reasonable fear of falling onto it, was there anything else that made you dislike the saddle on singletrack? Just curious. I'll be trying mine for the first time this weekend, weather and wife permitting.

I put another several rides on the Anatomica, all on pavement with occasional detours through the woods. Yes. It is boss on pavement, just unbelievably good. I might ditch the Thudbuster. As I've gotten more fit, I find that on climbs, I feel like I'm bouncing around all over the place with that post.

Anyway, this '12 Fargo 2 is fast becoming one of my favorite things I've ever owned. I've been having a blast with it. I never, ever would have predicted that I would bike 10 miles to work on a 35 degree day, but here I am, doing just that a few days a week. I can't imagine a better all purpose, goes anywhere bike for me.
    Last edited by krshultz; 12-20-2012 at 05:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I can see how coming down hard on the business end of an Anatomica could be...eventful. On the other hand, in the small number of times I've done that with other bikes and saddles over the years, none have been a picnic. Aside from the hard nose and a perfectly reasonable fear of falling onto it, was there anything else that made you dislike the saddle on singletrack? Just curious. I'll be trying mine for the first time this weekend, weather and wife permitting.

I snow put another several rides on the Anatomica, all on pavement with occasional detours through the woods. Yes. It is boss on pavement, just unbelievably good. I might ditch the Thudbuster. As I've gotten more fit, I find that on climbs, I feel like I'm bouncing around all over the place with that post.

Anyway, this '12 Fargo 2 is fast becoming one of my favorite things I've ever owned. I've been having a blast with it. I never, ever would have predicted that I would bike 10 miles to work on a 35 degree day, but here I am, doing just that a few days a week. I can't imagine a better all purpose, goes anywhere bike for me.
    Yeah, beside the fear of coming down on it, my sit bones would get beaten up on it. I hear maybe tilting the seat a bit may help it, maybe I'll try that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yeah, beside the fear of coming down on it, my sit bones would get beaten up on it. I hear maybe tilting the seat a bit may help it, maybe I'll try that.
    I have mine tilted nose-up by probably 1/4". The directions they sent me with my billing statement said to start at 1/8" nose p, and go for a ride. With no hands on the bars, see if I slid forward, and to tilt the seat back more until I didn't. It looks a little funny, and now that I think about it, that cold exacerbate the fear of coming down on it some.

never summer
    I really like the B17 off-road, it seems to dampen things and take the edge of vibes. I didn't care for the Thudbuster and B17...was to much. I should pick up a firm elastamor and give it another go or mount the WTB Silverado to it. I could see running it with something like a WTB. For off-road I don't know why you are landing on your saddle...operator error in my experience has had me bounce on the nose and smash 'em. Any groin to saddle contact is gonna hurt. I'd suggest working to be more suspension like with your arms and legs anticipating impacts.

On another note, I'm not having good luck with the Thomson X2. It slips every now and then. Might have to go back to my x4 until I can find one with similar rise.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by singlefin View Post
    I really like the B17 off-road, it seems to dampen things and take the edge of vibes. I didn't care for the Thudbuster and B17...was to much. I should pick up a firm elastamor and give it another go or mount the WTB Silverado to it. I could see running it with something like a WTB. For off-road I don't know why you are landing on your saddle...operator error in my experience has had me bounce on the nose and smash 'em. Any groin to saddle contact is gonna hurt. I'd suggest working to be more suspension like with your arms and legs anticipating impacts.

On another note, I'm not having good luck with the Thomson X2. It slips every now and then. Might have to go back to my x4 until I can find one with similar rise.
    I feel the same way about the Thudbuster / Anatomica combo. It's a little too much, it feels...wobbly. I also agree that I only come crashing down onto the nose of a saddle when something else has gone badly wrong. You make a good point that it's going to hurt with a Brooks, an Anatomica, or a whatever.

Thanks for the tip-off on that Thomson. I was just looking at their stuff and I guess i'll hold off for now.

never summer
    So I spoke with Thomson and they are replacing my X2. Said the bore on the newer ones is smaller. I'll update after I get it. Wasn't expecting that since its intended use is road. Either way awesome customer service!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I went in a different direction:

-Brooks B17 honey saddle
    -Brooks honey bartape
    -Schwalbe Big Apples 29x2.0
    -Woody's Fenders - custom made Brazilian walnut
    -Portland Design Works payload rack

Harmonius Wrench
    @the_agent: Best looking Fargo I've seen. Nice!