Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The casserolles are just too versatile. Great looking in any configuration. Post more please!!!

mtbr member

My Super Commuter

Here's my latest. More pics on my blog.

Lot's of Japanese parts on this bike. I've got Honjo fenders too, but didn't have time to mount them before today's ride. I'll share the story on the Salsa blog about the parts along with some Casseroll history sometime in the next week.

Jason
    Salsa Crew
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Adventure by Bike

Check out our blog!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Jason, nice looking ride. I was hoping to get one but missed out on the first shipment. Maybe one from the next shipment, hopefully in March. What size is the bike? Is yours the complete bike with a few changes? Ok, I'll wait for the report on the blog.

bike geek
    Quote Originally Posted by Salsa Cycles

Lot's of Japanese parts on this bike. I've got Honjo fenders too, but didn't have time to mount them before today's ride. I'll share the story on the Salsa blog about the parts along with some Casseroll history sometime in the next week.

Jason
    Salsa Crew
    Looks great Jason! Nice rack. Is that the Surly? One of these days I'll get pics of mine up.

i heart singletrack

Jason
    Salsa Crew
    Ultra hot, my brother. Great story about the genesis of the Casseroll on the Amigos blog too. Thanks for taking the time to post that -- it's a very interesting read.

My wife Laura is loving her Casseroll. I hope to get one of my own at some point, but since I just got a new La Cruz, "at some point" is probably going to have to come sometime later. It sounds like availability is pretty scarce right now anyway, especially on those beautiful mustard yellow frames that I like so much...

I dig your parts selection. Given the bike's lineage, you really kept it true to its roots. Nice work.

Cheers,
    MG

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Casseroll Gets PEZed...

Saw this review the Salsa Casseroll on PEZ Cycling today.
    Check it out HERE.

My fave line- "But perhaps most astounding – was how much ride experience Salsa offers for just US $1540.00 (Damn – that’s less than the last set of wheels I reviewed!)"
    Former XXC Mag publisher (re)turned amateur bike blogger at The Soiled Chamois.

Not really that big!
    Feb 2004
    Hey MG, I need a ride comparison. Ya know I've been dying to get a Chile. So tell me, how does the La Cruz ride compared to the Chile? The one thing holding me back on the La Cruz is that it will cost me more to build with the disc brakes and wheels compared to swapping the parts from my current cross bike over to a Con Crosso. What cha think?
    Just Ridin' Along

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by Big29
    Hey MG, I need a ride comparison. Ya know I've been dying to get a Chile. So tell me, how does the La Cruz ride compared to the Chile? The one thing holding me back on the La Cruz is that it will cost me more to build with the disc brakes and wheels compared to swapping the parts from my current cross bike over to a Con Crosso. What cha think?
    Hey Big29 -- That's a good question. The Chili is definitely lighter, and perhaps a bit plusher, actually. It's a fast, efficient frame, and it's pretty lively for an alloy-based frame, but it's still not steel. When you ride the La Cruz, you're reminded of that fact. I can't put my finger on it any harder than to say it that way. It's not that one is better than the other, it's just that if you're after "the feel of steel," then you're after a La Cruz, not a CCC. If you want an ultra-light bike to whip your riding buddies like gimps, you're after a CCC, not a La Cruz.

The La Cruz defines the contemporary quality steel ride, in a 'cross-style bike, much as the El Mariachi defines the breed for a mountain bike, in my mind. It's not ultra light-weight, but it's got the balance thing dialed to 11. It's confident in any situation, road to moderately technical off-road.

If you've already got wheels to go on a Con Crosso frame, it probably makes the decision a little easier... perhaps. That said, keep in mind the Con Crosso doesn't come with a fork, where the La Cruz frameset does, so you don't have a fork to buy with a La Cruz. You'll have more money for wheels that way... Personally, I prefer discs in every situation.

That said, I'm not getting rid of my Con Crosso -- NO WAY!! I'm keeping 'em both, because I race in the old guys class in 'cross, which isn't a UCI class, so I can run discs. That means I can have both my CCC and my La Cruz ready for 'cross racin' action. Regardless of which bike I'm riding, I've got an awesome bike ready in the pits!!

I love both bikes... If you forced me to choose one, I'd just laugh and tell you that it's a good thing I don't really have to choose!

mtbr member
    Actually...(don't mean to step on your toes or anything Mr. Gersib) but the new 2008 Chili Con Crosso actually does include the fork. Retail pricing will of course be a bit more than last year because of this, but still way cheaper than sourcing one after market...and...it will be in a hot matching graphic scheme courtesy of Alpha Q! Check it out here:

http://www.salsacycles.com/chiliconcrosso08.html

Bobby
    Salsa Cycles
    Adventure by Bike

Check out our blog!

i heart singletrack
    Actually...(don't mean to step on your toes or anything Mr. Gersib) but the new 2008 Chili Con Crosso actually does include the fork. Retail pricing will of course be a bit more than last year because of this, but still way cheaper than sourcing one after market...and...it will be in a hot matching graphic scheme courtesy of Alpha Q! Check it out here:

http://www.salsacycles.com/chiliconcrosso08.html

Bobby
    Salsa Cycles
    Very sweet indeed... You did it up right! Thanks for the correction Bobby -- I certainly take no offense. I just hadn't seen the change in spec '07 vs. '08. My bad. You chose the exact right fork for that frame though, as the character of the Alpha Q fork matches the compliance of the rear end perfectly.

So Big-29, now the choice becomes a bit tougher... but I think if you're primarily buying a racing bike, go CCC. If you're buying more of an 'all-arounder,' to commute on, hit gravel roads, maybe put racks and fenders on and do some touring on, I'd lean more towards the La Cruz.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Here is my little commuter's photo.
    Mine has shimano wh500 wheel and panaracer pacera 28mm now.
    equipped with MINOURA rear rack. The parts were transplanted from my crashed panasonic bike. ( When I had no bike after crash, I saw nice little caseroll frame hanging in my LBS. )

Do anybody kindly recommend most comfy tire and wheel (or rim )
    for caseroll of suburban commuter ? I'd rather use slightly plump ones.
    The road pavement a litlle rough surface here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Onigiri,

Joe Meiser here, one of the designers for the Casseroll frame. I would suggest either 28 or 32c tires for your Casseroll. I have two Casseroll's, one setup as a geared 2x10 commuter with rack and fenders, one setup as a fixed gear with rack and fenders. My favorite tires for a durable comfortable road tire are the Schwalbe Stelvio 28's. They are very supple with 100 psi in them, handle well, and are very durable. My first set of Stelvio's were 23's. I put them on a fixed gear and got close to 3000 miles out of them. When those wore out I bought 28's and have been riding them for 2+ seasons, year round here in Minnesota. My second favorite tire is the Panaracer T-Serv. I bought a set of these when we first recieved sample Casseroll frames. The rear one finally wore through the tread and I had to replace it after the sidewall was slashed by some road debris. I did ride it with a dollar bill reinforcing the slashed area for a week before I replaced it. The front has not been replaced in 3 years and has about 5000 miles on it.

It is good to hear that you Love your Casseroll, it looks like a great build!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Joe,
    Thank you for the suggestion. How tough those tires are !

I love this bike well. I'm happy to hear from designer.
    In the cold, strong northern wind, sometimes riding is like sailing,

mtbr member

new bars

Hey all,

I wanted to check in and show you my latest Casseroll. The build I had shown in post #1 gave me quite a back ache after an hours ride. I'm just getting too old (35) for those low down bars. So, after a couple of stem and bar changes, I think I've achieved comfort:

A 48cm Nitto Noodle with an uncut steerer tube and a shorter stem with some rise (I'm going for the highest bar award). It's been miserably cold and dark here to get much riding in, but it feels good on my short jaunts. Maybe this weekend I'll finally be able to get out for a longer ride.

Next up: A Brooks B17N and possibly... gears. I haven't ridden a geared bike in quite a while, but I'm feeling a temptation for a down tube shifter and a 1x9 setup. Maybe even try to get it to index, if my old worn parts will allow that.

Eric

bike geek
    Finally got some decent photos of mine...this mostly serves as my commuter, but I have taken it out on a couple fast 30+ mile hilly road rides too and been very pleased.

Set up with full SRAM Rival (love it) save for the long reach Tektro brakes, Phil Wood/Open Pro wheelset, various King/Thomson bits, etc. I just threw the SDG saddle on the other day after nabbing the Storika that it was wearing for my "weekend" road bike. Not sure if the tiger print really suits the bike, but it sure is comfy!!

Anyway, here are the pics.

mtbr member
    Very nice! I really like my La Raza, but the thought of a Casseroll with Rival just like yours is really starting to take hold.

I do have a silly question, though: do the fenders slow you down any? I've always wondered about that.

JJ

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Good looking.
    I also set handle bar higher by 2 cm than before, and I feel better with it on commuting.

bike geek
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJ
    Very nice! I really like my La Raza, but the thought of a Casseroll with Rival just like yours is really starting to take hold.

I do have a silly question, though: do the fenders slow you down any? I've always wondered about that.

JJ
    I have always used little clip on fenders in the past, which were very mediocre, so this is my first bike with full fenders, and they rock in the wet weather! Do they slow me down? Nah. Will they come off once our rainy season ends? Yes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Jason,
    Are you still looking for the next shipment of SS Casserolls to land late March, in a 51 or 53?

mtbr member

Late March or Early April

Quote Originally Posted by black cross
    Jason,
    Are you still looking for the next shipment of SS Casserolls to land late March, in a 51 or 53?
    Still awaiting final shipping notification, but so far I expect them the last week of March or 1st week of April. Both sizes. Good quantity and stock. I'll update this thread if anything changes.

Jason
    Adventure by Bike

Check out our blog!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tamjam
    I have always used little clip on fenders in the past, which were very mediocre, so this is my first bike with full fenders, and they rock in the wet weather! Do they slow me down? Nah. Will they come off once our rainy season ends? Yes.
    Cool. So is this also your "go fast" bike, or do you just ride it for fun/commuting?

JJ

bike geek
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJ
    Cool. So is this also your "go fast" bike, or do you just ride it for fun/commuting?

JJ
    Mostly commuting. It was also my "go fast" bike until I got something else to fill that niche recently.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Jason,

I'm just wondering if you have ever weighed a complete 59cm Casseroll w/ gears. I'm clyde so weight isn't that big of a deal, but I'm more curious than anything.

mtbr member
    Any thoughts on frame size? I am ordering a SS complete but don't have any frames to sit on. I'm 6'2" tall with a 85cm inseam. Can't decide between a 55cm or 57cm frame...looks like the 57cm would have a standover height that would be a bit high.

mtbr member
    Standover isn't too bad on these frame, since they're a compact (semi-compact?) design. I'd go more by top tube length. These seem to run a bit long. I'm 6'3" with a 57 cm. That has a 60cm top tube, which is just a bit long for me. I have to run an 85mm or so stem to make it work.

Eric

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast