Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

RS Forks for Spearfish

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  going29AZ 
#1 ·
Got a SF frame on the way - I've 2 sets of 29er forks, one to go on this one must be sold.

2012 RS Reba RL 100mm 15mm straight steerer with poplock

or

2011/12 RS Reba RL 120 20mm tapered with poplock

The 100mm Rebas are only 5 rides old; the 120mm ones can obviously be dropped to 100mm and are in vgc.

I'm leaning towards fitting the tapered, but will the others be lighter?

#2 ·
I'd lean more towards which one fits your current hubs better - unless of course, you have the adapters to go to 20mm easily accessible...

So - I doubt the weight will vary that much - maybe couple of ounces for comparable Reba RL models...? If you are riding the bike hard enough that you think a tapered, 120mm/20mm fork is absolutely needed - maybe you might want to consider a Horsethief instead!

#3 ·
Go with tapered 20mm. This bike hauls ass downhill and you'll want all the steering stiffness you can get. Steering speed feels great at 100mm, but I could see 120mm working fine, without being slow. Point is having the option is smart. For me, these benefits "outweigh" the slight negative of the extra mass.

#5 ·
My 11 SF has the Reba RL with the standard QR. I recently extended the travel to 120 and its like a different bike now. Handles east coast singletrack with ease, but the technical trails and rocky rooty downhills are SO much more fun. I cant feel any flex either.

When I first got the bike, I had trouble riding the steep technical downhills without feeling like I was always going over the bars. I even tried using 2.3 tires front and rear. But I always ended up skidding down the steeps, from having too much weight up front.

Extending the fork travel changed all that. It must have slackened the front end just enough.
I'm even back to using the 2.1 tires and still feeling confident.

Tom

#6 ·
Anybody know if putting a 120mm on the SF will have any warranty issues? I heard a rumour that there was head tube cracking problems. Can someone please squash those nasty rumours. I think a 120mm would add a bit of fun to a already fun frame! Brown Santa just brought my 2012 Green Machine, trying to figure which way to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.