The Salsa Fargo Thread

Printable View

• 08-20-2016
    umarth
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    The levers and brakes will get better as they break in and you adjust them (at least they did for me). My Fargo gave me the "stink eye" today because I left her hanging. Too much lightening for my comfort level. I have weather limits, the Fargo does not.

They are better, but still just ok. I got some SRAM S700s of craigslist and will be putting them on in a couple weeks. Now I just need a better wheelset and fenders and I am done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevrider
    heh! that's pretty awesome/funny.

I've been really surprised that I've liked the bike this much. I have several quibbles, but it is a great bike. I'm going to SS it when I swap out the shifters.
  • 08-22-2016
    Guitar Ted
    1 Attachment(s)
    Gravel Worlds Finihed
    This thead is worthless without pics. ;)

I finished Gravel Worlds on my Gen I Fargo along with my friend on his Gen 4. Attachment 1089638
    Image courtesy of Kevin Fox
  • 08-23-2016
    Forster
    ^^^The weather seemed awesome this year. How were the roads after Friday night's rains?^^^
  • 08-23-2016
    moniemoe
    Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone on here has an xsmall frame. I am 5'1 and considering a fargo for my dirt/trail touring but am concerned about such a small frame on 29er tires. An problems fitting a butt bag between the saddle and the rear tire? Are there any other shorties out there?

Thanks
    Monica
  • 08-23-2016
    sgtrobo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by moniemoe View Post
    Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone on here has an xsmall frame. I am 5'1 and considering a fargo for my dirt/trail touring but am concerned about such a small frame on 29er tires. Are there any other shorties out there?

Thanks
    Monica

my wife has an XS 2016 Fargo X9 and absolutely loves it

it only fits 1 water bottle inside the frame, and a water bottle in the downtube water bottle holder will tend to brush up against a fender. Those are her only complaints.
  • 08-23-2016
    kevrider
    i was thinking about getting an XS fargo for my fiancÚ, but that triangle is so small, i'm not sure how much a frame bag can carry in there. if anyone has a photo of an XS loaded for travel, i'd love to see it.
  • 08-23-2016
    moniemoe
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kevrider View Post
    that triangle is so small, i'm not sure how much a frame bag can carry in there. if anyone has a photo of an XS loaded for travel, i'd love to see it.

I would love to see that too.

Man all my triangles are so ridiculously tiny. Right now on my MB-1 the only "frame bag" I can fit between my water bottles is a revelate Jerrycan bag stuffed in upside down. It can only fit my flat repair kit. I don't know if you can get away with from that with frames my size.
  • 08-23-2016
    Guitar Ted
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    ^^^The weather seemed awesome this year. How were the roads after Friday night's rains?^^^

They were squishy and a tad muddy in spots up to about 10:00am. then the wind took care of that. ;)
  • 08-23-2016
    attaboy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Thanks everyone, hope you don't mind if I ask another dumb question - does the carbon firestarter fork have a carbon steerer tube?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it does. I have one.
  • 08-24-2016
    chrisx
    New bars?
    Need some new bars all of a sudden. What did you guys decide was the best? I bent my Origin8 Gary sweep bars on some lava rocks. I like the lessss drop of the origin8 bars. A little wider would be nice. Did Salsa come out with version 3 or anything┐
  • 08-24-2016
    Smithhammer
    Soma Junebug. Very similar to the Midge, but a big longer in the extensions. :thumbsup:

• 08-24-2016
    chrisx
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    Soma Junebug. Very similar to the Midge, but a big longer in the extensions. :thumbsup:

Are those more or less wide than the Gary Sweep OS ?
  • 08-25-2016
    Smithhammer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisx View Post
    Are those more or less wide than the Gary Sweep OS ?

Don't know, as I've never used the GS OS. Soma lists the Junebug as being 45cm wide, and they only come in one size. Unfortunately, I don't find a lot of consistency in how different companies measure their bars, but if this is helpful, here is a pic of the Junebug next to a 44cm Woodchipper:

Junebug specs: Junebug Bar | SOMA Fabrications

GT has the most detailed info on the GS OS specs that I've seen: Origin 8 Gary Sweep OS Bars: Getting Rolling -
  • 08-25-2016
    buell
  • 08-25-2016
    chrisx
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    Don't know, Unfortunately, I don't find a lot of consistency in how different companies measure their bars, ]

I tried to look it up and

Unfortunately, I don't find a lot of consistency in how different companies measure their bars,
  • 08-25-2016
    chrisx
    Cow Chipper?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by buell View Post

The cow chipper looks a little wider on the top on the photo, which is what I want. Does the additional flare on the wood chipper help on the rutted roads, or give better control in the rocks?

You can get a better deal on the web, but you can touch it at the LBS.
  • 08-25-2016
    wintermute
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisx View Post
    The cow chipper looks a little wider on the top on the photo, which is what I want. Does the additional flare on the wood chipper help on the rutted roads, or give better control in the rocks?

You can get a better deal on the web, but you can touch it at the LBS.

I LOVE grabbing near the ends of the Woodchipper drops on rutted roads and rough stuff. Riding on the hoods on smoother stuff works well too. I find that riding in the "normal" position on the drops is okay, but not the most ergonomic - the sweep doesn't fill my palm like I feel it should. I'm debating about the Cowchipper, but don't want to lose the sweep of the drops for the drop-end position. This coming from a Bell Lap lover (full disclosure)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 08-25-2016
    chrisx
    getting this on a lot of Salsa products on the universal cycles page.
    cowchipper
    wood chipper
    Salsa Stainless Water Bottle Cage

not everything, just the few things I want.

44cm x 31.8mm Clamp (Black)

$75.00

Notify When
    In Stock

Shipping Not Available Icon - Shipping
    Shipping not available

Pickup Not Available Icon - Instore Pickup
    Pickup not available