Page 111 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111
Results 5,501 to 5,513 of 5513
    Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    Schwable marathon supreme
    Soma shikoro
    Schwable big ones

Depends on how much flat protection you want. Ragbrai is supported right? Go light and supple tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Yep, it is supported, predominantly pavement with a small bit of gravel/dirt potentially.

I am glad you mention the Schwalbe Big Ones. I was really curious about them. Schwalbe claims they have very low rolling resistance for such big tires. It sounds right up my alley.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ciquta View Post
    last year I did a 1500km road/lightgravel trip with 2.35" big apples, and couldn't be happier

loved the cushion, fast rolling at reasonable pressure and good protection (only one flat)

so much that i've put a pair also on my urban bike

That looks and sounds awesome! I am afraid everyone will think I am crazy running such wide tires... and the resistance could suck.... but I like the cushiness of big tires. I may try Big Apples or Big Ones or Big Bens... So many big Schwalbe options.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SocratesDiedTrolling View Post
    That looks and sounds awesome! I am afraid everyone will think I am crazy running such wide tires... and the resistance could suck.... but I like the cushiness of big tires. I may try Big Apples or Big Ones or Big Bens... So many big Schwalbe options.
    honestly?
    I think you would be ridiculous running 40mm tires on a Fargo...

2.35" is the sleekest I can go now, looking forward to put my hands on the new Surly Extraterrestrial 29x2.5"

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    Yep, it is supported, predominantly pavement with a small bit of gravel/dirt potentially.

I am glad you mention the Schwalbe Big Ones. I was really curious about them. Schwalbe claims they have very low rolling resistance for such big tires. It sounds right up my alley.
    The big ones in 2.35 are way fast and fun! I've been using them on mixed surface riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    You would think the resistance would suck, but compare the Big One to other road and touring tires and you'll be very surprised....

Schwalbe Big One LiteSkin Rolling Resistance Review

Road Bike Tires Rolling Resistance Reviews

Tour/E-Bike Tires Rolling Resistance Reviews
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert
    '15 Crossrip Ltd

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks, everyone! I am definitely gonna take a hard look at Big Ones. What do people think of Serfas Drifters? I am gonna throw those on just for now since they are cheap and already present at the bike shop. I may upgrade to something pricier like the Schwalbe ones once the event is closer. I imagine the Serfas Drifter, while smooth, is not so fast rolling as the Schwalbes.

mtbr member
    I don't think the big ones are a good choice on paved road.
    They are made for sandy terrain, expect low protection and quick wear on hard surfaces.

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I think the Big Ones are being replaced by the G One Speed, same carcass with a gravel type tread.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Anyone know how the dropouts will differ between the 27+ and 29+? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joedeltron View Post
    Anyone know how the dropouts will differ between the 27+ and 29+? Thanks!
    Not sure I understand the question. Assuming your wheelsets are the same spacing, don't you just slide the Alternator dropouts back or (or forward) to accommodate the width/heigth of the tire? I've seen nothing to suggest a dropout change is needed, except when converting to thru axle, SS, or internal gear hub.
    Last edited by veloborealis; 1 Hour Ago at 02:17 PM. Reason: Clarity
    The older I get the better I was...

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I was under the impression that the Woodsmoke had some different dropouts to take care of bottom bracket height changes when going from different sized wheelsets. And I was seeing if the same thing applies to the 2017 Fargo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joedeltron View Post
    I was under the impression that the Woodsmoke had some different dropouts to take care of bottom bracket height changes when going from different sized wheelsets. And I was seeing if the same thing applies to the 2017 Fargo.
    I don't know about the WS, but I've seen nothing about dropouts to fine tune BB height for the Fargo. Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in.
    The older I get the better I was...