mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Salsa Fargo with Nitto Rack

Hi Folks,

I'm from Australia and have just bought the 2011 Fargo. I need some advice on rear racks, in particular the Nitto Rear racks offerred by Rivendell here.

http://www.rivbike.com/products/show...k-nitto/20-022

and from a Japanese site, the same here:

http://www.alexscycle.com/campee-1/c...ivendell-.html

and this type here:

http://www.alexscycle.com/campee-1/c...-for-700c.html

I have seen it specified somewhere that most of these Nitto racks don't fit on 'most' disc brake bikes. Will the 135mm rear drop out of the Fargo cause issues?

Has anybody here tried any of the nitto 'rear' products on their salsa fargo?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

meh
    the way the disc caliper mounts on the chainstay keeps it from interfering with most racks/fenders

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks clewttu,

Have you got a Fargo yourself? Do you have a specific rear pannier/camping rack that you would recommend?

I'm keen on the Nitto because like most of their products I've bought in the past, I know they would be of a high quality and I'm pretty sure will last a lifetime.

I've tried searching the internet to find pictures of a Nitto Rear Rack fitted onto a Fargo to no avail.

Ly

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    The only reason it's difficult to fit rear racks to bikes with disc brakes is that when the caliper is behind the seat stay it occupies the same space as the rack. As the Fargo, the Surly Troll, etc, etc, position the caliper inside the rear triangle there is no problem. You should be able to use just about any rear rack that will clear the tyre.

Personally, I'd look at Tubus racks too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The other thing to consider is tyre clearance. I fitted a standard Blackburn MTN rear rack to my Fargo and had less than 1cm clearance to the crossmark tyre fitted.
    I own a Surly, a Surly, a Surly and a Salsa. Probably some others in there too at the bottom of the pile.

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    In general I've found the only issue with rear racks to be the height as stated above, especially with a full tire and fender. Any rear rack that has adjustable stays should be just fine. Even if you had clearance issues, with some light modification a fixed stay rack could work very well indeed.
    I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I have a 2010 Fargo with a Surly Nice Rack on the rear. (http://surlybikes.com/parts/surly_rack/)

Plenty of clearance, even with off road tyres. Plenty strong too. Heaps of adjustment. and dang near bulletproof.

I have a Ti Fargo frame sitting on the floor of my office and it will probably get a Salsa rack (http://salsacycles.com/components/wanderlust_rack/) or a Freeload rack. (www.freeload.co.nz)

Elvis.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Elvis et al, have you or anyone else actually seen or used the Freeload thing? I've seen the pix on their site but not sure how it'd actually work in reality. The attachment system looks really cool, and in fact that interests me more than the rack - but not enough for me to buy one sight unseen!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by satanas View Post
    Elvis et al, have you or anyone else actually seen or used the Freeload thing? I've seen the pix on their site but not sure how it'd actually work in reality. The attachment system looks really cool, and in fact that interests me more than the rack - but not enough for me to buy one sight unseen!
    *disclosure*
    For the sake of total honesty... I need to point out that I work for the Australian distributor of Freeload.

So as you could imagine... I've seen quite a few of them. I've personally had one mounted to various bikes... both front and rear.

Plus we, that is, various Dirt Works staff and magazine reviewers have had them fitted to:
    dual suspension bikes (Ibis Mojo SL, Niner Jet9),
    hardtails (assorted Salsa El Mariachis, Niner MCR, Niner Air9)
    roadies (Surly Pacer, Salsa Pistola)
    Crossers (Surly Crosscheck)

They seem to fit most frames and forks (rigid or suspension) with very little problem. The webbing that they use to hold them on is tightened by a key system... so it can be locked down pretty damn tight.

Worth looking into. In the US of A they're distributed by QBP. (Salsa's parent company) And most stores have a QBP account. So it shouldn't be too hard to check one out.

Elvis.

those are Rollercams...
    Surly Nice Rack here as well, works like a charm although I needed strut extensions to fit
    it properly on my small Fargo. ( http://www.thetouringstore.com/TUBUS...ONS%20PAGE.htm ) I've got a Salsa Minimalist on order to handle front rack duty.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks folks,

There appears a lot to choose from, however extension struts are required.

That Freeload does look like a nice option, but I wonder how long it really does take to put on and pull of. I like the idea of a quick attachment as a temporary solution especially when long distance touring might be a fair way away for me. Does having 2 types of racks for one bike seem excessive? or even vain for that matter?

Maybe a freeload for city riding and then a nitto/tubus rear rack for touring.....

Hmmmmm.... options......

where can one buy the freeload btw Elvis?

Also, the Rivendell site appears to have 2 sizes for the nitto. Without having the bike on hand, does anybody know which one I should get? the medium or the large?

Thanks again!

Ly

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cruiserLy View Post
    where can one buy the freeload btw Elvis?
    Ly
    Hey Ly:

depends what part of the country you're in. pretty much any local shop in Australia can get one for you. If you're an online orderer, you can try Cell Bikes. www.cellbikes.com.au (as I know they always keep them in stock)

If you'd like more accurate direction to a local store shoot us an email on info@dirtworks.com.au

Elvis.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Another quick question for Elvis: Is the Freeload rack likely to work on non-round-section carbon road or CX forks? I've been trying to find a way around that problem but no success now that the Carradice Limpets are extinct. One could possibly use clamps, but not sure they wouldn't slip or crack the fork blades if tight enough. .

Since I'm in Oz, and now know you guys are flogging them here I'll try to find one to look at. :-)

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Another quick question for Elvis: Is the Freeload rack likely to work on non-round-section carbon road or CX forks? I've been trying to find a way around that problem but no success now that the Carradice Limpets are extinct. One could possibly use clamps, but not sure they wouldn't slip or crack the fork blades if tight enough. .

Since I'm in Oz, and now know you guys are flogging them here I'll try to find one to look at. :-)
    I've seen them mounted on some very odd shaped tubing. But I'd recommend trying one on your particular frame/fork first.

The support brackets are well padded and the webbing will pull tight over most shapes.

Elvis.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    ^ That was quick!

You don't know offhand of anyone in Sydney who might have stock do you?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    ^ That was quick!

You don't know offhand of anyone in Sydney who might have stock do you?
    Try:
    Cell Bikes. @ Stanmore - Ph: 02 9565 1899 (I know they always carry stock on hand)

Other stores might have them too.

For example Cheeky Monkey Transport in Newtown (ph: 02 9557 5424) and City Bike Depot (ph: 02 9279 2202) in the city.

I'd suggest give them a call first.

Elvis.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Old Man Mountain racks work as well, I had to make extensions for a small frame, but I reckon the standard mounts will work on any other size. link to pics in the fargo thread.....
    The Salsa Fargo Thread...bah link to actual page didn't work pics are on page 61 of the fargo thread..

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Well, I popped in to CBD today and they had the Freeload rack, plus news that a pannier-compatible version is on the way.

And the guy I spoke to had his bike there, a Fargo Ti with Revelate bags in my size. Serious envy!!! I'm pretty sure I should keep that second kidney though...