Page 107 of 166 FirstFirst ... 7 57 97 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 117 157 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,675 of 4129
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by coalminer View Post
    First a little background.

I have an 09 XL Fargo (Fun Guy Green) with the XT build. I love it. Its my favorite bike of all time but I have often thought about a different bar; the Jones H Bar for instance.

I just bought my wife a 2013 Fargo 3 as an upgrade from her Kona Africa Bike. She wants to begin increasing her mileage.

As you can imagine, going from the very upright positon with the swept back handle bars on the Kona, the new Fargo feel a little stretched out to her.

At present, the top of the bars on the Fargo are an inch or two above the top of the seat giving her as much of an upright position as possible with the Woodchippers.

Now the quandry.

She would like to be a little more upright still, so I was thinking about the Jones H Bar with a short stem, which would seem to create a riding position that is a little closer to what she had on the Kona.

If I go with the H Bars, I'm thinking about some kind of adapter for the bar ends, the Paul Thumbies come to mind, and a mountain bike style of brake lever (if they will work with the Avid BB7 Roads that came on the bike).

What do you all think about what I have described with the H Bars and the short stem, and how would you set up the shifters and the brakes. The Fargo 3 came with barends and road style brake levers.

You are probably not going to pull in the stem all that much, as the H bars will bring your hands back almost in line to the center of the stem, compared to the woodchippers. When I tried this I went from a 9cm stem to a 12 or 14 with the H bar. Hands were still closer than with the chippers.

Paul Tumbies will take the bar ends, assuming they are Shimano or SRAM. Not sure if they take anything else. I have used this setup with an H Bar on my Pugsley.

You will need to get new brake levers. There could be some slight issue as the BB7 Road take less cable pull than BB7 mountain, which is what standard mountain levers want to pull.
    Might not be an issue. I set mine up like this for a brief stretch last winter and brakes worked fine for the short while I rode it. I couldn't get comfortable so went back to chippers.

Sounds like she needs a shorter stem on the Fargo with the Woodchipper.

Have you compared between each bike:

Tip of saddle to center of BB?
    Then tip of saddle to controls?

Combined with bar drop to saddle this will give you a good sense if it just 'feels' different or really is stretched out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Why not just try a shorter stem first and tilt the bars up a bit. 20-30 mm shorter stem is a huge difference, and rolling the bars up a cm or so, really helps. Also, a saddle that allows her to roll her hips forward will give her a more effective reach. Most saddles press on women's sensitive areas, so they roll their hips back or need to sit up to protect them. The Selle SMPs are supposed to help this, but I have no experience with them. I do have a couple of Cobb saddles. The Flow Plus that I have on my MTB really helps this. I will probably get one for my Fargo. For a woman, the FLOW might be just as good or better. Also, slide the saddle forward a bit. A few mm/cm here and there can make a huge difference.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    She would like to be a little more upright still, so I was thinking about the Jones H Bar with a short stem, which would seem to create a riding position that is a little closer to what she had on the Kona.

If I go with the H Bars, I'm thinking about some kind of adapter for the bar ends, the Paul Thumbies come to mind, and a mountain bike style of brake lever (if they will work with the Avid BB7 Roads that came on the bike).

What do you all think about what I have described with the H Bars and the short stem, and how would you set up the shifters and the brakes. The Fargo 3 came with barends and road style brake levers.
    I went through the same process with my Gen 1 Fargo. I ended up with a shorter stem, upside-down Ragley Carnegie bar, Paul Thumbies with Shimano bar end shifters, and Avid Single Digit levers. My brakes are BB7 Mountain, though--I don't know about lever compatibility with the road version. This made all the difference in the world for me and turned the Fargo from an OK bike into my favorite bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Many thanks for the replies thus far.

Already Installed the the shortest Ritchey adjustable stem which both pulled the bars in and raised them up a bit with the stem adjusted to its steepest angle.

All the basic measurements between the two bikes are relatively close, considering of course the differences in the bikes.

The Fargo has a Brooks B68S saddle with the Thudbuster seatpost off of my Fargo. I'm stemless for the moment.

At present, the only real issue seems to be that the reach to the bars on the Fargo feels, and is, farther than on the Kona Africa Bike; which is as it should be given the differences in the bars.

I think that in the short term at least she is going to like the feel of a bar that gives her a more upright position similiar to the Kona; at least until her mileage increases to the point that she begins to appreciate the different hand positions on the Woodchipper.

Please keep the advice and the ideas coming...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Has anyone else noticed their paint being fairly.... quick to wear? I've had many bikes, and never have I had a brake cable housing wear all the way through the paint this quickly! I've had a 2012 Cream Scheme Fargo for a bit over a month, with just a few hundred miles on it, and one of the brake cable housings has already worn the paint on the head tube down to bare steel. What do you do, try to color-match some paint to cover it? Do those rubber things you put around your cable housings really help?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SocratesDiedTrolling View Post
    Do those rubber things you put around your cable housings really help?
    They seem to. The LBS that assembled my '12 Fargo 2 put rubber donuts on my cable housings, including a long one on the cable for the front brake. The paint is, so far, unmarked by the cables. Back in the day when I worked at a LBS, I used to put little circles of clear film on the parts of the frame most likely to be affected by this. A lot of bikes back then came with a sheet of them, and I kept some clipped to my workstand.

One idea: look for a local automobile window tinting place. See if they'll give you some scraps of "clear bra" material. That stuff is very robust and would be perfect for this.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by coalminer View Post
    Many thanks for the replies thus far.

Already Installed the the shortest Ritchey adjustable stem which both pulled the bars in and raised them up a bit with the stem adjusted to its steepest angle.

All the basic measurements between the two bikes are relatively close, considering of course the differences in the bikes.

The Fargo has a Brooks B68S saddle with the Thudbuster seatpost off of my Fargo. I'm stemless for the moment.

At present, the only real issue seems to be that the reach to the bars on the Fargo feels, and is, farther than on the Kona Africa Bike; which is as it should be given the differences in the bars.

I think that in the short term at least she is going to like the feel of a bar that gives her a more upright position similiar to the Kona; at least until her mileage increases to the point that she begins to appreciate the different hand positions on the Woodchipper.

Please keep the advice and the ideas coming...
    Sounds like the frame is too big.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    coalminer, how tall is your wife?

My wife is five feet even, and as much as I think a Fargo would be a great first MTB for her, I can't imagine one fitting her at all.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    krshultz-

If you find a nice bike that fits your wife be sure to post it. My wife is also 5' nothing and is having a hard time finding a nice mtb. She is currently riding my son's older 13" Fisher Marlin hard tail. We might be doing some of the Great Divide next year so I would like to get her something a little nicer, especially if I end up getting a Ti Fargo that I am currently debating.

Quote Originally Posted by krshultz View Post
    coalminer, how tall is your wife?

My wife is five feet even, and as much as I think a Fargo would be a great first MTB for her, I can't imagine one fitting her at all.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Frame is a medium. Wife is 5'8". Could have gone either way in frame size. She chose the medium in order to achieve a desired bar height in relation to saddle height. By all the "rules" of bike fitting, the fit is very close to correct. Many opinions in these regards. Now just fine tuning and adjusting for personal preference. Also adjusting mentally and physically from one style of bike and riding position to another. We both like the idea of the Jones Loop H Bar so ordered one yesterday to see if it works for either or both of us. Many thanks for your replies and suggestions.

mtbr member
    @Coalminer... you said the geometry on the salsa is very close to the kona. that should not be the case, if she intends to ride with drop bars. the ETT should be shorter on the salsa to compensate for the forward projection to the hoods/drops. for example... my FS mtn bike has an ETT of 584mm. my crossthing with WTB dirt drops has a 540mm ETT. they both have 80mm stems and both fit me perfectly.

your wifey is my height, i need a small fargo (my inseam is 32"). ETT is far more important than head tube length for comfort. anyway, that's for future reference. for now, she may have to stick with mtn style bars on that frame. check out the Misfit Psycles FUbar. it has the effect of shortening the cockpit.

@Bluechip... a friend of mine (4'11") recently bought a 13" Specialized Myka, which is a WSD hardtail frame. she is very happy with it.
    Last edited by kevrider; 10-27-2012 at 05:38 PM.
    In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

2OFME
    Sep 2006
    Fargo for short people. I'm 5'4" with a 30" inseam. I ride a gen1 Fargo with a 70mm stem. Seat height is 68.5cm. The Gen2 Fargo have a slightly shorter effective TT length.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Granite Gear bottle snugglies by mbeganyi, on Flickr

just picked these up for winter rides. pugsley if we get good snow, fargo with studs if not.

these are the aquasack variety, so not as robust as the aquatherm variety, but they were in the clearance bin @ the local gear exchange. ~12 each.

these will likely fare better than an insulated hydration line.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Microshift Bar-End 9-Speed shifters

Hi,

First post just got a brand new Fargo, the nicest bike I've ever owned. But it's my first use of the bar end shifters. I think mines the Fargo 3 with the complete bike components.( great looking blue). I was having trouble with the rear shifter and took it back to My LBS after an 12 mile ride. He's a great guy and worked on it for about 2 hours, with no luck. ( he's a one man shop so he had to stop for other customers). But anyway he couldn't get it to work right which made me happy because it wasn't my stupidity, which is rare.

Bottom line is he switched my end shifter to Shimano dura ace I think, which he was more familiar with and after todays ride it seemed to work great. My question is are the Microshift Bar-End 9-Speed shifters, sketchy or did we just get a bad set. Chuck admitted he wasn't as familiar with the microshifts but it was friday night and we couldn't call tech support and he didn't want me to have to wait for my bike.

Any input would be great, I think I've read almost every post in this thread waiting to buy this bike, but I've never seen this issue addressed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Cool-blue Rhythm second post

Hi,

My post above, just wanted to add, try not to be bitter and jealous that the "cool guy blue" is better than the "fun guy green". I'm not sure what to say to the "plain guy tan" crew.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    plain guy tan: may my bike be plain, and my adventures grand...

from a local ride, nothing exciting save the wind on the lake and the gray drab, and the raw cold. a perfect day for a plain guy tan fargo ride

fargo daily driver setup by mbeganyi, on Flickr

29 inches, conti race kings by mbeganyi, on Flickr

cockpit by mbeganyi, on Flickr

2 salsas, end of the cold, windy causeway by mbeganyi, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Where did you guys ride? I just finished building up my new salsa Friday. Broke it in on a bike path -> Leddy -> Intervale -> Winooski loop on Saturday. Love the new bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jjabkrvt View Post
    Where did you guys ride? I just finished building up my new salsa Friday. Broke it in on a bike path -> Leddy -> Intervale -> Winooski loop on Saturday. Love the new bike.
    I did HS trails and then intervale to meet a friend downtown. Then we went out the causeway. Really windy today out there.

I usually do a BTV HS trails and intervale loop a few times a week. Sometimes I get up to sunny hollow. Was thinking I need to get out to Richmond area and west Bolton again.

What did you build up ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    An el mar with a mix of stuff off the old moots.

Set up more towards dirt roads and milder trails. Looking forward to some trips next summer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jjabkrvt View Post
    An el mar with a mix of stuff off the old moots.

Set up more towards dirt roads and milder trails. Looking forward to some trips next summer.
    Nice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I know this has been asked before, but I did a search (I"m lousy at that) and couldn't find it.
    I have a Salsa 2 and would like to put a triple on there. Is there any snowball's chance in hell that I could make it work with the Apex shifter? Other than that, I guess I'd like to find a 24-39 and put a 42 on there. It works with compact road derailleurs. I know a former pro triathlete that has used a 52-34 for years.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

frosty morning by mbeganyi, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I am also having a hard time with the Microshift bar-ends on my Fargo 3. I get it shifting fine on the stand and it is ok for the first half of a ride then the shifting seems to wander and I spend the rest of the ride adjusting. Any suggestions short of switching to Shimano? There seems to be quite a varied opinion on the Microshifts, some seem to work great while a lot of people have problems similar to mine which seem hard to pin down and correct.

On the bright side I finally talked my wife into a Fargo 2. She did not like the bar-ends and we found a 2012 at a small discount. I was a little surprised how much nicer the spec is overall than the 3. Ends up being quite a bit lighter. I would hate to give up the Fun Guy Green though. But if you are thinking about a Fargo 2 the MSRP is going up 200.00 for 2013 so find a leftover 2012!

TT

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by teletimg View Post
    I am also having a hard time with the Microshift bar-ends on my Fargo 3. I get it shifting fine on the stand and it is ok for the first half of a ride then the shifting seems to wander and I spend the rest of the ride adjusting. Any suggestions short of switching to Shimano? There seems to be quite a varied opinion on the Microshifts, some seem to work great while a lot of people have problems similar to mine which seem hard to pin down and correct.

On the bright side I finally talked my wife into a Fargo 2. She did not like the bar-ends and we found a 2012 at a small discount. I was a little surprised how much nicer the spec is overall than the 3. Ends up being quite a bit lighter. I would hate to give up the Fun Guy Green though. But if you are thinking about a Fargo 2 the MSRP is going up 200.00 for 2013 so find a leftover 2012!

TT
    Are you using an inline adjuster between the shifter and then derailer? On my Gen 2 I had issues with the stock adjuster 'unwinding' as I turned the bars. I switched to a different brand and all was fine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Just want to thank everyone on this thread for helping me with the decision to buy a Fargo. I have now had the Fargo for a year (2011 model) and would like to give my impressions. Initially I rode the bike last Fall as a mountain bike and some rode gravel and farm field roads. Started this Spring with the stock tires (Conti Race King) and it took some time to bond with the Fargo. At first it felt heavy and slow, I had some difficulty getting comfortable on it, and it did not shift very well. My other bike is a Tricross, which I rode about 4000 miles in 2011, including a credit card tour across Wisconsin. I stayed with the Fargo and did some road and gravel riding, put Clement Explorer tires and a Brooks B17 saddle and a new chain and had the LBS work on the shifting. After 1500 miles I have fallen in love with the Fargo! I rode it 420 miles across Iowa in October, with half being on gravel roads, and have ridden it as a mountain bike with Rampage tires and farm bike with Vulpines. I have found very little that this bike cannot do, and I find myself wanting to explore every gravel and farm road I ride past. I live in southwestern Wisconsin in the driftless area, so I get a lot of variety of terrain to ride. I like the ability to change tires and have a capable bike for everything I ride. I have outfitted it with some frame bags and a front rack, and will use it for some camping next year.

Thank you to everyone in this thread; I have read and reread all I can find on the Fargo and have really had fun with this bike.