Page 110 of 177 FirstFirst ... 10 60 100 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 120 160 ... LastLast
Results 2,726 to 2,750 of 4412
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

front der

sorry if this has been asked but what front derailleur are people using

2OFME
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bnelson View Post
    campy centaur triple with barcon shifters on an XT 3 ring crankset

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Have a shimano xt derailleur with force shifters. Took an xt 2 ring crankset and converted it to 44-28.

never summer
    Quote Originally Posted by bnelson View Post
    The new version of the Fargo requires a top-pull front derailleur, the previous one uses a bottom pull low clamp. I run a SRAM X7 low clamp dual pull.
    Fargo Ti + Moonlander + Necro Pug + Nature Boy

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for all the information will look into all the options

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

IMG_8843 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

IMG_8840 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

time to put on the studs...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Suspension Fork Options

So what susser fork could I use on the Fargo? I want an 80mm and I want to run my stock wheels with 9mm QR axles. I have a Gen II in a L. I want a decent fork for light trail use. I have some riser bars and X7 shifters. I don't want to spend $500 or more...
    '13 CDale CAADX
    '12 Spec Camber Comp
    '12 Salsa Fargo
    "Riding with one leg is way better than not riding"

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I run the Schwalbe Marathon Dureme 700x50 on my Fargo with Stans rim strips on the stock DT Swiss rims. I use the bike as a commuter over gravel and paved roads along with bike paths. Seems to be a great tire that does well on all surfaces.

Challenged by Gravity
    Oct 2008

First impressions

Thanks to everyone for this great thread. It was really helpful in deciding to get a Fargo. Just wanted to comment on some of the topics that have been discussed regarding the Fargo, sizing, toe overlap, etc. I am 6'2" with long arms and legs, and size 49 feet. I went with the large size. It fits very well with stock components and is my most comfortable bike by far (also have stumpy and roubaix). With regards to toe overlap, it is close. I have about a half inch of room between my toes and the Race King tires that come stock. Am I going to install fenders, no. Size 2.4 inch tires, maybe. Studded 2.4 inch tires, probably not unless I want my toes aerated, will depend on the true tire size. But I am really happy with this size because I have been doing a fair bit of mountain biking with it and the clearance is good and the wheel base is even shorter than my stumpy which I really appreciate on some of the technical stuff (this is not a point and shoot bike ;-). I also use it commuting and it is a great commuting bike for all the canal trails, bike paths, and gravel paths that I take to work. Even good for the construction zones. It really is a go everywhere bike and really happy I chose it over the vaya that I was also looking at. My stumpy and roubaix and both starting to collect dust and are not happy with the new addition to the stable! ;-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Salsa Fargo Thread-fargo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Nice Fargo. I wear size 49 insulated Northwave winter shoes and have fenders on my XL 2012 Fargo and haven't had any issues with clearance. Tires are 700x50 but I also did a few rides with the Race Kings before changing and had ok clearance as well with Planet Bike fenders. If I do a bikepacking trip I'll pull the 2.4 ardents off my NinerRIP and remove the fenders. Hopefully there is still room for toe clearance. Is the picture taken near Buffalo Creek? I don't recognize the trail sign but it looks like the landscape. By the way, my Roubaix is a little lonelier as well!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hi 7ski, I too opted for the Fargo in lieu of the Vaya. Couldn't be happier. Really feel like there are few limits with the Fargo, and the sacrifice in terms of speed/road riding appears to me to be negligible at best.

mtbr member
    The Fargo is quite possibly the best all-around (non-downhill/serious mountain biking) bike going right now. Light>moderate singletrack, gravel, paved, fire roads, touring etc. It handles it all.

It has become my preferred bike in my stable. I have a Bianchi San Jose I used to use for gravel riding, and it is now collecting dust.
    "Ride what you love, love what you ride"

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm asking here because many Fargos have Thudbusters, as does mine: how do you adjust the angle of the seat with a Thudbuster? I'm going to try that, or maybe a new saddle, as I love my Fargo, but it's become a literal pain in the nuts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Thudbuster

The thud buster has two adjustment screws on the bottom u can change the angle with.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Loosen the rear screw, then adjust with the knurled knob/screw that is about 4-5 cm in front of that and tighten the rear screw again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by acoldsteadyrain View Post
    Hi 7ski, I too opted for the Fargo in lieu of the Vaya. Couldn't be happier. Really feel like there are few limits with the Fargo, and the sacrifice in terms of speed/road riding appears to me to be negligible at best.
    I have a 30 mile one way commute and lose about 15 minutes of total time vs my light carbon road bike. Average speed difference about 2 mph. The comfort of the bike is worth it plus being able to jump curbs and hit potholes without worry. The bike is the Swiss Army knife of bikes!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The 6 mile climb from my house to the usual meeting place for most of my road bike rides takes about 30 minutes on the road bike and about 32 on the MTB with Race Kings. From there, I lose about 1-1.5 mph over the next 13 miles and 2100' of climbing. Downhill, if I don't spin out, I keep up just fine. Actually, if I spin out, I can keep up by tucking.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    This might be pure sacrilege, but just a quick preview of the direction I'm going in as it currently sits in the shop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Salsa Fargo Thread-white-schwalbe.jpg  

The Salsa Fargo Thread-leather-bar-tape.jpg  

2OFME
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Miltony527 View Post
    Is your frame bag a Carousel Design Works? I'm fascinated by those. Salsa should make a production frame bag for this bike.
    They do!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Two years ago I thought about the Fargo, but since I had most parts from an old bike, I ended up with the Surly Cross Check, which is an excellent versatile bike. I never got the Fargo out of my head though.

Yesterday I ordered a Salsa Fargo Titanium Frame!

Model 2012 - there are some left here in Europe, and much cheaper than the 2013-model which is still not available here. I also ordered some serious parts, I think I got the right symbiosis of price, weight and durability.

Ready to go my Fargo should weigh around 23,2 lbs, naked. Added with fenders and racks it should make a very light touring bike. Stripped I will have an excellent CC-mountainbike, which should handle everything I am able to.
    I am very looking forward to build it up. I will post pictures and parts list when finished...

Richard

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Richmotion:
    So if several of us put together a group buy for European Ti Fargos and made it worth your while, would you buy them and ship to us here in the U.S.?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by richmotion View Post
    Two years ago I thought about the Fargo, but since I had most parts from an old bike, I ended up with the Surly Cross Check, which is an excellent versatile bike. I never got the Fargo out of my head though.

Yesterday I ordered a Salsa Fargo Titanium Frame!

Model 2012 - there are some left here in Europe, and much cheaper than the 2013-model which is still not available here. I also ordered some serious parts, I think I got the right symbiosis of price, weight and durability.

Ready to go my Fargo should weigh around 23,2 lbs, naked. Added with fenders and racks it should make a very light touring bike. Stripped I will have an excellent CC-mountainbike, which should handle everything I am able to.
    I am very looking forward to build it up. I will post pictures and parts list when finished...

Richard
    Good project!
    Greetings.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hispanic Fargo:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Best Regards

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Owlish View Post
    Richmotion:
    So if several of us put together a group buy for European Ti Fargos and made it worth your while, would you buy them and ship to us here in the U.S.?
    First you should know that the Fargo TI 2012 is sold for USD 2122 here in Europe. That was the cheapest one available, Frame only, of course. In your case I would wait for the 2013, I strongly believe that the newer frame is still cheaper in the US than the older one here in EU. If you are still interested I could ask how many there are left and what the shipping to the US would cost. But I think it is not worth shipping an already more expensive frame back to the US...

Regards,
    Richard

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Good points. I'll be patient. Thanks for replying!