mtbr member
    May 2014

Rider weight on a Spearfish question..

Is there any issue with rider weight-200lb+ on a Spearfish? I'm only asking this based on the amount of intended flex in the seat stay over time.

I really, really like this bike but wonder if I'm too much of a meat head for this ride.

Thank you...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullrun View Post
    Is there any issue with rider weight-200lb+ on a Spearfish? I'm only asking this based on the amount of intended flex in the seat stay over time.

I really, really like this bike but wonder if I'm too much of a meat head for this ride.

Thank you...
    I'd give Salsa a call. They were great in answering my questions before I bought a Horsethief frame. They'll likely know better than anyone else here, and if the person you speak with doesn't, they'll likely take your contact info and track an answer down for you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    you'll be fine. have your LBS adjust the suspension to your weight and riding type.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullrun View Post
    any issue with rider weight-200lb+ on a Spearfish?
    Quote Originally Posted by D Boogie C View Post
    you'll be fine. have your LBS adjust the suspension to your weight and riding type.
    I wouldn't give him a blanket "you'll be fine". He's concerned about it and didn't give a specific weight, just that he's over 200. I think it'd be prudent for him to ask Salsa, and I'd be interested in hearing what they tell him, if Bullrun does get an answer form them. I'm sure 201 lbs. isn't a problem, but there's also a point where you're exceeding what any frame was designed to handle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by peteer01 View Post
    I wouldn't give him a blanket "you'll be fine". He's concerned about it and didn't give a specific weight, just that he's over 200. I think it'd be prudent for him to ask Salsa, and I'd be interested in hearing what they tell him, if Bullrun does get an answer form them. I'm sure 201 lbs. isn't a problem, but there's also a point where you're exceeding what any frame was designed to handle.
    I would also think saying 200+ doesn't mean near 300 lbs. I ride with guys who are up around 250-280 lbs and they ride similar bikes with a few adjustments.

mtbr member
    I am 225 and have no problems with it. Except that it climbs hills really slowly. I'm sure that has nothing to do with the operator.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'm in the same boat as mikeridesabike (210 + gear) -> thought it was just mine that was slow, but feeling better now that I know it's the breed.

Definitely reach out to Salsa with your actual weight, but also include the year/model you are considering.

There are older non-through-axle models still being sold new (great prices!), but I'd expect these to be less tolerant of Clyde-class riders.

FWIW, mine is a 2012 #1 (through axles front and rear), and it has always been rock solid for me even at weights up to 220 + 10 lbs gear.

Good luck!
    Paul

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    I'm in the same boat as mikeridesabike (210 + gear) -> thought it was just mine that was slow, but feeling better now that I know it's the breed.

Good luck!
    Paul
    The Santa Cruz I used to have was slow too. And my road bike is really slow. I must keep getting bad bikes.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    The Santa Cruz I used to have was slow too. And my road bike is really slow. I must keep getting bad bikes.
    Have you tried upgrading the motor?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thank you to all...I think I'll be just fine with the Spearfish.

Bicycle Addict
    2012 Spearfish II rider here at over 200+, never had an issue.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing