Page 109 of 109 FirstFirst ... 95999105106107108109
Results 5,401 to 5,418 of 5418
    mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jbandt View Post
    Attachment 1093914Attachment 1093915

Well I guess it's just me, but the drops look more parallel to the ground on the website vs my 2016.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    it has to be the angle the camera is at. in the top pic the camera is above. in the bottom picture the camera is below.

mtbr member
    also, the bars on the top bike appear to be rotated sightly more upward than on the bottom bike, but the differing perspectives make that hard to assess as well.
    In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

Harmonius Wrench
    [QUOTE=j
    Well I guess it's just me, but the drops look more parallel to the ground on the website vs my 2016.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Look at the radius of the bend. It is the same model bar in both images.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by JNKER View Post
    Hi gang-

One, I want to subscribe to the thread because I'm a new (2015) Fargo owner but two, I'm a reading correctly in the forums that Fargos cannot accept fenders? I'd love to commute in the rain with it. If there are hacks (clamps, zip ties, etc.), I just didn't see them.
    This was covered earlier, but you can get the alternator plates for the rear eyelets. I just bought these: https://goo.gl/1PFEBc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ACosta View Post
    Pretty awesome that Eurovelo trip. Is the route mainly on roads?
    mainly on dedicated bike paths, mostly paved
    the rest on low traffic roads

here's the network map, what I did is the 15
    Routes - EuroVelo - the European cycle route network

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    With a pair of ski straps.
    I used straps for my tent on the handlebar but it wasn't a great idea

it flattened the jagwires on the headtube, rubbing off the paint
    plus I experienced less shifting performance and a German lbs told me it was because of the wires being squeezed in a awkward routing

didn't you experience same issues?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    [/ATTACH]The Salsa Fargo Thread-image.jpgJust upgraded my Fargo with dura ace hydro disc brakes. Have not upgraded to Di2 yet but do have plans to.

Proper Gnomenclature
    Quote Originally Posted by ciquta View Post
    I used straps for my tent on the handlebar but it wasn't a great idea

it flattened the jagwires on the headtube, rubbing off the paint
    plus I experienced less shifting performance and a German lbs told me it was because of the wires being squeezed in a awkward routing

didn't you experience same issues?
    Honestly, I haven't experienced that issue, and I've carried a drybag this way many times. With the cables routed flush with the bars almost all the way to the stem, they are already parallel with the bars and push out of the way easily without kinking or torqueing, in my experience. But it may also depend on how much excess cable one has and how large of a bag.

As far as paint rub goes, either stick a little clear frame-saver tape on the rub areas, or embrace it as a sign that you are using the bike as it was intended.
    Advocate Hayduke
    Surly ECR
    Salsa Blackborow
    Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Long time lurker here with a fitting dilemma. I'm 5'10" (178 cm) with a 30.5" (77.5 cm) inseam. Translated that means I have a long torso and have a 6' fingertip to fingertip wingspan. Not exactly gorilla long arms, but you get the picture. I own a 2013 Fargo size large. It was something of an impulse buy and I've been really pleased with the bike. I've test ridden medium framed Fargos and El Mars which seemed to be OK, but I felt cramped a bit. Since I was riding on platform pedals and not keeping my feet exactly planted, I got enough toe strike to keep me thinking that my large frame Fargo was the right size. That said, I'm still thinking this bike is a little too big for me. In the drops or on the hoods, I'm comfortable with a 100mm stem, but standover is very intimate. Has anyone with a build like mine started out on a large, switched to a medium and been happy with the results? Thanks!
    Last edited by ballen35748; 6 Days Ago at 10:26 AM. Reason: bad grammar

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ballen35748 View Post
    Long time lurker here with a fitting dilemma. I'm 5'10" (178 cm) with a 30.5" (77.5 cm) inseam. Translated that means I have a long torso and have a 6' fingertip to fingertip wingspan. Not exactly gorilla long arms, but you get the picture. I own a 2013 Fargo size large. It was something of an impulse buy and I've been really pleased with the bike. I've test ridden medium framed Fargos and El Mars which seemed to be OK, but I felt cramped a bit. Since I was riding on platform pedals and not keeping my feet exactly planted, I got enough toe strike to keep me thinking that my large frame Fargo was the right size. That said, I'm still thinking this bike is a little too big for me. On the drop or on the hoods, I'm comfortable with a 100mm stem, but standover is very intimate. Has anyone with a build like mine started out on a large, switched to a medium and been happy with the results? Thanks!
    Sounds like you need to find a frame set in a large with a lower stand over, rather than a different size. A quick check of Surlys show
    The Karate Monkey with a stand over 1 cm shorter. I didn't check the other Salsas. I suspect anything with a very high stack will have a higher stand over. The Fargo SO was the same as the Krampus, ECR, and Ogre.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Long time lurker here with a fitting dilemma. I'm 5'10" (178 cm) with a 30.5" (77.5 cm) inseam. Translated that means I have a long torso and have a 6' fingertip to fingertip wingspan. Not exactly gorilla long arms, but you get the picture. I own a 2013 Fargo size large. It was something of an impulse buy and I've been really pleased with the bike. I've test ridden medium framed Fargos and El Mars which seemed to be OK, but I felt cramped a bit. Since I was riding on platform pedals and not keeping my feet exactly planted, I got enough toe strike to keep me thinking that my large frame Fargo was the right size. That said, I'm still thinking this bike is a little too big for me. In the drops or on the hoods, I'm comfortable with a 100mm stem, but standover is very intimate. Has anyone with a build like mine started out on a large, switched to a medium and been happy with the results? Thanks!
    I wish I had some good advice for you, but I'm more or less in the same boat. I'm trying to figure out which Fargo to buy...I'm about 1 inch taller than you, but with the same inseam and wingspan. I've ridden a medium, which just felt a little too upright for me, though it also had a fairly short 80mm stem. I'm leaning towards getting a large, though I've never had the chance to try one out yet. I feel like with my torso-heavy proportions, I am always between sizes. Curious to see what your conclusion ends up being.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bigoz5 View Post
    I wish I had some good advice for you, but I'm more or less in the same boat. I'm trying to figure out which Fargo to buy...I'm about 1 inch taller than you, but with the same inseam and wingspan. I've ridden a medium, which just felt a little too upright for me, though it also had a fairly short 80mm stem. I'm leaning towards getting a large, though I've never had the chance to try one out yet. I feel like with my torso-heavy proportions, I am always between sizes. Curious to see what your conclusion ends up being.

Other than the standover intimacy, the bike fits me well and for the time being, I'm so done with agonizing over changing frames or selling this one and getting a new bike. I'm just going to ride the crap out of it and have some fun. I have a full kit of Revelate bags, 2-3 sets of tires, Jones bars ( to swap in when the mood strikes, stem length advice noted) and a really nice set of custom wheels from Sugar for this bike and I love the versatility. Being honest with myself, the most adventuring I'll ever do on this bike would be to ride the Maah Daah Hey next year. Maybe four days on that trail will convince me to go a different direction.
    Last edited by ballen35748; 1 Day Ago at 10:15 AM.

mtbr member
    So has anyone seen any creative ways of using Di2 or Etap with dropbars?

I'm normally pretty much a retrogrouch these days, but the idea of being able to build a brifterless dirtdrop setup using the various toggle switches is pretty cool. I'm just not sure if anyone's done it yet? (I think the SRAM timetrial blips would be the way to go, but then the rest of their system probably isn't suited to offroad yet)

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    You can use TRP Hylex brakes and use their integrated Di2 switch.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Unless you want carbon; I would look at the new Salsa Timberjack 27.5+ in Medium (the defacto replacement for the steel El Mariachi). TIMBERJACK 27.5+ X1 | Bikes | Salsa Cycles Great deal for $1400; even if you decide to upgrade to drop-bars. In my opinion the Fargo's reach is way too short for someone with long arms.

Med. Timberjack (27.5 +) = Reach: 430mm / Standover: 29.5"
    Med. Fargo (27.5 +) = Reach: 368mm / Standover: 30.6"

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Salsa Fargo Thread-timberjack_27.5_plus_gx1_carousel-1.jpg  

The Salsa Fargo Thread-timberjack.jpg  

The Salsa Fargo Thread-fargo_27.5_plus.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buell View Post
    You can use TRP Hylex brakes and use their integrated Di2 switch.
    That is cool, but personally I'm hoping it'll be possible to de-integrate brakes and shifting. I like the idea of just being able to put shifter buttons wherever - so either the sram blips, or shimano sprint shifters. From some quick reading, I think the shimano pave/climbing shifter is probably the closest solution right now, but it's a little chunky.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post

I'm normally pretty much a retrogrouch these days, but the idea of being able to build a brifterless dirtdrop setup using the various toggle switches is pretty cool. I'm just not sure if anyone's done it yet? (I think the SRAM timetrial blips would be the way to go, but then the rest of their system probably isn't suited to offroad yet)
    I am planning on Di2 on my Fargo, although my wife may beat me to it. We just put on the Dura Ace Di2 hydro brakes so part way there. I think with areo bars I would like the Di2 barcon shifters as well. Looking at our options.
    Ti Salsa Mukluk
    Salsa Fargo
    FNH SCAR17
    FNH FNX45T

mtbr member
    So poking around a bit more, apparently this eshifting-for-any-derailleur scheme just got announced in the last few days (and I swear, I have zero affiliation with any other this):

XShifter brings wireless electronic shifting to any bike, any derailleur - Bikerumor

The split clamp on the shifter is cool, because it could probably be finagled onto drops easily enough, but is still probably too chunky for good dirtdrops ergonomics.