get down!

Round up time! Post pics of your Horsethief

I just ordered a 2012 closeout Horsethief. My first full suspension bike ever.

Please post up pictures of your Horsethiefs. 2012 or 2013. Actions shots or leaning bike pics. I've been perusing Google images and I'm looking for some newness!

Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

get down!

mtbr member
    2012 Horsethief! Fantastic deal from Big Kahuna cycles in Colorado. Best shopping experience online. Chris from Big Kahuna answered all my questions fast, treated me like a long time customer! Mods are MRP 2X, forte carbon bar, specialized phenom saddle, tubless conversion. I have a rockshox reverb on order.

Last edited by giantdefy; 10-08-2012 at 05:21 PM.

AOK
    mtbr member
    Looks like there are some good deals for the '12 model right now. So tempting... especially since I much prefer the color scheme of the '12 to the various '13 models.

get down!
    Looks great! Size small? Love that there is no brace. I have a large on the way from Universal. Already plotting my changes to the stock build.

Thanks for posting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    Looks like there are some good deals for the '12 model right now. So tempting... especially since I much prefer the color scheme of the '12 to the various '13 models.
    Saving $1000 over the 13' model is a lot! Plus the only difference besides color is the reshaped downtube to accept a water bottle. I haven't used a water bottle on a mountain bike in over 10 years! Camel bak is the way to go!
    The Twister gray on the 12' horsethief looks more like army green, super cool!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have a medium on the way as well. I'll post up pics when it comes in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by giantdefy View Post
    Saving $1000 over the 13' model is a lot! Plus the only difference besides color is the reshaped downtube to accept a water bottle. I haven't used a water bottle on a mountain bike in over 10 years! Camel bak is the way to go!
    The Twister gray on the 12' horsethief looks more like army green, super cool!
    Lets hear a review. How tall are you? How does it climb? How does it descend? Also, how are the stock contienental's and did you run them tubeless right away?

Great looking bike. I can't wait to get mine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

mtbr member
    The tires work, but feel heavy along with the wheels. I have a new set of tires on order that are close to a pound lighter for the set. Waiting on the new Williams cycling 29er wheelset that claims to be around 1559 grams, much lighter than the stock Stans Flow weighing in at 1980 grams. wheel and tire combo should improve the ride, feel and responsiveness of the bike. Bike already feels super nimble and lighter than what the scale says, but just trying to squeeze more performance out of it if you know what i mean. My previous 29er weighs 24lbs which made it easy to throw around or climb. This rig weighs 30lbs with pedals and minor mods I have. Im 5'7" / 162lbs riding a size small. My inseem is 30inch, but the top tube is high and is right at my crotch area with both feet on the ground, but doesnt bother me since whenever I dismount the saddle to stop, one foot is always on the pedal giving me plenty of top tube room to stand over. Other than that, bike fits perfectly while riding.

FYI: Bike did not come with chain stay guard/tape or the rock guard shown in the stock photos. Im glad it did not come with the rock guard coz i wanted to add a MRP 2X chain guide. Also used a old tire tube to wrap around the chain stay.

This is my review from MTBR, I just did a cut and paste:

Totally loving the salsa horsethief! I bought this to replace my stumpjumper hardtail 29er. After experiencing backpain due to no rear suspension and 90mm of front travel on the stumpy, it was time for an upgrade! I debated over the spearfish and horsethief. Do I want lighter weight or more travel? Decided that more travel would be better for the type of trails I ride. The trails I ride at Annadel state park in norhtern California are one the roughest and rockiest trails Ive been on; the Horsethief is the weapon of choice for these type of trails!

Purchased a small and weighed in at 29.49lbs without pedals. I mail ordered mine from Big Kahuna Cycles in Colorado. Communication with these folks is one of the best experiences you can have over the internet. Chirs of Kahuna cycles answered all my email questions fast, and is extremely helpful, treated me like I was a long time customer.
    I wasnt too excited about the color, but with the large discount that Big Kahuna cycles is offering on these 2012 models, it was hard not to say no to this fantastic deal. Once I got the bike, assembly was easy, and to my surprise, the color looks way better in person. Reminds me of the olive drab color that the military uses. Im totally loving this color!

Switched to tubeless immediately. The stans no tubes wheelset is a breeze to setup. This wheelset did not come with stans tape, so I had to install the tape myself. Removed the tubes, added tubeless tire valves and two scoops of stans tubeless fluid per wheel. inflated it with a standard floor pump and it inflated immediately, no drama whatsoever, no need to use a air compressor.

The Horsethief climbs way better than expected. Ive read complaints of too much bob when climbing hills, but it has less bob than my 2008 specialized stumpjumper FS. If your a steady climber, there will be minimal rear shock compression when the shock switch is in full open. Access to the Pro pedal switch is easy if you want to sprint uphill. Front end feels heavy when climbing, otherwise it still climbs like a mountain goat! Im guessing its due to the heavy wheelset and tires. Wheels and tires on my xmas list!

Flying downhill is a blast on this machine! Front end is smooth over extreme rocky terrain, rear end suspension does a fantastic job of smoothing out the roughest trails! Rear does feel a little stiffer than the front, but should be remedied with a little suspension tweaking. The Horsethief has cleared every rocky section I can throw this bike at without bottoming out or the crank hitting rocks, a problem I had with my 10' specialized stumpy 29er HT. Control on the bike is very nimble through technical single track, bike just goes where you point it! No issues with the slightly longer wheelbase. The guys at Salsa hit a home run on this bike!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by giantdefy View Post
    The tires work, but feel heavy along with the wheels. I have a new set of tires on order that are close to a pound lighter for the set. Waiting on the new Williams cycling 29er wheelset that claims to be around 1559 grams, much lighter than the stock Stans Flow weighing in at 1980 grams. wheel and tire combo should improve the ride, feel and responsiveness of the bike. Bike already feels super nimble and lighter than what the scale says, but just trying to squeeze more performance out of it if you know what i mean. My previous 29er weighs 24lbs which made it easy to throw around or climb. This rig weighs 30lbs with pedals and minor mods I have. Im 5'7" / 162lbs riding a size small. My inseem is 30inch, but the top tube is high and is right at my crotch area with both feet on the ground, but doesnt bother me since whenever I dismount the saddle to stop, one foot is always on the pedal giving me plenty of top tube room to stand over. Other than that, bike fits perfectly while riding.

FYI: Bike did not come with chain stay guard/tape or the rock guard shown in the stock photos. Im glad it did not come with the rock guard coz i wanted to add a MRP 2X chain guide. Also used a old tire tube to wrap around the chain stay.

This is my review from MTBR, I just did a cut and paste:

Totally loving the salsa horsethief! I bought this to replace my stumpjumper hardtail 29er. After experiencing backpain due to no rear suspension and 90mm of front travel on the stumpy, it was time for an upgrade! I debated over the spearfish and horsethief. Do I want lighter weight or more travel? Decided that more travel would be better for the type of trails I ride. The trails I ride at Annadel state park in norhtern California are one the roughest and rockiest trails Ive been on; the Horsethief is the weapon of choice for these type of trails!

Purchased a small and weighed in at 29.49lbs without pedals. I mail ordered mine from Big Kahuna Cycles in Colorado. Communication with these folks is one of the best experiences you can have over the internet. Chirs of Kahuna cycles answered all my email questions fast, and is extremely helpful, treated me like I was a long time customer.
    I wasnt too excited about the color, but with the large discount that Big Kahuna cycles is offering on these 2012 models, it was hard not to say no to this fantastic deal. Once I got the bike, assembly was easy, and to my surprise, the color looks way better in person. Reminds me of the olive drab color that the military uses. Im totally loving this color!

Switched to tubeless immediately. The stans no tubes wheelset is a breeze to setup. This wheelset did not come with stans tape, so I had to install the tape myself. Removed the tubes, added tubeless tire valves and two scoops of stans tubeless fluid per wheel. inflated it with a standard floor pump and it inflated immediately, no drama whatsoever, no need to use a air compressor.

The Horsethief climbs way better than expected. Ive read complaints of too much bob when climbing hills, but it has less bob than my 2008 specialized stumpjumper FS. If your a steady climber, there will be minimal rear shock compression when the shock switch is in full open. Access to the Pro pedal switch is easy if you want to sprint uphill. Front end feels heavy when climbing, otherwise it still climbs like a mountain goat! Im guessing its due to the heavy wheelset and tires. Wheels and tires on my xmas list!

Flying downhill is a blast on this machine! Front end is smooth over extreme rocky terrain, rear end suspension does a fantastic job of smoothing out the roughest trails! Rear does feel a little stiffer than the front, but should be remedied with a little suspension tweaking. The Horsethief has cleared every rocky section I can throw this bike at without bottoming out or the crank hitting rocks, a problem I had with my 10' specialized stumpy 29er HT. Control on the bike is very nimble through technical single track, bike just goes where you point it! No issues with the slightly longer wheelbase. The guys at Salsa hit a home run on this bike!
    Excellent review. Thanks. I cant wait to get mine

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Birthday Collector
    Here's a pic of one of the HT Pre-production bikes at the plaque near the top of Tam last December. Spec is off the current bike (production '12 was wayyyy nicer....) and even though it was different I loved this bike. Wish it had been mine, but think I'll grab one soon as riding SS rigid-only for the last 6 years (except for this bike...) has me wanting some FS riding in my future.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Round up time! Post pics of your Horsethief-ht_mt_tam_12-11_reduced.jpg  

R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member
    Just ordered a 2012 as well. The pricing is too good to pass up, especially with all the goodies on it! Pics when it arrives!

dvn
    mtbr member
    Loving my 2012 Horsethief!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Picked up my 2012 on close out a couple of Saturdays ago. Unbelievable bike.

Round up time! Post pics of your Horsethief-imageuploadedbytapatalk1350219568.787713.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have my medium horsethief being delivered by the end of the day. I can't wait to get a ride in.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

All built up. First trail ride is tomorrow.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Fiance's new little-big ripper.

Round up time! Post pics of your Horsethief-horsethief1.jpg

mtbr member
    Component List:

Size Large 2012 HT Frame
    CK InSet 2 headset
    Thomson 70mm 25.4 stem
    Groovy Luv bars 4130
    Ergon GP1 grips
    SLX Hydro Brakes M-665 180mm/160mm