WNC Native

Salsa 29+, Is anyone else wondering if it's going to happen?

I'm kinda thinking we will see Salsa do a AL 29+ bike sometime in the near future with how well the Surly Krampus is doing. Anyone heard any teasers?

For now I'm going to work toward building a 29+ wheelset for my Mukluk.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    The 2014 Salsa line up is out and no 29+ bike. Seeing one for 2015 seems reasonable.

The people with Krampi [including myself] like them a lot, but it's not clear what the total numbers are. There may not be that many out there.

It's also not clear once the initial frenzy dies down if there is enough interest from the wider MTB community in paying a premium for 29+ bikes vs. the much lower cost for a "normal" 29er.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    whats a 29+ ?

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by shreddr View Post
    whats a 29+ ?
    Look up the Surly Krampus, 50mm wide 29er rims with a true 29x3.0 tire that measures out right at 30.5" diameter. Basically a larger volume 29er setup. Kinda the mix between a fat bike and a 29er, but leaning closer to the 29er.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I had 3" Specialized Ground Control tires on my Yeti Ultimate back in the late 80's. I remember thinking it was the hot setup, like having 1" of travel at each end with a rigid bike! That was until I rode it in the mud the first time and both wheels stopped rolling, but the frame wasn't designed for those widths. I am a big fn of rigid single speed so I would appreciate the added cush, but part of the RSS riding experience is charging up little rises, and if the bigger tires slow it down (which they obviously would) then I might like it less than going with a light high volume tire (racing Ralph?)

WNC Native
    Weight actually isn't too bad considering. The Surly Rabbit Hole rims are 650-670 grams. The 29x3.0 Knard tires are around 970-990 grams for the 120 TPI and north of 1200 grams for the cheaper 27 TPI. They have a 29x 2.75 Dirt Wizard tire coming also. Schlick has a 47mm 29" Northpaw rim (640 grams) and Velocity has their 45 Dually rim coming as well.

Harmonius Wrench

29+ Compatible.....maybe.

I don't see an outright 29+ bike from Salsa. Maybe a 29+ compatible bike though, and only if the 29+ thing begins to take off.

For instance, I could totally see Salsa designing a bike that interchanges 29+ and fat bike wheels for a summer/winter do it all versatile bike. The Mukluk is pretty close to this already as it is.

In fact, when some of the newer carbon and suspension fat bike forks come out, I am going to use my titanium Mukluk in this exact way. Decide on a fork and use 700c Dually rims and Knard or Dirt Wizard tires in Spring, Summer, and Fall with my fat bike wheels taking over in Winter, or during times things get wet and mucky here.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    For instance, I could totally see Salsa designing a bike that interchanges 29+ and fat bike wheels for a summer/winter do it all versatile bike. The Mukluk is pretty close to this already as it is.
    The 2013-2014 Muk IS that already and I guess that kinda back up your statement in a way. They already have a bike that is interchangeable. Consider the BB height of a Muk with a 29+ wheelset, then look at the geometry numbers. There really isn't much difference between the geometry on the Krampus and 2013-2014 Muks.

I think some company is going to sell an AL 29+ specific frame/bike like hot cakes, just figured with Salsa having their QBP ties with Surly that it might be them. With the increased tire volume the "ride" feel of the frame material becomes less as important IMHO. Weight will play a factor in a lot of peoples eyes when it comes to the 29+ game. Someone will do it and I think they will sell a bunch of them.

Just my .02

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    The 2013-2014 Muk IS that already.......
    It is, but it isn't, because you have the 170mm/135mm hubs that are proprietary to the Muk format. The Krampus/ECR format uses "standard" hubs, cranks, bottom brackets, so you have an easier time building up that frame and the user experience is not hindered by the wide "Q" factor. (Doesn't bother me, but for others, I am thinking it might)

But I agree with you- Someone will stand to reap some sales based on a stiff frame with the correct geometry. However; I will say that at least I can tell the difference in frame feel when I compare my alu Muk to my Ti one. The titanium does feel smoother, even against my BFL/alu Muk set up. Wouldn't have called that one myself, but it is definitely there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Even if 29+, 26+ and fatbikes are niches, Salsa and Surly, which belong both to QBP, seem to earn enough money with them - so we should not be afraid theses types of bikes suddenly disappear in the near future.

Physics says that bigger tires have a lower rolling resistance offroad - but there is still this "speed thing" in the heads of most mountainbikers. XC and endurance bikes came up from 1,9" to 2,2" standard tire width since the early nineties - but if one prays "big is better" this is not a really big improvement.

If on tries a bike which is nimble and can be accelerated quickly he thinks this must be a really fast bike. But this is only half the truth. With bigger tires like 29+ the acceleration from the start is a little lower but the bike keeps the momentum better and if the course doesn't only have small curves this bike will be the faster bike in many cases. Because an endurance race is not a BMX track

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It is, but it isn't, because you have the 170mm/135mm hubs that are proprietary to the Muk format. The Krampus/ECR format uses "standard" hubs, cranks, bottom brackets, so you have an easier time building up that frame and the user experience is not hindered by the wide "Q" factor. (Doesn't bother me, but for others, I am thinking it might)
    Salsa says the Beargrease Carbon will work with 29+ wheels. With its geometry and a suspension fork I think that would be an awesome setup. Unfortunately it would also be crazy expensive.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuanswan View Post
    Salsa says the Beargrease Carbon will work with 29+ wheels. With its geometry and a suspension fork I think that would be an awesome setup. Unfortunately it would also be crazy expensive.
    And it would require proprietary through axle hubs. Probably not immediately available form Salsa.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Building 29+ wheels for my carbon Beargrease. Quiver killer!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

My 29+ Mukluk

My 29+ on a 2014 Mukluk. Rabbit Hole wheels, 29X3.0 Knards. Just slid the Alternator dropouts back to the midway position. Plenty of clearance everywhere.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salsa 29+, Is anyone else wondering if it's going to happen?-img_0500.jpg  

Salsa 29+, Is anyone else wondering if it's going to happen?-img_0524.jpg  

Salsa 29+, Is anyone else wondering if it's going to happen?-img_0512.jpg  

Salsa 29+, Is anyone else wondering if it's going to happen?-img_0510.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Very Cool!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I also wondered if I just ought to just buy another bike like a Krampus or Ogre but in the end, this was less expensive and I already have enough bikes (I say that today, tomorrow is another story.)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

But I agree with you- Someone will stand to reap some sales based on a stiff frame with the correct geometry. However; I will say that at least I can tell the difference in frame feel when I compare my alu Muk to my Ti one. The titanium does feel smoother, even against my BFL/alu Muk set up. Wouldn't have called that one myself, but it is definitely there.
    Hay Ted have you had any time on the Krampus if you did how did you like it compared to the mukluk with 29er+ wheels. I have the 2014 mukluk 2 and I'm thinking of building up a 29+ wheel set for it but I'm liking the Krampus maybe it's just I want another bike and that's all . Would the narrower hubs on a Krampus build have less flex in the wheels, I would love to see a Salsa El Mar 29er + Thanks.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by idinomac View Post
    Hay Ted have you had any time on the Krampus if you did how did you like it compared to the mukluk with 29er+ wheels. I have the 2014 mukluk 2 and I'm thinking of building up a 29+ wheel set for it but I'm liking the Krampus maybe it's just I want another bike and that's all . Would the narrower hubs on a Krampus build have less flex in the wheels, I would love to see a Salsa El Mar 29er + Thanks.
    The Krampus is way more "playful" and trail bike in feel. The Muk is a bit more sedate and feels a bit "longer" in corners, etc. I have also thrown a leg over a Singular Rooster 29+ and it is the best of the lot so far. Not as "trail bikish" as the Krampus, but not near as touring bike-like as a Muk. I am exaggerating for effect, but hopefully you get what I mean.