Page 106 of 110 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110 LastLast
Results 5,251 to 5,300 of 5478
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    The Ergo Gary Sweep OS is a bar that has a million other names: genetic digest, satori boondocks, koga beachcruiser, and veloorange has them as the daija far. Some info here: Budget dirt drop bars

I've got a normal Gary Sweep OS, and love it. It's a little tough to measure spacing, but with my setup the width at the very narrowest point of the hoods (at the top) is 14.5", vs 14" with my 44cm woodchipper. And at the bottom of the levers it's 21" vs 19" for the woodchipper. I switched to it from the woodchipper and think it's a million times more comfortable.

thanks, looks like i have some reading to do, i keep wondering if the mythical luxe bar will also make a return

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    been riding out in dawson city, yukon for the last month.
    fargo set up with 27.5+ x 2.8 trailblazers on velocity blunt 35s. 1000s of km of gravel roads and quad trails out here plus 24 hr sunlight makes riding possible any time of the day or night!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Salsa Fargo Thread-2016-06-10-20.45.46.jpg  

The Salsa Fargo Thread-2016-06-10-20.43.09.jpg  

The Salsa Fargo Thread-2016-06-10-19.52.31.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sjstewart View Post
    been riding out in dawson city, yukon for the last month.
    fargo set up with 27.5+ x 2.8 trailblazers on velocity blunt 35s. 1000s of km of gravel roads and quad trails out here plus 24 hr sunlight makes riding possible any time of the day or night!
    Thanks for the pics. I've been considering the 27.5+ conversion myself. How's your clearance with the 2.8's? I sure it's good but I always have to ask anyway.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    there is lots of clearance. i would almost consider going with a wider tire, or probably the better option, a wider rim.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Sjstewart,

Are you running the 27.5+ with standard hub 135mm QR or upgraded to 142mm thru? If so, how is the upgrade done? Have to buy the Salsa Alternators?

Proper Gnomenclature
    A recent Fargo adventure:

GTNP and Beyond
    Advocate Hayduke
    Surly ECR
    Surly Straggler
    Salsa Blackborow

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    QR front and back. to my knowledge getting replacement alternator plates for the frame is the only option.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I have not been to Dawson for decades... I have family who mine on the other side of the border in Chicken, AK and there are so many trails due to 100+ years of mining. I might need to go do some riding up there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    haha i was just up for chickenstock!
    riding in dawson is great. trails for miles! come hang out!
    where are you now?

Proper Gnomenclature
    New One Up 40T ring on my Fargo:

Advocate Hayduke
    Surly ECR
    Surly Straggler
    Salsa Blackborow

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    What Racks are you all running on your fargo's. I need a rack for the variety of panniers i have but not wanting ti shell out 100 for the salsa version.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    QR front and back. to my knowledge getting replacement alternator plates for the frame is the only option.
    How has the 27.5 changed BB height? More pedal strikes?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    haha i was just up for chickenstock!
    riding in dawson is great. trails for miles! come hang out!
    where are you now?
    I live just outside of Anchorage. I am hoping to get a trip in on the Chickaloon trails, there are some that no longer connect. I am thinking maybe because people and horses could go where atv's could not. So maybe on bike I can make it through?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Anyone know how wide of a 29er tire (on 29er Blunt 35s) I can get on the front, Salsa X7 steel fork? 2.5 maybe? On back, 2.35? Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by cm1982 View Post
    How has the 27.5 changed BB height? More pedal strikes?
    definitely lower, jus gotta be a lil more aware.

Quote Originally Posted by samwe View Post
    I live just outside of Anchorage. I am hoping to get a trip in on the Chickaloon trails, there are some that no longer connect. I am thinking maybe because people and horses could go where atv's could not. So maybe on bike I can make it through?
    let go camping on saturday!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    definitely lower, jus gotta be a lil more aware.

let go camping on saturday!!!
    This weekend is canoeing. Summer in Alaska means cramming a lot of adventure into too few weekends.

And, to stay on topic, the Fargo is the perfect do it all bike for this place.

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cm1982 View Post
    Anyone know how wide of a 29er tire (on 29er Blunt 35s) I can get on the front, Salsa X7 steel fork? 2.5 maybe? On back, 2.35? Thanks
    Salsa lists the V2 Fargo fork to have clearance for 2.5" tire
    Fargo V2 Fork | Parts & Accessories | Salsa Cycles

But I could swore they listed it at 3" tire when I bought the fork 1.5 years ago. I just measured it, and the opening is ~3.5" at the tire.

Since the current gen fork is longer, I can't imagine the tire clearance has got less.

Not really fixed.
    Speaking of the V2 Fargo fork, if anyone has one with a loooong steer tube (XL karate monkey sized) I would be more than happy to buy it from you

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    FYI,
    My 2016 Fargo X7 (large) is now posted in the classifieds. Like new, will ship.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I've been looking for a rack for the Fargo that doesnt sit up too high using the alternator holes. I went with the Blackburn Central. I think it fits well. Install was pretty easy. The tabs for the disk mount did not fit exactly flush inside the dropout hole but I got it to work with longer bolts.
    The Salsa Fargo Thread-img_3790.jpgThe Salsa Fargo Thread-img_3789.jpgThe Salsa Fargo Thread-img_3788.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    My new (to me) 2015 Fargo 2 Suspension:

Took it out for her maiden voyage yesterday and fell head over heals in love. Thought I was getting a medium, but thru some mix ups the PO didn't realize it was a Large. But good news, I test road both sizes before I bought it, and I can ride either, just gotta watch the SO Hieght . . . . (I'm 5'10" ±).

On a side note, need to get a second set of wheels for some more road friendly tires. Any suggestions for some middle of the road wheels? Not really looking to build something from the ground up, just something for running around town, pulling the kid trailer and keeping pace with the wife on her road bike. For ref, I've decided to run BigApples.

Thanks,
    M

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by M.Klapp View Post
    My new (to me) 2015 Fargo 2 Suspension:

Took it out for her maiden voyage yesterday and fell head over heals in love. Thought I was getting a medium, but thru some mix ups the PO didn't realize it was a Large. But good news, I test road both sizes before I bought it, and I can ride either, just gotta watch the SO Hieght . . . . (I'm 5'10" ±).

On a side note, need to get a second set of wheels for some more road friendly tires. Any suggestions for some middle of the road wheels? Not really looking to build something from the ground up, just something for running around town, pulling the kid trailer and keeping pace with the wife on her road bike. For ref, I've decided to run BigApples.

Thanks,
    M
    Nice!

I tested my new rock shox reba on my local dune trail. Must say that the handling improved in the rooty sections. Overall, the fargo feels different when riding with a suspension fork, easier and covered up my mistakes on the trail. I'm used to the carbon firestarter fork and I also like that fork a lot.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Thanks, and nice set up. Really digging the Reba myself. Was looking for something with the ridged carbon fire starter, but came across this and couldn't pass it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Thanks,
    M
    I run the Super Motos. Basically lightweight Big Apples. They seem fast, and they are lots of fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by samwe View Post
    I run the Super Motos. Basically lightweight Big Apples. They seem fast, and they are lots of fun.
    I was looking at those too, but was leaning BigApple for the longevity.

M

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

M
    Certainly not the lightest, but I use Schwalbe Marathons for pavement riding. They're the most bomb proof tires I've ever had. They come in different widths, I've got 45's.

swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Oct 2009
    There is a titanium fargo version 2 for sale on ebay right now for not much $$. It includes lots of accessories.
    [I]Red Dirt Sky[/I]

mtbr member

Lake Ride

The Salsa Fargo Thread-fargolake.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by GPcruiser View Post
    I've been looking for a rack for the Fargo that doesnt sit up too high using the alternator holes. I went with the Blackburn Central. I think it fits well. Install was pretty easy. The tabs for the disk mount did not fit exactly flush inside the dropout hole but I got it to work with longer bolts.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3790.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	299.5 KB 
ID:	1078353Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3789.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	302.9 KB 
ID:	1078354Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3788.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	389.7 KB 
ID:	1078355
    Did you have to use any spacers to get the legs to rest properly?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Does anyone know if salsa has stopped producing the steel firestarter fork? My bikeshop can't get one and it seems to be sold out everywhere online including Europe. I'm thinking of buying a fargo and would need to swap out the fork for an uncut one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mguz View Post
    Did you have to use any spacers to get the legs to rest properly?
    no spacers needed. the tabs do r the mount do not fit perfectly into the drpout indent. it fits but is to wide to fit flush to the plate. This causes the width to flare by about 1/4" on each side. It visually bothers me a bit but it does hold my panniers just fine

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    My rear derailleur died last trip and I'm looking for upgrade suggestions. It was the the stock Deore and I'm thinking XT or XTR this time around. I read Josh Kato's blog regarding his setup for the Tour Divide but can't find the XTR RD-M960 GS for sale anywhere. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    2012 Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepyhead no9 View Post
    Does anyone know if salsa has stopped producing the steel firestarter fork? My bikeshop can't get one and it seems to be sold out everywhere online including Europe. I'm thinking of buying a fargo and would need to swap out the fork for an uncut one.
    i was told they are supposed to be getting more in this summer. they were waiting on a shipment in April so I don't know where there at now. but the surly krampus fork is essentially the same one. I had to replace mine with the surly fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tinpusher View Post
    My rear derailleur died last trip and I'm looking for upgrade suggestions. It was the the stock Deore and I'm thinking XT or XTR this time around. I read Josh Kato's blog regarding his setup for the Tour Divide but can't find the XTR RD-M960 GS for sale anywhere. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    XT is brilliant quality and half the price. Unless you have the cash burning a hole in your pocket, it's the go to stuff for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Drive train

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuanswan View Post
    Here's mine. Apologies for the poor quality photo; it's a cell phone camera.

This is my first nice bike. I've been riding MTBs off and on for 15 years, but they were both totally stock, much lower end bikes. I wanted to get a good do-it-all bike for my 40th birthday, with bias toward something that would work for bike camping and long gravel road exploration. I know very little (read: next to nothing) about components, bike fit, or bike technology in general, but when I saw the photos of the Fargo, it was love at first sight.

I ordered a frame from the regional Salsa dealer and they assured me I'd be getting one of the very first ones. I relied on their advice along with the factory bike specs, and had them build it for me. It's very similar to the factory complete bike, except that the wheels are the Salsa Delgado 29er Race model, and the shifters are different. Oh, and I got the Thudbuster ST after seeing it on the Gnat blog.

I've had it for about 5 days, and thus far I've done some town cruising, a couple of hours of singletrack, and some laps on a local cyclocross course. So far it's a blast. It feels like it's glued to the ground, but fast. I have no idea how a bike like this should fit, so I'm open to suggestions. Right after taking the photo I lowered the handlebars to one spacer above the bottom, and it seems OK. I have very short legs for my height (5'11", 30" inseam), so the sloping top tube is really nice for me.

The bike handles really well on singletrack, but the clearance is a little low for many of the trails around here. I'm sure it's probably set up this way to enhance stability while touring, which is fine with me.

I have a Surly rear rack and a frame bag on order for it. So far two people have independently named it my "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome Bike", which I think fits it quite well.

PS: I'm also soliciting recommendations on fenders that will work with racks.

What drive train are you running on that I see the XT cranks with the bar end shifters but supposedly they aren't compatible.

Thanks
    JEFF

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    THe Surly Krampus 29" Fork 1-1/8" Threadless Black Boss Model with Mounts is pretty much the same fork.

Of course they are probably out of stock now too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicCarpet View Post
    XT is brilliant quality and half the price. Unless you have the cash burning a hole in your pocket, it's the go to stuff for me.
    Thanks MagicCarpet
    I went with the Deore XT M772 derailleur and an M770 XT cassette. Of note the cassette had little knobs on the wheel side of the big sprocket which rubbed against the plastic spoke protector. Once I removed the spoke protector the hub spun freely.
    2012 Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

M
    I've got a second set of wheels with Schwalbe 2.15" Big Bens. Tread is similar to Big Apples, but with a little more depth. I thought the tread might prove more more durable than the Big Apple, and would also provide additional traction off the pavement. Been happy with them so far.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jmezz911 View Post
    What drive train are you running on that I see the XT cranks with the bar end shifters but supposedly they aren't compatible.

Thanks
    JEFF
    I've got the same model Fargo with more or less the same components. I'm running Shimano 9 speed bar end shifters with XT M770 series derailleurs and crankset. Works perfectly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Incidentally, I'm looking for an XT M771 48-36-26 170mm crankset for my 2009 Fargo if anyone has one they'd be willing to part with.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by ironacct View Post
    I've got the same model Fargo with more or less the same components. I'm running Shimano 9 speed bar end shifters with XT M770 series derailleurs and crankset. Works perfectly.
    As a data point for future reference, any Shimano road shifter will work with any Shimano rear derailleur up to 9 speed. When Shimano went to 10 speed mtb components, it changed the design of the rear derailleurs so they would not be compatible with 10 speed road shifters.

There are workarounds from Wolftooth and from Gevenalle that allow you to match up 10 speed DynaSys rear derailleurs with a ten speed shifter.

I am not sure there are any 11 speed workarounds yet, but there may be something out there for that by now.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    As a data point for future reference, any Shimano road shifter will work with any Shimano rear derailleur up to 9 speed.
    this doesn't include STI type shifters, right? I have a Fargo 2013, 9-speed with 11-34t in the rear and Deore cassette and derailleurs, and Sora road shifters didn't work
    - 2012 Salsa Fargo
    - 2014 Stumpy FSR
    - 2015 Roubaix Carbon Disc
    - 2016 C-dale SuperX CX-1
    - 2016 Salsa Cutthroat

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtrobo View Post
    this doesn't include STI type shifters, right? I have a Fargo 2013, 9-speed with 11-34t in the rear and Deore cassette and derailleurs, and Sora road shifters didn't work
    That is quite odd and contrary to anything I have heard / read. Personally, I have 6510 Ultegra 9-speed shifters (STI) working great with XT cassette (11-34) and XT derailleur (M772). My commuter has SL R660 flat bar shifters (which are Ultegra level) and they work fine with XT M750 rear derailleur and XT cassette (11-32).

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ryoanji View Post
    That is quite odd and contrary to anything I have heard / read. Personally, I have 6510 Ultegra 9-speed shifters (STI) working great with XT cassette (11-34) and XT derailleur (M772). My commuter has SL R660 flat bar shifters (which are Ultegra level) and they work fine with XT M750 rear derailleur and XT cassette (11-32).
    is this in combination with a MTB triple up front? I have a Deore 48-36-26 up front with Deore FD
    - 2012 Salsa Fargo
    - 2014 Stumpy FSR
    - 2016 Salsa Cutthroat

mtbr member
    May 2015
    No road triple FD and cranks. But why should it matter for *rear* derailleur shifting?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ryoanji View Post
    No road triple FD and cranks. But why should it matter for *rear* derailleur shifting?
    *shrugs* dunno, just know it didn't work properly. Of course thinking back, it was the FD that was more of a problem than the rear
    - 2012 Salsa Fargo
    - 2014 Stumpy FSR
    - 2016 Salsa Cutthroat

mtbr member
    May 2015
    RD should work. That is the beauty of Shimano 9 speed is that everything essentially is interchangable. The only recognized exception to the rule is FD - there is an issue of chainline which is wider for mtb cranks. I.e. road shifters don't pull (as they don't need to for road RD) enough cable, so you can only get good shifting upfront between any two rings but not really the third.

That is actually the area, I am quite interested in. So, there are two work-arounds - the first one is to install cable pull-ratio converter. The other one is to go with *road* front derailleur. Here is the thread that suggests that it should work:
    Shifting LX front derailleur with Ultegra shifters

Here is another blog post that suggests that this can be done:
    https://ladyfleur.wordpress.com/2013...rrain-touring/

"Configuring the gearing on this bike was no easy task since I wanted low mountain bike gears with road levers. So I took it to Charles at Passion Trail Bikes. He and his staff found the right front derailer (Tiagra, no less) that would shift properly for this unconventional setup. Thanks, Charles, for doing what Sheldon said was impossible!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtrobo View Post
    is this in combination with a MTB triple up front? I have a Deore 48-36-26 up front with Deore FD
    I believe that's the source of the problem. The STI shifters don't play nice with MTB front derailleurs. Try a triple road FD and I suspect it will work. I'm running the same setup as ryoanji on a Niner right now, with an Ultegra FD-6503 front derailleur and it shifts very nicely.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ironacct View Post
    I believe that's the source of the problem. The STI shifters don't play nice with MTB front derailleurs. Try a triple road FD and I suspect it will work. I'm running the same setup as ryoanji on a Niner right now, with an Ultegra FD-6503 front derailleur and it shifts very nicely.

yeah, the only problem is will a road FD actually handle a 48-36-26? road usually isn't geared the low is it?
    - 2012 Salsa Fargo
    - 2014 Stumpy FSR
    - 2016 Salsa Cutthroat

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm using an Ultegra triple front derailleur with an XT M770 44-32-22 crankset and it shifts great, for what it's worth. Given your rings are larger, I suspect it should work with your setup, too. Might be worth a try.