mtbr member
    May 2014

Salsa Blackborow Fat Bike announced

Details here.

Looks like its a more backpacking/expedition oriented fat bike.

Blackborow was the stowaway on the Shackleton expedition. If you haven't read about that story, its definitely worth checking out. Crazy stuff.

Human Test Subject
    dual Lous? Ouch.

Birthday Collector
    Got a really good, unintentionally long, ride in on the Blackborow Dinglespeed this morning. This handles really well - feels much different than the Mukluk or Beargrease (which I like) as the geo was designed around 5" tires and more for trail/soft conditions (not necessarily snow), bushwhacking, etc.... The low gear on the dingle was great for climbing the trails here (not acclimated at all) and with these tires you could stand and power up anything. Liking this bike. Will try to get on the geared version tomorrow if there is time, but Bucksaw time is my main priority tomorrow!
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ATBScott View Post
    Got a really good, unintentionally long, ride in on the Blackborow Dinglespeed this morning. This handles really well - feels much different than the Mukluk or Beargrease (which I like) as the geo was designed around 5" tires and more for trail/soft conditions (not necessarily snow), bushwhacking, etc.... !
    Actually it has the same exact short 440mm chainstays and TT length as the Beargrease. BB drop and ST angle are identical also. The HT is 1d steeper however.

That Dingle is my next bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas View Post
    Im in the same boat with this bike. Sharp.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas View Post
    Actually it has the same exact short 440mm chainstays and TT length as the Beargrease. BB drop and ST angle are identical also. The HT is 1d steeper however.

HT is 69.5 only 0.5 less than 2011 Muk which over steers a lot with Clown/Bud. So steeper may be good.

Wheelbase and effective chainstay longer with alternators: whippy rear end?

Short head tube and much longer fork: no gusset for XL? Same height for front end and upright position?

Longer TT than Muk: means shorter stem which changes handling?

Kinda moot though. With Lous on the front, this ain't gonna roll fast on the flats.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    twin buds would make more sense than twin lous

Harmonius Wrench

Blackborow DS Feedback

Salsa Blackborow Fat Bike announced-pc260006.jpg

I've had my Blackborow DS for a month now. I, like others, thought this;
    With Lous on the front, this ain't gonna roll fast on the flats.
    However; from the first ride, I was amazed at just how well the bike coasted. Rolling resistance seemed to be far less than some narrower fat bike tires I have tried, (Larry 27TPI w/tubes, Sterlings tubed and tubeless), and that was very surprising. So, for those wondering if a Lou/Lou combo is a bad thing, I would say that it isn't. Common sense would tell you that a 100mm rim/4.8 tire combination would be sluggish and feel like dragging an anchor. It doesn't feel nearly as bad as you might think. In fact, it ain't all that bad at all.

Salsa Blackborow Fat Bike announced-pb260014.jpg

Snow riding has not been really tested yet. We had a skiff of snow just after I got the bike and since then it has melted. However, on sand, mud, and over woodland duff the bike is what you might imagine, easy to pedal and stable.

Overall, Salsa has made the wheel base shorter than a Mukluk, (My son's XS Muk has a longer wheel base than my L Blackborow DS does by a few millimeters), and the bike responds well to pedal kicks and snaps around corners much better than my two older Mukluks do.

Salsa Blackborow Fat Bike announced-pb250007.jpg

The DS part is great for my intentions and in practice, it works perfectly. Switching the gear manually only requires dropping the wheel slightly and putting the chain on whatever combo you want, then replacing the wheel. With the rear through axle, your wheel placement is dead on and no brake issues have been experienced. It takes less than a minute to do once you get the hang of it.

In the future I want to do the following-

• Set the tires up tubeless
    • Get a Bluto fork for Summer riding
    • Put a 10 speed rear gearing set up on it with a rear only shifter for Summer riding in hilly terrain

This bike handles better than Mukluks do and is more wide ranging due to its ability to handle the biggest rims and tires along with direct compatibility with Rock Shox's Bluto fork. (No mods to wheel necessary, it goes right in a Bluto fork as is.)

It does have a bit wider BB and I can feel that, but it doesn't bother me to the point I can not ride as much as I want. The other thing I don't like is that the front brake routing cable guide which is a metal clip that screws onto the inside of the fork blade. It clogs up with mud and snow easily on that side due to that placement and if you do any maintenance to the line you have to remove the wheel to get at the screw that holds the clip in. A minor annoyance, but the clearance issue is there and it does cause crap to build up right where you don't want it too.

Otherwise, I like the Blackborow a lot. The best fat bike I've had so far hands down.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com