Page 108 of 112 FirstFirst ... 85898104105106107108109110111112 LastLast
Results 5,351 to 5,400 of 5573
    Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    The levers and brakes will get better as they break in and you adjust them (at least they did for me). My Fargo gave me the "stink eye" today because I left her hanging. Too much lightening for my comfort level. I have weather limits, the Fargo does not.

They are better, but still just ok. I got some SRAM S700s of craigslist and will be putting them on in a couple weeks. Now I just need a better wheelset and fenders and I am done.

Quote Originally Posted by kevrider
    heh! that's pretty awesome/funny.
    I've been really surprised that I've liked the bike this much. I have several quibbles, but it is a great bike. I'm going to SS it when I swap out the shifters.

Harmonius Wrench

Gravel Worlds Finihed

This thead is worthless without pics.

I finished Gravel Worlds on my Gen I Fargo along with my friend on his Gen 4. The Salsa Fargo Thread-official-finishers.jpg
    Image courtesy of Kevin Fox
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Training for the Darwin's
    ^^^The weather seemed awesome this year. How were the roads after Friday night's rains?^^^
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone on here has an xsmall frame. I am 5'1 and considering a fargo for my dirt/trail touring but am concerned about such a small frame on 29er tires. An problems fitting a butt bag between the saddle and the rear tire? Are there any other shorties out there?

Thanks
    Monica
    Last edited by moniemoe; 08-23-2016 at 12:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by moniemoe View Post
    Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone on here has an xsmall frame. I am 5'1 and considering a fargo for my dirt/trail touring but am concerned about such a small frame on 29er tires. Are there any other shorties out there?

Thanks
    Monica
    my wife has an XS 2016 Fargo X9 and absolutely loves it

it only fits 1 water bottle inside the frame, and a water bottle in the downtube water bottle holder will tend to brush up against a fender. Those are her only complaints.
    - 2012 Salsa Fargo
    - 2015 Roubaix Disc
    - 2016 C-dale SuperX CX-1 SSCX
    - 2016 Salsa Cutthroat
    - 2017 C-dale Scalpel Si-3

mtbr member
    i was thinking about getting an XS fargo for my fiancé, but that triangle is so small, i'm not sure how much a frame bag can carry in there. if anyone has a photo of an XS loaded for travel, i'd love to see it.
    In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by kevrider View Post
    that triangle is so small, i'm not sure how much a frame bag can carry in there. if anyone has a photo of an XS loaded for travel, i'd love to see it.
    I would love to see that too.

Man all my triangles are so ridiculously tiny. Right now on my MB-1 the only "frame bag" I can fit between my water bottles is a revelate Jerrycan bag stuffed in upside down. It can only fit my flat repair kit. I don't know if you can get away with from that with frames my size.

Harmonius Wrench
    ^^^The weather seemed awesome this year. How were the roads after Friday night's rains?^^^
    They were squishy and a tad muddy in spots up to about 10:00am. then the wind took care of that.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Thanks everyone, hope you don't mind if I ask another dumb question - does the carbon firestarter fork have a carbon steerer tube?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, it does. I have one.

mtbr member

New bars?

Need some new bars all of a sudden. What did you guys decide was the best? I bent my Origin8 Gary sweep bars on some lava rocks. I like the lessss drop of the origin8 bars. A little wider would be nice. Did Salsa come out with version 3 or anything¿

Jammin' Econo
    Soma Junebug. Very similar to the Midge, but a big longer in the extensions.

I dream of a day when my children will live in a world without the shackles of cause and effect.” - S. Colbert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post

Are those more or less wide than the Gary Sweep OS ?

Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisx View Post
    Are those more or less wide than the Gary Sweep OS ?
    Don't know, as I've never used the GS OS. Soma lists the Junebug as being 45cm wide, and they only come in one size. Unfortunately, I don't find a lot of consistency in how different companies measure their bars, but if this is helpful, here is a pic of the Junebug next to a 44cm Woodchipper:

Junebug specs: Junebug Bar | SOMA Fabrications

GT has the most detailed info on the GS OS specs that I've seen: Origin 8 Gary Sweep OS Bars: Getting Rolling -
    I dream of a day when my children will live in a world without the shackles of cause and effect.” - S. Colbert

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    2003 Kona A
    2005 Kona A
    2012 Cannondale Hooligan
    2016 Salsa Deadwood

mtbr member
    Don't know, Unfortunately, I don't find a lot of consistency in how different companies measure their bars, ]
    I tried to look it up and

Unfortunately, I don't find a lot of consistency in how different companies measure their bars,

mtbr member

Cow Chipper?

Quote Originally Posted by buell View Post
    The cow chipper looks a little wider on the top on the photo, which is what I want. Does the additional flare on the wood chipper help on the rutted roads, or give better control in the rocks?

You can get a better deal on the web, but you can touch it at the LBS.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    The cow chipper looks a little wider on the top on the photo, which is what I want. Does the additional flare on the wood chipper help on the rutted roads, or give better control in the rocks?

You can get a better deal on the web, but you can touch it at the LBS.
    I LOVE grabbing near the ends of the Woodchipper drops on rutted roads and rough stuff. Riding on the hoods on smoother stuff works well too. I find that riding in the "normal" position on the drops is okay, but not the most ergonomic - the sweep doesn't fill my palm like I feel it should. I'm debating about the Cowchipper, but don't want to lose the sweep of the drops for the drop-end position. This coming from a Bell Lap lover (full disclosure)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    getting this on a lot of Salsa products on the universal cycles page.
    cowchipper
    wood chipper
    Salsa Stainless Water Bottle Cage

not everything, just the few things I want.

44cm x 31.8mm Clamp (Black)

$75.00

Notify When
    In Stock

Shipping Not Available Icon - Shipping
    Shipping not available

Pickup Not Available Icon - Instore Pickup
    Pickup not available

mtbr member
    Just completed the Eurovelo 15 from Italy to the Nederlands crossing Switzerland, France and Germany.
    1400k in 12 days with 2 flats with my Fargo2 2015.

Big apples 2.35 were a fantastic mate for this trip, tho they pushed the BB a bit too up for my likings.
    I wonder how unconfortable the newFargo/oldDeadwood should be with real 29+ tires
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Salsa Fargo Thread-img_20160815_072558.jpg  

The Salsa Fargo Thread-img_20160815_104422.jpg  

The Salsa Fargo Thread-img_20160823_150341.jpg  

The Salsa Fargo Thread-img_20160826_122521.jpg  

The Salsa Fargo Thread-img_20160826_192738.jpg  

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    Wouldn't mind trying these on my Gen 1 Fargo. With the low tread, I'm guessing these will be close to a 2.4 tire that the Gen 1 Fargo was rated for.

Tires | Parts and Accessories | Surly Bikes

mtbr member

Does the Junebug have indentations for cables? I like to feel as little cable as possible.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Need some new bars all of a sudden. What did you guys decide was the best? I bent my Origin8 Gary sweep bars on some lava rocks. I like the lessss drop of the origin8 bars. A little wider would be nice. Did Salsa come out with version 3 or anything¿
    i'm still a fan of the woodchipper for the fargo since salsa said they designed the frame around those bars, but surly just rereleased these: Handlebar | Parts and Accessories | Surly Bikes
    2003 Kona A
    2005 Kona A
    2012 Cannondale Hooligan
    2016 Salsa Deadwood

Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by JNKER View Post
    Does the Junebug have indentations for cables? I like to feel as little cable as possible.
    No, it doesn't. But with a double wrap, I honestly don't notice the cables at all. Then again, I don't spend much time on the tops, either.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by buell View Post
    i'm still a fan of the woodchipper for the fargo since salsa said they designed the frame around those bars, but surly just rereleased these: Handlebar | Parts and Accessories | Surly Bikes
    Not sure who told you about Woodchippers being the bar the Fargo was designed around. Actually, the Fargo predates the Woodchipper by a few years. I remember seeing the prototype for the Woodchipper being shown at a Fargo Adventure Ride that started at Lebanon Hills in the twin cities and there were a lot of Fargos there.

But maybe that was the case. I just find that hard to believe when the design for the handle bar hadn't even been finalized until well after the Fargo appeared.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by ciquta View Post
    Just completed the Eurovelo 15 from Italy to the Nederlands crossing Switzerland, France and Germany.
    1400k in 12 days with 2 flats with my Fargo2 2015...
    ciquta - thanks for sharing the pics of your trip! With all the gear talk on here, it's always good to see pics of Fargos actually being used.

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    Not sure who told you about Woodchippers being the bar the Fargo was designed around. Actually, the Fargo predates the Woodchipper by a few years. I remember seeing the prototype for the Woodchipper being shown at a Fargo Adventure Ride that started at Lebanon Hills in the twin cities and there were a lot of Fargos there.

But maybe that was the case. I just find that hard to believe when the design for the handle bar hadn't even been finalized until well after the Fargo appeared.
    The Fargo was introduced in 2008, while the Woodchipper came out just 1 year later in 2009. I agree the Fargo wasn't designed around the Woodchipper, but the Woodchippers were definitely designed for the Fargo.

Interbike Follow Up - New Woodchipper Bar | Salsa Cycles

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Anybody notice the 2017 Fargo has the woodchipper 2 bar? Was just checking the site and pics show it to have more bend in the drops. The drops look to be more in line with the top tube whereas the previous version seem to be more in line with the down tube.

Seems more ergonomic, old design bends my wrist a fair amount so I don't use them much.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Hi gang-

One, I want to subscribe to the thread because I'm a new (2015) Fargo owner but two, I'm a reading correctly in the forums that Fargos cannot accept fenders? I'd love to commute in the rain with it. If there are hacks (clamps, zip ties, etc.), I just didn't see them.

Hi gang-

One, I want to subscribe to the thread because I'm a new (2015) Fargo owner but two, I'm a reading correctly in the forums that Fargos cannot accept fenders? I'd love to commute in the rain with it. If there are hacks (clamps, zip ties, etc.), I just didn't see them.
    With the firestarter fork, you should be able to bend the fender wire from Planet Bike Fenders to mount in front (front/side) of the fork. The wires are plenty long and not terribly specific on location. On my gen 2 fargo I used the rack mount above the fender mount. Salsa does make an alternator mount with fender tabs, but I'm miffed enough that they don't come stock on the fargo, I probably wouldn't buy them. Instead, I think you could fab a mount that uses the upper alternator dropout mounting bolt. I don't own a gen 3 but the hack isn't uber complex. You could also use clip-on fenders, but those won't give you the same protection as full fenders.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Ah. The new alternator mount. Not sure why this isn't standard on all Fargos. Is it weaker?

The bike shop where I bought the bike did happen to tell me that I could put fenders on but the salesperson took awhile on just how to figure out the existing alternator mount. He was confused by it. I'll see what th shop says. Maybe they can help.
    Last edited by JNKER; 09-07-2016 at 08:20 PM.

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    Hi gang-

Fork - Do you have the steel or carbon fiber fork? The steel fork has the standard fender mounts, but you may have interference with the disc caliper. Potential Solutions for steel fork: (all these have done on various touring/cross/road bike with disc brakes -> google it)
    -Fenders with a single low stay, like Velo Orange, that miss the caliper
    -Fenders with a spacer to get the stays wider than brake
    -Bend the stays outboard to clear the disc brake
    -Bend the stays upward, and use one of the rack/bottle mounts.

Carbon fork? That gets trickier, since it looks like the carbon fork doesn't have crown or lower fender mounts.

Rear - Get the alternator fender mounts.

mtbr member
    All great info for me. Thanks everyone.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Has anybody tried the Mudhugger on their carbon Firestarter? While not as much coverage as other options it should be adequate for what it, let's be honest, a MTB.

mtbr member
    I use a Mudhugger-type fender on my FS bike and it helps but I still get a fair amount of mud on me and my face when on the trails. It's obviously better than nothing in the dirt, though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    if you had a drill press & tap set (yr shop does!) i bet it wouldnt be hard to drill and tap a hole in the existing plate. fun!!!

I haven't looked at the Carbon Firestarter, but it seems like you should be able to use an expansion plug in the bottom of the fork. I'd make a hybrid (plug/fender flute) with a piece of aluminum tubing and some rubber hose. Find a combination of hose/tubing that gives you at least 3/32" of aluminum wall thickness and will fit in the fork. Thread the tube and make a two "nuts" from larger aluminum tubing. Thread one "nut" so it extends past the bottom of the fork when installed (I'd use at least an inch of tubing inside the fork), then the tubing, then another "nut" Locktite the inner "nut" and slot the outer "nut". Install and compress the tubing by tightening the outer "nut." PITA, but a clean install.

mtbr member
    Has anyone used and recommends a front child carrier on their Fargo?

Jammin' Econo
    Just a few pics from various recent Fargo adventures....

mtbr member
    Just a few pics from various recent Fargo adventures....

How did you secure that drybag on the handlebar?

Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by ciquta View Post
    How did you secure that drybag on the handlebar?
    With a pair of ski straps.

mtbr member
    thanks for posting these pics!
    what kind of frame bag is that? i like the bottle access.
    In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

mtbr member
    Second the frame bag. Rad idea.

Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by kevrider View Post
    thanks for posting these pics!

what kind of frame bag is that? i like the bottle access.
    Oveja Negra 'Super Wedgie.'

Same volume as a typical horizontally-oriented half-frame bag (4+L for the large, pictured) , but way easier to use with a water bottle. It's a great bag.

mtbr member
    Pretty awesome that Eurovelo trip. Is the route mainly on roads?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbandt View Post
    Anybody notice the 2017 Fargo has the woodchipper 2 bar? Was just checking the site and pics show it to have more bend in the drops. The drops look to be more in line with the top tube whereas the previous version seem to be more in line with the down tube.

Seems more ergonomic, old design bends my wrist a fair amount so I don't use them much.
    Going back to this, the Woodchipper has always officially been the "Woodchipper 2", right? The 2 or 3 is just Salsa's designation for the alloy, and doesn't actually mean the shape has ever changed since it was released?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Going back to this, the Woodchipper has always officially been the "Woodchipper 2", right? The 2 or 3 is just Salsa's designation for the alloy, and doesn't actually mean the shape has ever changed since it was released?
    I don't know if it has always been the "2". But ever since I started looking into it a couple years ago, it has been called the woodchipper 2. It's not new.

mtbr member
    I took the Salsa Fargo to Scoland on its first real trip since I built it earlier this year. It performed flawlessly.

Here are a couple of pictures, but if you want to check out more pictures or interested on the route I took, you can jump to Bikepacking in Scotland: Coast to Coast through the Highlands

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    This is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    You're correct, the number following the model denotes alloy composition (lower is more expensive, if not better - which is may be). They have been consistent about changing the name with each change of shape.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    You're correct, the number following the model denotes alloy composition (lower is more expensive, if not better - which is may be). They have been consistent about changing the name with each change of shape.
    The Salsa Fargo Thread-0821160808%7E2.jpgThe Salsa Fargo Thread-screenshot_2016-09-12-20-21-48.jpg

Well I guess it's just me, but the drops look more parallel to the ground on the website vs my 2016.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk