mtbr member

Replacing the rear swing arm on a Spearfish

After a season of riding on my fish I have begone to notice something kind of strange. As my riding has become more aggressive and I am descending faster I can begin to feel side to side flex in the frame. If I keep the rear skewer crazy tight I don't notice it as much. Has any one replaced the rear swing arm for the one with a TA. Would it make a difference?

On your left.
    Jan 2004

Replacing the rear swing arm on a Spearfish

I've had the same sensation - check the 2 tiny screws of the der. hanger. Ultimately I rebuilt my rear wheel with thicker spokes and that helped a lot. I assume you can replace your QR rear triangle with 142mm type, but I've not read anyone claim that stiffness improvement is noticeable.
    M

mtbr member
    Every thing is tight so I don't think that's it. I also run Mavic C29ssmax wheels so I can't and don't think they should be tighter. The other thought I had was getting the DT skewer. But I am a little afraid it wont work with how deep the frame is around the drop outs. I haven't seen one in person to know how far the handle sticks out.

mtbr member
    I had the same sensation, check the swingarm & linkage bearings. Make sure the fasteners are torqued and lubed/loctited. My Easton rear hub/axle routinely loosens causing weird sensations too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    Every thing is tight so I don't think that's it. I also run Mavic C29ssmax wheels so I can't and don't think they should be tighter. The other thought I had was getting the DT skewer. But I am a little afraid it wont work with how deep the frame is around the drop outs. I haven't seen one in person to know how far the handle sticks out.
    the dt swiss 10mm axle works great. I run stans hubs so it is an easy conversion