mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Salsa 3 SS Hub Help

Hello. I have a 2013 SS El Mar and my rear hub is sounding very crunchy and I'm gonna have to take it apart. Can anybody point me to any technical info or give a run down of a rebuild on this hub. It's a formula hub but looking at the formula site I couldn't tell which one. I'm a noob so any help would be really appreciated. Thanx.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    It is probably the DC-42 or 52. the 52 is sealed bearing, and the 42 is likely caged or loose bearing.

are you saying the axle rolling on the bearings sounds crunchy, or that the freewheel is sounding crunchy?

If it is the FW assembly - your bike shop can get you a new one and installed. Might require a full hub teardown anyway.

If it is the bearings, first you need to know if you're rebuilding loose balls, caged balls, or sealed bearings. From the descriptions I found on the formula website above - one is sealed and one is not most likely. Without having the hub in my hand and taking it apart, I couldn't tell you. Some sealed bearing hubs seem to have cones and races just like normal caged bearings do - until you take them apart.

If you're not super experienced with rebuilding hubs, you might want to let a shop handle it for you. Plus they should have correct size new loose bearings if needed (no good reason not to put fresh bearings in, since you'll have it all apart anyway), and the right cone wrenches for readjusting the axle when reassembling.

If it is sealed bearings crunching up on you - it is easier, and potentially harder in some cases. Typically bearings are common parts than can be sourced at local bearing houses in most cities - but removing and having them pressed into the hub body requires special tools sometimes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Well. I took my bike to the shop and they figured out it was my chain. Mechanic put another spacer in back to tweak the chainline and the noise is gone. The hub is fine and the bike is running great. I called Salsa and they were cool but It was above my head so I went to the shop Thank God. Weird though, because it sounded like a hub problem. I really like the El Mariachi, super nice feeling bike, right from the first ride, very glad to have it. I did find out it's a sealed bearing hub though and it's working fine.

Birthday Collector
    Any time you have a new (or even new-ish) shop-bought bike that has problems - take it back there! That's what your shop is for - esp for items that are still under warranty if that is the ultimate solution for the problem. I've had one of the older sealed-bearing Formula hubs on my SS for about 7 years now. It's heavy, but been absolutely bullet-proof. Glad you had a simple fix.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hey guy thanx for the response and advice. Thanx for a good shop too. Good to hear about the Formula hub cause I'm puttin some miles on it. Diggin the El Mar.