mtbr member

New question here. Ring and cog combinations for EL Mariachi SS setup?

I'm going to build SS El Mar. I know that it has the Alternator dropouts which make SS setup easier.

So the question is - does the range of the Alternator's adjustment make it possible to use any chainring and cog combination (without dealing with halflink).

Please share your thoughts and setups which work for you.

mtbr member
    I mean the size (or the number of teeth) of the cog and the chaining. Are there any limitations (combinations which can't be used)?

surly inbred
    You're really limited only by personal preference. I use 32 & 33 tooth rings and cogs from 18-21t. Mostly, I stick with 32x20 because it allows the alternators to be slammed forward giving you short chainstay length & a nimble ride in the tight stuff.

mtbr member
    Thank's, TroutBum! Your reply is very useful. I've got 34 & 32t chainrings and cogs from 16-18t. I was going to use 32x18 at first (no mountains here). How much is the difference in chainstay length between 32x18 & 32x20? By the way, 34x18 is going to have nearly the same chainstay length as 32x20. However, I'm not sure if I can clear the steep climbs on 34x18. Also find 32x20 too low for local trails. But maybe I'm wrong.

mtbr member
    Maybe It will be usefull to buy bigger cogs (19,20,21) and to have all possible gear options.

surly inbred
    Quote Originally Posted by Igoreha View Post
    Maybe It will be usefull to buy bigger cogs (19,20,21) and to have all possible gear options.
    I think once you find a combo you like, you'll leave it unless you ride dramatically different terrain regularly. I'm not much for gear rec's cuz everyone's got a different story. I got french fry legs.. like skinny Mickey D's kinda skinny. And we have some hills. I like to climb them, not hike them.