mtbr member

Salsa Fargo as "The One?"

Hey Fargo owners! I am bike lusting after a new Fargo, and considering selling both of my Surlys. I currently ride a Troll for single track and bike packing jaunts, and a Cross Check for road and gravel duty. I absolutely love the versatility of the Troll, and the Cross Check is neat, but can the Fargo be the end all be all one bike?

I know, first world problems, but anyone have experience with the Fargo as their do everything bike?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The only problem I have with the Fargo is the low bottom bracket. That combined with the long stock crankset meant I was catching pedals even on smooth trails. It feels fast and responsive on singletrack and has no toe overlap. It isn't real fast on the road, but I ditched the 46 tooth ring and have a Surly Knard on the front probably slowing it down a bit. The best thing I have done so far is toss the woodchippers and put on a set Nitto Dirt drops, now both the hoods and the drops are comfortable.

Bring back the Tour de GA
    The thought of just having one bike makes me sad.
    There's only two things in life (but I forget what they are). - John Hiatt

mtbr member
    I had a gen 1 Fargo that I did quite a bit off road riding on, and I currently have a CC and various turnover in my mountain bikes.

The low bottom bracket on the Fargo didn't really bother me, but the long chainstays did--it made it quite hard to get the front end up. Plus, considering that I want racks and fenders on my road/utility bike, and absolutely don't want those on my mtb, one bike wouldn't work for me--even though for a while I really lusted after a Ti Fargo.
    WTB: Specialized AWOL frameset, XL

mtbr member
    I am thoroughly against only having one bike, but if I wasnt, the Fargo would be it. I have the Ti Fargo and after I swapped out the tires for 2" Big Bens, Ive used it almost eclusively, even did 100 miles on it back in October.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I rode my Gen 1 Fargo as my only bike for a while. It's definitely doable, but far from optimal. It's not bad at all on smooth trails; when things get technical is when the low BB and long chain stays are noticeable.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses everyone. After spending some time on my bikes, I think that my Troll and Cross Check cover the bases pretty well. I am just having the dreaded, "I NEED a new bike…" moment. Always, just one more bike...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    n+1 The mathematical equation for the proper number of bikes where n is the number you currently own.

mtbr member
    dont forget the s-1, where s is the number of bikes you would own that would cause the spouse to leave you

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I really think that having one bike is not the best solution. I would rather have 2 low or medium-priced bikes than 1 do-it-all expensive bike. That said, I have thought about just getting along with one bike. I think this mostly has to do with what the majority of your riding includes. For me, if it came down to it, I would keep my Jones (although the cross bike would be close second). There are excellent trails all around that I could keep myself content indefinitely. It would suck on-road, so I would probably taper off my road riding by quite a bit. It's still an excellent bikepacking, singletrack, dirt road riding rig. A Fargo would make a good One Bike as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have a fargo, a custom Ti indy fab road bike, a pugsley, and a yuba mundo for family duties.
    love the gen 2 fargo, have used it bikepacking, single track, dirt road, etc.
    it gets the call most days.

if i were to do things over?
    the Ti indy fab will likely always stay...
    but i'd seriously consider getting a mukluk with 4 sets of wheels

29r with something like the WTB vulpine (my favorite dirt road / gravel tire on the fargo)
    29r with a MTB tire (depending on conditions)
    fat larrys
    fat studded tires

i've considered trading / selling the pugs and the fargo to get there...

and, my progression was this:

yeti fro with front sue (26r) (sold to a friend to fund the cross check)
    no mtb for a long time
    surly cross check FG (and then SS as a lite duty trail / gravel bike) sold to fund the juice
    soma juice 29r sold to fund the fargo

the fargo does get the call most days from spring - fall
    its currently sporting nokian 294s for ice duty

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    if i were to do things over?
    the Ti indy fab will likely always stay...
    but i'd seriously consider getting a mukluk with 4 sets of wheels

29r with something like the WTB vulpine (my favorite dirt road / gravel tire on the fargo)
    29r with a MTB tire (depending on conditions)
    fat larrys
    fat studded tires...
    That's a good idea there, too. Adds fat bike option to the Fargo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    FWIW, the newer Fargos (any with a replaceable derailleur hanger) have shorter chainstays and shorter reach at the same size than the first gen Fargo. The newer ones handle more like a mountain bike, and less like a touring bike.

IMO, the Fargo can do an acceptable job as your only bike. A couple of wheelsets, a suspension fork, and some racks and bags for extras and it would take about everything except what you'd use a fatbike for. Some things it will do better than others obviously, but it would be a good choice if you could only have ONE bike. If it could take a 29+ tire on the back, it would be the icing on the cake IMO.

I haven't compared the Fargo geometry to the ECR geometry to see if it's comparable or not.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I rest rode a 2014 Fargo the other day at the LBS and as soon as I started pedaling I realized that if I only owned one bike, it would be the Fargo. It's super comfortable, climbs well, I would definitely switch tires if I were going to spend a lot of time on pavement though. That being said, owning one bike would be awful!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I've got a 2013 Fargo 2. Excellent bike, but I can't say I would want that to be my "only" bike.

mtbr member
    Can't speak to owning one bike - never have done that, except when I was teenager. I don't own just one bike now - more like a quiver of bikes. However, that being said, I absolutely love my Fargo. In a batch of bikes that changes, this one is on the "I will never sell it" list. It's so versatile, so comfortable, and so useful that I can't see ever ditching it. The gearing is great for the mountain fire roads I ride, and is just as applicable on rail trails, paths, and easy singletrack (I am no mtn biker.) I have taken Large Marge as many places as I could, and I still smile every time I saddle up on this bike.
    While the tires I am running are not optimal for "road" use, they're fine for the occasional jaunt to the library or to the post office. Not something I'd do 100 miles on by any stretch - Big Apples or Big Bens would be my choice there.
    If I were pushed into 1 bike, this one would definitely be in the running. I would be hard put to choose between it and my Giant OCR Touring, my CC, and my Giant Avail1. I like speed, dirt, and hauling capacity!!
    My bike is my friend, my counselor, my sanity; without my bike, I am nothing.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all of the replies. I do this from time to time, downsize things to upgrade in other areas. I have sold the Cross Check, and have my Troll listed locally, so I am not sure where I am going to land. I do like the idea of one bike though, as odd as that may be.

mtbr member
    Salsa Fargo as "The One?"-img_2395.jpgFinally after bike lusting for a long time, brought home a Fargo 3 today. I still have my Troll as well, so I am not a one bike family. This bike is going to be fun!

Mmmmm...tacos....
    How does the Fargo handle technical single track? I have been obssessing over this bike for a while and have read everything that I can dig up on the interweb. I've even scoured the Fargo FB page. I would like to be able to throw a suspension fork on it for backpacking segments of the Arizona Coconino loop and sections of the AZT, and would love the versatility of a rigid fork and some different wheels/tires for gravel/paved road duties. My single track ride is a full sus weight weenie xc bike that I would not want to take bikepacking. I ride my road bike quite a bit and think I would like the options for hand positions on the drop bars but I have doubts about the brifters on some of the gnarly stuff. Would I be better off with something like the El Mariachi?