Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

New Sushi Casseroll on the Table

Finally built up my Salsa Casseroll (another one from Jenson for $289) and took it for a 30 miler test ride on a gorgeous Southern day. Rode really well and no problems - no hands at roughly 25 mph and no wobble. This is my first build - although I had my LBS face headset / bottom bracket. Many thanks for inspiration from Commuter Man/MB1, Dave Hickey and the rest of you Casserollers and Commuters. And, a big thanks to my buddy Andy who has given me tons of input, great ideas and links to numerous cool websites (I hope he likes it).

My intent is to build a "speedy" commuter will all silver componets so I can start commuting to work a few days a month. My commute will be a hilly +/- 12 miles in Atlanta thru neighborhoods and into downtown (not a great commuter ride).

I've dubbed it the "Sushi Casseroll" because I chose mostly Japanese parts: Shimano Ultegra drive train and hubs, long reach brakes, 105 brifters, compact crank (which i intend to replace with something that looks and performs better). The stem (UI-5GX), seat post (N63) and bars (Sobars) are Nitto. Non Japanese parts are Selle San Marco Regal Saddle (anyone know where i can pick one up with nickle/silver rivets???), Mavic Open Pro rims and DT spokes. The tires are Michellin KrylionI 25s but plan to find more commuter friendly 28s. still need to add rear rack and fenders. Bottle cages are from my Litespeed Tuscany so they'll be replaced as well as switching out the Salsa Seat collar from black to silver.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

xtracycle?

Has anyone considered adding an xtracycle to their Casseroll? Thinking about adding one to mine for a little more versatility in running errends, getting groceries, etc. and don't really want to build up an entire new bike to do so(the Surly Big Stupid does look cool though!). I think the ultimate would be to put the bike rack option on the xtracycle, then ues it to ride/tour to cool MTB trails while hauling my singlespeed and some camping gear!
    Last edited by skidmark; 03-17-2008 at 11:09 AM.
    You COULD do it on a geared bike, but I wouldn't reccomend it!

Derailleurs are for failures!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Hey there Skidmark, Joe Meiser here, designer for Salsa Cycles and the Casseroll dropouts. I have to say that I would recommend against attaching an Xtracycle to the Casseroll. I'm flattered that you would choose it as a potential candidate, but wouldn't advise it. Here's why, the tube specification on the Casseroll is not suited to handle the additional torsion that an Xtracycle add on would add. The frame wouldn't fail immediately, but it wouldn't handle well at all with any load whatsoever. it would be an absolute noodle to say the least.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Glad I posted here first! Nothing like getting feedback straight from the designer. I apreciate it. Guess I'll look into the surly. I could always use another bike I suppose.
    You COULD do it on a geared bike, but I wouldn't reccomend it!

Derailleurs are for failures!

bike geek
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    Guess I'll look into the surly. I could always use another bike I suppose.
    Gonna be listing my 56cm Cross Check for sale soon. If that's your size, and you're interested, I'd be happy to provide the build specs. Complete or just f&f.

PS to the mods...I will buy an ad regardless.

mtbr member

dropouts

Joe, any chance you'll make those dropouts available to aftermarket builders? It's basically everything I want (in a dropout, at least): long, forward facing opening, derailer hanger, eyelets, polished clamp surfaces... You did a great job on this one.

Of course, I just ordered a custom frame last year, so I'm not due for a while, but someday....

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by JMKM
    Hey there Skidmark, Joe Meiser here, designer for Salsa Cycles and the Casseroll dropouts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Already available through QBP

Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy
    Joe, any chance you'll make those dropouts available to aftermarket builders? It's basically everything I want (in a dropout, at least): long, forward facing opening, derailer hanger, eyelets, polished clamp surfaces... You did a great job on this one.

Of course, I just ordered a custom frame last year, so I'm not due for a while, but someday....

Eric
    QBP part number FS2307. In stock!

Jason
    Salsa Crew
    My website: Gnat Likes - Bicycles - Photography - Adventure - People
    Disclaimer: I work for Salsa Cycles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy
    Hello all,

What's in your recipe?

Eric D
    Dublin, OH
    Mine's a pretty strait forward road bike. I was going for a classic looking ride that I could commute and bike camp with. I'll probably end up putting more miles on it than my Comotion Espresso this year (which is far racier- but has couplers for travel.) Its just so comfy and suits my style of mostly solo exploration road rides. Looking to put a nice front nitto rack on it with a bag for the digital SLR.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    ATXSS (and other Casserollers): What size is your frame and what's your height/inseam? I am deciding between a Casseroll and a Honky Tonk, and having a tough time figuring out the Casseroll sizing...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Size

Quote Originally Posted by knucklesandwich
    ATXSS (and other Casserollers): What size is your frame and what's your height/inseam? I am deciding between a Casseroll and a Honky Tonk, and having a tough time figuring out the Casseroll sizing...
    I have 94 cm (37") inseam, I'm 6'-4" and have a 59 cm (62 cm traditional) Casseroll.
    Stinky

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Use your desired TT length as a starting point.

Determine your Top Tube length and buy the casseroll with that same TT. The Casseroll has a gentle 3cm slope. Meaning, our 53 has a 56 Top Tube, 55 has a 58 TT, and so on.

Jason
    Salsa Crew
    My website: Gnat Likes - Bicycles - Photography - Adventure - People
    Disclaimer: I work for Salsa Cycles

mtbr member

I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam. I ride the 53cm listed size which is equivalent to a standard 56cm bike. I chose based on the top tube which is I think 56.5 cm on this bike. Fits perfect with the same size stem I've used on other road bikes with similar top tubes.

Keep in mind a distinction of the Casseroll from another road or cross frame you've ridden is the head tubes are refreshingly longer on this bike. I like that I'm not using the same standard 30-50mm of spacers that I put on every other road frame to suit my tastes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Anyone know if you can put the 33mm Jack Brown tires on the Casseroll and still get fenders over them? I really want this bike, and that's the only holdup I have at this instant.

Thanks all for the help. Norton

mtbr member

my Salsa scorcher!

I'm still toying around with my Casseroll, trying to find a nice place for it in my bike "fleet." Here it is post ride Saturday:

Nothing extraordinary, just a mix of new stuff (9 speed) (or is that old by now?) and old (friction down tube shifters). But that was too close to my Gunnar Crosshairs, so I decided on something different:

My inspiration:

To the guy who asked about the Jack Browns: these tires are Hutchinson Acrobats, nominally 38mm wide, but actually about 32 at the casing. I don't think you could fit a fender in there with my brakes (the Tektro long reach).

Eric

mtbr member
    Just stumbled onto this thread trying to poach some DIY tubeless know-how from MG.

Anyway, here's a couple pics of mine gussied up for Dirty Kanza at the end of the month. Couple weight weiner upgrades. CB Opium HS, as it matches the panels, Antique brown Brooks, as it matches the panels. (Pretty much a fashion slave.) WI FW. Phil Ti bb, Moots post, ilink housing, TR WCS stem, Carbon bars. Set up About 64X.Very comfy on longer (>100mls) gravel and double track dirt rides. Very stable, even on ~40mph downhill gravel. Might swap the stock wheels out, might not. Very impressed w/ the Delgado Cross rims, enough to get 4 more for some other projects.

Notice the stock head badge placement?! May have to fix that one with a Gary Fisher sticker.
    dp
    Last edited by bd.sahib; 12-04-2008 at 12:15 PM.

"Mr. Britannica"
    why is the headbadge upside-down?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    why is the headbadge upside-down?
    Not sure. That's the way it came. Doesn't look like it was removed and reattached.

mtbr member

Nice scorcher!

Here's a tip from Wes Williams who may have actually built that Ibis frame you have pictured. He uses big wide cruiser bars (think beach cruiser) flipped and cut slightly shorter to get the big curved bar effect featured on that ibis. Any shop can source you one similar to this.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Does this mean you would advise against ever pulling a BOB trailer or pulling the kids around in a Burley Trailer?? That's horrible to me, why would you not design it with that strength there? Yikes.

Hey there Skidmark, Joe Meiser here, designer for Salsa Cycles and the Casseroll dropouts. I have to say that I would recommend against attaching an Xtracycle to the Casseroll. I'm flattered that you would choose it as a potential candidate, but wouldn't advise it. Here's why, the tube specification on the Casseroll is not suited to handle the additional torsion that an Xtracycle add on would add. The frame wouldn't fail immediately, but it wouldn't handle well at all with any load whatsoever. it would be an absolute noodle to say the least.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    BleepBip,

This does not mean that I would advise against pulling a trailer with the bike. A trailer, attached to the rear triangle or rear axle is very different than bolting an Xtracycle attachment to the bike. You should not be concerned with pulling a trailer behind the Casseroll.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Excellent! Thanks for clarifying that as I am the middle of ordering my frame and build kit. I should be able to post it up sometime next week. I am mostly using 105 components and using my $ on some nice Easton wheels. It should be a speedy little commuter. At least that is the goal. =)

BleepBip,

This does not mean that I would advise against pulling a trailer with the bike. A trailer, attached to the rear triangle or rear axle is very different than bolting an Xtracycle attachment to the bike. You should not be concerned with pulling a trailer behind the Casseroll.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    How does the Casseroll compare to the Gunnar Sport?

I am Bob

commuter

mine

I am Bob

commuter

mine

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast