mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Salsa dos niner comeback!!!

My salsa dos niner finally cracked...

Great bike while it lasted. Salsa: what would it take for you guys to do a limited run of the frame?!?

How many pre-orders etc...? Man, I would love to get a new dos niner.

Here's for hoping!

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by twelve_volt_man View Post
    My salsa dos niner finally cracked...

Great bike while it lasted. Salsa: what would it take for you guys to do a limited run of the frame?!?

How many pre-orders etc...? Man, I would love to get a new dos niner.

Here's for hoping!
    Count me in for wanting a new one once mine gives up the ghost (currently on my 2nd Dos Niner frame as the first one cracked at the start of its 5th year of riding it). In spite of whatever design issues Salsa had in making their decision to discontinue their production of Dos Niners - I still find it to be an impressive ride. It's got just about the right amount of everything for my needs. Too bad Salsa, like Moots, did not continue to refine and update their softail.

Moots, on the other hand, has kept with the times and updated their version over the years. The 2015 model looks pretty tasty.

The Moots Mooto X YBB looks like a nice replacement - albeit at a higher price point for the titanium. Lifetime warranty on craftsmanship and materials included.

BB

Harmonius Wrench
    I kind of thought the Spearfish was the Dos Niner replacement, and this quote from Mike Riemer of Salsa Cycles in the new Bike Magazine Bible of Bike Tests kind of bears that out. See what you think.....

Mike Riemer: This all goes back to the initial concept of creating an extremely efficient bike. The historical legacy product that in some ways inspired the Spearfish was our old soft tail 29er, the Dos Niner. When we began working on the Spearfish one of the initial thoughts was letís make a bike that has more travel than the Dos, but is just as (or maybe even more) efficient.
    Based upon that, I doubt you'll ever see a true soft tail bike from Salsa again. At least not a 29"er.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    I kind of thought the Spearfish was the Dos Niner replacement, and this quote from Mike Riemer of Salsa Cycles in the new Bike Magazine Bible of Bike Tests kind of bears that out. See what you think.....

Based upon that, I doubt you'll ever see a true soft tail bike from Salsa again. At least not a 29"er.
    Yes, realistically speaking it sure sounds like we won't see this product again from Salsa.

It's been a very nice "tweener" XC race bike (between HT and shorter travel fully bikes like the Spearfish). I have to say, going into season 10 of racing one, when the current one I own gives up the ghost - I will certainly miss having it as a choice. I've tried a lot of bikes for XC racing (including some demo rides of a Spearfish) over the years and this one just fits like a glove.

In the beginning of my Dos Niner racing...

...and last year...

I did optimistically just put a new chain, cassette, and rear derailleur on the silver Dos in hopes it will get me through 2015. It's got just the right amount of noodle to it that makes it comfortable and compliant without having to reach for the fully.

I will enjoy it while I can...

mtbr member
    Having ridden a spearfish along with my Dos Niner, side by side, switching back and forth throughout a weekend with a friend... I can say that the spearfish is a damn fine bike but it is not my Dos.

I love the Dos Niner in unholy ways. I've never connected with a bike like that before, and I've been around the block, so to speak. I'd buy another in a heartbeat... hell, maybe even 2. Give me the structural cracking risks, make me sign a waiver, whatever. All I can say is that nothing I've ridden rides quite like it. I wish I could find the words to describe it... precise? the perfect blend of compliant and powerful? predictable? Nimble?

I don't know. I just want another for when mine ultimately cracks.

mtbr member
    I'd buy another Dos in a heartbeat if salsa would ever decide to make them again. When riding the Dos felt just felt "right". You know what I mean. :-)

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by calboy View Post
    I'd buy another Dos in a heartbeat if salsa would ever decide to make them again. When riding the Dos felt just felt "right". You know what I mean. :-)
    We'll probably all have to just settle for the Dos Fan Club and enjoy the memories.

I'll be climbing on mine next weekend for my first XC race of the year. New chain, new cassette, new tires, new rear derailleur.

Always Learning
    Another option for the softail lovers looks pretty promising from BMC...

First Look: BMC Teamelite 01 ?soft tail? hardtail - Mtbr.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    heard werd that salsa's cooking up a new dos 27+ bike. same frame you've always loved, same wheel diameter as yer 29 without going to the silly 29+ wagon wheel size.

dos + 27.5 x 3= hellz yeah!

discuss.

AOK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    heard werd that salsa's cooking up a new dos 27+ bike. same frame you've always loved, same wheel diameter as yer 29 without going to the silly 29+ wagon wheel size.

discuss.
    It can't possibly be the "same" frame. My Dos was tight with a 2.2" tire.

Personally I'm not interested in 275+ (or 275 normal for that matter) so out me down as "meh" for the new Dos you describe.

Harmonius Wrench

discuss.
    Okay, let's speculate, shall we?

First off, the 27.5+ platform doesn't strike me as an XC platform, (what the Dos Niner was), so what we have here is probably something that fits the "Adventure By Bike" theme. I'd look for a bikepacking rig with a little sumpthin to take the edge off. Not a Dos Niner replacement in the purest sense.

I'd take a close look at the TD start line next month.

And to say " silly 29+ wagon wheel size" strikes me as odd. I thought that criticism was reserved for 29"ers back four years ago.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    It can't possibly be the "same" frame. My Dos was tight with a 2.2" tire.

Personally I'm not interested in 275+ (or 275 normal for that matter) so out me down as "meh" for the new Dos you describe.
    29 is so 2003. no new dos for you!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

First off, the 27.5+ platform doesn't strike me as an XC platform, (what the Dos Niner was), so what we have here is probably something that fits the "Adventure By Bike" theme. I'd look for a bikepacking rig with a little sumpthin to take the edge off. Not a Dos Niner replacement in the purest sense.
    if yer only gonna go 2/3 (27.5/29+) fat which will yield you a 2/3rd capable bicycle (i mean who's kiddin who here?), then 27.5 is the way to go. 29 had it's 15 years to shine. 27.5 1/3 fat is kinda retahdid. 26 is for folks that actually have real riding skillz. very few of them left in our current day koolaid land.

this would be a new and improved DOS.

And to say " silly 29+ wagon wheel size" strikes me as odd. I thought that criticism was reserved for 29"ers back four years ago.
    heh whatevahz

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Wow this thread has had a lot of views, how should that be interpreted??
    The twenty-nine inch wheel.

Harmonius Wrench
    if yer only gonna go 2/3 (27.5/29+) fat which will yield you a 2/3rd capable bicycle (i mean who's kiddin who here?), then 27.5 is the way to go.
    Or you could look at it as the 27.5"er being a 10% gain over a 26"er, so you'd only get a 10% more capable bicycle. (And a lot less capable in many ways than a 29"er, which the old Dos was. Of course, that was for us "riders with no skillz" )

29 had it's 15 years to shine. 27.5 1/3 fat is kinda retahdid. 26 is for folks that actually have real riding skillz. very few of them left in our current day koolaid land.

this would be a new and improved DOS.
    The marketing machine doesn't agree, because it is quite obvious that 27.5+ and 29+ is where the R&D dollars are going. This isn't my opinion, it is what it is.

But as you say...."whatevs".

And in the end, it is all speculation on both our parts. We will all see in about a month and a half what the deal will actually be.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Or you could look at it as the 27.5"er being a 10% gain over a 26"er, so you'd only get a 10% more capable bicycle. (And a lot less capable in many ways than a 29"er, which the old Dos was. Of course, that was for us "riders with no skillz" )

The marketing machine doesn't agree, because it is quite obvious that 27.5+ and 29+ is where the R&D dollars are going. This isn't my opinion, it is what it is.

But as you say...."whatevs".

And in the end, it is all speculation on both our parts. We will all see in about a month and a half what the deal will actually be.
    oui oui

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    ...so what we have here is probably something that fits the "Adventure By Bike" theme. I'd look for a bikepacking rig with a little sumpthin to take the edge off. Not a Dos Niner replacement in the purest sense.

I'd take a close look at the TD start line next month.
    I'll prowl around and see what I can see in a couple of weeks. I love my Dos Niner, and thankfully it hasn't had any issues yet. I'll be sad when/if it finally fatigues.

S

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I am still jonesing for a new salsa dos Niner! I loved the simplicity.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for a limited run... The demand seems to be there...

Here's to hoping!

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Seems much more likely at this point that they will do a carbon VRS bike similar to the Cutthroat that just came out then revert to a design that proved flawed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Got two XL frames in the garage, one with a badly dented toptube and one barely ridden... I've got my fingers crossed they'll become collectors items and fetch a high price in a few years... Right up there with the shares in a famous bridge I bought the other week, both of which I'm sure are guaranteed investments.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by mr7q View Post
    Got two XL frames in the garage, one with a badly dented toptube and one barely ridden... I've got my fingers crossed they'll become collectors items and fetch a high price in a few years... Right up there with the shares in a famous bridge I bought the other week, both of which I'm sure are guaranteed investments.
    LOL!

In the meantime, new wheels and tires went on my XL Dos yesterday.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Flat bar Cutthroat maybe?