mtbr member
    May 2013

Recreate defunct xxl Fargo with another frame?

It seems I missed the boat for the xxl fargos. They are fairly rare on eBay now too. Is there another manufacturer's steel xxl frame out there with geometry approaching the xxl fargo? The surly ogre comes in xxl, but the contoured seat tube results in short chain stays, no good for panniers.

Any chance the xxl will return in a future production run?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Just checking in to say you are not alone... I am just over 6'5" and have been looking for an XXL Fargo frame for the last few months. I've read in a couple of places and heard from my LBS that the XXL Fargo had "issues", but it seems like it was one of only a few off-road touring bikes that was made for me (on paper at least) and I regret never tracking one down for a test ride when they were made.

I have been looking at various alternatives including some of the Ti frames made by Lynskey: the euro-spec M290 (virtually identical to the Kona Raijin) comes in XXL and is pretty similar to the El Mariachi Ti, so I'm hoping to find a Fargo doppleganger out there one day as well. For now it's looking like a touring version of a 24" Ogre might be in the cards, but like you I'm worried about how the shorter chainstays will accomodate panniers with my size 47 shoes.

mtbr member
    Have you considered Triton or a Chinese Ti manufacturer? I like my Fargo, but if I had my time again, I'd have just done that myself. Send them the geometry of the XXL Fargo and a list of where you want stops and nutserts and get a quote from them. Same for the fork.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    That's a great idea and one I have considered, but I don't know enough about frame design to do it with much confidence. There's a thread on LFGSS where a guy designed a titanium frame (using a 24" Surly Ogre as inspiration!!) that went silent a few months ago, much to my disappointment.

mtbr member
    I don't think the XXL Fargo was all the different from the XL. IIRC, the head tube was 10mm longer, ETT was only 5 or 10mm longer, and the seat tube was 50mm longer. To me, the only big difference there is the seat tube length, which is pretty meaningless.
    FS: Chinese carbony goodness, trade for a steel frame?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The seat tube length isn't meaningless when you're running a frame bag. But I would contact Carver about a custom Ti. Probably the easiest way to get a decent price. He'll do the communication with his foreign builder.