Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The Salsa Fargo Thread

2M views 6K replies 794 participants last post by  hankj 
#1 ·
Here's the Fargo in action. post yours when you get it here...

See less See more
#3,382 ·
I am 5'10" and took a chance on a large which came up for sale. Although it looks quite big at the front when wheeling it around, when on it, it is very comfortable and I would not want the bars any nearer. The Gen2 is quite tall and narrow as a frame. My son is 5'11" and looks perfect on the bike. I have a pic somewhere so will post if I can find it.

Brian

#3,386 ·
That's what I did. I lusted after a Fargo for most of 2012. Finally, in September, as new stuff was coming in, my LBS gave me about $350 off of a 2012 Fargo 2, bringing it down to the price of a Fargo 3. They had a Fargo 3, but it was a Medium and the Fargo 2 was a Large. I test rode both Vayas and Fargos in multiple sizes and found I needed a Large Fargo/58cm Vaya for sure.

Monday the media embargo will be lifted on another brand's bike that will also fit the bill, as you say. It is sorta a mix up of a Fargo and a Vaya, with benefits. Might appeal to a lot of folks here.
Okay, it's Monday, Guitar Ted! Was it the Specialized AWOL to which you were referring? Or is there something else we should know about? Spill the beans!

#3,385 ·
Bike Radar has a picture of the Specialized AWOL. Gallery: Specialized 2014 Road And Triathlon Bikes ? Full Details - BikeRadar

It looks much more like a Vaya Travel (sans S&S couplers) with full cable guides. I can't really tell from the pictures, but it doesn't look like it would have nearly the tire clearance of the Fargo. Props, though, for being able to have front and rear racks and fenders.

#3,391 ·
Well, I see everyone has seen the Awol by now. This was what I was referring to with my "media embargo" comment. It can accept up to a 2.2"er, so while that is less than a Fargo, it is more than a Vaya. Add in the non-sus corrected fork, and you might see why I think it is a cross between the Vaya and a Fargo.

Specialized will have a possibility of having an adventure bike with a smoother ride here. It all depends on the type of Reynolds tubing they use, the butting schedule of that tubing, and how supple the fork is. One of the reasons I have liked my Gryphon from Singular is that the Reynolds fork on it is a smoother fork than what comes stock on a Fargo. Maybe....maybe the Awol will have a sweet ride too. Hopefully I'll be finding out soon.

That said, after the launch of the 2014 Fargo, there will be a distinct leveling of the playing field. ;) Just wait......

#3,392 ·
On that note, are there any other alternatives similar to the Fargo? Or the newly announced AWOL for that matter? It doesn't have to be exactly like the Fargo, but I don't have any real MTB experience, so any suggestions on where to look would be great!

Can I "cobble together" a Fargo-like bike?

#3,394 ·
If by "cobbling it together" you mean to find a cheaper bike with the same geometry... there is nothing on the market as an "adventure bike" which is much cheaper. Obviously, you can adventure on all sorts of bikes, however. So, I would look for a good mountain bike with rack mounts if that's what you're into. I considered the Giant Roam for example, and tried to convert my 26er hardtail to drop bars with mixed results. Many XC bikes could probably work out in that capacity. Many of these bikes won't be designed with drop bars in mind, but that seems to bother some people more than others.

Now, if you're wondering what bikes are on the market which are marketed for this off-road touring niche, here are a few: Salsa Fargo, Specialized AWOL, Co-Motion Divide, Cielo Overlander, Singular Gryphon. When compared to the competition, the Fargo is relatively cheap.

#3,396 ·
There are times I sort of wish I'd looked more into Salsa's lineup before getting my Fargo. I went in looking for a "tourer" and only really looked at the Vaya and Fargo. The Alternator dropouts on the El Mar would be nice, and with a rigid fork, or a suspension fork with a lockout, I can see it fitting my riding pretty well too.

And, yeah, if you're not wedded to the idea of drop bars, there are plenty of great options right off the rack for roaming around. The Surly Ogre, for example, appeals to me. And I'd love a Krampus.

But I do love my Fargo. Sometimes I wonder if someone from QBP put something in my drink at some point. I love pretty much all of their stuff to an illogical degree.

#3,397 ·
Thanks a lot for the feedback. I stared looking into a Fargo (or similar) because I wanted beefier tires than my current bike can take. I spoiled myself last year and got a Rivendell Sam Hillborne - not everybody's cup of tea, but I had been thinking about a Bridgestone bike forever, and only discovered last year that Rivendell existed.

To make a long story short, I was all set to buy the Hunqapillar, their "trail oriented/touring" bike, but it was pricy, and I was informed that the Sam was not only cheaper, but sort of their equivalent of a cross style: you can a bit of everything on it. And indeed I can! But I find when I'm on some of the local trails, the trails aren't that great. And some of the roads are pretty pitted too. The bike might not be able to take tires much wider than I'm running now (700X35). So, I started thinking about a Fargo or similar bike.

The Awol looks pretty enticing, but if the more I look at it, the more it resembles my Sam. I don't want to double up on too many of my bikes! ;-)

#3,400 ·
Thanks a lot for the feedback. I stared looking into a Fargo (or similar) because I wanted beefier tires than my current bike can take. I spoiled myself last year and got a Rivendell Sam Hillborne - not everybody's cup of tea, but I had been thinking about a Bridgestone bike forever, and only discovered last year that Rivendell existed.

To make a long story short, I was all set to buy the Hunqapillar, their "trail oriented/touring" bike, but it was pricy, and I was informed that the Sam was not only cheaper, but sort of their equivalent of a cross style: you can a bit of everything on it. And indeed I can! But I find when I'm on some of the local trails, the trails aren't that great. And some of the roads are pretty pitted too. The bike might not be able to take tires much wider than I'm running now (700X35). So, I started thinking about a Fargo or similar bike.

The Awol looks pretty enticing, but if the more I look at it, the more it resembles my Sam. I don't want to double up on too many of my bikes! ;-)
Well, I think a Fargo would be good for you, as it definitely has the increased tire clearance you're looking for. Also, you like drop bars, and it was designed for those. Most mountain bikes are not designed with drops in mind, though you can try to make up for that with different stems and such. That can have mixed results. Is there something you don't like about the Fargo which you're hoping to find in a similar bike?

Wait until next week, we should see what the 2014 Fargos look like then.

This post has been deleted
#3,401 ·
Here's more info on the Fargo's new competition. http://wearegoingawol.tumblr.com/THE AWOL

Specialized says that the AWOL can handle up to 2.2" tires, but we will have to see what it will handle in the real world, since the Fargo 2.3" estimates are very conservative. The Reynolds tubing is a nice touch. The split frame and ability to use a Gates carbon belt drive definitely ups the ante. Given the inboard mounting of the rear disc brake, neither the Fargo nor the AWOL can use a Speedbone or a Monkey Bone adapter to facilitate the running of a Rohloff hub. Salsa has a Rohloff-specific Alternator dropout that you can buy for any frame that comes with them. I wonder if the AWOL will have a similar solution, because the pictured dropouts on the AWOL comp negate the ability to run a Rohloff.

#3,406 ·
How about a pre-Fargo?

Since this thread has seen other Fargo-like bikes, how about a pre-Fargo?

This bike was built a year before the Fargo introduction, in summer 2007 when the NAHBS was in San Jose for lpope; I am the second owner thanks to a bike swap with him in 2009. This Rock Lobster gets ridden 4-5 days a week.

As we know from this thread and the Salsa website, the Fargo was introduced in the Fall 2008.

The original build by lpope:

My build:

It has changed slightly:

Plenty of fun:

#3,410 ·
I run them tubeless ~36psi for pavement and I air down for mixed conditions and gravel...that is done by feel. Last 60 mile dirt/gravel ride I was at 30 psi when I got home. I'm 195lbs and roll with several bottles of water and a frame bag with usual tools, goodies, and a little makers mark.

#3,413 ·
The only thing my gen1 fargo has done to me in the last month has made me wish I had the TI version. It's so great, but lighter would be nice.

Right after the 4th of July I threw some 32's on it and did a S24O to the beach & back, all pavement. It rolled along real nice under a full load. I felt that it was lighter than my friend's LHT, and just as burly. No more touring for me until the weather cools off again. It was so hot I forgot to take any pics.

Using Profile Kages I can get two 1L Nalgene bottles on the fork.

Here it is in its current state, with racktime addit and revelate tangle.

#3,414 ·
I just got conti trail king 2.4 put them on the bike was a little triky but when i when for a ride it felt weird not real strong i think it is do to the rims i have stock rims that come w/2013 fargo 3 has any one experienced this it like the tier feels like it may slide off but its on the rim I do plan on bilding a new set w/rabbitholes should i switch the back tire to the race king in tiill i can get the new rim

#3,416 ·
Wife and I have been putting lots of miles on our Fargos - until a couple weeks ago when she fractured her arm during a trail ride and dinged up her bike to boot. Thus, I have to find another right-side Microshifter. I really wish they sold the indexed side individually instead of in sets.