Page 105 of 109 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109 LastLast
Results 5,201 to 5,250 of 5418
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    The Fargo really does seem to be happiest with larger tires (which is probably why Salsa's designers decided to produce the Deadwood). I ran some Nano 40s on mine for a while (for gravel/forest roads) and didn't like it much. Just felt too thin and I felt every little bump in the road.
    y'know, I did the same thing and had the exact same feeling. Even the 2.2 Nanos weren't all that impressive to me.

Quote Originally Posted by NDTransplant View Post
    After the OEM Schwalbe's wear out, I believe I'll go with Specialized Renegade Controls in 29 x 2.4. Plenty of grip for basic gravel road riding, not obnoxiously heavy, etc., etc.,..

If I don't buy a Deadwoood...

+1 on wider rims.
    wat? Renegades come in 2.4"?? I thought they were 2.3". I got a utthroat and put the 2.3s on a set of the Roval Control 29mm internal diameter wheels, and it was absolutely perfect, but I think 2.4" Renegades would be even perfecter.
    - 2012 Salsa Fargo
    - 2014 Stumpy FSR
    - 2015 Roubaix Carbon Disc
    - 2016 C-dale SuperX CX-1
    - 2016 Salsa Cutthroat

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    My bad on that! 29 x 2.3 is the max. I was mistaken.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by NDTransplant View Post
    My bad on that! 29 x 2.3 is the max. I was mistaken.
    haha...no worries on that my man.
    - 2012 Salsa Fargo
    - 2014 Stumpy FSR
    - 2016 Salsa Cutthroat

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisx View Post
    microSHIFT -The best control system
    SHIFTERS>BS-M11

BS-M11
    Compatibility Shimano 11 Speed MTB Shifters Compatible

One small problem. 2 hours ago, I bent my derailluer hanger all the way into the cogs. The largest cog grabed the pulley draged it up and around and bent the non replaceable hanger. bent it all the way to the smallest cog. I grabed the remains of the drailleur and bent it out enough to roll. Tomorrow I will try and straighten it. I will be amazed if it does not snap off. It bent 90 degrees. What is the fix for that? Internal geared hub?
    So this is an early model Fargo without alternator drop-outs or replaceable drop-outs. Internal gear hub still requires a way to tension the chain, which would typically be mounted there the derailleur is on vertical drop-out frames. There are a couple of options for tensioning the chain at the bottom bracket, such as a phil wood product.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by renegade44 View Post
    So this is an early model Fargo without alternator drop-outs or replaceable drop-outs. Internal gear hub still requires a way to tension the chain, which would typically be mounted there the derailleur is on vertical drop-out frames. There are a couple of options for tensioning the chain at the bottom bracket, such as a phil wood product.
    I was able to bend the hanger back without breaking it! I bought a m800 hub and derailluer back in 2009. I laced it to a arch rim and let it collect dust for 7 years. Shimano M800 has the derailleur attached to the axle. I was prepared. The guy from salsa broke his hanger in the 09 tour divide race. He had to get a new frame sent out mid race. After reading that, I bought an m800 to be ready, should that happen to me.

Sometimes I get a forbidden screen when I try to post on the fargo thread. I would not be surprised if it pops up when I hit the submit reply button. Sometimes it will not let me even look it the fargo thread until I log out. Does this happen to anyone else?

mtbr member
    Above post appeared
    11 minutes later I made another post that did not appear. I had to close mtbr because of the forbidden screen.
    common guys,whats up with that?

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /salsa/salsa-fargo-thread-467422-post12609770.html on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.15 (CentOS) Server at forums.mtbr.com Port 80

mtbr member

Drank the RivBike Koolaid...

The Salsa Fargo Thread-img_5982.jpg
    ... and installed a Wald basket. Also just added some 2.0 big apples. Turning my fargo into a poor man's Rivendell. Or middle class Riv. Whatever. Its a fun bike.

No one calls me Maurice.
    Above post appeared
    11 minutes later I made another post that did not appear. I had to close mtbr because of the forbidden screen.
    common guys,whats up with that?

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /salsa/salsa-fargo-thread-467422-post12609770.html on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.15 (CentOS) Server at forums.mtbr.com Port 80
    You're "semi-forbidden", only forbidden every once in a while. I've not seen that yet, I would guess it's a server error, not related to your account, but I'm not an admin or an IT person so it's a guess at best.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by backcountryeti View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5982.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	276.9 KB 
ID:	1068659
    ... and installed a Wald basket. Also just added some 2.0 big apples. Turning my fargo into a poor man's Rivendell. Or middle class Riv. Whatever. Its a fun bike.
    What are Rivendell bikes all about, and why are you turning your Fargo into one? I googled and found this image of a beautiful bike, but I'm fuzzy on what they're all about, like their niche or whatever. Are they Porteur bikes? I'm not sure what that means either though. Are they just sought after because they look classy with lugged steel frames? Ride quality? So expensive.

Soma, Surly, Salsa, Schwalbe, SRAM, Sun-Ringlé

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    My Gen1 Fargo has been put into full-on commuter/haul stuff/townie mode.
    -Big Wald Basket with custom double-sided strut mounting to keep the basket below the bars and weight low.
    -Basket is lined with $15 Army Surplus bag with heavy duty straps for securing large items above the bag & rack.
    -Velo Orange 60mm fenders
    -Original Epic Designs (pre-Revelate) custom frame bag
    -Rear bar-end shifter modified for extra dynasis cable pull with dremel.
    -Flat Pedals!
    -Front and Rear Dynamo lighting
    -Just got Soma Shikoro brown tires to further the camo green, black, brown color scheme.

New Bag Rain Testing - Day 245 by jon_baler, on Flickr

Banneker - Day 307 by jon_baler, on Flickr

WP_20151022_006.jpg by jon_baler, on Flickr

Beer Club - Day 100 by jon_baler, on Flickr

mtbr member
    What did you guys decide was the best bar tape?
    Best = most comfortable.

edit;
    wow, just posted without a forbidden screen. Maybe bar tape is important.

No one calls me Maurice.
    I still use Salsa tape (doubled in some areas). It's tough enough to pull really tight, it holds up well and I've got the brown Fargo so the tape has to stay orange (seems to fit best).
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Lizard skins makes some good tape. Con is it doesn't stretch well. Left it on as a base layer after it began to wear. Trying out some bontager gel cork as second layer (big hands and need the added circumference- cush is nice too)

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm + curious and wonder if anyone had tried a 29+ tire on firestarter fork. I know 27.5+ works from Guitar Ted's posting.

Proper Gnomenclature
    What did you guys decide was the best bar tape?
    Best = most comfortable.
    I've been using a double wrap for the last year - Salsa cork tape, with a wrap of Lizardskins over it. Really comfortable without feeling mushy. Lizardskins is a very durable tape that stands up well to weather.
    Advocate Hayduke
    Surly ECR
    Salsa Blackborow
    Salsa Fargo

Proper Gnomenclature
    Had some fine Fargo riding in MT this past weekend:

Advocate Hayduke
    Surly ECR
    Salsa Blackborow
    Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Very nice! Thanks for sharing - allows for vicarious adventuring from afar. So what do u think of those junebugs? Have u had any time on singletrack with them?

mtbr member
    There was mention of silicon bar tape in pages gone by. Some said it was comfortable, but slippery when wet, or something. Anybody want to report back on that after a few thousand miles? Could be less slippery after it gets scuffesd up?

second layer? Maybe?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    In search of size small (16") Fargo. Ti or otherwise. Frame set or otherwise.

Thanks!

Proper Gnomenclature
    Quote Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
    So what do u think of those junebugs? Have u had any time on singletrack with them?
    I've got a few hundred gravel miles and some singletrack time on them as well and I really like the Junebug. The shallower drop and less exaggerated sweep than the Woodchipper works better for me. I also found it much easier to set up the brifters for a usable position from both the drops and the ramps.
    Advocate Hayduke
    Surly ECR
    Salsa Blackborow
    Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    ^ hooray! Glad to hear they're working for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Very Cool. I am heading out that way for a family camping trip in June, Was thinking about bringing my mtb maybe the Fargo would be a better option.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I've got a few hundred gravel miles and some singletrack time on them as well and I really like the Junebug. The shallower drop and less exaggerated sweep than the Woodchipper works better for me. I also found it much easier to set up the brifters for a usable position from both the drops and the ramps.
    Great, and thanks for the report. I may have to give em a try.

mtbr member
    NOW, i'm in the clique!!!

i've finally ridden my "brand new" 2014 Fargo!!! it was built up in the first week of april but i'm only now finding time to ride. i have less than 20 miles on it, but so far, so good. i was grinning like the village idiot out there today.

The Salsa Fargo Thread-img_2983.jpg.jpg

The Salsa Fargo Thread-img_2987.jpg.jpg

it's a small 2014 frame with a Manitou Tower fork; i do have the steel fork leaning against the wall. i bought the frame 2.5 years ago, but around that time, Shimano released Ultegra Di2 with hydro/mech brifters. i knew i would want hydraulic brakes, so i decided to wait for the trickle down before building. two years later, i started collecting parts.

RS685 brifters and brakes, 180f/160r
    XT front mech, Ultegra rear mech
    sram GX1400 crankset, 36/24
    105(?) cassette, 12-32
    Dajia ergo bar, Ritchey 30* stem
    Easton Haven post, WTB Pure V saddle
    Velocity Blunt 35, Hope Pro4, DT swiss spokes
    Conti RaceKing 2.2

my only concern with the build was the low gear, i do use the 22t 'ring on my fully, and that bike is probably 5# lighter with a 650b wheelset. we shall see if the 24t granny becomes an issue; there were no long climbs today.

todays ride was three commutes, home to work location A, to location B, back home. streets ==> streets/singletrack ==> streets. i was impressed with how smooth it was during the street portions; the drivetrain, the tires, the ride... but on the singletrack, that's when i was a little giddy! this bike is more nimble than i anticipated. doing the dirt on dropbars feels so wrong, it has to be right! i liked changing from drops/hooks to hoods, depending upon the grade. i also liked having the drops during the pavement slog to the dirt as opposed to being limited to one position on flatbars.

i still have to dial in the cockpit... maybe a longer stem... thicker bar tape... but clearly this bike is going to be a lot of fun, and i haven't even begun to figure out bikepacking....
    Last edited by kevrider; 05-12-2016 at 11:30 AM.
    In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    ^very nice Fargo. Love the look with the white bits. Is that the largest cassette you can have with that derailleur? Seems like a 11-36 would take care of your gears. BTW you have one heck of a light weight FS bike!

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Pretty cool. What part of MT is that?

mtbr member
    ^very nice Fargo. Love the look with the white bits. Is that the largest cassette you can have with that derailleur? Seems like a 11-36 would take care of your gears.
    thanks, mate! yes, choice of cassette governed by RD governed by brifters. might be possible to jury rig the RD to work with a larger cassette, but i thought i should try the spec'd part first.

BTW you have one heck of a light weight FS bike!
    i did not go weight-weenie with the Fargo, obviously with the rims. it feels like 30+ lbs when i carry it upstairs. feels lighter from the saddle, maybe because of the short wheelbase. the FS is ~26.5.

22 fargomiles yesterday, about 12 paved, 6-7 gravel road, 5-6 single track. great ride, great bike!
    In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

Proper Gnomenclature
    Quote Originally Posted by ACosta View Post
    Pretty cool. What part of MT is that?
    Paradise Valley, just north of Jellystone.
    Advocate Hayduke
    Surly ECR
    Salsa Blackborow
    Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gritter View Post
    What are Rivendell bikes all about, and why are you turning your Fargo into one? I googled and found this image of a beautiful bike, but I'm fuzzy on what they're all about, like their niche or whatever. Are they Porteur bikes? I'm not sure what that means either though. Are they just sought after because they look classy with lugged steel frames? Ride quality? So expensive.
    Check out their website to see what they are about. I will say upfront, their whole mantra is not for everyone. But, they are all about practical bikes, useful bikes, that are also pretty. If nothing else, their blog is a good read. As are their founder's books, "Just Ride" and "Eat Bacon Don't Jog."

Latest look:
    The Salsa Fargo Thread-img_6028.jpg

Proper Gnomenclature
    Decided that for some trips, esp. where I'm just riding dirt roads, I'd like to have a good rear rack and some mini-panniers to expand my capacity. However, the rack needed to be solid enough for abuse on washboards, and I wanted to keep the panniers trim and small, with rock-solid attachment. Ended up going with a Blackburn 'Central' rack (which installed very easily on the Fargo using the upper rack mounts and clamps on the seastays) and the Rogue Panda "Kaibab" mini-panniers.

The rack is rock solid, of course you never really know until you've put a thousand miles on one. But it sure seems like it's built for the long haul. The panniers are awesome - at 10L each, they are just the size and simplicity I was looking for, with the excellent quality I've come to expect from Rogue Panda.

I'll be putting this combo to use soon.

Last edited by Smithhammer; 05-21-2016 at 07:51 AM.
    Advocate Hayduke
    Surly ECR
    Salsa Blackborow
    Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    For those of us who love doing singletrack on the Fargo (and wonder why it works so well), I would recommend checking out Jeff Jones talking about his new Jones Plus bike design:

Jones Bikes ? Jones Plus ? This is it.

Longer chainstays, shorter reach and lower BB drop than a typical MTB geometry (plus a rigid fork). He actually has a lower BB than the Fargo's 70mm:
    Jones Plus BB drop: EBB in top position – 76mm drop, EBB in bottom position – 88mm drop.

Great video with Jeff's design philosophy (while you watch him do a build):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytCndGtdZpg

This has caused me to want to try running a Jones Loop 710 bar on my Fargo (but with a 130mm stem).

I am 6'-4" (with a long upper/ body torso). *On the XL 2015 Fargo, I run a 120mm 0 deg. stem with the Woodchipper bars; as well as a setback Thomson seatpost (and it feels really short for me). *I think that the combo of the tall stack on the bike and the 60cm ETT make it feel short. *I keep wishing that I can sit further back on the seat (which is as far back as it goes) when riding in the hoods on the Woodchipper).

I know that with MTB's and wide bars, the wider you hands are on the bars the shorter your stem should be; so I am hoping that when I test out the Jones loop 710 bars with a 130mm Thomson stem that allows me to have a similar ride position as Jeff Jones describes for his Jones Plus.

From Jeff's blog:"The Jones Plus 24″ has less reach than a small Surly ECR (398mm) and the 25″ has less reach then the medium (416mm)."

The Jones Plus 25" has a 415cm reach + 110mm stem = 525mm
    The Salsa Fargo has a 391mm reach = 130mm stem = 521mm

ECR | Bikes | Surly Bikes
    FARGO X9 | Bikes | Salsa Cycles
    Jones Plus | 29+ | Complete bicycle

I am really surprised at the short reach on the XL Fargo (391mm reach). For a tall guy, this feels really short when you set this up as a cyclocross/ gravel grinder bike with drop bars. I didn't really understand "reach" until after I bought the Fargo.

The Fargo seems most comfortable doing singletrack trails (for me). I thought that it was just because, I am old (mid-40's); and more closely resembled the rigid steel mountain bikes that I rode during college in the early 1990's. But after watching and reading Jeff Jones talk about the Jones Plus the Fargo geometry makes more sense. I still wish that it had more reach though!

My solution is to make the Fargo a dedicated MTB with Jones Loop bars; and then build up a 60 cm Soma Wolverine (with 403mm reach) for my drop bar, gravel grinding setup.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Salsa Fargo Thread-salsa-fargo.jpg  

The Salsa Fargo Thread-jonesplus_blog2_studio4_25sideslicks.jpg  

Last edited by Erik_A; 05-23-2016 at 11:28 AM.

Proper Gnomenclature
    One of these days, I really want to try a Jones Plus. There are so many things I dig about them (at least in theory), but I need to really throw a leg over one and try it out before I could take the plunge.

I ran Jones bars on my fattie for a while. For bikepacking and mild/moderate terrain, I liked them, but I found the sweep to be too much for more technical terrain, at least for my preferences. Jeff obviously makes it work quite well.

That said, I actually have a lot of fun riding singletrack on my Fargo, with drop bars. But it's critical to set the bars up for that kind of riding. Put the bars too low (as they might be on a cross/gravel grinder bike) and it's not a lot of fun.
    Advocate Hayduke
    Surly ECR
    Salsa Blackborow
    Salsa Fargo

mtbr member

Stem for jones bar

Did you get a shorter stem when you switched to Jones bars. What about a higher stem? What about knockoff Jones bars, who makes them?

mtbr member
    Searching for new tires the widest I can find for a 2009 v1 Fargo are Maxxis Ardent 29 x 2.4. Any other choices for a v1 Fargo? Note; the v1 has just a little less clearance then the newer v2 or v3.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    No, you need a longer stem because of the sweep. Titec makes an $80 J-bar; but nothing else has the loop.

Did you get a shorter stem when you switched to Jones bars. What about a higher stem? What about knockoff Jones bars, who makes them?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Hope

Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Popped into my head about 10 years ago when a guy I work with was whining about his $350+ hybrid (purchased because he was pre-diabetic and pre-hypertension). About a month earlier he was yammering about how he was about to become disabled due to his health. I'd heard that same story for 5 years so finally I tell him "Geez, either get sicker and go on disability or get fit and stay here, either way shut the hell up about it." I followed with an offer to help him by riding with him. The first year he worked up to almost riding to work and almost riding home (it was 10 miles each way and he took a year to get to 7 miles twice a day). By the end of the second year he was riding a Trek road bike and routinely cranking out 40 mile days (funny what losing 65 pounds will do). Two years later he shows up with a Madone 5.0, now wearing more money in Kit than his first bike cost. Funny what a little non-enabling can accomplish.
    Best post I have read on 20 pages of the Fargo forum today :-)

mtbr member
    Yes designed to be run with a short stem.

Kiwi Pete from the Singletrack

No one calls me Maurice.
    Quote Originally Posted by handsomened View Post
    Best post I have read on 20 pages of the Fargo forum today :-)
    Thanks. Still see that guy from time to time, he's still a better cyclist than I am and I'm still jealous that he's physically able to do things in his 50s I couldn't have done in my 40s.

Proper Gnomenclature
    A great 40-mile ride with 1900' of gain on the Fargo yesterday, from my front door. Explored some new trails in the Big Holes that I'd been curious about. Once again, from pavement to gravel to rough jeep trail to singletrack, the Fargo eats it all up.

Advocate Hayduke
    Surly ECR
    Salsa Blackborow
    Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Building up a first generation Fargo and having an odd issue with the TRP Spyre brakes. Using XT rotors and the rotors rub on the tops on the calliper. If I move the calliper out ~ 2mm all is good.

I notice in a lot of pictures people use BB7s with the fargo and they all have those double washers that pivot between the calliper and the frame - is this what is required?

Thanks.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Those washers are standard with Avid brakes but are not used with Tektros, or most other manufacturers actually.

You may be experience some slight manufacturing variance or incompatibility between parts. Putting small washers between the caliper and adapter shouldn't hurt anything but you could try a few different adapters from different companies to see if they fit better. Maguras tend to be on the tall side iirc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I am thinking of replacing my woodchippers and noticed that origin 8 shows an ergo gary sweep OS on their site, wondering if anyone has tried them or could compare to the normal gary sweep os?

My goals are a bit more comfort (shock absorption) and hopefully a little wider across the tops as i use a bar bag that is limited in width by the bars

I have been able to set up the woodchoppers so i can use hoods and drops while braking but they could be improved on.
    Looks like the ergo version extensions could be more usable (and effectively wider as the long parts of my wood chipper extensions rarely get used

Not really fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomin View Post
    Building up a first generation Fargo and having an odd issue with the TRP Spyre brakes. Using XT rotors and the rotors rub on the tops on the calliper. If I move the calliper out ~ 2mm all is good.

I notice in a lot of pictures people use BB7s with the fargo and they all have those double washers that pivot between the calliper and the frame - is this what is required?

Thanks.
    I just had to space out a set of Spyre's about 3mm on a bike with SLX rotors, no harm no foul, everything works great now.

Proper Gnomenclature

A few upgrades on the Fargo checklist:

- Rewrap bars for a little more cush in the drops. √

- Swap up the 160mm front rotor for a 180. √

- Wolftooth 40T cog (still to come)
    Advocate Hayduke
    Surly ECR
    Salsa Blackborow
    Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    7 Fargos (3Ti, 4 steel), 6 Cutthroats, and 3 Mariachis.

that's 16 of 50 bikes that are all basically cut from a similar mold.
    Last edited by sgtrobo; 06-08-2016 at 09:23 AM.
    - 2012 Salsa Fargo
    - 2014 Stumpy FSR
    - 2016 Salsa Cutthroat

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtrobo View Post
    7 Fargos (43Ti, 4 steel), 6 Cutthroats, and 3 Mariachis.

that's 16 of 50 bikes that are all basically cut from a similar mold.
    You mean 3 Ti?
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by threepin View Post
    I am thinking of replacing my woodchippers and noticed that origin 8 shows an ergo gary sweep OS on their site, wondering if anyone has tried them or could compare to the normal gary sweep os?

My goals are a bit more comfort (shock absorption) and hopefully a little wider across the tops as i use a bar bag that is limited in width by the bars

I have been able to set up the woodchoppers so i can use hoods and drops while braking but they could be improved on.
    Looks like the ergo version extensions could be more usable (and effectively wider as the long parts of my wood chipper extensions rarely get used
    The Ergo Gary Sweep OS is a bar that has a million other names: genetic digest, satori boondocks, koga beachcruiser, and veloorange has them as the daija far. Some info here: Budget dirt drop bars

I've got a normal Gary Sweep OS, and love it. It's a little tough to measure spacing, but with my setup the width at the very narrowest point of the hoods (at the top) is 14.5", vs 14" with my 44cm woodchipper. And at the bottom of the levers it's 21" vs 19" for the woodchipper. I switched to it from the woodchipper and think it's a million times more comfortable.