Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

My Casseroll build

The Salsa Casseroll thread-casseroll.jpg

Just finished building her up, for want of a better term. I'm currently running fixed, which I went into thinking it would probably just be an experiment before going geared - now I'm not so sure, as it just feels right as it is and I'm really enjoying fixed riding. I'm very impressed with the frame set's ride and build quality, and the unfashionably tall head tube is great, as it means I can have an upright gentleman's riding position without a poop-ton of spacers.

Components: Salsa Casseroll frame set (60 cm); Salsa Delgado rims; DT Comp spokes; Shimano XT front hub; VeloSolo XT fixed rear disc hub with 18T VeloSolo chromo disc sprocket; 35 mm Schwalbe Kojak tyres; Shimano XT V brakes; Ritchey Classic post, stem (90 mm) and bars (42 cm); Tektro RL520 brake levers; FSA Gimondi cranks (172.5 mm); VeloSolo alloy chainring (46T); Problem Solvers downtube-shifter-boss covers; KMC X1 chain (3/32"); Exustar E-PM215 pedals; Jagwire compressionless brake cable; Gilles Berthoud Aspin saddle (natural); Token TK866 carbon/alloy/chromo BB (103 mm); Brooks honey leather bar tape; Hope headset; Hope spacers.

In case anyone's interested in sizing, I'm 6'4" with 94 cm cyclist's inseam. Weight including pedals is 10.2 kg.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I must confess I was lurking this forum to see if anyone saw my bike build - I wasn't expecting much as this bike was discontinued last year! But then here you come with a brand new build not more than 4 hours after my post! Glad to see people appreciate this bike!

This build is ascetically pleasing to me, not just how you matched the saddle and handlebar wrap but also the Kojaks! Where the heck did you find those, they've been out of inventory for months on Schwalbe's website! Those are the tires I wanted and wished I had - my Specialized Nimbus tires have developed a bulge - the outer tire has separated from the inner tire as I understand it.

I'll have to look into those Problem Solvers towntube shifter covers - I've got the generic one on my left hand side towntube shifter and it looks awkward and temporary.

Any plans for the front rack?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jdriver View Post
    I must confess I was lurking this forum to see if anyone saw my bike build - I wasn't expecting much as this bike was discontinued last year! But then here you come with a brand new build not more than 4 hours after my post! Glad to see people appreciate this bike!

This build is ascetically pleasing to me, not just how you matched the saddle and handlebar wrap but also the Kojaks! Where the heck did you find those, they've been out of inventory for months on Schwalbe's website! Those are the tires I wanted and wished I had - my Specialized Nimbus tires have developed a bulge - the outer tire has separated from the inner tire as I understand it.

I'll have to look into those Problem Solvers towntube shifter covers - I've got the generic one on my left hand side towntube shifter and it looks awkward and temporary.

Any plans for the front rack?
    Small world

Actually, I've had mine pretty much built since last summer, but it was only recently that I properly finished her off with new bars and the Brooks tape.

I really like the Kojaks, which are light and comfy, and roll very well because of their suppleness. My rear has developed a few hairline cracks near the bead, which I think is mainly caused my storing the bike in strong sunlight - the rubber doesn't seem to be separating from the casing or perishing, so I guess they'll be fine. I bought them from BIKE-COMPONENTS.DE about a year ago.

The bar tape and saddle look colour matched in this pic, but actually they're not quite as well matched in the flesh, and I'm hoping the Brooks will lighten with age. I didn't want to spend the extortionate amount required to get the matching Gilles tape.

Problem Solvers are nice, but quite expensive for what they are, and surprisingly heavy - not that this makes much difference with something so small.

Not really sure what to with the rack yet. I'd like to get a well-fitting bag for it, but I've yet to find anything suitable in the European web shops. If anyone's got any suggestions for make and model, I'd be interested in hearing them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Small world indeed. The best vacation I ever had was in Europe, bicycle touring on a rental bike from Amsterdam. I'm curious what drew you to Salsa, and not Santos, Brompton, Tout Terrain or Thorn. I would love one of those bikes. The grass is always greener I guess. I own a mountain bike with a Rohloff hub! But I must say you have access to a wonderful train system and network of bike paths. Whatever bike you choose you live in a wonderful place for our hobby.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

The Salsa Casseroll thread

I guess it was more to do with availability than anything else - perhaps also that there's quite a lot of impartial write-up on the net pertaining to Surly and Salsa, by people like Guitar Ted.

I'm a Brit but am living in Finland at the moment, where it's not that easy to try before you buy and everything you can get through a dealer has a pretty disgusting markup. I usually buy online, and it's the German web shops that tend to do the best deals and service, and have the cheapest delivery. For some reason, they do Surly and Salsa, and the prices aren't too bad.

I've got the Casseroll, of course, and an LHT, but I've also had an On-One Pompetamine, plus I've just finished building up a Singular Gryphon; that makes it 2:2, US vs UK

I'm envious of your Rohloff, btw
    Last edited by ionofchios; 11-14-2013 at 11:53 AM.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Julia658 View Post
    Thats one long head tube for a 47 cm bike!
    I wish there were more like that
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Seeing as I own a Casseroll, and with so many awesome examples on this thread, I thought I'd join the club with a pic of my own...

The Salsa Casseroll thread-image.jpg

Details of build... (From what I can recall)

49cm frame

Rear wheel built up with standard Surly hub running it fixed laced to a DT Swiss TK 540 with DT Swiss SS spokes.

Front wheel is a DT Swiss RR415 rim laced with DT Swiss SS spokes to an Exposure dyno hub with Exposure Revo Mk1 light.

Crank set is probably the weakest link ATM, it's an old Shimano Triple which I have converted to a single using the middle ring (off an old Cannondale alu frame racer).

Pedals are Shimano M520.

Thomson seat post.

Tektro reverse brake lever, running the original front brake caliper.

Brooks Swallow saddle in brown with titanium rails.

Front tyre is a schwalbe Ultremo 23c. Rear tyre is a Schwalbe Marathon Plus 28c.

Rear bag is a Frost River Gunflint Trail with a Carradice Bagman support.

Handle bar is a short n shallow drop Dimension with ovalised tubing across the top with San Marco vintage red leather handle bar tape. Procraft stem, 110mm x 17 degree angle.

I have changed the set up on this bike a ridiculous amount of times, but pretty happy with the current set up. If I were to change anything now I would get a Thomson stem, and replace the wheel spokes with CX Ray Sapim Bladed spokes. Oh and a stiff crank set, perhaps a Campy Record Pista Track crank.

Cheers !

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: The Salsa Casseroll thread

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Nice build, ultrapsontane! What mudguards/fenders and bar tape are they/is that?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Ah, must be Salsa tape.
    Last edited by ionofchios; 08-02-2014 at 12:16 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ^ Thanks. Yep, grey Salsa bar tape. Fenders are Velo Orange Zeppelin.

mtbr member
    Awesome thread - beautiful bikes! I really like the color of the SS from 08 or 09 - the mustard one. If I could find one, I'd be hard pressed to resist the temptation to buy!

Why did Salsa discontinue the Casseroll? Seems like a LHT meets Vaya build? Assuming Salsa replaced it with the Vaya?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Quote Originally Posted by cassavant89 View Post
    Awesome thread - beautiful bikes! I really like the color of the SS from 08 or 09 - the mustard one. If I could find one, I'd be hard pressed to resist the temptation to buy!

Why did Salsa discontinue the Casseroll? Seems like a LHT meets Vaya build? Assuming Salsa replaced it with the Vaya?
    I was really disappointed that Salsa dropped this bike. Not so much the Casseroll itself but the niche it filled. I do not see anything else in the lineup that replaces it.

I have the mustard colored SS frame (2010?), but built up geared. My only complaint is that it is a little more flexible under power than I would like. I would also prefer disc or canti brakes (like the later model had). As I look around to replace this with something just a little stiffer and with discs, but with similar ride/handeling characteristics, I am finding it with other brands, but not Salsa. The Vaya is close but not really it.

Seems to me that Salsa is focusing more on extreme niche markets and application, less on "everyday" bikes. The Vaya is a great offering for everyday use, but another (more pavement, less 3rd world touring-oriented) would be great as well.

The Cass is different from both the Vaya and the LHT in that the latter two are built for touring, and have longer chainstays. I would say it is more in between the Vaya and a typical road bike.

The Cass and the Vaya were both sold along side each other for a number of years, So I don't thing the Vaya really replaced it. However, the bikes filled some overlapping needs and the Vaya was a much better selling and more popular bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Kapusta, what bikes from other manufacturers are you seeing similar to the Casseroll? I looked for an alternative awhile ago and thought the All-City offerings were similar.

Happy with my Casseroll, but curious who picked up the ball.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Quote Originally Posted by jdriver View Post
    Kapusta, what bikes from other manufacturers are you seeing similar to the Casseroll? I looked for an alternative awhile ago and thought the All-City offerings were similar.

Happy with my Casseroll, but curious who picked up the ball.
    It has been a while since I actively looked, but All-City was one that I was interested in. What I don't remember is what the geometry was like.

mtbr member
    Hey guys, I actually found a SS Cass (the mustard one!) and was wondering what you would recommend if I were to set it up as a geared bike? I've never converted one before and would likely lean on my LBS for help. I'm just not sure what my options are and what would be the most economical way to go about it.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Hey guys, I actually found a SS Cass (the mustard one!) and was wondering what you would recommend if I were to set it up as a geared bike? I've never converted one before and would likely lean on my LBS for help. I'm just not sure what my options are and what would be the most economical way to go about it.
    There is quite a bit to replace to go geared in this. You will need

-new crankset (and probably bottom bracket as well)

-new chain

-cassette

-shifters: either bar end shifters or new brake/shifters

-new rear wheel, since this one has a SS hub. I would get a new front wheel as well, the stock rims are way overkill (heavy) for most applications that you would use this bike for. I appreciate a stout rim, but the applications where they are needed (singletrack or loaded touring) are beyond what the Cass is designed for. New front wheel Not required, but you often get a good deal on a wheel set (front and rear).

A cheaper alternative is to get the rear rim built up with a new geared hub, and keep the front wheel you have. This makes a lot of sense if you want to keep the beefier rims.

-front and rear derailleurs

I would look over on Roadbikereview.com for some advice on specific components. Keep in mind that they are mostly racers and wannabe's so the advice may be more lightweight and high end than you are looking for. If you want more practical advice look on the commuter/touring forum.

Also look at the commuter forum here as well.

In my case I already had a road bike, so I just rebuilt the case frame with those parts.

One more suggestion: if this bike still has the stock brake pads, replace them. They suck. The brakes calipers are actually pretty good. They are just as good as the Ultegras I had on the other bike once I had the same pads.

mtbr member
    Awesome info kapusta, and I really appreciate it. It sounds like a pretty substantial task in changing a SS to geared. I think I'd opt to go the IGH route since it's going to be the easiest route and won't require all of the additional components.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I love the Casseroll thread!

I've got both versions, caliper and canti brake.

The canti-brake bike is my daily commuter. I strap my mug of coffee on the front rack every morning!

I'll try to take some pics- more Casseroll! Keep it coming

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Awesome info kapusta, and I really appreciate it. It sounds like a pretty substantial task in changing a SS to geared. I think I'd opt to go the IGH route since it's going to be the easiest route and won't require all of the additional components.
    Had not thought of IGH. Big plus is you get to keep the styley chain guard.

In terms of cost I am interested to hear how it works out. My (admittedly uninformed) guess is that the IGH route is going to be at least as expensive, but I guess it depends on what you get.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post

A cheaper alternative is to get the rear rim built up with a new geared hub, and keep the front wheel you have. This makes a lot of sense if you want to keep the beefier rims.
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Had not thought of IGH. Big plus is you get to keep the styley chain guard.

In terms of cost I am interested to hear how it works out. My (admittedly uninformed) guess is that the IGH route is going to be at least as expensive, but I guess it depends on what you get.
    Your first quote actually made me believe an IGH was what you meant. After a few Google searches, I found a few different forums and threads on this site that spoke to conversion the IGH route. Since I'm not needing 24 or 27 gears, I'd be perfectly happy with a 5, 7 or 8 speed option, so an IGH makes sense and should be the less expensive option.

I'll fill you in more as/if it happens - I'm still working on getting the bike. Side note - what's a good price to pay for an 09 or 2010 SS model that the owner says has around 100 miles on it?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Your first quote actually made me believe an IGH was what you meant. After a few Google searches, I found a few different forums and threads on this site that spoke to conversion the IGH route. Since I'm not needing 24 or 27 gears, I'd be perfectly happy with a 5, 7 or 8 speed option, so an IGH makes sense and should be the less expensive option.

I'll fill you in more as/if it happens - I'm still working on getting the bike. Side note - what's a good price to pay for an 09 or 2010 SS model that the owner says has around 100 miles on it?
    I meant a wheel with a freehub that you can put a cassette on.

If you just want 8 or so gears then you could just keep the crank that is already on there, and possibly the chainring as well. This is true whether you go IGH or standard cassette/deraileur in the rear. 8 speed deraileurs, shifters, and cassettes can be had pretty cheap.

the 2010 SS's did not sell all that well and were being blown out really cheap. I bought mine in the fall of 2010 for $450 new. I just kept the frame, brake calipers, and tires (I really like the Conti Contacts) and sold almost everything else (wheels, cranks, brake levers, bars) to re-coupe around $150 of that.

mtbr member
    Not sure why it's taken me so long to post this, but here's my Casseroll:

SRAM Apex group, Halo wheelset, Salsa seatpost, stem, bars, Soma cross levers.

Love this bike.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9