Page 107 of 108 FirstFirst ... 7 57 97 103 104 105 106 107 108 LastLast
Results 5,301 to 5,350 of 5367
    mtbr member
    I read somewhere that the 2017 Fargo will be 29+...

mtbr member
    doesnt make sense, there's already a 29+ Fargo (called deadwood)

the geo is 100% the same, only chainstay is a bit longer

Not really fixed.
    Deadwood is dead, it was a Limited Edition, one year only.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    When does Salsa release the official info?

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by efuss View Post
    I read somewhere that the 2017 Fargo will be 29+...
    27+

Dude Abiding
    You can't keep a good Fargo down....

Advocate Hayduke
    Salsa Blackborow
    Salsa Fargo

Not really fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    27+
    It does all three, 27+, 29, and 29+. The XS size loses the ability to go 29+ due to some size constraints but all other sizes can go real big.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxfixed View Post
    It does all three, 27+, 29, and 29+. The XS size loses the ability to go 29+ due to some size constraints but all other sizes can go real big.
    i see no possible way that a 27+ frame can accomodate a 29+ set of wheels (and vice versa) without some SERIOUS geometry compromises being made
    - 2012 Salsa Fargo
    - 2014 Stumpy FSR
    - 2015 Roubaix Carbon Disc
    - 2016 C-dale SuperX CX-1
    - 2016 Salsa Cutthroat

Not really fixed.
    I mean you could put a set of 20" wheels on a 29er and it would have the same geometry, but the crank would be in the dirt all the time. Seems like the 29+ option is just going to have a higher bottom bracket height than what some people are interested in. I also wonder if anyone really knows what they're shooting for in the new wild west of plus bikes. The multi-fargo still shows 70mm of BB drop, which depending on who you ask is either too low for a 29+ (as compared to a Krampus) or too high for a 29+ (as compared to an ECR).

I think if anything, with 70mm of drop, the 27+/29" mode would suck more than 29+, but it's worked for the Fargo pretty good up until this point...

Heck if you want to get even more confused the Deadwood had the same geometry as the Fargo, beside a one degree slacker headtube, and people *****ed and moaned about the geometry of both of them.

No one calls me Maurice.
    I must be getting old, aside from the idea of having a spare set of 29'r wheels to go with a Pugsly or a set of wheels for touring or cross tires for your 29'r (what I use for century+ rides on the road or in the gravel), I always thought I'd buy a bike I liked (wheels and all) and stick with it. When I've wanted another wheel size I always thought I'd buy another bike. If you're worried about a bunch of plus sizes, you should be thinking about plus sizing your collection. N+1 or N+1+1.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I mean you could put a set of 20" wheels on a 29er and it would have the same geometry, but the crank would be in the dirt all the time.
    that's kinda what I mean. The geometry is the same, but the bb height shows a substantial change which can obviously mess with the ride quality (i.e. not riding because your pedals are dragging on the ground

Quote Originally Posted by pdxfixed
    I also wonder if anyone really knows what they're shooting for in the new wild west of plus bikes. The multi-fargo still shows 70mm of BB drop, which depending on who you ask is either too low for a 29+ (as compared to a Krampus) or too high for a 29+ (as compared to an ECR).
    this is a very good point. the Plus-size market is still figuring itself out, much like when 29ers first came out and they hadn't figured out how best to set the geometry

If I hadn't personally ridden the Pony Rustler and loved it so much, I would probably hold off a lot longer on the plus bikes simply because I don't like to be an early adopter, I like the technology and such to get closer to finalizing. Let somebody else discover the problems and the fixes

Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    I must be getting old, aside from the idea of having a spare set of 29'r wheels to go with a Pugsly or a set of wheels for touring or cross tires for your 29'r (what I use for century+ rides on the road or in the gravel), I always thought I'd buy a bike I liked (wheels and all) and stick with it. When I've wanted another wheel size I always thought I'd buy another bike. If you're worried about a bunch of plus sizes, you should be thinking about plus sizing your collection. N+1 or N+1+1.
    well yes, except a good wheelset is just cheaper than a good bike with a good wheelset. :P

A bike that could roll decently in XC with a set of 29" wheels that could transform into a really good trail bike with 27.5+ wheels wouldn't be a bad thing. I'm just not sure the needed bb height adjustments allow for that
    - 2012 Salsa Fargo
    - 2014 Stumpy FSR
    - 2016 Salsa Cutthroat

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I have a 2015 L and on road I often feel an urge to stretch out more (wishing I had more reach), and off road the drop bars-knee clearance is tight when cornering sharp, and I have big feet so my toes often hit the fenders.

I have been thinking about a 2016 XL that the LBS has, but I am not sure. Seeing that the new L has more reach and wheelbase seems tempting. Also, GX instead of X7. But, if I do not run 29+ then maybe the best thing about the new Fargo is it may get my a price reduction on the one in stock at my LBS?

No one calls me Maurice.
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtrobo View Post
    A bike that could roll decently in XC with a set of 29" wheels that could transform into a really good trail bike with 27.5+ wheels wouldn't be a bad thing. I'm just not sure the needed bb height adjustments allow for that
    I thought about that with my Fargo, but the plus set can only be 2.8 in one tire (that I know of). I don't think it would substantially affect the BB height. Guitar Ted has done that and could speak to the result.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    MY new fargo build with a 2014 frame

The Salsa Fargo Thread-2038351-jxq8r6rabcdy-dsc_4040-large.jpg

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    I thought about that with my Fargo, but the plus set can only be 2.8 in one tire (that I know of). I don't think it would substantially affect the BB height. Guitar Ted has done that and could speak to the result.
    I built up a set of 27.5 wheels and put a set of WTB Trailblazer 2.8's on those wheels, which used Blunt 35's, by the way, on my Gen I Fargo. Too tight on the chain stays for mud clearance and the BB was a tic too low.

Then I swapped those wheels and tires into the Gen II Fargo, (2012) and they had good clearances and the BB didn't seem too low. That's where those wheels have stayed ever since. I rode the 2015 DK200 mudfest with them and they were perfect. (Amongst other rides)

I can see the new Fargo doing the swap between 29 and 27.5+ with no big issues, and remember this- the 2017 Fargo with the 27.5+ wheels is running 3" tires with good clearances, which makes less of a difference in BB height when switching from 29"er wheels then a 2.8" tire on 27.5 wheels does. I doubt the BB height difference from 27.5+ X 3" to 29"er X 2.2" is very significant and will work fine.

I am doubtful that, unless Salsa has an Alternator plate specific to 29+, that the BB height won't get jacked up a significant amount by slotting in 29+ wheels. Also- on the Fargo Facebook page someone that was at Saddledrive brought up that they were told that the Forest Service Green 2017 Fargo would not fit 29+ in any frame size. This has been questioned and apparently we are awaiting word direct from Salsa to clear that up.

Anyway, there are some technicalities that need clarification on this whole Fargo and 29+ wheel thing, obviously. Hopefully we'll be getting some more details soon.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    The only significant geometry change I can see for the Medium is the head tube angle. They went from 70.5 to 69. That seems like a big change. I guess it might help with my toe overlap but won't it really slow the steering? They mention the change allows for a 51mm offset fork but the specs show a 45mm offset fork...

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by buffallodan View Post
    The only significant geometry change I can see for the Medium is the head tube angle. They went from 70.5 to 69. That seems like a big change. I guess it might help with my toe overlap but won't it really slow the steering? They mention the change allows for a 51mm offset fork but the specs show a 45mm offset fork...
    Yes, 69° across the board. I thought it was strange about the 51mm offset compatibility as well. Heck, I ran a 51mm offset fork on my 2012 Fargo. What is there that isn't compatible there? Strange to see that written and then see their rigid forks are 45mm offset.

Fork offsets change handling, because they affect trail figures, but beyond this, the axle to crown dimension has more of an effect on geometry in regard to head angle, BB height, seat tube angle than changing offset, which only affects steering feel, if all else remains constant.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Not really fixed.
    The Fargo and the Deadwood shared Geometry last year (this year?) aside from a slight head angle tweak on the Deadwood. They had the same BB drop of 70mm, meaning that the new Fargo in 29+ mode is going to ride just the same as the Deadwood did. I mentioned this before in another post, but does anyone really know what the proper BB drop is for a 29+ bike? If you ask an ECR, 70mm isn't enough, but a Krampus will say it's much too low.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The Fargo and the Deadwood shared Geometry last year (this year?) aside from a slight head angle tweak on the Deadwood. They had the same BB drop of 70mm, meaning that the new Fargo in 29+ mode is going to ride just the same as the Deadwood did. I mentioned this before in another post, but does anyone really know what the proper BB drop is for a 29+ bike? If you ask an ECR, 70mm isn't enough, but a Krampus will say it's much too low.
    The 2017 Fargo also has 1cm shorter chainstays than the Deadwood. It also has a shorter front center, more stack, shorter wheelbase, and less reach (at least comparing size small).
    2003 Kona A
    2005 Kona A
    2012 Cannondale Hooligan
    2016 Salsa Deadwood

mtbr member
    Do you think it's possible to do anything like this on a Fargo with alternator dropouts?

Not sure where i could attach the cage... maybe on the lower mount?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ciquta View Post
    Do you think it's possible to do anything like this on a Fargo with alternator dropouts?

Not sure where i could attach the cage... maybe on the lower mount?

Don't think that is possible. The bolt is going to interfere with the bottle. Besides you do not want to mess with that dropout bolt.

What about the little hole on the left corner. I think it's possible to add a spacer. Here's my attempt out of some of my random spacers, nuts and bolts I go laying around.

I literally just tried it a few minutes ago.

The Salsa Fargo Thread-img_20160804_154322.jpg
    The Salsa Fargo Thread-img_20160804_154333.jpg

Doesn't look too streamlined like when mounted on the ECR.... It looks weird on the Fargo. The bottle cage might be in the way of your feet too.

mtbr member
    thanks for the images

yes, it doesn't look streamlined at all... why you talk about messing with dropout, should't be a big deal to attach a cage

mtbr member
    Here's another try on a different bolt. Looking much better, but unfortunately my heel is almost striking the bottle.

I'm actually looking forward to actually get this working on my Fargo too.

I don't see how you can mount a bottle cage onto the bottom dropout without sourcing a longer bolt, while making sure the threads are tightly and fully engaged to the alternator dropout.

The Salsa Fargo Thread-img_20160804_163404.jpg
    The Salsa Fargo Thread-img_20160804_163414.jpg

Not really fixed.
    The Salsa Fargo Thread-usb.jpg

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	usb.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	1086218
    these doesn't look nice for the paint...

anyway, there's not much to do here with the alternator dropout, it looks impossible to mount bottles without rubbing on the heel

trail rat
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	usb.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	1086218
    If you have actually tried those to mount a bottle cage, you know how quickly the weight of the bottle causes it to rotate and loosen on slightly rough pavement, let alone off road chunder.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    anything cage in the frame with a 64 oz. bottle perhaps?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VABikePacker View Post
    anything cage in the frame with a 64 oz. bottle perhaps?
    Saw these at Costco the other day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Well I sold my Fargo Ti a couple months ago. My back is really limiting my riding time. Anyway I picked up a new 2016 Genesis Vagabond frame and built it up with the parts from the Fargo. It is no Fargo, but it's pretty and all I need at the moment.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by HAGASAN View Post
    Saw these at Costco the other day.

Personal favorite choice so far is HydroFlask and DrinkTanks. Lots of others have entered the market.....

Velo Orange's "Mojave" bottle cage looks promising as well. I've been considering one of those to check it out. Potentially running the HydroFlask 40 oz. on it in the frame. Mine is an XL frame, so, loads of room and the Mojave cage very well may accommodate two 40 oz. bottles.

If those are insulated and review well, they may be worth a try for sure...

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Just picked up a 2016 X7. Really wanted the x9 with the carbon fork, but couldn't justify the cost right now. It will be an upgrade in the future though.

Saddle, stem, and tires have already been changed, but this is stock form. Trying to research better commuting tires, but options are endless.
    .The Salsa Fargo Thread-uploadfromtaptalk1470719211687.jpg

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I commute on Super Motos and I love them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Actually the Rapid Robs are not bad all around tires. My Fargo spends 80% of its time on pavement right now and they're good for it. I Had 38mm Specialized triggers on for a while, they were no fun and punctured too easily. The Rapid Robs are great because there are always curbs to be hopped and stairs to be ridden. Wear them out, then get something else.

mtbr member
    As an all-aroud tire I'd pick racing ralph any day of the week.
    They are light, rolls very fast and comes in 2,35" flavour.
    Only issue they don't last long considering the price... if that's an issue for you have a look to Smart Sam.

I have fastrolling racing ralph on the rear and more grippy Rocket Ron on the front. Quite happy with this setup although I have big apples ready for next trip.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMason View Post
    Actually the Rapid Robs are not bad all around tires. My Fargo spends 80% of its time on pavement right now and they're good for it. I Had 38mm Specialized triggers on for a while, they were no fun and punctured too easily. The Rapid Robs are great because there are always curbs to be hopped and stairs to be ridden. Wear them out, then get something else.
    that's funny, as my experience was literally the exact opposite.

I had Rapid Robs on for awhile and kept getting punctures. Went with a set of 38c Trigger Pros tubeless and they've been money.

Go figure. :P
    - 2012 Salsa Fargo
    - 2014 Stumpy FSR
    - 2016 Salsa Cutthroat

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    Also- on the Fargo Facebook page someone that was at Saddledrive brought up that they were told that the Forest Service Green 2017 Fargo would not fit 29+ in any frame size. This has been questioned and apparently we are awaiting word direct from Salsa to clear that up.
    I'm guessing they gave a simplified "official" answer and that the steel firestarter fork is the limiting factor. Sort of how Salsa also says that the 2016s shouldn't be run 27.5+

Dude Abiding
    Going far on the Continental Divide Trail, just west of Yellowstone:

Advocate Hayduke
    Salsa Blackborow
    Salsa Fargo

Ovaries on the Outside
    I picked a Fargo up for a commuter and I really love it. Really comfortable and smooth, climbs ok and handles pretty well with body english. Wish it had shorter chainstays and I wish Salsa would have included the Alternator dropouts with the fender eyelets as the stock option on a Fargo and the levers and the BB7s aren't best friends, but this is my favorite road bike in several years.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Salsa Fargo Thread-20160626_152527.jpg  

Last edited by umarth; 1 Week Ago at 11:01 AM. Reason: Photo keeps attaching sideways.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth View Post
    ... this is my favorite road bike in several years.
    heh! that's pretty awesome/funny.
    In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

No one calls me Maurice.
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth View Post
    I picked a Fargo up for a commuter and I really love it. Really comfortable and smooth, climbs ok and handles pretty well with body english. Wish it had shorter chainstays and I wish Salsa would have included the Alternator dropouts with the fender eyelets as the stock option on a Fargo and the levers and the BB7s aren't best friends, but this is my favorite road bike in several years.
    The levers and brakes will get better as they break in and you adjust them (at least they did for me). My Fargo gave me the "stink eye" today because I left her hanging. Too much lightening for my comfort level. I have weather limits, the Fargo does not.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Anyone run Jones bars on a Fargo? It looks like I'd need my regular road bike size with the wood chippers, but a size up with Jones. I'm 5'7" with a 33.3" inseam and 21" arms. My problem with a lot of mountain bikes is ending up with too much saddle to bar drop. I think with wood chippers, I'd need a small. Medium with jones. The high stack of the Fargo is hard to find on other mountain bikes. Currently on a size small Krampus. It works, but wondering if the stack on the Fargo would work better for me than a medium Krampus. Using Velocity blunts, 35 mm wide with Maxxis Ardents. Single speed setup. Considering a new frame set.

Also, how does this bike do on single track?

Thanks, all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    The bike is a fully capable rigid MTB. I've ridden it with the woodchippers on singletrack and it handles as you would expect a rigid MTB to handle.

5'7 33"+ inseam? Yowza, exact opposite of me (5'9, 30.5" inseam)

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Cool. It's hard for me to picture how a bike with such a high headtube handles. But I suppose my Krampus, with too many spacers and a steeply angled stem, is probably the same, and it has no issues.

The inseam isn't overly unusual for a woman of my height, but the long arms are. I'm beginning to think the short top tube correlation to short torso doesn't exist. It's all about the arms.

One thing, I use a zero-offset seatpost on all my bikes, even my 74 degree seatube road bikes, it's the only way I can somewhat get my knees over the pedals (I'm weird that way). It definitely makes it so I can use bikes a bit bigger than one would think, the zero-offset brings me 4 to 5 cm forward compared to a typical offset seatpost. (Though I think strait seatposts are more common with mountainbikers than roadies).

The woodchippers are cool, but I love the Jones H bars. Besides, I already have 3 dropbar road bikes, though one is a cx.
    2015 Surly Krampus SS
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I'm sure this has been asked already, but I can't seem to find it anywhere: does anyone know what's the widest tire that can fit comfortably in the rear of a 2016 Fargo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    I'm sure this has been asked already, but I can't seem to find it anywhere: does anyone know what's the widest tire that can fit comfortably in the rear of a 2016 Fargo?

I just saw a post a few pages back. The owner had a 2.4" Ardent on his Fargo, and felt that was the widest it could go. Might have been a 2014.

Check out 5125 - 5128. Different post from what I saw earlier, but nice pics.

The Salsa Fargo Thread
    2015 Surly Krampus SS
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    Apr 2016

I believe salsa's websites states 2.4" and I'd mostly stick to that. There isn't much room left with the stock 2.35" it comes with.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Thanks everyone, hope you don't mind if I ask another dumb question - does the carbon firestarter fork have a carbon steerer tube?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    It looks like I'd need my regular road bike size with the wood chippers, but a size up with Jones. I'm 5'7" with a 33.3" inseam and 21" arms.
    i'm 5'7" with a 32" inseam, not sure how to measure my arms but i get 23" from wrist to AC joint. my fargo is a small, it has dropbars, and yes, the bars are quite a bit lower than the saddles on all of my bikes, too. not sure how to set up a jones bar, but my properly-fitted full suspension bike with a regular riserbar has a 582mm ETT. i think it is fairly typical for the mtn bike ETT to be about 40mm longer than the road bike, so i would need a large fargo for flatbars.

ymmv, but it might be worth a test drive on a "small" mariachi (ETT 580mm), or something similar, if you can wrangle that.

for reference, my fargo has a 70mm stem, my fully has an 80mm stem.

... and the fargo is great on singletrack!
    In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thanks everyone, hope you don't mind if I ask another dumb question - does the carbon firestarter fork have a carbon steerer tube?

I'm just guessing here, but I don't think so.