Page 105 of 167 FirstFirst ... 5 55 95 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 115 155 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,625 of 4175
    Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkblot View Post
    Hey all

I've looked through the thread but haven't really found the info I need yet. I bought a Fargo 2 mid last year and it's great, though it's mostly been used for commuting.

Several stick attacks has seen several major drive train malfunctions on my Giant mtb in the middle of nowhere over the last couple of years, so now I'm rapidly converting to the idea of Salsa with Rohloff for offroad bikepacking. I've seen Rohloff in action off-road for several years and it just goes and goes. Derailleurs are fine near home, but I want a more robust train out in the middle of nowhere.

And now I've got that queasy feeling that the El Mariachi 3 with Alternator would've been the set-up for me. Does anyone know if the Fargo 2 is easily adapted to the Rohloff IGH (I don't mind a tensioner wheel) or am I flogging a dead horse? Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Cheers
    See- to my mind, this has been the biggest fault with the Fargo concept since the beginning. It is an Adventure Bike. It needs a single speed/IGH option. For the reasons you state, obviously, but also for us that want derailleur drivetrains and need that SS-able option to bail us out when things go pear-shaped out there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Does anyone know if the Fargo 2 is easily adapted to the Rohloff IGH (I don't mind a tensioner wheel) or am I flogging a dead horse?
    You can throw a rohloff into any frame. Your problem is only with chain tension. As long as you find a tensioner that works for you, I wouldn't consider it an issue. Somewhere in this thread I believe there was also a Fargo that had a eccentric bb housing welded into it, although that's a bit extreme for my taste considering the cost of the frame itself is now up to $700 MSRP.

I plan on keeping a spare cable, derailleur and hanger on me. A lot cheaper than a rohloff and still lighter, i believe.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Does anyone know if the Fargo 2 is easily adapted to the Rohloff IGH (I don't mind a tensioner wheel) or am I flogging a dead horse? Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Cheers
    Dead easy to chuck a rohloff in the back, tensioner for the chain tension, torque arm for the torque. The real problem lies in the shifting.

Rohloff dont make a drop bar shifter so your be stuck with a bodge to get it on the bar end or one of the berthoud (sp?) shifters, and that sits on the tops next to your stem so not ideal for most folks.

I think this is the main reason the Fargo has never got alternators, if you want a hub-geared bike you (or 99% of the buying public anyway) better off with flat bars and therefore, an El Mar.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dickyelsdon View Post
    Dead easy to chuck a rohloff in the back, tensioner for the chain tension, torque arm for the torque. The real problem lies in the shifting.

Rohloff dont make a drop bar shifter so your be stuck with a bodge to get it on the bar end or one of the berthoud (sp?) shifters, and that sits on the tops next to your stem so not ideal for most folks.

I think this is the main reason the Fargo has never got alternators, if you want a hub-geared bike you (or 99% of the buying public anyway) better off with flat bars and therefore, an El Mar.
    You can get drop bar shifters for Shimano hubs.

EcoVelo Blog Archive Shimano IGH Shifters with Drop Bars

or bar end
    Jtek Bar-end Shifter

rohloff you'd have to use the hubbub, or you can see if the comotion shifter will be available:
    Interbike 2012: Co-Motion Shows Off Disc CX, Rohloff Drop Bar Shifter - Bike Rumor

there are other advantages to the altrerators - easy ss conversion with failure of derailer, conversion for winter ss / fixed gear use, etc.

never summer
    Just started running the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme HD 2.0's. My first ride was 60 mi which included 25 mi of gravel road. Felt a lot fast than the Race Kings, or Big Apple in all aspects. The narrower tire also felt better on the loose gravel and dirt as it cut thru better. Really stoked on them cause the Big Apples I had just felt sluggish to me.Think the Marathons are gonna work good for my style of rides.

Any thoughts on running these tubeless or just stick with tubes?

Fargo Ti + Moonlander + Necro Pug + Nature Boy

Harmonius Wrench

Rohloff Drop Bar Shifter

CoMotion showed this trick twist shifter for drop bars that they manufacture on their Divide drop bar rig at Interbike. They may sell it aftermarket, but I don't know for sure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Salsa Fargo Thread-p1050550.jpg  

The Salsa Fargo Thread-p1050548.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

New question here.

Anybody measured the outside circumference of the Race King 2.2's as mounted on the Fargo? I'm about to set up a cyclocumputer on mine, and figured a few of you have probably measured yours out already.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by SocratesDiedTrolling View Post
    Anybody measured the outside circumference of the Race King 2.2's as mounted on the Fargo? I'm about to set up a cyclocumputer on mine, and figured a few of you have probably measured yours out already.
    Do a roll out with your weight on the bike and tires at the pressure you run for best accuracy. Start on a sidewalk, valve down, make a magic marker mark. Sit on bike, roll until valve is down again, make a magic marker mark again. Measure between the two.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I spoke to the guys at the Rohloff Booth and they said CoMo was going to sell them aftermarket.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by singlefin View Post
    Just started running the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme HD 2.0's. My first ride was 60 mi which included 25 mi of gravel road. Felt a lot fast than the Race Kings, or Big Apple in all aspects. The narrower tire also felt better on the loose gravel and dirt as it cut thru better. Really stoked on them cause the Big Apples I had just felt sluggish to me.Think the Marathons are gonna work good for my style of rides.

I ran that same tire on my gen 1 fargo for a while, great tire.
    I have the 40c version on my vaya as well

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by satanas View Post
    Make sure you get the road BB7 calipers not the mountain ones as the cable travel from the road levers is different (think canti brake versus v brake), and so the mountain calipers wil not work.
    Great, good to know.

thinking sram drivetrain, stans wheels

Any thoughts on drop vs. mtb riser bars for this bike?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by beastwood9 View Post
    Great, good to know.

thinking sram drivetrain, stans wheels

Any thoughts on drop vs. mtb riser bars for this bike?
    In my opinion, the Woodchippers are the only way to experience the Fargo the way it was meant to be (at least at first), although I hear some people prefer the On One Midge or Bell Lap.

No opinion on flatbars on the fargo, haven't used them.

Edit: See page 88
    Last edited by mikhaelc; 10-04-2012 at 07:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mikhaelc View Post
    In my opinion, the Woodchippers are the only way to experience the Fargo the way it was meant to be (at least at first), although I hear some people prefer the On One Midge or Bell Lap.

I'll second this statement on the Woodchipper. That's actually part of what won me over to the Fargo; I test rode it, and it was my first time trying Woodchippers. I really liked them; I found them much more comfortable than other drop bars I had tried (e.g. the Salsa Cowbell on the Vaya). Obviously, I could have just gotten a Vaya and thrown a Woodchipper on it, but there were other things to like about the Fargo as well.

I have tried my Fargo out on some single track, and got made fun of for using drop bars by the hardcore MTB guys... but I found it worked very well. Like many others, I find the drops on a Woodchippered Fargo very comfortable for singletrack, and I think that was the way it was meant to be. So, I say, try it out and see how you like it before trying something else.

Harmonius Wrench

I never could get 100% comfy with Woodchippers. Tried em- not quite right for me.

I ended up going back full circle to Midge bars. They were designed by some pretty heavy hitters in the off road drop bar world and I have to say they are still right on for my riding. (Off road/gravel)

But for more road oriented stuff, I go straight for a Cowbell. That's the best Salsa drop bar, in my opinion. Maybe not so great off road, but I've seen guys use them that way too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Love the chippers on my Fargo. Have cowbell 2s on order for my randonneuring, dirt, sometimes lite touring rig.

I like the look of the on one bars, but I do like the position I've found on the chippers. For me having hoods for long road sections (dirt and paved) is critical. Not sure of that is possible with the on ones (or Wtb).

Strangelove
    Dec 2007
    Also consider the Ragley Luxy bar. It's a great bar that gives very good control on singletrack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    For me having hoods for long road sections (dirt and paved) is critical. Not sure of that is possible with the on ones (or Wtb).
    no idea about On One bars, but WTB Dirt Drops are great for road grinds. my urbancrossthing has Dirt Drops and it's pretty much road only, i spend most of my time on the hoods. i only hope they work on dirt! these and just about everything else pictured, save the crankset, will move to the Fargo whenever i get a frame.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

Home of the Gravedigger
    Quote Originally Posted by singlefin View Post

I've been running the Marathon Supremes Tubeless on Stans Flows for about 800 miles so far trouble free. I run them at 38 Psi and that feels like 60 with a tube. Go for it! I found the Marathons took about 3 scoops of Stans to seal up perfect.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    My wife and I rode downtown today on the American Tobacco Trail, a paved greenway. I took the Fargo, of course, and we brought home dinner on it (in it?) in my Otliebs. Got home this afternoon and did a couple projects.

1. Worked on the squealing front brake, which is noisier than heck. I sprayed the backs of the pads with the anti squeal compound you use on disc brake pads for cars, and redid the entire adjustment procedure. Cleaned everything with brake parts cleaner too. The squeal is gone, but, something new has gone wrong. The same brake doesn't stop as well as it used to. I didn't see any anti squeal stuff get on the friction surface of the pad, and was very careful. The brake parts cleaner shouldn't have compromised anything either. Can't figure out what's wrong yet.

2. Put on some fizik bar gel and some Lizard Skins thick bar tape. Feels great! A new problem, though, on the left side. When I brake hard, which is all the time now that the front brakes are working less well than they used to, the shift lever hangs up on the thick bar tape and stays there. Sigh. I guess it's always something. I'll play with the angle of the levers some tomorrow.

Still an absolute riot to ride and a great urban pack mule.

Strangelove
    Dec 2007
    Had another great day out on the remarkable Fargo. Some incredibly tough singletrack but it coped as well as anything else out on the ride. We also found a remote bothy that looks like a potential winter Fargo bike packing destination.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by krshultz View Post
    1. Worked on the squealing front brake, which is noisier than heck. I sprayed the backs of the pads with the anti squeal compound you use on disc brake pads for cars, and redid the entire adjustment procedure. Cleaned everything with brake parts cleaner too. The squeal is gone, but, something new has gone wrong. The same brake doesn't stop as well as it used to. I didn't see any anti squeal stuff get on the friction surface of the pad, and was very careful. The brake parts cleaner shouldn't have compromised anything either. Can't figure out what's wrong yet.

You may want to consider using some fine sandpaper on the rotor and pads, then cleaning them with rubbing alcohol. I wouldn't ever recommend putting chemicals on them. They don't really just wear through themselves like car brakes, because there's a lot less pressure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    You may want to consider using some fine sandpaper on the rotor and pads, then cleaning them with rubbing alcohol. I wouldn't ever recommend putting chemicals on them. They don't really just wear through themselves like car brakes, because there's a lot less pressure.
    Great point mkihaelc, you touched on exactly what I was thinking. I figured, what's the worst, the pads will just wear through whatever may have contaminated them. Thanks for bringing this up.

Of course, it could also be setup. As I always do, I have obsessed over this, and it seems like the "best" way to set up BB7s depends on what website I happen to find. The basics are all the same, but there are differences from one site to another regarding how to adjust the inner and outer pads. I'll be plying with this a little later today.

My Niner fork is on schedule to arrive Tueaday and get installed Thursday. Just in time for a weekend trip with the wife to the country west of here, where there is a promising, if underused, county park claiming eight miles of singletrack. Can't wait.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Thanks to my girls! by mbeganyi, on Flickr

Gift from my girls. Can't wait to use it on my next overnight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by krshultz View Post
    Great point mkihaelc, you touched on exactly what I was thinking. I figured, what's the worst, the pads will just wear through whatever may have contaminated them. Thanks for bringing this up.

Of course, it could also be setup. As I always do, I have obsessed over this, and it seems like the "best" way to set up BB7s depends on what website I happen to find. The basics are all the same, but there are differences from one site to another regarding how to adjust the inner and outer pads. I'll be plying with this a little later today.

My Niner fork is on schedule to arrive Tueaday and get installed Thursday. Just in time for a weekend trip with the wife to the country west of here, where there is a promising, if underused, county park claiming eight miles of singletrack. Can't wait.
    Enjoy the singletrack! I'm almost convinced proper BB7 tuning is a secret black magic, known by only a few.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post

Gift from my girls. Can't wait to use it on my next overnight.
    Nice Mike! How's the quality? I've been collecting materials to make my own, but have considered those. Very curious about the feel/stiffness/waterproofing of them.