Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    i want one of these bikes so bad.... i may have to sell my current road bike to get one.

anyone looking for a custom scandium 54cm road frame?
    Whiskey bent, and hell bound.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bd.sahib
    Just stumbled onto this thread trying to poach some DIY tubeless know-how from MG.

Anyway, here's a couple pics of mine gussied up for Dirty Kanza at the end of the month. Couple weight weiner upgrades. CB Opium HS, as it matches the panels, Antique brown Brooks, as it matches the panels. (Pretty much a fashion slave.) WI FW. Phil Ti bb, Moots post, ilink housing, TR WCS stem, Carbon bars. Set up About 64X.Very comfy on longer (>100mls) gravel and double track dirt rides. Very stable, even on ~40mph downhill gravel. Might swap the stock wheels out, might not. Very impressed w/ the Delgado Cross rims, enough to get 4 more for some other projects.

Notice the stock head badge placement?! May have to fix that one with a Gary Fisher sticker.
    dp

Can this spicy brown mustard single be run with gears? I'm really wanting a Casseroll
    and would prefer this color over the ginger beer. Just want the option for gears in the future.
    And a good day to you sir!

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by nucmedjim
    Can this spicy brown mustard single be run with gears? I'm really wanting a Casseroll
    and would prefer this color over the ginger beer. Just want the option for gears in the future.
    That is an affirmative.

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by bd.sahib
    Just stumbled onto this thread trying to poach some DIY tubeless know-how from MG.

Anyway, here's a couple pics of mine gussied up for Dirty Kanza at the end of the month. Couple weight weiner upgrades. CB Opium HS, as it matches the panels, Antique brown Brooks, as it matches the panels. (Pretty much a fashion slave.) WI FW. Phil Ti bb, Moots post, ilink housing, TR WCS stem, Carbon bars. Set up About 64X.Very comfy on longer (>100mls) gravel and double track dirt rides. Very stable, even on ~40mph downhill gravel. Might swap the stock wheels out, might not. Very impressed w/ the Delgado Cross rims, enough to get 4 more for some other projects.

Notice the stock head badge placement?! May have to fix that one with a Gary Fisher sticker.
    dp
    Hey dp... You need know-how, you've got it. Whatever you wanna' know, just PM me here, or send me an email. dirtstories at g mail and i'll hook ya' up with whatever you need. i've actually been thinking about tinkering (in mikesee speak, "thinkering") with laura's casseroll... i bet that thing would be sweet with some tubeless marathon racers on its delgado cross rims rollin' the getto tubeless system. hooboy!! it might end up being the excuse i need to get one for myself (is that an excuse?)... regardless, if i got one it'd definitely be one of the sweet mustard ones like you've got dp.

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkydub
    Finally built up my Salsa Casseroll (another one from Jenson for $289) and took it for a 30 miler test ride on a gorgeous Southern day. Rode really well and no problems - no hands at roughly 25 mph and no wobble. This is my first build - although I had my LBS face headset / bottom bracket. Many thanks for inspiration from Commuter Man/MB1, Dave Hickey and the rest of you Casserollers and Commuters. And, a big thanks to my buddy Andy who has given me tons of input, great ideas and links to numerous cool websites (I hope he likes it).

My intent is to build a "speedy" commuter will all silver componets so I can start commuting to work a few days a month. My commute will be a hilly +/- 12 miles in Atlanta thru neighborhoods and into downtown (not a great commuter ride).

I've dubbed it the "Sushi Casseroll" because I chose mostly Japanese parts: Shimano Ultegra drive train and hubs, long reach brakes, 105 brifters, compact crank (which i intend to replace with something that looks and performs better). The stem (UI-5GX), seat post (N63) and bars (Sobars) are Nitto. Non Japanese parts are Selle San Marco Regal Saddle (anyone know where i can pick one up with nickle/silver rivets???), Mavic Open Pro rims and DT spokes. The tires are Michellin KrylionI 25s but plan to find more commuter friendly 28s. still need to add rear rack and fenders. Bottle cages are from my Litespeed Tuscany so they'll be replaced as well as switching out the Salsa Seat collar from black to silver.
    Super nice build, and great pics. Thanks for sharing those! Hope you're loving your Casseroll.

Cheers,
    MG

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mgersib
    That is an affirmative.
    Thanks, I figured that was a deraleur hanger on there. Now just need to figure out
    the right size frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Casseroll Single

Here's mine. It's a Casseroll Single (complete). I just picked it up last week. The Product Manager on this bike did his/her job very well. So many nice details and great parts specification. By the way, The bike pictured is a 55cm, which translates roughly to a 58cm. I'm 6' 2" and the bike fits great.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gazzatmb
    Here's mine. It's a Casseroll Single (complete). I just picked it up last week. The Product Manager on this bike did his/her job very well. So many nice details and great parts specification. By the way, The bike pictured is a 55cm, which translates roughly to a 58cm. I'm 6' 2" and the bike fits great.
    VERY NICE. Great photo. I've been scouring this site and rbr.com trying to find more
    pics of that baby since I'm now in full blown want. Post up more if you can. For the price and the way that thing is spec'd I think it's a great value. Does the flip flop hub come with a fixie cog? Also,
    has anyone gotten theirs from EMS?

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by nucmedjim
    Thanks, I figured that was a deraleur hanger on there. Now just need to figure out
    the right size frame.
    No problem! What size traditional (non-sloping) road bike would you typically ride? Salsa says to take the size you'd ride and subtract 3cm (so if you'd ride a 58cm "standard" frame, you'd ride a 55cm Casseroll). That's how I sized up my La Cruz and Chili Con Crosso 'cross frames, and it worked out perfect.

For a Casseroll, I'd think about trying a 57cm however, because I'm right on the cusp of needing a 60cm on a standard road frame. The thinking is that I'd go with a little larger frame for the strictly road frame, but hopefully it wouldn't end up seeming too large. It's a little bit of a gamble since the 55s have worked out so well for me on the 'cross bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hi nucmedjim. No, a fixed cog (and lock ring) does not come with the complete bike. But you can just pick up a cog and lock ring from Surly; that's what I did. (I love their products.) I bought this bike from my Local Bike Shop (LBS). I like doing business with them and I believe that we should support our LBS' whenever we can. You can order your Salsa through your LBS. Virtually all shops have a dealer account with Quality Bicycle Products (QBP). I don't think the Salsa Casseroll Single complete is in the 2008 QBP catalog (NB: I could be wrong), but all your shop needs to do is call them; they have them in stock.

Pull the trigger on this bike. It's a great deal and I seriously doubt you will regret it. There are just so many things that you can do with this frame.

Enjoy (more pics below).

mtbr member
    Awesome. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mgersib
    No problem! What size traditional (non-sloping) road bike would you typically ride?
    Well, my LBS sized me up for 51cm and it's currently on order to be ready by
    the end of this week!!!!!!! Ohhh yes I'm excited!!! Will post pics when the oven timer
    goes off.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I am getting ready to switch cranksets over from my XTR triple to an Ultegra double(6500) that uses the octalink BB, does anyone know what axle length BB to use?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    If my memory serves me correctly you will want a 109.5 BB - from what I have read and seen the Casseroll should have clearance for usual chainline with this crankset.

banned

Here's mine that I rode the parkway on this year

great bike and really comfortable. Here she is fully loaded and on her way back south to NC from VA. Had a great time and really enjoyed my 'roll.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Very nice looking bike, and set-up. What panniers are you using? They look like Rivendell panniers, but appears to be a darker canvas than my seat bag from them.

banned
    They are actually Frost River. I got them off ebay directly from the maker. I got the waxed canvas handlebar bag, seat bag, and panniers from him. Nice stuff but I had to add a hard panel to the inside of the panniers to avoid them possibly getting into the spokes. Check out their stuff, they are of the same quality as Rivendell but a good bit cheaper.

http://www.frostriver.com/bike_bags/hwy1_panniers.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Anyone know why the Single Complete is spec'd with 700X37 tires if you need a 32 to run fenders?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Nice. I'm always amazed at how much better the Salsa paint looks in good light and close up. IMHO Salsa and QBP have ever been able to capture the unique qualities of the paint in their photos. I guess that's why we all enjoy seeing our rides here on MTBR. Keep 'em coming. Good stuff.
    Former XXC Mag publisher (re)turned amateur bike blogger at The Soiled Chamois.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Figure I should post mine too. 59cm ginger beer frame and fork, ended up as a scorcher-ish fixed gear. The geometry is great for flared drops like the midge (my favorite!), with that low bb and tall headtube. Keeps me loose and pedaling on those long rides. 28mm Pasela's currently, think I'll try something fatter and knobbier next.

Great job, salsa!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    PMan, Is the painted stem that matches the single speed available as an option if a longer stem is needed?

mtbr member

More Casseroll time

We had a nice warm fall day and got out and about. I was able to get a little time in on some of the local bootleg atv trails along the river. My wife caught us going and coming.

Going from
    Last edited by bd.sahib; 11-01-2008 at 03:14 PM.
    I am the king of the Echo People

mtbr member
    The other

coming from
    I am the king of the Echo People

Harmonius Wrench
    Nice vids there b.d.! I think your casseroll spends more time in dirt than it was designed for, but I know you really like that rig!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JayTee705
    Anyone know why the Single Complete is spec'd with 700X37 tires if you need a 32 to run fenders?

Don't know but I think it's a mistake. I can't imagine that anyone really wants to ride 37c tires on this bike. I know the 37's will be the first thing to go when mine finally arrives (has been backordered for almost two months now).

I ordered the singlespeed because I liked the color better. I will likely switch it to a 1x9, though I could ride it fixed, since my current fixie doesn't have fender capability.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast