Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am just about convinced to buy a single speed casseroll after looking at all the pics and reading the comments. I was originally thinking about a cyclocross bike for winter / dirt road riding. I have a Dos Niner for single track and technical riding but was looking for a good dirt / gravel road bike. Is this the bike I need or should I stick with the cyclocross idea?

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by PaMtbRider
    I am just about convinced to buy a single speed casseroll after looking at all the pics and reading the comments. I was originally thinking about a cyclocross bike for winter / dirt road riding. I have a Dos Niner for single track and technical riding but was looking for a good dirt / gravel road bike. Is this the bike I need or should I stick with the cyclocross idea?
    The Casseroll is not designed to ride off-road whatsoever. I have been strictly warned by the folks at Salsa about this regarding my wife's Casseroll because they know me (and my riding style) too well. That said, I know bd.sahib has ridden his Casseroll in waaaaay worse conditions than Salsa designed the bike for, and it's still kickin', so I'd say it's a matter of whatever you're willing to risk.

Personally, I'd go with a La Cruz... In fact, that's what I did.

mtbr member
    First off, I agree whole heartedly with what MG says. I started riding the Casseroll beyond it's "intended purpose" on a gravel detour. I appreciated the stability of the bike, which I attribute to lower bb (bb drop), the choice of tubing, and the overall geometry. I guess I'd say you can get by with certain things depending on riding style and the patience to pick the smoothest line even if its not the fastest. The one caveat I would bring up is mud clearance with larger tires.

I think the Casseroll Single is a truly amazing machine for all day comfort. For gravel and dirt the La Cruz would be a better choice, especially in winter riding conditions.I've also been comparing the geometry of the Casseroll with the Fargo (bb drop again).

Anyway, happy shopping!
    I am the king of the Echo People

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the feedback. I am still not decided on what I am going to do. If I go with a La Cruz I would just by the frame and build it up with Rival components and stuff I have laying around the garage. It would cost more than the Casseroll but might be the way to go.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have been running cross tires on my Casseroll off and on for a while now. I ride it on gravel and hardpack. It serves me quite well, although we don't get a lot of mud down here in NC so YEMV.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mgersib
    The Casseroll is not designed to ride off-road whatsoever. I have been strictly warned by the folks at Salsa about this regarding my wife's Casseroll because they know me (and my riding style) too well. That said, I know bd.sahib has ridden his Casseroll in waaaaay worse conditions than Salsa designed the bike for, and it's still kickin', so I'd say it's a matter of whatever you're willing to risk.

Personally, I'd go with a La Cruz... In fact, that's what I did.
    Seems like "dirt road" and "off road" are two totally different things no? as long as its a road that a typical vehicle can travel on the Casseroll should be fine.

Just like the old Rando. days eh?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I decided to go ahead with the Casseroll single speed . I got it two days ago and have put 50 road miles on it so far. I love the smooth ride with the steel frame and the big tires. I have gotten used to 23mm tires at 120 psi on my road bike. This thing just feels so plush with the bigger tires. It fits really well, and is a little slower steering than what I normally ride but it is super stable in the corners and over rough pavement. I still plan on doing some easy dirt road riding with it. Hopefully by next fall I can add a cyclocross bike to the garage and use it for some racing and more of the winter dirt road riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaMtbRider
    I decided to go ahead with the Casseroll single speed .
    Sounds like a winning plan. I think you'll stay pleased with your choice.

I'm in the middle of re-working my casseroll. It is primarily a commuter now so I'm switching up the build a bit. I've got some Honjo fenders on the way and I'm setting it up with my Nitto Noodle and bar end shifters. Most recently I had a moustache bar on it but I can't say it is as comfortable for me as normal drops.

Working on bikes comes last to taking care of the household and our 2 kiddos (one newborn) so its been partially completed in the stand for a couple weeks.

Once I get it finished up I'll have some updated photos for this thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Anybody running their Cass with Neuvation wheels?
    And a good day to you sir!

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by black cross
    PMan, Is the painted stem that matches the single speed available as an option if a longer stem is needed?
    I imagine they show up used on occasion. This guy got one somehow:
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...d.php?t=155705

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by black cross
    PMan, Is the painted stem that matches the single speed available as an option if a longer stem is needed?
    Sorry, but the color-matched versions are not available aftermarket. We do, however sell the exact same stem in black, in a wide variety of sizes.

Ride and Smile!
    Tim
    Salsa Frame Dude
    Adventure by Bike

Check out our blog!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    What's the clearance like on one of these if you are running something like a 32mm CX tire? I imagine that would be getting close to the brake caliper on even a long reach. One of these would be fun to get and do an occasional single speed CX race on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quick picture of my Casseroll.
    ~53(56) Frame
    ~Campagnolo Comp triple drive train
    ~Campagnolo Veloce controls
    ~DT Swiss RR1450 classic wheels
    ~Schwalbe Marathon tires
    ~FSA omega shallow drop handlebars
    ~WTB saddle
    ~Salsa Shaft seat post
    ~Tektro R536 brakes
    ~
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rnder; 02-22-2009 at 10:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    folks - here's another another Casseroll for you. This is my commuter. Great how you can ride it over speed humps, into potholes, kerbs, street detritus etc without feeling a thing. Just don't try to go fast. Just for fun, I left the carbon roadie at home, and took it out with a bunch of people who were riding Cervelos, Times and Looks. Obviously I got a slaying.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Another one on the way, just got my frameset in. It'll have these parts on it:

Red Hope headset
    Salsa S&S bar
    Black Hope stem
    R650 brakes
    R700 compact cranks
    Hope Pro 3 on Open Pro's
    Force shifters and rear der.
    105 Front der.
    Charge Knife saddle
    USE Carbon post
    Red Ritchey bar tape

I already had the Hope stem and seatpost, otherwise I would have gone with silver bars, stem and post and tan saddle and tape, but I think the black and red should be good. Can't wait to build it....
    Last edited by happybiker; 07-06-2009 at 11:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well I finally got it built and loving it, so much more comfortable than my Cannondale R1000 and it looks pretty cool. Think it looks better with the black Ksyriums as opposed to the handbuilt Hope/Open Pro's, but atleast I can work on them myself and the hubs are nice. Was hoping to go tubeless but found out as they were being finished that the Open Pro's are one of the only rims that won't convert!

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by happybiker; 07-19-2009 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Trying to add pics!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Some more:

Bring back the Tour de GA
    I've just had my LBS order a Casseroll SS Complete for me. I'll be converting it to a geared triple. Can't wait.
    There's only two things in life (but I forget what they are). - John Hiatt

Conversion to come soon, but right now it is a lot of fun to ride as a single speed.

more pics
    Last edited by BluesDawg; 10-31-2009 at 03:00 PM.

mtbr member
    I am hours away from pulling the trigger on a casseroll single speed. I am still hung up on what size. Without being able to ride one I am somewhat guessing. 6'1", 34.5-35" actual inseam. Riding a 59cm Surly and it seems to fit nearly spot on, but I tend to ride on the shoulders where I would probably spend most times on the hoods on the casseroll. The 55 might put me on a bike slightly small, while the 57 would put me on one a little large, so whats worse? Any help would be appreciated, I cant wait to get one.
    Last edited by fixinflag; 11-04-2009 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fixinflag
    I am hours away from pulling the trigger on a casseroll single speed. I am still hung up on what size. Without being able to ride one I am somewhat guessing. 6'1", 34.5-35" actual inseam. Riding a 59cm Surly and it seems to fit nearly spot on, but I tend to ride on the shoulders where I would probably spend most times in the drops on the casseroll. The 55 might put me on a bike slightly small, while the 57 would put me on one a little large, so whats worse? Any help would be appreciated, I cant wait to get one.
    Hope this helps:

I am 1" shorter than you with an actual inseam about 1/2" less. My gold standard for bike fit is my Bridgestone RB-1 size 57.5 with a 57.5cm TT and a 110mm stem. My size 55 Casseroll fits me just on the large side of ideal. The standover is about as close as I would want to go, not hitting anything solid, but barely any clearance. I have the saddle mounted near the front of its adjustment range with plenty of room to slide it rearward if needed. The reach to the handlebars with the standard 100mm stem is just a little long for casual riding but would be fine for a more aggressive riding style. I think if I change to a 90mm stem, I'll be right where I want to be, duplicating the contact points of my RB-1. I believe this would still be the right size frame for me if I was an inch taller.
    Last edited by BluesDawg; 11-28-2009 at 07:50 PM.

mtbr member
    FYI, if people haven't heard yet, QBP seems to be blowing out '09 Casseroll single speed bikes for < $600. I ordered mine Monday

I went a size up from my original Casseroll, 57cm --> 59cm. I think this will fit a bit better. And I like the mustard yellow color over the ginger beer.

bike geek
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy
    FYI, if people haven't heard yet, QBP seems to be blowing out '09 Casseroll single speed bikes for < $600. I ordered mine Monday

I went a size up from my original Casseroll, 57cm --> 59cm. I think this will fit a bit better. And I like the mustard yellow color over the ginger beer.
    Holy smokes thanks for the heads up! They were $735 last week and I thought that was a good price...now only question is 51 or 53...I once had a ginger beer size 53 set up with gears and it was a *tad* big (I fit best on a 55cm road frame) so I wonder if a 51 will be better for me....mmmm mustard....

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yep. Universal Cycles has them for $625 with free shipping. Was going to go that direction with plans to convert to triple later, but found a shop demo triple in my size on the bay at a nice discount off the going rate for new ones.

Ron

mtbr member
    I got mine for $595 shipped from Speedgoat. I ordered it Monday, and it looks like it will arrive today.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast