Page 108 of 165 FirstFirst ... 8 58 98 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 118 158 ... LastLast
Results 2,676 to 2,700 of 4122
    mtbr member
    Two or three times this year I've planned to get rid of my Fargo. Too much overlap with my other (steel, hardtail) 29ers, spiffy new Rawland to take it's place, then a Some Juice to use as my kid puller...I even stripped it down for sale twice... but I just can't do it. The Fargo just does everything pretty well, it's such a nice bike to have around. It's a great touring bike. The best bike I've found for pulling my kid trailer and trail-a-bike. A pretty good mountain bike. Six bottle cages!

My latest attempt was using the Juice as the utility sled. It had a Fargo V2 fork (which I liked for the anything cages braze ons), smaller diameter tubing (which I like for the better ride), and even can take rim brakes (which I just like)... but one ride on that setup told me it wasn't nearly equal to the Fargo. Too low, too long, it didn't have the neutral, balanced handling like the Fargo. So, Saturday night in the garage, stripped down the Juice, built the Fargo back up, ready to roll:

Currently with Surly Open bars. These are OK, but I like the Mary's shape better so far. Flipped Marys on a Fargo is one of the best bike set ups I've found so far.

Anyone want to buy a Juice frame?

mtbr member
    I've just picked up a '13 Fargo 3 to use as a commuter. A bit over the top maybe!

I'm in the process of fitting full mudguards/fenders. With the Cascadias not being available here in the UK I've gone for a set of SKS-Bluemels 700x65 guards. The rear fits fine but the front fouls the brake calliper. Do the cascadias fit hassle free or do they require some tweaks too? Off to see the Tech assistant here today for something out of the spares box to see how I can make them fit!

I've also ditched the RaceKings for a pair of Halo Twinrails as it's going to be a mostly on road ride for me/it. No hassles with the microshifters yet, not that I've put many miles on though!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    just got a brown frame as a warranty replacement and it looks so much better in person. ill try an post some pictures if i ever get out in the day light.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnystorm View Post
    I've just picked up a '13 Fargo 3 to use as a commuter. A bit over the top maybe!

I'm in the process of fitting full mudguards/fenders. With the Cascadias not being available here in the UK I've gone for a set of SKS-Bluemels 700x65 guards. The rear fits fine but the front fouls the brake calliper. Do the cascadias fit hassle free or do they require some tweaks too? Off to see the Tech assistant here today for something out of the spares box to see how I can make them fit!
    Just put some bends into the stays, very easy to do with Bluemels using a vice or 2 pair pliers. Do a search on here or in the commuting forum, plenty people done it already on various bike inc Fargos.

mtbr member
    After taking my Fargo into the shop today about my crappy shifting, my stock Deore derailleur seems to be acting up. He bent a metal piece between the frame and the derailleur back into place which after a ride appears to shift better. However the Microshift bar end shifters have a lot of index play between two cogs (which are my problem ones) and wondered if it was worth an upgrade. Any suggestions w/o having to spend a fortune? Shifting has always been a problem despite multiple inspections.

We talked about putting trigger shifters on, but I like the Woodchippers. Shop said to give this fix a try for a few days and see how it works out. I probably should have forked out the extra money for the higher end version of the Fargo. The bar end shifters drive me nuts especially with that one index that has too much play in it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Shifters

I switched mine out the second day. My LBS guy was disappointed in the microshifts so he upgraded my to Shimano at his cost, and free install. Even then it was a couple of bucks.

Here's my cool guy blue bike on the beach in Carlsbad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Salsa Fargo Thread-photo-3-version-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I've been having a lot of shifting problems with my Fargo 3 as well. Broke a chain the other day. Got it working somewhat now. Can't figure out if its the derailleur or shifters.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I always have trouble with shifting in the front on my stock 2012 Fargo 2. I've taken it back to the shop, and they say everything is fine, that I just must not be pushing the lever far enough on the doubletap or something. I dunno, I push it as far as it will go, and hard enough I feel I'm gonna bend/break it, still I can't shift from the small to the large ring most of the time. It's making me a sad panda.

I might have thought I was taking crazy pills, but I've read many online having the same issue.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Try adjusting the front derailleur cable with a little more slack in it. It seems counterintuitive but Sram just doesn't like tight cable like Shimano.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluechip View Post
    Try adjusting the front derailleur cable with a little more slack in it. It seems counterintuitive but Sram just doesn't like tight cable like Shimano.
    Hmm. That's the opposite of what I had to do. Super tight seemed the only way to get it to work.

Challenged by Gravity
    Oct 2008
    Long time lurker getting ready to pull the trigger on a new Fargo 2 tomorrow! Thanks for all the discussion here, really helpful in making the decision. Plan to use it for winter commuting here in Colorado, riding single track along the front range, and maybe some bike packing this summer. Hope to post pictures soon!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    Hmm. That's the opposite of what I had to do. Super tight seemed the only way to get it to work.
    Yup; same experience with the front crank/derailleur combo on my '12 Fargo 2.

Mike, I noticed you've changed the crank to a sram model, any improvements in front shifting after the change?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tws21975 View Post
    Yup; same experience with the front crank/derailleur combo on my '12 Fargo 2.

Mike, I noticed you've changed the crank to a sram model, any improvements in front shifting after the change?
    yes, better shifting. not a huge difference, but noticeable. i think the spacing / teeth must be just a little bit more accommodating to the SRAM double setup.

i bent the rings on the original crank, and picked the new one up as a replacement, on the recommendation of a friend. a little high range for pure MTB, but great for gravel / dirt / mixed single track that I use the bike for.

still have high tension on the cable. with it loose it just uses up too much lever movement before it even begins to engage.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

My First Metric Century

I'll have to take a closer look at the front derailleur myself. But, I digress. This thread was made for Fargo pics, so here are a few from my first metric century, on my Fargo, a week or two back:

Challenged by Gravity
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 7ski View Post
    Long time lurker getting ready to pull the trigger on a new Fargo 2 tomorrow! Thanks for all the discussion here, really helpful in making the decision. Plan to use it for winter commuting here in Colorado, riding single track along the front range, and maybe some bike packing this summer. Hope to post pictures soon!
    Let the fun begin! Trying to post the first picture. No action shot but sitting in work after riding in this morning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Salsa Fargo Thread-fargo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    went for a 40 mile adventure on the des plaines river trail. couldnt pass up the awesome weather we had here today combined with getting out of work at 1pm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    A beautiful color!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    BigE610:

Did you switch out the wheelset? I much prefer the lack of logos over the stock WTBs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Owlish View Post
    BigE610:

Did you switch out the wheelset? I much prefer the lack of logos over the stock WTBs.
    It's actually a stock 12 Fargo 3. I got the frame as a warranty replacement.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Long time lurker, Fargo-newbie. Just picked up a 2013 Faro 2 and was going to post some pics, but apparently I have to make 10 posts first.

Question: If I wanted to pick up some size 40/42 tires to run on the Fargo for road/easy dirt rides, what are some good brands/tires? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I love the big apples on my Fargo. Not 42s but you can ride just about anything on em. And they cushion out the ride nicely

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I've heard many other people recommending the Big Apples as well for road riding. I haven't tried them out myself, but am strongly considering buying a pair. Any other personal reviews, Fargonauts?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    FARGONAUTS!
    I love that!

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by acoldsteadyrain View Post
    Long time lurker, Fargo-newbie. Just picked up a 2013 Faro 2 and was going to post some pics, but apparently I have to make 10 posts first.

Question: If I wanted to pick up some size 40/42 tires to run on the Fargo for road/easy dirt rides, what are some good brands/tires? Thanks!
    Clement MSO tires are pretty awesome. Listed as 40's, but are a hair under that in reality. Conti Speed Cross 42,s are nice as well. Maybe find some Bontrager XR-1's, (They have been discontinued, but some dealers may have some yet), they are 1.8"ers, but are really fast. Vee Rubber has a few offerings in a similar vein.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Owlish View Post
    FARGONAUTS!
    I love that!

That's been a term used for Fargo riders since the beginning in '08. Funny someone hasn't cashed in on that term yet, actually.