Page 100 of 108 FirstFirst ... 50 90 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 ... LastLast
Results 4,951 to 5,000 of 5359
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by N10S View Post
    When I bought my Fargo it came with a zero rise 90mm stem and I ended-up purchasing a new 10 degree 110mm stem which was probably just a little longer than I needed. The good news is that the longer stem works better with the new Jones bar than it did with the Woodchipper.

I wanted to test the new bars on the trail to see how they would perform off the beaten path, and I have to say the bar seems like it was designed for this bikes geometry. I have seen pics of a Jones frame overlaid on a Fargo frame and they looked almost identical in geometry so perhaps there is something to that?

I was skeptical in making the change to the Jones bar as I love riding off road on drop bars. I was pleasantly surprised with the improved handling performance that the Jones bar provided though, and felt that the bar allowed me to navigate tight trails at faster speeds and seemed to improve turn-in and agility. During one rough uphill section riddled with roots and rocks, I got off line at one point and the added leverage of the Jones bar allowed me to make the save and I am pretty sure I would have been in trouble with the Woodchipper.

Overall I am much happier with this set-up than with the WTB Woodchipper bar which I have never really cared for.
    Thanks for posting this. I really like my Woodchippers, but I'm on the fence about switching out to the Jones bar. Good to hear some real world experience.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by londonfargo View Post

Ti Fargo, sp dynamo, spyre brakes, rival shifters, sks blumel fenders, velocity blunt 35 rims, super motos, supernova lights front and back Bontrager rack, also stick the exactly the same rack on the front some times if i need more carry capacity, works well.

you can do all of this on alternator dropouts as well.
    How is your tire clearance with the Supermotos on Blunt 35's? Have you mounted any knobbies on the Blunts? Just wondering how a wider rim would affect clearance, if at all when using 2.3 tires, which I believe are the max recommended. Nice bike, btw...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    i've used super motos on blunt 35s and currently have a set of nobby nicks 2.35 on there and there is plenty of clearance on my 2014 fargo

mtbr member
    Thanks, sjstewart. I'm having wheels built and experiencing some serious analysis-paralysis.

Dude Abiding
    Eriksen Ti 'Sweetpost.' Kent truly does gorgeous work.

Advocate Hayduke
    Salsa Blackborow
    Salsa Fargo

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    Eriksen Ti 'Sweetpost.' Kent truly does gorgeous work.
    Without a doubt the Sweetspot is one of the best things I have ever bought for my bike.

Dude Abiding
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    Without a doubt the Sweetspot is one of the best things I have ever bought for my bike.
    The only problem is, I want them on all my bikes now. My pocketbook was a little relieved to find out he doesn't make one in 31.6mm for my fattie.
    Advocate Hayduke
    Salsa Blackborow
    Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Best seat post available. I recently switched to a different Ti seat post and you can immediately feel the (negative) difference in comfort.

mtbr member
    Has anyone tried to fit Big O Manufacturing fenders on a Fargo?

They are made to fit a 29 x 3" tire for the ECR and Krampus. All of the parts can be ordered individually and custom cut to fit. They look more stout than the Planet bike fenders that rattle on hard bumps. Plus, you could fit any tire you want. (within reason)

Please post up if anyone has experience with this set up. Thanks.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by markwienands View Post
    I just got back from my 11 days Fargo 2 torture test trip in the himalayas,...
    Mark, thanks for sharing, those photos are inspiring. looks like an amazing trip.
    In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by markwienands View Post
    Wow, thank you all for showing such interests. I don't have a blog, nor my own website. Never thought of doing one until recently, so I might actually give it a shot. For now, I've only uploaded the album on flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/markwi...57661558910481

I think it's really worth noting how cheap the trip was as well.
    Total expense for 14 days while in Nepal, including meals, hotel in Kathmandu, accommodation on the trek, trekking permits, maps, snacks, bus rides, 2 X Airfare tickets out of the Annapurna region back to the capital of Kathmandu:
    About $670 USD.

I won't go too much detail in here. I'm going keep it about the Fargos.
    Just PM me if anyone is interested about this route.

Happy adventuring Fargo owners!
    Wow! thanks for that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I've had good luck commuting on the Schwalbe Big Apple tires. They offer a fair amount of cushion and roll well. Can't comment on the front rack - I use handlebar mount bag in front and for rear I use the Salsa rack with the Ortileb bags.
    "Nothing is free."

Fargo Ti / Mukluk Ti fatbike / Foundry Cross / Colnago Master / Cannondale Tandem

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I'd like to put a carbon fork on my gen 1 fargo. Can't seem to find anything out there even close to matching the specs. 442mm axle to crown, 55mm offset, 1 1/8" steerer. Checked out ritchey, enve, niner, whiskey. Any thoughts or suggestions? Hate to drop cash on something that is the more "standard" 470mm and 45mm offset just to try it out. How differently will it feel and handle with those changes? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Noslonlo View Post
    I'd like to put a carbon fork on my gen 1 fargo. Can't seem to find anything out there even close to matching the specs. 442mm axle to crown, 55mm offset, 1 1/8" steerer. Checked out ritchey, enve, niner, whiskey. Any thoughts or suggestions? Hate to drop cash on something that is the more "standard" 470mm and 45mm offset just to try it out. How differently will it feel and handle with those changes? Thanks.
    White Brothers. I'm not sure exactly what they offer but it's worth a check.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The Salsa Fargo Thread-img_20141226_142856.jpg
    Have you considered a Ti fork? You can get one to your specification from TiCycles in Portland. The cost is comparable to CF, and they are bomb proof.

mtbr member
    Hi do you know that most 26" forks are around 445mm long and will work.

Kiwi Pete from the road

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by NZPeterG View Post
    Hi do you know that most 26" forks are around 445mm long and will work.

Kiwi Pete from the road
    But are they 51 or 55mm offset?

That's the other thing about Gen 1 Fargos, they had very long offset forks. Most 26" offerings are not nearly that long in offset.

And that affects your trail figure, which will have a noticeable affect on handling. One might like that, but if you want to preserve your original Fargo's handling, you don't want to put a fork on with shorter offset.

The other side effect of short offset is a propensity for more toe overlap, and a front fork that may feel like it wants to fold under you on tighter corners.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    But are they 51 or 55mm offset?

That's the other thing about Gen 1 Fargos, they had very long offset forks. Most 26" offerings are not nearly that long in offset.

And that affects your trail figure, which will have a noticeable affect on handling. One might like that, but if you want to preserve your original Fargo's handling, you don't want to put a fork on with shorter offset.

The other side effect of short offset is a propensity for more toe overlap, and a front fork that may feel like it wants to fold under you on tighter corners.
    Cool
    Why change the forks anyway?

Salsa make great forks

Kiwi Pete from the road

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NZPeterG View Post
    Cool
    Why change the forks anyway?

Salsa make great forks

Kiwi Pete from the road

Absolutely, except for the ones they have recalled.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    27.5+ / 650b+ tires.
    I've read guitar Ted's thoughts on running mid fat tires on a fargo. Anybody else using big rubber on their fargo, any good or bad thoughts.
    http://g-tedproductions.blogspot.com...=Fargo+mid+fat

mtbr member

Listen!

On One has a 26 inch, 50 mm rake, 450 mm fork. Investigate and report back
    MKM 35 Rigid Carbon MTB Fork | On - One
    I would bet your $$s that a big tire fits in there-

Any one no of a fork that takes a 135mm rear hub, and is about the size of a gen 1 fargo fork?

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisx View Post
    On One has a 26 inch, 50 mm rake, 450 mm fork. Investigate and report back
    MKM 35 Rigid Carbon MTB Fork | On - One
    I would bet your $$s that a big tire fits in there-

Any one no of a fork that takes a 135mm rear hub, and is about the size of a gen 1 fargo fork?
    And from Planet-X the USA distributor.
    MKM 35 Rigid Carbon MTB Fork | Planet X
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Did a cockpit upgrade to the Fargo a few days ago. Well I like it anyways.

Tried to get along with the Woodchippers, but never got completely comfortable with them.

OnOne Mary bars
    Ergon GC-1 BioKork grips
    Avid SpeedDial 7 brake levers with the original BB7 roads
    SRAM X9 trigger shifters
    Some very basic model of the Profile Designs aero bars I had laying around.

I also swapped out the carbon fork for a Reba RL I purchased off of eBay. Sure is a lot smoother up front, albeit at a little weight penalty.

Dude Abiding
    That looks like a pretty versatile cockpit. ^

It's been the better part of a year of getting to know my Fargo on everything from rough roads to gravel races to multi-day dirt trips, and swapping various things in and out to see how I liked them, but I think I've finally got it where I want it. Pretty much anything else that gets changed at this point is going to be because it has worn out:

Advocate Hayduke
    Salsa Blackborow
    Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    love that build, that looks awesome!
    - 2012 Salsa Fargo
    - 2014 Stumpy FSR
    - 2015 Roubaix Carbon Disc
    - 2016 C-dale SuperX CX-1
    - 2016 Salsa Cutthroat

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Lefty Fargo Ti

Thought I would post a couple of pics of my lefty Fargo Ti. Salsa needs to know how much I love this bike. First post for me....sorry about wonky formatting.
    The Salsa Fargo Thread-image.jpgThe Salsa Fargo Thread-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Ride on the Fargo yesterday...

The Salsa Fargo Thread-fargo.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cackalacky View Post
    How is your tire clearance with the Supermotos on Blunt 35's? Have you mounted any knobbies on the Blunts? Just wondering how a wider rim would affect clearance, if at all when using 2.3 tires, which I believe are the max recommended. Nice bike, btw...

Is that 29'er or 27.5? nice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Some Owens Valley gravel with a backdrop of the Eastern Sierra

The Salsa Fargo Thread-fargo-3.jpg

mtbr member

Dynamo!

My Fargo got a new wheelset over the holidays. WTB Asym i29 rims, DT Swiss 350 rear hub, and an Alfine dynamo hub. Will be ordering a dynamo light soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Salsa Fargo Thread-wheels1.jpg  

The Salsa Fargo Thread-wheels2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    anyone riding their fargo 1x?
    i was thinking ab going 1x10, just wondering if i'll any major problems like limited chain ring size or something.

mtbr member

The Salsa Fargo Thread

I do, usint 34t ring with plenty of clearance and I think a 36t will still work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fargo 3.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	1042686
    Awesome...

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

1x problems

I just switched to SRAM 1x11. It is amazing, but had so many issues along the way. You can fit up to 36, which is about as large as you would want for off-road anyways.

mtbr member
    Care to share the issues you encountered?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    i wanted to go 38t up front w a 42t in the back. so no chance of squeezing that in?
    i'd love to hear about yr problems too haha

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sjstewart View Post
    i wanted to go 38t up front w a 42t in the back. so no chance of squeezing that in?
    Maybe? I have a gen 1 Fargo. The 42t chainring was nowhere close to fitting. The 36t has a fair amount of room, but how close do you really want to come to hitting your chain stays? Also my mechanic mentioned that this was really about as big as you could get with a standard length chain. Any bigger and you might need to buy a 2nd chain and add a few links.

Speaking of which, the standard road cranks were too narrow, and would overlap with the chain stays. I had to use a wider X0 crankset to make that work. Then the spider and appropriate chainrings were not available, so the mechanic ended up grinding a few mm of aluminum off an available spider to get the chainring to fit.

A surprise along the way was that the 10-42 requires an XD driver, so won't fit on standard hubs. This was solvable, but did require me to purchase anther bunch of money in parts and limit hub choices.

All in all, the project ended taking about a month, instead of a week, but I still think it was well worth it. I just try not to do the mental math for how much I spent all in all.

The Salsa Fargo Thread-2016-01-18-08.21.44.jpg
    The Salsa Fargo Thread-2016-01-18-11.15.24.jpg

They see me rolling.
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sjstewart View Post
    anyone riding their fargo 1x?
    i was thinking ab going 1x10, just wondering if i'll any major problems like limited chain ring size or something.
    It may depend on the model year of your Fargo, at least if you have one with alternator dropouts. According to Salsa's website, 2014 and 2015 model year Fargos had a max single chainring size of 36 teeth, while the 2016 model year bikes the max single chainring size is listed as 32 teeth. Not sure why it was changed as I did not think the frames were changed at all, but maybe they were. Max chainring sizes for 1x setups were not listed for their Fargos 2013 and prior, but you can probably use at least a 36, as someone else above stated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    ah. it's a 2015 fargo. maybe im being a little overzealous, 36t might be fine...
    i'm just planning to go 1x10 so hopefully i won't have any freehub issues.
    i want to go 1x for i can use my left lever for my dropper post and save some weight haha.

lentamentalisk, do you find you're topping out on downhills? sounds like you had a great time getting everything set up.

thanks for all the info y'all

just to keep some pictures in the mix, here are photos from my last ride before the snow. now im in a different country and i miss my bike!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    wife has new 2016 Fargo x9, with the carbon firestarter fork. What's the best way to get a set of fenders on that sucker? I'm not seeing any fender mounts for that front fork.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Salsa Fargo Thread-12491902_10153314424477966_4959051975972938184_o.jpg  

- 2012 Salsa Fargo
    - 2014 Stumpy FSR
    - 2015 Roubaix Carbon Disc
    - 2016 C-dale SuperX CX-1
    - 2016 Salsa Cutthroat

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MJS95 View Post
    It may depend on the model year of your Fargo, at least if you have one with alternator dropouts. According to Salsa's website, 2014 and 2015 model year Fargos had a max single chainring size of 36 teeth, while the 2016 model year bikes the max single chainring size is listed as 32 teeth. Not sure why it was changed as I did not think the frames were changed at all, but maybe they were. Max chainring sizes for 1x setups were not listed for their Fargos 2013 and prior, but you can probably use at least a 36, as someone else above stated.

i was just thinking about this. if i'm using the OG crank, sram s1000, that comes stocked with a 42t ring, should i not be able to fit at least up to a 42t single ring?
    maybe i'm missing something here, like width of the chainring or something?

edit: i sent an email. they're quick on the draw.

The Salsa Fargo Thread-screen-shot-2016-01-21-7.27.04-pm.png

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Firestarter fende

I succeeded in mounting fenders on a firestarter fork. I can't get at it right now but will post up some pics over the weekend. Pm me if I forget
    Harry

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtrobo View Post
    wife has new 2016 Fargo x9, with the carbon firestarter fork. What's the best way to get a set of fenders on that sucker? I'm not seeing any fender mounts for that front fork.
    Mudhugger?

mtbr member
    Here's mine with Jones bars. I'm not enamored of the handling with Super Motos so far. Any suggestions for a supple but wide tire?The Salsa Fargo Thread-img_20160123_105748_664.jpg

Ryan

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtrobo View Post
    Sorry, there´s no easy way. This is how i sorted the problem.
    The Salsa Fargo Thread-2015-11-15-16.23.16.jpgThe Salsa Fargo Thread-2015-11-15-16.23.33.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice work! What tires are those by the way? And size please?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    Nice work! What tires are those by the way? And size please?

Marathon Winter - Schwalbe Professional Bike Tires and they are 35 or 40 mm. Can´t remember Sorry! Those fenders should take 2" easily.

mtbr member
    Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rcnute View Post
    Here's mine with Jones bars. I'm not enamored of the handling with Super Motos so far. Any suggestions for a supple but wide tire?

Ryan
    I didn't care that much for the super motos at first either. Then I lowered the pressure per a review in bicycle quarterly and now I like them a lot. (I was going to go back to my beloved serfas drifters.) Initially I felt like they were squirm-my over bumps and roots but after lowering the pressure, they still roll well and are very comfortable. At ~215lbs, my pressures are in the 40 - 50lb range.

I had them out on mud a couple of weeks ago - thick 2-3in deep georgia clay. They did ok due to the flotation when I maintained momentum, but I did eat it once at very low speed when I spun the rear tire (no traction) and the front low sided.

Mike
    Last edited by mgreene888; 01-25-2016 at 05:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rcnute View Post
    Here's mine with Jones bars. I'm not enamored of the handling with Super Motos so far. Any suggestions for a supple but wide tire?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160123_105748_664.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	1045231

Ryan
    i run mine at like 25 psi (im 145 lbs) and find i can pretty much ride anything unless its suuuper mucky.
    check out maxxis grifters though, it's a 29 x 2.5 tire. idk how supple they are at 60 TPI, but they're not super knobby and v wide.
    Grifter | Maxxis Tires USA

mgreene, any chance you'd scan that review, im super curious as to what they said
    Last edited by sjstewart; 01-25-2016 at 07:51 AM.

Page 100 of 108 FirstFirst ... 50 90 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 ... LastLast