Page 109 of 161 FirstFirst ... 9 59 99 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 119 159 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,725 of 4003
    mtbr member
    The 2013 brown looks awesome ...so much better than Salsa's web photos suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by BigE610 View Post

mtbr member
    Loving my Fargo Now with brown Brooks B17 and brown Salsa Gel bar tape.

Still fiddling with my cockpit geometry, choice is between a 90mm or 100mm hi-rise stem. The 90mm I currently have fitted (borrowed from another bike!) gives a great position but the front wheel is a little light on steep climbs.

For non-UK readers, these pics are titled 'Farguynaut' as they were taken on Nov 5 'Guy Faulkes' day

Farguynaut Ride by jason-l, on Flickr

Farguynaut Ride by jason-l, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Beautiful sunset Tim..... or beautiful dawn?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks everyone for the ideas!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueViajero View Post
    Beautiful sunset Tim..... or beautiful dawn?
    Do you mean 'Jason'? If so, thank you and it's a sunset here in Scotland

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    This may or may not be the right forum for this, but what backpack do people like who ride the Fargo on multi-day bikepacking trips? Looking for something not too big with a water bladder about 3 liters... Any recs?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by acoldsteadyrain View Post
    This may or may not be the right forum for this, but what backpack do people like who ride the Fargo on multi-day bikepacking trips? Looking for something not too big with a water bladder about 3 liters... Any recs?
    I have an older rei bag that has held up really well. Holds a bladder and everything. I got it from their online outlet for a steal

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jason-l View Post
    Do you mean 'Jason'? If so, thank you and it's a sunset here in Scotland
    I`m so sorry Jason.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

First Post

I have been reading this thread since its' inception. in 2011 I debated between a Stumpjumper Comp 29er and the Fargo. I was working pt at a small LBS and the killer employee purchase on the Stumpy won me over. Fast forward a year and I had my left leg amputated below the knee. I decided my offroad would be a little more limited and we had moved 20 miles out of town with 5 miles of gravel to get to the ,mailbox and pavement. I gave my stumpy to a son and I ordered a Fargo. I am 5'10' with 34" inseam, ape arms, and a very short torso. As an indicator, my wife is 5'4", and she towers over me when we sit together on the sofa. When the Fargo came in, I knew I wanted to try and set it up with the drops. I left the steerer uncut and used an adjustable stem to allow me to get it dialed. I left the Woodchipper IIs on for 8 months. I eventually installed some inline cable adjusters to allow me to fine tune the derailleurs. With the Sram stuff, they should be included. I have not needed the ones for the BB7s, but I did need some for shifters. As winter approached, I went to some riser bars with Ergon grips with bar ends and X7 shifters and Avid brake levers. I also moved my stem down the steerer a couple of inches and used a 25mm longer stem. I also had to move my saddle back. I really like the set up for now. I hope to add a Mukluk to my stable in 2013 and then I would rebar the Fargo. I have liked the 10 speed cluster and I have enough gearing choices with the stock double. I just don't think I want to go back to the Apex shifters. I am thinking a Mary bar or something that gives multiple hand positions with mountain bike shifters and brake levers. I don't see myself doing enough offroad to justify suspension forks and giving up the multiple cage functions of the stock fork. I may even use some Gripshift on the next set up. I would have a mtn bar on a Mukluk with X5 or
    X7s.
    I have really enjoyed the Fargo and it would be the last one to leave. We ride a Burley tandem and the Fargo is my solo bike. I also have a 2013 Specialized CF Roubaix. It would be the first to leave, and it might to make room for a Muk.
    I don't do any touring. I have a 50 mile loop into town and back and the first 27 miles are dirt/gravel and then the highway back with the last 5 on the dirt again. The Fargo excells!
    The Muk would be my winter bike and a spare offroad bike for one of my sons in the summer.
    Thanks for all the years of keeping my Fargo lust active! I live in NE Nevada and have thousands of miles of old two track, but not much singletrack. I keep thinking of trying to raise Doug ID whenever we go to Lewsiston to visit her family. That's where she was born.
    Bert
    '13 CDale CAADX
    '12 Spec Camber Comp
    '12 Salsa Fargo
    "Riding with one leg is way better than not riding"

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    hi guys

can somebody give me a favor and measure an L-sized fargo front to rear and floor to top?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hi wombat, I have a L Fargo 2 2013.

The height, from the top of the hoods to the tire, is 108cm or 42in.
    From tire to tire it measures 183cm or 72in.

Hope that helps!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by i.wombat View Post
    hi guys

can somebody give me a favor and measure an L-sized fargo front to rear and floor to top?
    Of course, the stem choice and position would effect the height measurement by quite a bit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Careby View Post
    I have come to the conclusion that drop bars aren't going to work for me. My back is old and battered and demands an upright, relaxed riding position. I've tried to get that with Woodchipper bars on the Fargo, but at the height I need they just don't work.

The good news is that while the Fargo's short top tube and high head tube work against mounting a flat bar in "normal" mountain bike riding position, it's fine for the upright, relaxed position I'm looking for. My most comfortable bike is a LHT with Surly Open Bar on a high stem. Measuring it side-by-side with my Fargo, it's very similar and I can see that it would easily be possible to get the same position. The Fargo has a couple more inches of uncut steerer tube height, but because of the head tube angle it intrudes back into the cockpit space. Even though I need the height, I plan to cut the steerer tube and use a high angle stem for more "belly room". I've ordered a set of H-bars to try on the Fargo, but if they don't work out I can fall back to the Open Bar.

So put me on the list of deviants who have strayed from the official "drop bar only" Fargo design.
    Because of my unique build and riding with a prosthetic, the Fargo makes an awesome relaxed mtn bike fit. I am 5'10" with 34" inseam and long arms and very short torso. The riser bars and Sram mtn bike controls are nice and better than the Apex for me...
    '13 CDale CAADX
    '12 Spec Camber Comp
    '12 Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by docfuel View Post
    I'm looking for a go anywhere bike. I was thinking a monster cross style with a 29er frame, rigid fork and drop bars. As a background, I'm really a competitive triathlete who likes to bike. Three years ago, I was talked into getting a mountain bike, and I get a huge kick out of it. It may even be benefiting my racing. I'm nowhere near skilled enough for technical single track riding, so I stick steeper fire roads and a few easier single and double tracks. I want a bike that I can take on on a trip and enjoy most anything that they have out there. I might even want 2 sets of wheels with different tires for pure trail or mixed riding.

Some of the frames I've considered are the Fargo and the Soma Juice. It was suggested that consider a Surly Ogre. It appears, from the comments here, that the Fargo might be just the bike I need. I notice that there were some reports of shimmy, which I don't particularly care. It is unlikely that I'll be doing any trekking, BTW. I'm 5' 10.5" tall and have a 33 inch inseam. I'm 60 and not particularly flexible, so a long top tube probably wouldn't work well without a really short stem, which I would think, would make the Ogre a poor choice, but I just don't know.

Does the Fargo seem like a good choice, or would you suggest something else? Any suggestions on a fork would be appreciated, as well. I thought that changing the bar-ends to thumbies would probably be preferable, as well.
    I don't know what you ended up buying, but I am 60, 5'10" and a 34" inseam. I also ride with a bk prosthetic and the Fargo fits my mtn bike needs and a L works very well.
    '13 CDale CAADX
    '12 Spec Camber Comp
    '12 Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hi wombat, I have a L Fargo 2 2013.

The height, from the top of the hoods to the tire, is 108cm or 42in.
    From tire to tire it measures 183cm or 72in.

Hope that helps!
    thanks, you helped me a lot!
    (i'm building kind of a closet for my current and future bikes)

can't get here from there

I just finished my Fargo build...

Tomorrow morning will be my first commute on my new ride. I have built up bikes before, but this was my first time building up my own wheels. They are ZTR Flow rims with the stickers removed laced to DT Swiss 240 hubs. I hope they stay as true under use as they are now...

I have ordered a set of Tubus racks (Tara for the front and Logo for the back) as the Fargo is destined to become my mule. Once I have those, I will strip the OMM racks from my El Mariachi and convert it back to the simplistic 2x2 commuter I have come to miss...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Salsa Fargo Thread-frontquarter.jpg  

The Salsa Fargo Thread-rearquarter.jpg  

The Salsa Fargo Thread-elmar.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by landlocked View Post
    Tomorrow morning will be my first commute on my new ride. I have built up bikes before, but this was my first time building up my own wheels. They are ZTR Flow rims with the stickers removed laced to DT Swiss 240 hubs. I hope they stay as true under use as they are now...

I have ordered a set of Tubus racks (Tara for the front and Logo for the back) as the Fargo is destined to become my mule. Once I have those, I will strip the OMM racks from my El Mariachi and convert it back to the simplistic 2x2 commuter I have come to miss...
    Beautiful bikes...

Strangelove
    Dec 2007
    I have just had another fantastic mini adventure on my Fargo. This bike is shaping up to be something pretty special. I can imagine it being a very longstanding and faithful companion.

So the plan was for a sub 24hour overnighter. It's pretty wet and cold in Northern England at this time of year. The plan was to ride, meet up with friends at a Beer Festival, ride some more, sleep in a Bothy (a mountain refuge or shooting hut) overnight, they go and watch the biggest historic motor rally in Europe the next morning.

It went well. The Fargo was fantastic, the morning crisp and bitterly cold, company was great, the beer outstanding and the rally cars hit the spot too!

Fargo on frozen Yorkshire Moors.

Fire building

Result!

First Dawn

I'm stepping outside. I may be some time.

Sun rises over the moors and on our way again

And finally an old Porsche at full chat through the forest.

A magic weekend made all the better for being on a Fargo.
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk
    . . .the home of the UK fat bike community

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Long time lurker, Fargo-newbie. Just picked up a 2013 Faro 2 and was going to post some pics, but apparently I have to make 10 posts first.

Question: If I wanted to pick up some size 40/42 tires to run on the Fargo for road/easy dirt rides, what are some good brands/tires? Thanks!
    Just picked up a 2013 Fargo 2 myself, after the first ride I changed out the tires with some Schwalbe Marathon Mondial 700x40. I already had the tires on another bike, just a matter of swapping them out. I ride everything from pavement, rails to trails, back road's in southern IL to a little single track. These work well for me, but do have their limits. The tires are not very good in Sand or Mud, also have to be a little more careful when crashing single track, the front tire likes to slide out. If I did not already have the tires I might have considered the 1.75" or 2.0".

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Anyone ever try the Clement's that Salsa runs stock on the Vaya? Debating between those and the Schwalbes....

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Enjoying my Fargo! Nothing like taking a half day at work on a 30 something degree day so I can go ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Salsa Fargo Thread-salsa-fargo-025.jpg  

Harmonius Wrench
    Anyone ever try the Clement's that Salsa runs stock on the Vaya? Debating between those and the Schwalbes....

Here is a review I wrote: Gravel Grinder News: Gravel Grinder Gear: Clement X'Plor MSO Final Review

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    In early October I rode my Fargo across Iowa (420 miles, 50% gravel) with the Clement X'Plor MSO tires and they performed very well. I had no flats and found the tires comfortable and very stable in all but the roughest gravel. These are the tires I will use for all my mixed terrain road rides and touring. My Fargo felt like a totally different bike than with the Race Kings.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

salsa / revelate frame bag by mbeganyi, on Flickr

love the salsa / revelate frame bag.
    have the race kings back on. studs soon.
    really miss the vulpines. will be sad when they wear through. will have to check out some of these replacements. they have been my go to gravel / dirt / bikepacking mixed road / trail / dirt / forest road tire.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks you guys, great input on the Clements.