mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Replacement tires for Gen 1 Fargo

Looks like the WTB Vulpines are nearing the end of their life. These tires have been great for the types of riding I use the Fargo for, ie. mostly paved road, a bunch of dirt roads/forest service roads, and unpaved paths. I have found the Fargo my favorite road touring bike, so it gets loaded with panniers and camping gear. The Vulpines provide a nice road ride, are fast, smooth out all the road gaps, yet grip on dirt roads and loose gravel. Going to miss them.

Looks like the WTB Vulpines are no longer made, so wondering what others are using for tires? Figure 80% paved roads, 20% dirt roads.

Thanx's

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I use Schwalbe Dureme folding HS410 (622 x 50mm)
    They roll smoothly on the road, are adequate off-road and are very hard to flat (unlike the Vulpine).
    I bought mine at Rivbike.com, a bit pricey at $75, but worth it so far (I only have ~ 600 miles on them so far)
    Here's the propaganda:

Schwalbe doesn't know how to make other-than-fantastic tires, and this is the one Schwalbe seems to think is its most fantastic for general riding and touring. And since they've been out of Supremes, we've taken to this one as a replacement, and although it weighs a about 40g more, it's tougher, better for more surfaces, and -- well you know, it's hard to step on the Supreme as a way to sell this one, since the Supreme is so good, and we'd still be selling it if we could get them.

But the DUREME is a newer tire, and it's entirely possible that HAD it been available when we latched onto the SUPREME, we'd have latched onto this one instead. Not a sure thing, but maybe 50-50.

The DUREME is an all-purpose road and touring tire with enough tread to make it good on wet roads (as good as tire can be), and halfway confidence-inspiring on dirt. Like the SUPREME, the BIG DU has Schwalbe's lasted, lightest, tightest weave kevlar belt, and a super strong sidewall.

It costs an arm and a leg, as all Schwalbes with this casing and belt do, but is a tire that'll last you 8,000 or so miles and probably never get a flat or blow out a sidewall. Easily it is. We're able to feel your pain. We mark this tire up minimally. Get it. Schwalbe calls it a 40, and this time they're close, at 38.89mm or so on a 23mm wide rim after 8 months -- the length of time Jay's been riding this tire on his Sam. It looks new but dirty, and he rides it hard and everywhere, and no flats.

550 grams for the 700c x 40

Now also available in 700c x 35, 50 and 26" x 2.0".
    The truth will set you free... But first it will piss you off

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    i will miss my vulpines too, when they wear through. good tires.

i'm looking at:

kenda happy medium

clement xplor mso (but its only 40mm)
    X’PLOR MSO | Clement Cycling, Cyclocross Tires, Adventure Tires, Mountain Bike Tires, Road Bike Tires

i have the race kings that came with my gen 2 hanging on the rack, like em enough. not as smooth as the vulpines, and i'll likely put them on again this fall.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Those Kenda's look interesting, but way too narrow. I know many folks talk about the Schwalbe tires, long lasting, no flats, but I seem to remember talk about them being heavy & slow. The Dureme appears to be geared to fix those attributes. How have they been for "cush" on the road? The Vulpines seem to soak up all the little bumps, kinda like a built in suspension. Did you have the Vulpines before the Duremes?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by VTFargo View Post
    Those Kenda's look interesting, but way too narrow. I know many folks talk about the Schwalbe tires, long lasting, no flats, but I seem to remember talk about them being heavy & slow. The Dureme appears to be geared to fix those attributes. How have they been for "cush" on the road? The Vulpines seem to soak up all the little bumps, kinda like a built in suspension. Did you have the Vulpines before the Duremes?
    not all of the schwalbes are slow. you have to find the right blend of compound and protection that you are after.

the furious freds look like a vulpine...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I went with the bonty xr-1s have about 1000 miles on them. I have liked them better than the vulpines.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Another vote for race kings - my first set lasted a bit over 3000km on mixed road/dirt including touring / towing / racing etc. I was surprised they lasted that long.

Furious Freds are a race tyre and based on how my racing ralphs lasted, I wouldn't expect them to last very long on road, especially under a touring load.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Galloway View Post
    I went with the bonty xr-1s have about 1000 miles on them. I have liked them better than the vulpines.
    These tires rule. Super fast, wear very well. Negatives include sketchy lateral grip in loose stuff, but these only see gravel duty and work awesome there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Replacement tires for Gen 1 Fargo-3gr-vegas-12-013.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I replaced my front tire with a Kenda small block 8. I didn't have much choice at the shop I was nearest when I noticed the hole in the sidewall.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rallyrcr View Post
    I replaced my front tire with a Kenda small block 8. I didn't have much choice at the shop I was nearest when I noticed the hole in the sidewall.
    Bummer on the sidewall, what/where did that?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by VTFargo View Post
    Bummer on the sidewall, what/where did that?
    not sure where it happened. I noticed it putting air into the tire before a weekend trip down a rail trail. the tube was bulging through.