Page 10 of 177 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 60 110 ... LastLast
    fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpincher
    Hello Fargonauts.

Finally received my frame from the shop. The SS couplers are now installed. The shop did a heroic job of matching the Fargo color...now what was that color called again?? Glad I wasn't there to see them cut the frame in half to install the couplers. I'll get you pictures of the bike as soon as I finish the build, I'm stuck trying to install the fenders, mirror, speedometer, and handlebar bag. Tomorrow, I will be taking the bike out for a short weekend camping tour. Have a 150 mile route planned and will have the bike fully loaded. I will say this bike rides very nice, I'm just "wow happy" with the feel of the bike. I've owned 5 touring bikes, this bike has a relaxed feel about it that none of the other bikes have/had. Now I'm glad I spent extra money on the components becuase this is MY touring bike. It looks like I'll be selling my LHT.
    adding a eccentric style BB would have surely been a better option??

you just made baby cheeses cry!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ilostmypassword
    adding a eccentric style BB would have surely been a better option??
    How would an EBB help you break the bike down in half for travel?

I like the term "Fargonauts"

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXSS
    How would an EBB help you break the bike down in half for travel?

I like the term "Fargonauts"
    indeed

Harmonius Wrench
    Plus 1. I am co-opting this nic-name for my future references to Fargo riders. Perfection!

indeed

Harmonius Wrench
    In fact........

I just realized after hitting submit on my last post that Salsa's head honch is Jason Boucher, so.....

We all could consider ourselves as part of "Jason and The Fargonauts"

Sorry! I couldn't resist!

mtbr member
    Ees nice to be talking wich choo, how you say... "Fargonauts".... but me... in my land I am known simply as... "Fargo-nista"....

Seriously, next weekend I will be riding as a Fargonista in the Mutant Century, a 100-mile (mostly offroad) endurance ride from High Point, NJ (elevation 1803 ft...wow!) to my home in Belle Mead (Princeton area, elevation 98 ft). This is the first MC of its kind, and I hope to attract at least a dozen valiant riders. I suspect I will be the only Fargonista, but others will be riding bikes ranging from full-suspension mountain bikes (YIKES, better lock out those shocks) to cyclo-cross (OUCH that's hard-core) to 80s-era rigid mountain bikes with fat slicks (ie the Fargo ancestors)... in other words a crowd of mutants.

One thing I can say for sure; I will be the most comfortable rider on my Fargo... and I'll bet others will be wondering how they too can become.... a Fargonista!!!

I will post pics and video from this epic ride... I hope to make my fellow Fargonauts and Fargonistas proud..... in the mean time, "Stay thirsty, my friends"...

Peace,

BB

Harmonius Wrench

Single track Fargo action

Two Fargos from yesterday's assault on Nebraska single track. Tight, technical, and climb, climb, climb! The Fargo rips single track and we had a blast on 'em.

If you wonder about doing drops and a Fargo off road, wonder no longer. Get one and rage some trails!
    Attached Images Attached Images

lowdesertpunk
    i raced the european singlespeed championships on my fargokart saturday:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/phattyr...ol-1087380@N25

http://www.flickr.com/photos/phattyr...ol-1087380@N25

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ersatzspeiche/3604012720/

last photo is also by ersatzspeiche

the bag on the rack was just stuffed with paper and the bottles where empty except one... the race was too fast to even think about hydrating anyways. but they had shots on the second and third lap.

now it's about time for preperations for the grenzsteinstrophy. i'm thinking about mounting a 6 speed casette and a suntour sl derailleur with a thumbshifter right above the brake lever. has anyone tried something like that?

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Well.....I've picked her up and I've just got to add the bartape and new seat from Charge

I've ridden home from th eLBS and to work this morning and one thing that amazed me "out of the box" is how natural the bike feels and even shifting gears at the end of the drop bars feels like second nature. Basically it whispers "long haul crazy adventures....." as i pedal

As for the speed the bike carrys.....its what all of my 29er friends have always spoke of.....it rides itself!

One thing that is of concern though is bar setup- I'm just not sure on what height to set them other than enough clearance in case of a bar spin- that by the way- freaks me totally out,,,,,,the thought of loosing the top tube in a fall (or simple bike fall over) makes me nervous. The bars clear it- but those thumbies are just an accident waiting to happen!!

So nervous that i'm keen to swap the thumbies over to an Ultega STI. Anyone got advice on setting this up? I also see a drop bar that seems to be a different shape (in the above images) than the one on the "default" build....what is that exactly?

Here are a few more images. I'll post the complete bike once i get the seat and tape on!

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Congrats ILMP on your Fargo, and your first 29er. This will shake your world and cost you a lot of money as you change all your bikes...again.
    The twenty-nine inch wheel.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by Hud
    Congrats ILMP on your Fargo, and your first 29er. This will shake your world and cost you a lot of money as you change all your bikes...again.
    Yeah thanks its a really nice bike....and worth the research and waiting. I'm looking at some touring of NZ and this is my weapon. It will also be my daily commuter bike and will replace my GT peace.

Edit: just rode back from work and man this is alot of fun...and surprisingly familiar
    Last edited by ilostmypassword; 06-10-2009 at 01:46 AM.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    ....its niiiice and so so cruisy I have a few things i'm keen to change- the bars (to onone Midge) and shifting because they hit the knees/ top tube - also the tyres because I want to go faster! I'm also keen on proper racks vs the seat post one you see in the photos (that i've used for commuting for sometime)

What's with the sillyness of the bars/ shifters hitting the top tube/ knees? I mean it's not suitable for dirt with this setup at all- and expensive too when you loose the top tube.

Ride wise though- it's bloomin spot on.

Here are some pics.

Harmonius Wrench
    The shifters do not hit the top tube on my rig, but every set up will be different in that regard depending upon size of frame, height of handle bars, and other smaller factors. I wouldn't condem the bar end shifters for all based upon your specific set up.

Those are WTB bars on your rig, if I am not mistaken, and the drop on a Midge is less. Maybe enough to clear the shifters? I don't know, but that could change things a bit in that regard.

At any rate, have fun dialing in your new bike and here's to many a great adventure!

By the way, here is my latest blog post on Salsa Cycles Fargo: http://twentynineinches.com/2009/06/...o-conclusions/

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I've seen some of you guys have put frame pumps on your Fargos; any of you have a large frame? Which length pump did you get?

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    The shifters do not hit the top tube on my rig, but every set up will be different in that regard depending upon size of frame, height of handle bars, and other smaller factors. I wouldn't condem the bar end shifters for all based upon your specific set up.

Those are WTB bars on your rig, if I am not mistaken, and the drop on a Midge is less. Maybe enough to clear the shifters? I don't know, but that could change things a bit in that regard.

At any rate, have fun dialing in your new bike and here's to many a great adventure!
    The bars are in fact Salsa- the standard affair that ships with the complete bike and the only way to really stop top tube contact is to add copious amounts of spacers which does not work. I've seen quite a few people wrap bar tape about the point of top tube contact- but again- this is not an option.

I love the shifting and setup- so would not condem them- rather I'm using common sense in that it simply does not work if top tube contact (and knees) is a normal occurrence- so needs to be resolved.

Midge bars would solve the problem I'm sure.....lets see.

Cheers- and I will have fun dialing it in

Adventure AHOY!!!!

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by ee ay ess
    I've seen some of you guys have put frame pumps on your Fargos; any of you have a large frame? Which length pump did you get?

My old Blackburn pump is a large- made to fit 57-60cm frames, I think. Anyway, my Fargo is a large size one and it works perfectly as it did on my 20" Karate Monkey.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    After a 60+KM spin on Sunday- I have to admit that the bars were functionally fine and I climbed the Port Hills like a goat on speed....man it was great to get back out on some proper climbs!

I'll be swapping them for midges/ road bars for sure and keeping the bike with some kind of drop bars....i just need to ride the "trapping of limbs" and "top tube hitting"- once i can be bothered and get some more CASH.

Fact is that as much as I want flat bars on the Fargo i just know that its wrong - it's just not cricket.

Meanwhile here she is all slicked up and somewhere to go. What I love is the fact that the Fargo is no light weight racer bike- it's an honest weight and rides so smooth I had to check that the tyres were not punctured! As for the disks- PERFECT on a bike like this- with no surprises at all....nice modulation when you are nailing it at 70KM downwards is all good (still scared the hell out of me though )

On my way back through the city i also chose lines over curbs- down gutters- through gravelled car parks....over drain covers..... I once had a road bike that i could not treat rough....and that has all changed with the fargo.

I'm slightly obsessed with this bike....

Last edited by ilostmypassword; 06-15-2009 at 04:11 PM.

Vagabond
    After a 60+KM spin on Sunday- I have to admit that the bars were functionally fine and I climbed the Port Hills like a goat on speed....man it was great to get back out on some proper climbs! ...
    Dude, that's a sharp looking Fargo. Congrats on a nice build
    Dream It! Plan It! Do It!
    Vagabonding...

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich007
    Dude, that's a sharp looking Fargo. Congrats on a nice build

p.s. your blog is OFF the hook! Bookmarked!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    ilostmypassword: What tires are those in the last set of photos? And which rims? The bike looks great.

Harmonius Wrench
    After a 60+KM spin on Sunday- I have to admit that the bars were functionally fine and I climbed the Port Hills like a goat on speed....man it was great to get back out on some proper climbs!

I'll be swapping them for midges/ road bars for sure and keeping the bike with some kind of drop bars....i just need to ride the "trapping of limbs" and "top tube hitting"- once i can be bothered and get some more CASH.

Fact is that as much as I want flat bars on the Fargo i just know that its wrong - it's just not cricket.

Meanwhile here she is all slicked up and somewhere to go. What I love is the fact that the Fargo is no light weight racer bike- it's an honest weight and rides so smooth I had to check that the tyres were not punctured! As for the disks- PERFECT on a bike like this- with no surprises at all....nice modulation when you are nailing it at 70KM downwards is all good (still scared the hell out of me though )

On my way back through the city i also chose lines over curbs- down gutters- through gravelled car parks....over drain covers..... I once had a road bike that i could not treat rough....and that has all changed with the fargo.

I'm slightly obsessed with this bike....

Love this pic. Nice looking "skinny" Fargo there.

mtbr member

I love the looks of that bike. It looks like the lovechild of a crossbike and a dirtjumper.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuanswan
    ilostmypassword: What tires are those in the last set of photos? And which rims? The bike looks great.
    It's a specialized "all condition armadilo tyre" inspired by the specialized fatboys i have on one of my other 26" bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Brake rotor size on Fargo?

Looking at the builds on this thread, I see mostly 160 mm brake rotors.

Is anyone using 180's on a Fargo for strictly MTB usage? I usually use the larger rotors on 29er's.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by the_eleven
    Looking at the builds on this thread, I see mostly 160 mm brake rotors.

Is anyone using 180's on a Fargo for strictly MTB usage? I usually use the larger rotors on 29er's.
    I have used 180mm rotors with no issues.

Page 10 of 177 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 60 110 ... LastLast